DS3 on the Go

• Thread starter Calcifer
  • 35 comments
Calcifer
Apparently, the Dualshock 3 will work on the PSP GO. Did anyone try it out on GT already? And is RUMBLE supported?

Pretty sure that the only thing you can do with it is cruise the PSP XMB. You can't play games with it, and the analog sticks aren't functional.

I don't have a DS3, but I have one of my regular PS3 controllers hooked up to my Go right now. GT plays absolutely beautifully with it. Steering precision is fantastic using a normal analog stick instead of the nub.

I'm sure running the Bluetooth will drain the battery a little faster, but I'll typically have my Go plugged in to the power supply anyway, so no biggie.

I don't have a DS3, but I have one of my regular PS3 controllers hooked up to my Go right now. GT plays absolutely beautifully with it. Steering precision is fantastic using a normal analog stick instead of the nub.

I'm sure running the Bluetooth will drain the battery a little faster, but I'll typically have my Go plugged in to the power supply anyway, so no biggie.

Sounds like people playing through adhoc party with a PS3 controller will have a slight advantage. For 250 bucks, I think they deserve it.

They definitely would have an advantage, yes. You still need to use the face buttons to modulate gas/brake, so that doesn't really change, but maintaining a consistent racing line is way easier with a PS3 controller.

Minor update, not necessarily related to GT PSP: I tested out some PSOne classics while using the PS3 controller, and for those titles all the same buttons map. In other words, R2 and L2 exist, as does the right analog stick and R3/L3. There's also an option under the settings to enable or disable rumble support, which tells me that PSOne titles with rumble (i.e., GT1 or GT2) will support full DS3 functionality.

Taffey, when you say "face buttons", you mean 'X' and 'square', correct?

I'm surprised Sony doesn't advertise that feature, because that isn't something that just happens. I'd imagine that would be a somewhat strong selling point. They had to have programmed firmware 5.70 (or 6.00) with that feature in mind, because I don't think the PS1 classics ever read the second analog stick at all (though I never play any PS1 games above firmware 3.72, so I don't know that for certain).

Ok, just tested out my Go with Medal of Honor and I can confirm that both analog sticks on the PS3 controller are recognized.

My friends, this is a great day.

Anyone know if GT PSP supports Rumble?

hmmm... how hard would it be to make a wheel work?

I'm surprised Sony doesn't advertise that feature, because that isn't something that just happens. I'd imagine that would be a somewhat strong selling point. They had to have programmed firmware 5.70 (or 6.00) with that feature in mind, because I don't think the PS1 classics ever read the second analog stick at all (though I never play any PS1 games above firmware 3.72, so I don't know that for certain).

I can see the negative press already. "Ok I just paid $250 for a handheld now I need to buy a $54 controller" LOL. i'm 100% sure some guy at G4TV would start that mess and the takers would follow.....

Anyone know if GT PSP supports Rumble?

I'm 99% sure it doesn't support rumble. :/ The only time I've found the option to enable vibration is within the PSOne controller settings menu.

I can see the negative press already. "Ok I just paid $250 for a handheld now I need to buy a $54 controller" LOL. i'm 100% sure some guy at G4TV would start that mess and the takers would follow.....
I hate (with an intense burning fury) the Go, and I would even call that out for the BS that it is. I'm not as enamored with how awesome it is now that I remembered that you have to have a PS3 anyways to register the DS3 with the Go (so the idea is essentially pointless for PS1 games), but it still isn't some kind of money swindle.
Of course, people argued that exact thing when Killzone PSP and PSP + were announced, so I guess people are just idiots.

It almost certainly wasn't coded with the DS3 itself in mind, so there is no logical reason it would be coded to support steering wheels.

It might be a good selling point if there is actually multiplayer games that can take advantage of this. But then again who wants to camp around a tiny screen like that?

BUT there are tonnes of GT fans out there that spend allot of money to make there GT experience more enjoyable and they will probably embrace this feature with open arms...

Buy 300$ console
Insert 50$ game
Plug in 300$ G25
Mount G25 on a 200$-500$ chassis...

Luckily I bought my psp3000 3 days ago so I am going to try and return it since the store said "if for any reason you are not satisfied then return it withing 14 days"...

Last edited:
I'm not as enamored with how awesome it is now that I remembered that you have to have a PS3 anyways to register the DS3 with the Go.

Is this really true? I would have thought you could just pair the PSP Go with a DS3 and that's it. They're both using standard Bluetooth profiles (HID profile) so it should even be possible to use something other than a DS3. For example you could use a mobile phone with the Go using the keyboard as PSP buttons.

Wow I didnt know this about the Go... Ever since I bought GTPSP I have been wishing for Dual Shock control. Using the PSP is horrible, the buttons are just on/off switches and impossible to use a high powered RWD car with when you have assists off. A DS3 would make life a lot easier with its analogue buttons.

Is this really true? I would have thought you could just pair the PSP Go with a DS3 and that's it. They're both using standard Bluetooth profiles (HID profile) so it should even be possible to use something other than a DS3. For example you could use a mobile phone with the Go using the keyboard as PSP buttons.
According to the Playstation US board, you need to pair the DS3 with the Go using the PS3, because the PSP Go only has an integrated bluetooth profile for media controls. Whether that is accurate I cannot confirm.

nasanu
Wow I didnt know this about the Go... Ever since I bought GTPSP I have been wishing for Dual Shock control. Using the PSP is horrible, the buttons are just on/off switches and impossible to use a high powered RWD car with when you have assists off. A DS3 would make life a lot easier with its analogue buttons.
I really, really doubt that the game was programmed with the DS3 in mind.

Can you use a controller with a Go while it is in the "closed" position (when the screen covers the buttons)? It would seem the smaller form factor might be easier to position in front of you.

I really, really doubt that the game was programmed with the DS3 in mind.

As does everyone else... So? That does not change the fact that braking and accelerator inputs are digital and would benefit from analogue controls.

Not having analogue input really hurts GTPSP especially when you get to the more powerful cars like the Enzo and stuff. I wonder if someone can make DS3 work on PSP 000's

i'm surprise no one mention that the Go have TV out....

just hook the Go to the tv and play games with the DS3 :D

Back