DS4 snap countersteer lock (read OP)

Hoping that PD fixes this issue soon. I'm planning to get a wheel later on in the year but right now I'm stuck with the DS4. Even the MX-5's steering feels sluggish!

It's just the fact that if I turn my controller to counter-steer, I expect the game to respond. Right now it isn't responding, and takes a good second to respond. By this time you are already spinning out :).

But at the moment it is much like driving a real car - if you are reacting to something like oversteer then you are already too late to do anything about it. Predict the oversteer, balance the throttle and be gentle with the steering and you'll be fine.

But at the moment it is much like driving a real car - if you are reacting to something like oversteer then you are already too late to do anything about it. Predict the oversteer, balance the throttle and be gentle with the steering and you'll be fine.
I'll be honest with you, it's really not. Even if you anticipate the oversteer, the game will not let you steer into it. At least with a wheel / in real life, I am able to turn the wheel or at least attempt to turn the wheel when I want to. It's clearly an issue that hopefully they will resolve :)

In a real car you would be able to feel the onset of oversteer through your butt basically. Since this sensation is unavailable on a DS4, a quicker response from the controller helps to counteract that lack of seat of your pants feeling. A series of options for world and driver movement would also help but they are not in the game as of yet. Telling people to simply adapt really doesn't solve the problem along with the fact that's oversteer cannot always be predicted through visual cues.

Strange direction discussion goes. I think all accept that, one can use AT, TCS, ASB, aids and so and so - if you want. Most important is one can disable them to have more fun. PD should let people have fun like before also before buying Wheel. Besides what driver I consider myself (Virtually and Really) - i turn most of the video games to do stuff Like a Boss which in real life would cost hell of money, more skills and many more Lifes.

But it’s not at all like driving a real car when using a DS4. Even by predicting the oversteer, you can just barely correct it. It’s much easier on the GR.B cars for obvious reasons, but in a RWD platform it’s simply impossible. In a real car it doesn’t take a literal second to correct a slide. Play on a DS4 and you’ll realize what we’re talking about. When it comes to racing, yes the controls feel incredible, but sliding/drifting is a completely different story.

No, no it is not. I have a real car that makes more power than an M4 and is less balanced. I can counter steer and it reacts, it doesn't just continue to rotate like I am doing nothing.

My sensivity controls are default and no traction control+all assists turned off. I managed to race against top 4 drivers in some races So i guess the handling is ok. To me it feels like the cars have actual weight to them which is something I like.

The driving is almost perfect. It's just the skidding that feels terrible. Get into cockpit view and quickly turn the stick from one extreme to the other. The wheel absolutely doesn't follow the inputs.

I think I see what the issue is, bug in the steering buffer for the DS4 goes AWOL when you slide or drift and steering input is read is past a certain point, the steering is reading almost like 1:1 with the DS4 which is why at some point early in a drift or slide you seemingly lose all control of it not due to your ability. The trigger for it seems to be breaking traction of the rears, haven't tried it with a AWD car yet.

I had a perfectly simple drift going and somewhere along the line the controls went AWOL, I watched it frame by frame and you can see the wheels using minimal angle and then suddenly huge angle which destroyed my drift and sent me careening into the wall. This is you can get this by doing no traction control standing launch and once the wheels get some traction the steering bug will pop up if you break traction again and add in steering inputs that reaches a certain threshold (normally the buffer would keep the inputs smooth) you end up like with your car doing a great impression of a squirrel.

DS4 buffer bug, needs to slide or drift and while drifting steering input suddenly go 1:1 resulting in far too much steering input being relayed to the game. Happens during any rear traction slip and fairly early in drifts and slides, results in near unrecoverable spins almost 100% of the time. Induced at low speeds as well with standing launches only when traction is exceeded in rear tires. No idea about AWD and 4WD but that would mean the driving school gymkhana would be impossible to complete. This is only what I noticed after spending a few hours trying to understand why it's impossible to hold a slip angle longer than a few seconds if at all.

I shared my replay in GT Sport, should be found under my sn or search keyword DS4 Bug. The important and easily seen bug happening is near the end of sector 2, just pause and watch it frame by frame you can see when the buffer quits and the wheel goes 1:1 input read and then I go right off into the wall.

Last edited:
No it's not. In a real car I turn my wheel and the car immediately reacts to my input. It doesn't have a think about it for a bit and then decide to do what I ask.

I might be the only one that finds the DS4 pretty good (It could be after AC &Pcars I am used to slower inputs) but anyway I tried adjusting up and down the steering sensitivity and I actually found the opposite helps to make it feel better by reducing the sensitivity and increasing the FFB helps me and these settings are what I use now.

Gran Turismo™SPORT β Version_20171009211441.jpg

I also found the M4 and the Rally course cars a little different to start with but again a few laps in it was fine.

On the gravel it is very loose so brake hard in a straight line (slow in) and then let the back drift out not touching the pad only the triggers. 👍

I might be the only one that finds the DS4 pretty good (It could be after AC &Pcars I am used to slower inputs) but anyway I tried adjusting up and down the steering sensitivity and I actually found the opposite helps to make it feel better by reducing the sensitivity and increasing the FFB helps me and these settings are what I use now.

View attachment 678992

I also found the M4 and the Rally course cars a little different to start with but again a few laps in it was fine.

On the gravel it is very loose so brake hard in a straight line (slow in) and then let the back drift out not touching the pad only the triggers. 👍

No the pad response is fine, it's what happens when you break traction with any car when using a DS4. Try to drift and you'll see what I mean. The buffer that maps control inputs from the DS4 to the game seems to fail when you drift or slide anything that breaks traction in any cars. Steering inputs are read seemingly like 1:1 so a little movement on the DS4 translates into catastrophic failure. If you can find my replay you can see it for yourself in action as it happens at the end of sector 2 at Dragon Trail I.

Last edited:
I agree, its way too slow for my liking, makes all the cars feel really heavy. Cranked the sensitivity all the way up, made it feel slightly better but still not good enough for DS4 usage. Makes drifting nearly impossible in most cases. Trying to ****ersteer usually leads into crashing head on into a barrier.

How can I file bug report to PD? I was just trying to drift the M4 and the car snapped WHILE I WAS TURNING INTO THE SLIDE. Like, what the hell is going on?

Last edited:
Hi, had to make a new login im so old school. Just to say I have been experiencing this too but i thought the car swapping ends at the drop of a hat was down to a different problem i have. Im not sure if anyone has talked about this but im one of those crazy old people who still use x and square as accelerate and brake, which worked fine for me in every GT up to now. I used to be able to modulate the throttle just with the touch sensitivity, but now it seems the buttons are just on/off which is a bit of a problem for me. I dont know why PD would take this feature out after so long, which makes me think maybe its the DS4 itself.

Hi, had to make a new login im so old school. Just to say I have been experiencing this too but i thought the car swapping ends at the drop of a hat was down to a different problem i have. Im not sure if anyone has talked about this but im one of those crazy old people who still use x and square as accelerate and brake, which worked fine for me in every GT up to now. I used to be able to modulate the throttle just with the touch sensitivity, but now it seems the buttons are just on/off which is a bit of a problem for me. I dont know why PD would take this feature out after so long, which makes me think maybe its the DS4 itself.

Its the DS4 itself, it doesnt respond to pressure anymore. Its either you press it or you dont.

I thought it was just me.

My CSL set won´t arrive anytime soon, so i´m stuck with the DS4 in the meantime.

I hadn´t played with a pad since GT4, so i thought i just couldn´t do it anymore, but i guess many others are having issues, specially countersteering.

I´m just going very slow and tip toeing around the track since i can´t really countersteer.

Oh thank god, I thought I was the only one experiencing this. Was getting a little irritated while doing a drifting trial.

I gave it another go as we speak with the sensitivity cranked up and it's still absolute trash. It takes more or less a good second from full lock to center when standing still. It's obvious how this becomes a problem once you're trying to countersteer.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

That lock issue is the only problem though and it can be easily fixed. Apart from that driving with a controller feels so good. GT has always felt good with a controller though.

That lock issue is the only problem though and it can be easily fixed. Apart from that driving with a controller feels so good. GT has always felt good with a controller though.
I will wait for an official statement from Poly about the controller steering and so far nothing. Maybe it's a game design choice? I mean the difference between GTSport and GT6 is so obvious and Poly knows it.

MXH
I gave it another go as we speak with the sensitivity cranked up and it's still absolute trash. It takes more or less a good second from full lock to center when standing still. It's obvious how this becomes a problem once you're trying to countersteer.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Yep, anyone can test this. Stop your car, hold the brakes, hold the thumbstick all the way in one direction, let go of the thumbstick, watch the in game wheel. That can't possibly be right.

Can anyone upload a video demonstrating this controller problem? I've read the several explanations but I'm not too sure I fully understand what the problem is. I don't have the demo so I wouldn't be able to see what the problem is for myself.

Can anyone upload a video demonstrating this controller problem? I've read the several explanations but I'm not too sure I fully understand what the problem is. I don't have the demo so I wouldn't be able to see what the problem is for myself.

When you go full lock and then let go the input sticks for about a second. This means that when you countersteer, istead of doing so for a split-second, you do it for a full second and the car snaps violently the other way.

Feels really good with motion control steering in my opinion. But it takes a while to get used to that (I had a lot of practice in DriveClub).

I know its taboo to use any aids, but i had a light bulb kinda moment using the weak setting on counter steer assist, was able to put all cars to 0 TC and run the best times i had all night, with enough life in the car to still make it fun. Please if your having DS4 struggles, give it a try

SavageEvil you seem to be most correct about some signals messing up. I played (DS4) with Rally RCZ and it works smooth and fine with AWD, you can roll the wheel like a baby toy, back and forth. Such a releif to feel wheel respond LOL

Latest Posts

Back