Drive Club to steal the spotlight from GT6?

Hmmm...

• I am inclined to agree with this predicament.

Votes: 35 9.6%
  • Blasphemy! PDs GT6 shall be Godlike!

Votes: 110 30.2%
  • Who cares, brah? The more, the merrier!

Votes: 199 54.7%
  • Forza 5 will be the only true driving simulator...

Votes: 20 5.5%

• Total voters
http://www.playstationlifestyle.net/2013/06/12/the-cars-in-driveclub-on-ps4-are-the-highest-definition-models-ever-used-in-a-game/

The Cars in DriveClub on PS4 are “The Highest Definition Models Ever Used in a Game”

They still look somehow pretty, cheap. :ouch:
For a supposed next gen tittle, its far from mind blowing.

Lighting and shaders need much work, that for sure.

Samus
You don't need to park in front of most GT5 trees to see they're awful. Bushes, as well. Well, most foliage.

In GT5 it really depends on the track, on Le Mans, Autumn Ring and other "standard tracks" your completely right. But I think on Spa and the Nordschleife they look pretty convincing, at least for the amount of single trees on those tracks.

But for all the tree lovers, there is hope! If you look at the new footage from Autumn Ring, you will find that PD has completely reworked the trees on this track. That also could indicate that they will rework La Sarth too.

Indeed, some are certainly worse than others. La Sarthe straight is the worst, especially the final section after the kink on Mulsanne. I don't know how anyone can fail to notice the awful flat "bush walls" on both sides and poor, dead looking trees sparsely planted.

Hopefully they tidy most of it up.

If the game isn't fun I don't care how awesome the cars look. I can see cars in magazines, on the web, at car shows... nice looking game cars does not impress me beyond the first ten minutes if it plays like a title on SNES.

http://www.playstationlifestyle.net/2013/06/12/the-cars-in-driveclub-on-ps4-are-the-highest-definition-models-ever-used-in-a-game/

The Cars in DriveClub on PS4 are “The Highest Definition Models Ever Used in a Game”

Drive Club car models are only 250,000 polygons. Thats just slightly more then GT5 ingame models (200k) and way below GT5 photo travel cars which boast 500k. Forza Vista car models are 750,000 polygons

So how is it the high definition ever used in a game?

Im more interested in the precision time of day and cloud cover. Also the 'miles of draw distance' that you can actually race on has me very excited

I know alot of bad talk has gone around about Drive Club's visuals. But for the first time I got to see some off screen gameplay in HD. In certain areas, it looks magnificent. The road textures are photoreal. At times on the side of the road there are literally 1,000 3D spectators cheering you on, and theres literally thousands scattered around the track. In the distance over rolling hills you can see the shadows of hyper realistic clouds passing over.

The cars are maybe just equal to Gran Turismo and below Forza, but the scenery and track detail makes up for that IMO.

Its been confirmed the demo at E3 is far from complete and probably an old build, so issues like popup etc will probably be cleared up in time for launch

I've saw a lot of talk about the way DC looks but almost nothing about the way it plays which is by far the more important of the 2.

Honestly, Drive Club doesn't really tickle my fancy. I'm not into a social lifestyle or being part of a team. And although the game looks great, I doubt it will be better than GT6. It's just your generic Super Car-only Arcade racer. I've seen many games like that come and go, and it being in a new gen console doesn't mean it will be great.

If I get a PS4 this year, It's definitely a game that I would buy (since there isn't much to choose from), but it won't replace GT6. Never in a million years.

And I believe GT6 will be stealing all the attention from Drive Club. There is no doubt about it.

This sums it up for me, one of the developers referred to it in a video as a "nice social driving game." Not a simulation, more about playing with cars with friends. Nothing I have seen indicates that Drive Club will have challenging and realistic physics. Look at how controller inputs show up in the game, the cars appear to be floating over the track and unaffected by weight, momentum, or any other forces.

This sums it up for me, one of the developers referred to it in a video as a "nice social driving game." Not a simulation, more about playing with cars with friends. Nothing I have seen indicates that Drive Club will have challenging and realistic physics. Look at how controller inputs show up in the game, the cars appear to be floating over the track and unaffected by weight, momentum, or any other forces.

Very good point. The physics. It will probably be one of those games that's fun to play for a couple of days or weeks, and then you get totally bored of it due to how dull the handling feels. Or worse, if the physics are totally broken like in Shift and Shift 2.

Honestly, Drive Club doesn't really tickle my fancy. I'm not into a social lifestyle or being part of a team. And although the game looks great, I doubt it will be better than GT6. It's just your generic Super Car-only Arcade racer. I've seen many games like that come and go, and it being in a new gen console doesn't mean it will be great.

If I get a PS4 this year, It's definitely a game that I would buy (since there isn't much to choose from), but it won't replace GT6. Never in a million years.

And I believe GT6 will be stealing all the attention from Drive Club. There is no doubt about it.

It's a free-to-play if you have ps+, so I guess every early PS4 purchaser will download it. Whether that makes you think it will be good because they want you to try it for free, or bad because they can't sell it as a full price title is up to you.

Just treat it as a demo rather than a full game, I guess.

At this point, getting it for free isn't motivating me at all. I haven't heard a single interesting thing about the game. Not saying that it's bad, but graphics and social features aren't going to make me buy (or download) anything. It's especially annoying since right now it's the only racing game for PS4.

This new emphasis on the social aspect of gaming just does not appeal to me at all. I play games to get away from people, not to spend half my time trying to find a good lobby that doesn't have cheaters, racism, homophobia, cheaters, getting kicked off...

This new emphasis on the social aspect of gaming just does not appeal to me at all. I play games to get away from people, not to spend half my time trying to find a good lobby that doesn't have cheaters, racism, homophobia, cheaters, getting kicked off...

same here, also cheaters!

:)

At this point, getting it for free isn't motivating me at all. I haven't heard a single interesting thing about the game. Not saying that it's bad, but graphics and social features aren't going to make me buy (or download) anything. It's especially annoying since right now it's the only racing game for PS4.

Theres always NFS Rivals and The Crew, but I don't think those two games won't be interesting either. :\

I hear you. That's the only reason I play videogames for too. Enough drama irl just to take it into a videogame that's supposed to be relaxing and help you forget the day.

I wonder what the PS + edition of DriveCLub will be like....

I'm guessing it will be a watered down version.

They said fewer cars and tracks, but the online will be the same, of course on the fewer tracks and cars you will have :sly:

And after watching gameplay videos, I think I will stick to the free version and wait for a price drop or not buy it at all

I just watched the E3 video of Drive club, im really not impressed, the initial video shown when the PS4 was announced a while back looked good, this new video looks like a different sub standard game.

Amen to that!

Developers seem to think that everyone plays 1. the same games as their friends (many of my friends aren't gamers, have different systems or don't play the same games as me) and 2. play games purely for social reasons.

'I play games to get away from people' is the mantra I've always had with gaming, even as a kid. A new game for me is something to get buried into, like a good album or book.

Drive Club looks rubbish. From the gameplay footage I've seen it doesn't even look that graphically advanced, especially when you compare it to do what PD can do with the PS3, nevermind the new system...

I just watched the E3 video of Drive club, im really not impressed, the initial video shown when the PS4 was announced a while back looked good, this new video looks like a different sub standard game.

Probably because the first showing at the PS4 launch was a slavishly prepared graphical demonstration, and nothing to do with the actual game at all.

It's the same reason I've not paid much attention to the Forza 5 Prague stuff. The actual gameplay stuff does look really crisp and lush, but the prepared videos, and AutoVista stuff, are not really fooling anyone, as beautiful as it all is.

okay just saying i think the fact that theyre giving it away for free should be saying something... sad as it is, there is a bigger market for games that are fun and easy than hard and realisitic ones. even though im not very good, i prefer the realisitic ones myself.

Indeed, some are certainly worse than others. La Sarthe straight is the worst, especially the final section after the kink on Mulsanne. I don't know how anyone can fail to notice the awful flat "bush walls" on both sides and poor, dead looking trees sparsely planted.

Hopefully they tidy most of it up.

Forza 3 had the best version of it, both FM4 and GT5 are crap, while GT5 is kind of tolerable for the most part, FM4's one is right in your face the whole time, from the moment you take on the first sections of the track you start looking at wierd colored and shaped trees that look like big green stones just placed one of top of the other.

I hope somebody gets it right this time, Codemasters are in my opinion the best at creating track envirorments.

Yes,too bad they dropped the ball with Grid 2,it's not often(imo) that a prequel is better than its successor..one of the worst games I've ever bought.:indiff:

This looks like a beefed up version of Test Drive Unlimited 1 and 2. No way can any driving game be better than any GT series. Maybe GT have missed a few steps where it does not have that Arcade feel to give the noobs and easier experience of fun but PD have specifically made GT 1 through 5 for a reason, and that is so that if you are trully a serious motorhead by way of any race sim that you can master then why not try the best which is Gran Turismo. No race sim will ever be as good as GT when it comes to the physics and clarity of the game that PD produce not to mention the accuracy of the mapped tracks. I do wish that PD would spend the money and get more official licenses for the vehicles but that's why there is a variety of race sims out there for the not so experienced to try out. I'll buy it just to have something different to race every now and then but I dont think it will be a long term contender to GT.

This looks like a beefed up version of Test Drive Unlimited 1 and 2. No way can any driving game be better than any GT series. Maybe GT have missed a few steps where it does not have that Arcade feel to give the noobs and easier experience of fun but PD have specifically made GT 1 through 5 for a reason, and that is so that if you are trully a serious motorhead by way of any race sim that you can master then why not try the best which is Gran Turismo. No race sim will ever be as good as GT when it comes to the physics and clarity of the game that PD produce not to mention the accuracy of the mapped tracks. I do wish that PD would spend the money and get more official licenses for the vehicles but that's why there is a variety of race sims out there for the not so experienced to try out. I'll buy it just to have something different to race every now and then but I dont think it will be a long term contender to GT.

lol. Buy a PC. Try a real racing sim.

Back