DS4 snap countersteer lock (read OP)

No it isn't, my friends is identical and every other game is fine on both of our setups. The lag is on the steering input only, if it was input lag the throttle etc would be delayed too.
Much of that is down to intentionally animation lag, not steering input lag.

Assetto Corsa doesn't have it but as a result, even when being super careful, the wheel animation is very jittery.

Much of that is down to intentionally animation lag, not steering input lag.

Assetto Corsa doesn't have it but as a result, even when being super careful, the wheel animation is very jittery.

Take a car our with rs tyres (to eliminate problems like understeer), turn quickly from lock to lock and you will see the lag, it's horrendous. It's more than an animation lag, it's game breaking and i will be cancelling my preorder as a result of this.

Last edited:
To add to all the oddities that have people are identifying/researching, here's another one I think I've figured out now.

So it seems that the game adjusts steering saturation depending on your speed. Saturation is the %age input on your controller that translates to 100% steering in the game. It is like a deadzone setting, reducing the available input range of your controller stick, but at the far ends of its input, rather than at its centre.

At lower speeds, PD appears to have set saturation to be less than 100% controller input. You can see this if you stop your car, and slowly start moving your controller stick. You'll see the steering wheel in-game stop moving before you've moved your stick all the way to the right/left. This has the effect of making small steering inputs at low speeds more sensitive than they really should be. I don't know why PD have done this.

Additionally, I think this is combining with the game's overly low steering linearity in a bad way. Low linearity means that, normally, the steering is insensitive to small inputs (eg. moving the stick from 0-50% only moves in-game steering from 0-25%), but conversely, steering is sensitive to larger inputs (so moving the stick from 50-100% moves in-game steering from 25-100%).

Because of the saturation thing I'm not entirely sure that the game has overly low linearity, but I suspect it does because when I was driving the Gr.3 Jag round BB Raceway, on the banked sections, where you're at high speed and having to maintain a large, steady steering input, the car felt quite twitchy and difficult to manage.

If I'm correct about these saturation and linearity settings, then PD have managed to create a setting that is both sensitive at low speeds with small steering inputs, and high speeds with large inputs. This is very counter-intuitive - with other games I'm used to one or the other, but not both! I think it's this that's giving me the 'odd' feeling mentioned above, and combined with the game's slow steering speed, it's really making it more difficult to anticipate what the car is doing than it should be.

I mean these things aren't game-breaking or unplayable or anything, but I am in the bizarre situation where I now have better controller settings for PCARS2 (which actually has options to adjust all this stuff) than a for GT game..............no offence to SMS, but if you'd said that to me a month ago, I would have laughed at you!

Excellent clue TRGT. That is a gr8 example of constructive post - which examines a technical backgroud of what PD was trying to implement and achieve, and which side effects (literally) brought. This is totally oposite to all those posts from Ph Masters of SimGames and rustical purists of SimDriving, who would have recognized the bug if they at least tried the "useless" cockpit camera view :]

Everybody that cares about fixing this issue please post it here too:

https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/GTSBeta

I'm not sure if PD still keeps an eye on the bugtracker but it's worth a shot. Please include that you tried setting controller sensitivity to max and it was fine in closed beta/GT6.
Category: system - controls

Thanks

I have no boxes for steps and results. I tried putting everything into Additional information, but it won't send.

While this issue does not effect FWD & 4WD cars that much, RWD cars like the M4 or 4C are virtually impossible to control when you get oversteer which usually snaps back and takes you into the barriers which seems to be down to delayed contoller input. If you think ahead you can compensate a bit but its very frustrating.

In the closed beta you could easily balance the car on the throttle which was great, but in this demo I'm having to drive with TC on 2 to keep it on the road.

While this issue does not effect FWD & 4WD cars that much, RWD cars like the M4 or 4C are virtually impossible to control when you get oversteer which usually snaps back and takes you into the barriers which seems to be down to delayed contoller input. If you think ahead you can compensate a bit but its very frustrating.

In the closed beta you could easily balance the car on the throttle which was great, but in this demo I'm having to drive with TC on 2 to keep it on the road.
Sounds like the early Beta builds. It was fixed in 1.5 and cars felt much better to drive with a controller because of it.

If people could keep this thread updated for the first few days after launch that’d be great. Curious to see if this is just a demo issue.

I never played the beta but I honestly don't see what the issue is. I also drive with TC set at 1 or 2 generally and have no problems keeping the car on the road and can feel when it's on the edge of getting away from me. Perhaps it's just me but I don't really car what the final settings I use end up being - I set the game up so that it's fun to play. Doesn't matter if it's TC 1 and full assists or no assists at all, and as I get better I'm sure those settings will change.

I never played the beta but I honestly don't see what the issue is. I also drive with TC set at 1 or 2 generally and have no problems keeping the car on the road and can feel when it's on the edge of getting away from me. Perhaps it's just me but I don't really car what the final settings I use end up being - I set the game up so that it's fun to play. Doesn't matter if it's TC 1 and full assists or no assists at all, and as I get better I'm sure those settings will change.
maybe you're not driving fast enought.. try getting out of a corner as quickly as possible with M4 and you'll see

Sounds like the early Beta builds. It was fixed in 1.5 and cars felt much better to drive with a controller because of it.

If people could keep this thread updated for the first few days after launch that’d be great. Curious to see if this is just a demo issue.

Definitely need to keep this post at top, this problem is preventing me from pre-order this game, because i mainly buying GT for drift and this is a huge problem there.

Let's hope so!

What did you do polyphony digital?

I have now played the demo with my t300 and I am liking the game very much, but I am not very happy with the ds4 controller. I played the closed beta and I thought the ds4 controller was perfect, now its impossible to countersteer. I have played gt 5 and 6 and I think the handling feel was great in both of them, the best for mme was gt 5, and the closed sport beta.

Also drifting with FR cars with a wheel is very hard, easy with the group b cars :D

Pls fix this kaz

Its a tiny fix but PD need to be aware of it.

TC will limit your wheel spin and so you won't get that slip and near impossible counter steering needed to correct it. Try no TC.

This issue is a fairly big deal for me in that I only use the DS4. I didn't experience it with the closed beta but it's extremely frustrating and most definitely a deal breaker for me. Worse yet, PD has shown no inclination of recognizing the problem. I'll be keeping my eye on future posts in hopes that this problem has been rectified before I buy this game which I was positively impressed with in most other aspects.

I wonder how they could mess this up so much? The beta steering with the DS4 was simply perfect. You always were in 100% controll of the car. While now it's no kind of fun anymore...

Not a viable option for drifting. Not that great for racing either.

Having tried the motion controls for several hours so far, I don’t think these claims are supportable. In fact, I think motion controls are the best way to steer with a DS4. More precision, more control, more fluidity.

If you look at the red dot and just how it feels the steering gets stuck at maximum range/angle for a second before it responds back the other way.

The front wheels feel stuck at Max angle, making correcting after full counter steer is applied way more difficult than it needs to be.

Edit: it still happens with motion steering.

Back