Eurovision song contest 2007

  • Thread starter Thread starter Slick Rick
  • 16 comments
  • 998 views
Messages
3,534
United Kingdom
London
Im surprised know one has started a thread on it yet but its on now!! Terry Wogan is fookin hilarious. There were some weirdo's dressed as monsters 5 mins ago, cant remember which country.

Go England!:rolleyes:
 
Wow, is the Eurovision Song Contest really this unpopular? I guess the vast majority of people on this site haven't even heard of it, let alone give a rat's posterior about it... however, for those who did watch this annual televisual feast of farce, here's what I thought about it :D

As per usual, Terry Wogan stole the show. Saying that, he doesn't really have much in the way of competition. My mate predicted Ukraine, Turkey and Germany to top the scoring, but failed miserably to predict Serbia. His opinion on Serbia was summarised in just one word. "No." I predicted the bottom three to be Ireland (correct 👍 ), Latvia and Belarus. At one point, Latvia, Ireland and UK all had 0 points, and it looked like my prediction was going to be 2/3 correct, but Latvia benefited from a late surge to finish with a semi-respectable score. The UK, however, only got two lots of votes in the entire evening, from Ireland and Malta. Bloc voting totally dominated this year, but what else did we expect...?

Now on to the individual entries. All I can say is, this contest never fails to amaze me. It started off quite well, but the standards went downhill faster than Eddie Edwards with vaseline on his skies. I need to single out those entries which deserve special mention, and what (in my view anyway) would be the appropriate course of action to take. (I've also added a 'most appropriate smilie' for each...)

  • Sweden :banghead: - This guy thought he was David Bowie and T. Rex, mixed with a hint of Placebo and Kylie Minogue. To say this lot sucked would be like calling the Grand Canyon a hole. They even plagerised Bowie lyrics: "..a mortal with potential of a Superman" is a line from 'Quicksand' from the album 'Hunky Dory'. Simply put, this lot should be stripped of their musical instruments and never allowed to perform in public again. And the Scandanavian countries who voted for them should be banned for 6 years each.

  • Latvia :lol: - Top hats and roses were the order of the day here, which was a cunning ruse to draw your eye from their faces. Ranging from around 35-65, this lot of dodgy old geezers were almost (but not quite) so bad you felt sorry for them. Again, they were able to rely on their neighbours to give them a few sympathy votes.

  • United Kingdom :dunce: - Guys, what is it about the fact that nobody likes us that you don't understand? Calling the song 'Flying The Flag' and surrounding yourself with a backdrop of a massive Union Jack is about the most stupid thing you could possibly do (short of performing the same routine at a Sinn Féin fundraiser). And if you're going to do camp, atleast make sure you are not utterly out-camped by the entry immediately before you (the Ukranian drag-queen, who finished 2nd... ) Utter rubbish that deserved to be 2nd last. Whoever voted for this in the UK should never be allowed to use a phone, digital TV or the internet again. Shame on you all!!

  • France 🤬 - Non. Just because you can't be relegated either, doesn't give you the excuse to produce this level of utter garbage. Absolutement maird. This lot should be starpped to chairs and their eyes forced open with mechanical objects (much like in the film 'A Clockwork Orange') and forced to watch their own performance until they were physically sick.

  • Belarus :confused: - This year's inexplicable success-story. How they finished so high is an absolute miracle that even the staunchest atheist would find difficult to dismiss. If ever there was a good reason to sing in your own language, it was demonstrated by this guy. Fair enough, rhyming 'skin' with 'win' should work in theory, but both shouldn't also be able to rhyme with the word 'Queen'... Given that Belarus are likely to win this contest soon, merely as a result of bloc voting, they don't need to bother improving their act, therefore the appropriate action would be to send Doctor Who to Belarus and transport the country's entire music industry into the 21st Century.

  • Ireland :yuck: - Quite possibly the most atrocious song and most abject performance of any country, in any Eurovision, ever, even in an infinite multiverse scenario. All I can assume is that this lot were actually Romania's top Irish folk group impersonators, or that Ireland were trying a cunning plan to fool people into thinking they were also a part of the Eastern European voting bloc. Ironically, with a performance as utterly dreadful as this, it is my guess that this whole band will be extradited to a country far, far away, never again allowed to set foot in Ireland (if, indeed, they have ever been there in the first place!).... Normally I would hold back on the criticism, since one leaves oneself open to the counter-attack of "Well I bet you couldn't do any better...". In all honesty, even my grandma armed only with a banjo and crippling arthritis could have done better than the Irish this year. I'm not kidding! Two questions immediately arise... 1) How on Earth did they ever win their local contest for the right to represent Ireland? I can only assume that they were selected entirely randomly in a tombola, in a small pub in Limerick. 2) WHY did they choose to front the band with a woman who COULDN'T SING HER WAY OUT OF A WET PAPER BAG!? Ireland has a proud tradition of folk singers - unfortunately, somebody clearly forgot to mention that to this rabble. I would not be surprised if this lot ended up in The Hague, explaining their song to a jury from behind a sheet of two-inch thick perspex. I normally wouldn't condone capital punishment, but honestly, you'd be doing the world a favour in this case.

All in all, a very entertaining night, marred only by the complete lack of consideration for any of the music when deciding the votes... (oh, and those hot Russian girls got my vote ;) ) Can't wait for next year... :sick: :dopey:

Props to Slick Rick for putting this thread in the correct forum (i.e. not the Music forum...) ;)👍
 
A particularly interesting and somewhat comical post +rep, summed the whole thing up well, at the end of the day the country with the most boarding countries, bags the victory.

As for the hot Russian girls, I liked the one in the centre 👍 👍 👍
 
Best bit of the evening...

Cyprus: And the twelve points from Cyprus goes to...
Entire Finnish Auditorium: Greece!
Cyprus: ... GREECE!
 
:lol: I didn't notice that, I think I still had my hands over my ears at that point.

I did a little research on 'Dervish', the Irish band... to my amazement, they are actually a real band, and to my even greater amazement, they are actually from Ireland too. I couldn't help noticing that they have a song from their 1996 album, 'End Of The Day' called 'Touching Cloth'... why oh why didn't they use that? That would have got my vote, just for pure comedy value, if nothing else. For those of you brave enough, I even found a link to a performance of their Eurovisual monstrosity (from their own website) - NSFL (Not safe for listening)

A particularly interesting and somewhat comical post +rep, summed the whole thing up well
Cheers :cheers: The Eurovision Song Contest continues to offer hope to those of us who play and/or write music - albeit in a back-handed way.

There were a few better musical moments, however... the Bulgarian duo, with their mental drumming and the somewhat attractive girl with the large mouth were probably the pick of the bunch. The Hungarian woman, who sounded a bit like Bjork was pretty good as well...
 
Malta are our new best friends for giving us 12 points. :lol: We didn't give Ireland any, yet they gave us quite a few! :lol:

I didn't watch any of the performances, sadly. I like the results best anyway, only due to them being pretty biased. If you're a neighbor to a country, you tend to vote for them - no skill required...
 
WORST.....FRUIT.....SHOW.....EV4H.....

That sucked even worse than it did yesteryear...
 
Go England!:rolleyes:
Normally at this point I'd say, "England? The Eurovision entry is from the UK", but in this case, you're welcome to them.

Nothing to do with us Scots, mate.
 
Flerbizky
WORST.....FRUIT.....SHOW.....EV4H.....

That sucked even worse than it did yesteryear...
I don't know... where else can you get such a heady cocktail of music, entertainment (comedy, farce AND tragedy), politics AND a geography lesson thrown in for good measure?

As for that pink woman - the fake 'Eurovision Fan', I can't say what I thought about her for fear of the swear filter exploding into a million pieces all over the internet.

The recriminations here in the UK have started, and are more fierce than ever... The BBC reports that there are now calls across Western Europe (particularly in the UK and Germany - two countries who provide most of the financial backing to the contest) to have the whole voting system scrapped. The Scotsman also described it as 'the musical equivalent of the Warsaw Pact"... they also described it thus:

Political cronyism, grubby alliances huckstered for short-term gain and a debatable result. This was not the Scottish elections, however, but that annual three-hour assault on good taste - the Eurovision Song Contest.
:lol:

In all seriousness, however, we (the UK) sucked very badly - Ireland sucked harder than a brand-new Dyson, but really, they weren't that much worse than the majority of the others - yet the voting system meant that 14 out of the top 16 countries were Eastern European, and at this rate, the UK, France, Germany and a host of other Euro nations do not have a snowball's chance in hell of winning the contest again. I blame the Scandanavians, they started this whole bloc voting palaver... (actually, I believe the UK and France might have started it, but the Scandanavians mastered the art...)
 
Meh, neither Belgium or Norway advanced to the finals...They didn't had great songs either...Well, none of the songs were actually "good". The quality of the Eurovision Song Contest has been dropping throughout the past years, I don't even care watching it. I just watched the voting in the half-finals. I didn't watched the big Contest itself, I didn't care really. And what's all this rock stuff? Ever since Lordi won, a lot of crappy bands come and do something they believe is singing and slamming on a guitar. (Czech Rep. WTF?!).


Bah 👎
 
I kinda voted for Romania, mainly because I could atleast bob my head to their song.

Sweden was pretty good too, regardless of what TM says..
:p
 
Controversial! It was actually my mate who was more perturbed by the Swedish guys, insinuating that some form of assassination would have been in order. I just thought they were trying and failing miserably to pull off a glam-rock pastiche - even the fad for glam-rock pastiche acts passed about 5 years ago, let alone glam rock itself. I should have added that as punishment, the leader singer should have to spend the weekend with Gary Glitter - that would shut him up!
 
Bee
I kinda voted for Romania, mainly because I could atleast bob my head to their song.

Sweden was pretty good too, regardless of what TM says..
:p

Was the Romanian song all in different languages? it seemed like it.
 
Soooooooo random... :crazy: :lol:

haha, well thats Eurovision for you, every last performance has some bizzare quick, except Lativa's that was just dull.
 
In terms of the UK entry, former Radio 1 DJ Mike Read summed it up perfectly...

If that is the best that this country, full of great songwriters, can come up with then heaven help us
 
Well I am just curious who decided that it should represent our nation. If any of you out there did decide to vote for that one, then you need to slap yourself hard and hang your head in shame.....:ouch:






......No, really you do!:grumpy:

On another note, what was with the blond girl in the pink dress who walked round interviewing the countries representatives? it was totally bizzare.

Saying that I always enjoy watching the Eurovision, despite the poor humor, the block voting and the mostly questionable music which I am subjected to, something about it makes me want to watch it every year.
 
Back