Drive Club to steal the spotlight from GT6?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Gran_Turismo
  • 341 comments
  • 36,405 views

Hmmm...

  • I am inclined to agree with this predicament.

    Votes: 35 9.6%
  • Blasphemy! PDs GT6 shall be Godlike!

    Votes: 110 30.1%
  • Who cares, brah? The more, the merrier!

    Votes: 200 54.8%
  • Forza 5 will be the only true driving simulator...

    Votes: 20 5.5%

  • Total voters
    365
Its pathetic Sony still can't get Porsche.:ouch:

I wouldn't pay lots of money to EA for Porsche, there is no value to paying them money for them.
 
Drive Club is definitely reaching out to the Need 4 Speed gamer. I'm not interested at all. Give me GT6 all day every day.
What he said.

And after tooting around in RUFs in both GT5 and Forza 4, and then the Porsches in Forza, I must say that the differences are pretty much nostalgic. Sure, I'd love to have that bronze badge on the car too, but you're still getting Porsche in RUF without the blood stealing from the EA vampire.

By the way, that alt-rock tune from the GT6 E3 trailer is stuck in my head now. Not that it's a bad thing, but it's making me ravenous for fall...
 
By the way, that alt-rock tune from the GT6 E3 trailer is stuck in my head now. Not that it's a bad thing, but it's making me ravenous for fall...

Contain yourself TD. I have faith in you, no matter how hard it gets.;)
 
HA HAHA GT6's E3 trailer makes Drive Club's one look like Mario Cart :sly:

That new lighting engine sure makes a big difference...
 
I'm still not confinced.
I'm very curious how it drives, the developers said "This is NOT a simulator". Which has me worried.

hopefully Jordan will get a chance to play a demo and mae a comparison with GT6.

Edit: if it is anything like NFS I'm not touching it.
 
HA HAHA GT6's E3 trailer makes Drive Club's one look like Mario Cart :sly:

That new lighting engine sure makes a big difference...


You do know the GT6 trailer was not in any way, shape, or form, real time, right? Its the same enhanced trailers we've gotten for years. It will look like that on PS4. Not PS3. Maybe in photomode as well.

Drive Club (and other next gen racers) have much more natural lighting. GT6 lighting has an overwhelming bloom effect and looks like a video game

004-2_zpsd5736bc0.gif

_
_
_
_
_
_
005-2_zpsbd5b3268.gif

_
 
Looks more smooth and greater dynamic range to me, DC looks a bit plastic and flat

ibbKWdDCbQkmHK.gif
 
Could someone kindly make a gif of the RUF doing circles? :)
 
I'd be surprised if GT6 looks like that when we play it on our systems. It'll be close, sure - Matterhorn looks so pretty, and may be the long-lost mystery track from an early FT-86 trailer - but GT5 had similar trailers, that never were quite matched by the replays in the full game. It's hard to put my finger on what, exactly, but they seem more... polished.

As for RUF: no, it's not Porsche, or any sort of replacement for it, for anybody who cares about anything relating to motorsports, at any rate. If you want some mega-powered 911-shaped vehicles, sure, it's a replacement, and maybe throw in the odd Boxster/Cayman one too, but to ignore the vast garage of other options Porsche proper offers (to say nothing of the 911 variations RUF misses out on) is just silly.
 
More to do with the editing and camera angles, Nurburgring looks exactly like in GT5, apart from the new lighting engine
 
the only way you'll see graphics remotely close to that trailer is by playing it on PS4, it's incredibly easy to see it's been pre-rendered, prepare for jaggies.
 
In the same way this is coming from my GT5 :dopey:

oQhufPS.jpg
 
GT5 had similar trailers, that never were quite matched by the replays in the full game. It's hard to put my finger on what, exactly, but they seem more... polished.
Yeah, they look like precisely focused 70mm IMAX film of real cars, which is beyond high def. However, GT5 already looks so freaking awesome that I'm not going to complain about any improvements that don't constantly fool me into thinking I'm watching racing film. I'm totally fine with "awesomer" graphics. ;)

As for Porsche vs RUF, I am getting my experience through the filter of Forza 4, so maybe it's not as awesome as we thought. ;) But I do think they did a good enough job with their version of reality to represent both car families pretty well, and I don't recall anyone remarking that one or the other was totally bogus. When I finally got around to buying the Porsche Car Pack, I didn't hop in one and go, "Oh snap, this is so different." With one caveat on that, as when I bought the Flying Lizard Porsche, it was a very slippery experience compared to a RUF I race modded. I didn't quite know what to make of that.

By the way CCJ, that is an incredible pic. It looks blasted real.
 
This looks a bit like the usual early release under-delivering rubbish tbh. Often with decent graphics but shallow gameplay, and this is obviously arcade through and through, which is fine, but it has to be a great arcade racer to make me interested, not just one with nicer looking cars and weird floating displays. You never know, though.
 
Photomode...take a screenshot of a replay :lol: the game looks nothing like that in motion.

Exactly. All trailers are pre-rendered from insanely high resolutions, far above what is possible in real time. GT5 doesn't look as good as the trailers for it and neither will GT6 or pretty much any game that uses rendered gameplay for trailers.
 
Photomode...take a screenshot of a replay :lol: the game looks nothing like that in motion.

Exactly. All trailers are pre-rendered from insanely high resolutions, far above what is possible in real time. GT5 doesn't look as good as the trailers for it and neither will GT6 or pretty much any game that uses rendered gameplay for trailers.
The difference is that we know how the "HD" quality of the gameplay looked inconsistent. With GT6 from what we've seen, the gameplay looks pretty damn fluid/consistent. SO much smoother, and in GT5, while the graphics in cockpit view usually had inconsistencies whilst the tracks looked very natural and smooth (apart from the screen tear), I think this is going to be almost completely resolved with the release of GT6.
 
Actually the true gameplay we've seen so far was pretty choppy in terms of framerates, the people playing it at the Silverstone event said as much. Yes it was a demo split build and it'll surely get better but it certainly wasn't looking as fluid as the pre-rendered trailer.

GT6 for the most part will look the same as GT5 and that's fine. You can't expect anything more on the same hardware.
 
Actually the true gameplay we've seen so far was pretty choppy in terms of framerates, the people playing it at the Silverstone event said as much. Yes it was a demo split build and it'll surely get better but it certainly wasn't looking as fluid as the pre-rendered trailer.

GT6 for the most part will look the same as GT5 and that's fine. You can't expect anything more on the same hardware.
But then that further proves the build they used at that event could have been a much earlier version than people think. Even if I'm/we're wrong, I'd be utterly surprised to see that PD aren't going to have GT6 locked at 60fps. Knowledge about GT5 and details about GT6 hint at this being true. To go into detail, I cannot. I'm not the person to ask about any knowledge about what the features and technology GT6 has and utilizes to explain using an "expert's" knowledge on this subject.

Nothing can look like a pre-rendered trailer though. Those are teasers more than anything and I think we shouldn't ever use them to compare them with/to gameplay. A few things here and there in the teasers you can, but not most.
 
Last edited:
More to do with the editing and camera angles, Nurburgring looks exactly like in GT5, apart from the new lighting engine

Yea I dont know where people are getting pre-rendered from, to me it looks like video editing and the creators having more options with camera settings.In game you dont have any options over camera settings in replay mode so of course it wont look as good but if you were able to slow it down and adjust misc. settings like in photomode it would be possible to get it to look just as good as a trailer.Like the picture you posted, I took pics in photomode to mimic the in-game chase cam and if I was to add the hud I doubt anybody would be able to tell it was taken in photomode.But adjust FOV,exposure you get trailer quality picture(aside from shadows and dust prior to taking the picture.)
 
Yea I dont know where people are getting pre-rendered from, to me it looks like video editing and the creators having more options with camera settings.In game you dont have any options over camera settings in replay mode so of course it wont look as good but if you were able to slow it down and adjust misc. settings like in photomode it would be possible to get it to look just as good as a trailer.Like the picture you posted, I took pics in photomode to mimic the in-game chase cam and if I was to add the hud I doubt anybody would be able to tell it was taken in photomode.But adjust FOV,exposure you get trailer quality picture(aside from shadows and dust prior to taking the picture.)
👍 That's something I wasn't able to touch on. Some things in the #2 concept trailer totally looked like it was gameplay.
 
Fan-made video from an amateur,with very little editing


With further editing and more camera options it would look like a legit aventador trailer for gt5

edit I like this one better

He uses bumper cam to get better views of the car, and its in real time.
 
Last edited:
👍 That's something I wasn't able to touch on. Some things in the #2 concept trailer totally looked like it was gameplay.

It was gameplay in the sense that it was in game but it wasn't rendered by the PS3 in realtime. It was rendered from high resolution assets on a PC. Just look at most of the trailers from E3, they were pretty much all either completely CGI or pre-rendered gameplay.

Nobody uses pure gameplay in trailers. Not PD, not T10, not anyone. It's in game engine but it's pre-rendered.

Fan-made video from an amateur,with very little editing


With further editing and more camera options it would look like a legit aventador trailer for gt5

Yes, and look at all the jaggies and AA issues. PD trailers look better than that and not just in the camera work.
 
If anyone is into the GT series because of graphics then he is doing it wrongly. GT5 and most probably GT6 won't be on anyone's top5 list of best lookers.
 
No jaggies and AA issues dont mean its pre-rendered that could mean they may have a different build,we dont know.My point was that aside from jaggies and aa issues the differences arent as extreme as some try to make it seem in my opinion and the fact that an amateur using in-game video can get a video to look almost as good as an official trailer further shows to me at least,that the differences between a trailer and actual gameplay isnt that extreme and could possibly get it to look nearly identical with better video editing.
 
It was gameplay in the sense that it was in game but it wasn't rendered by the PS3 in realtime. It was rendered from high resolution assets on a PC. Just look at most of the trailers from E3, they were pretty much all either completely CGI or pre-rendered gameplay.

Nobody uses pure gameplay in trailers. Not PD, not T10, not anyone. It's in game engine but it's pre-rendered.



Yes, and look at all the jaggies and AA issues. PD trailers look better than that and not just in the camera work.
Oh, I thought I pointed that out. I might've not been explicit. For the most part, we can get a sense on how the gameplay looks. Obviously, replays are rendered at a higher quality. I think there were times when we saw "replays" in the trailers that weren't CGI.


No jaggies and AA issues dont mean its pre-rendered that could mean they may have a different build,we dont know.My point was that aside from jaggies and aa issues the differences arent as extreme as some try to make it seem in my opinion and the fact that an amateur using in-game video can get a video to look almost as good as an official trailer further shows to me at least,that the differences between a trailer and actual gameplay isnt that extreme and could possibly get it to look nearly identical with better video editing.
I don't see it. You have a good point. Is it that they're not seeing what you're trying to get across?
 
I'm not bashing PD or anyone here, I'm just saying, the games industry as a whole creates trailers from pre-rendered footage, they don't create them from real in-game footage as we would with the game and for that reason they'll always look better than the final product. There was no CGI in the PD trailer that I saw but it was certainly pre-rendered.
 
The thing is pre-rendered means it was made and recorded on something other than the ps3 hardware, you cant say just because it looks better that means its pre-rendered because like I said it could be a different version.For example unoptimized and riddled with glitches.The whole pre-rendered VS real time trailers thing is a cluster&^&k because ,it could be real time but a completely different version than the one we get plus a plethora of other reasons why ours dont look like theirs.One thing I really noticed between pre-rendered trailers and real time trailers are the lighting, and to me the lighting ( looking beyong the video editing) looks like the videos we've seen of gt6 thus far.
 
Back