Pete05

Premium
Australia
Melbourne, Australia
FITT WSR F3 Challenge

image.jpg

image.jpg

The Challenge
A one car one track challenge using the WSR Formula Three RT3/83 Ralt-Toyota driven by Ayrton Senna to the 1983 British Formula Three Championship.
1980's Brands Hatch Grand Prix circuit.
Arcade Mode Time Trial with grip set to real.
Oil change is compulsory
172bhp @ 6000rpm
23.0kgfm @ 5000rpm
559PP
Improved Body Rigidity is banned Racing Hard tyres only
Suspension, Brakes, Transmission, Drivetrain & Aerodynamics are all free.

Rules & Regulations
All participants should be familiar with the FITT standardized rules & regulations available using the link below
https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/thre...international-tuners-and-test-drivers.291311/

Scoring
Points will be awarded for both the fastest laps set and for Driver's Choice.
1st: 15, 2nd: 12, 3rd: 10, 4th: 8 5th: 6, 6th:5, 7th: 4, 8th: 3,
9th: 2, 10th: 1.

Timeline
Tuning can commence straight away and will be open until 6pm 14th September AEST
(UTC/GMT +10 hours)
Testing can will be open as soon as Tuning closes and open until 6pm 30th September AEST.

Posting tunes
When posting tunes, I ask that they be in the following order so as to make it easier for all of us.
  • Suspension
  • Brakes
  • Gear ratios
  • Final drive ratio
  • Diff settings
  • Front wing
  • Rear wing
Good luck to all, I think this one will be very close.

About the car
Introduced during the 1979 season, the RT3 was Ralt's first ground-effect Formula 3 racer. Designed by Australian Ron Tauranac, it replaced the highly successful RT1 but was relatively late to arrive as rivals Chevron, March and Martini had their ground-effect racers ready before the start of the year. So very few teams switched to the RT3 and only four examples were built in 1979. However, it would not take long before the ground-effect Ralt carried on where the RT1 had left off.
To cope with the substantially increased loads created by the ground-effect aerodynamics, Tauranac ensured the RT3 aluminium monocoque chassis was up to the task by reinforcing the bulkheads with aluminium honeycomb. The chassis itself was very narrow and the suspension was mounted inboard, creating room for very wide side pods, which, thanks to their wing-shaped floors, generated the ground-effect aerodynamics. Mainly for balance reasons, the very elegant RT3 also featured a front and rear wing.
Equipped with a Hewland gearbox, the RT3 could accommodate a choice of engines. Alfa Romeo, Toyota (as in this example), and Volkswagen four cylinder engines proved particular popular. Although very strong, the RT3 was also relatively heavy in it's original guise, which also accounted for the lack of success in 1979. Tauranac addressed these issues and due to continuous development the RT3 remained very competitive well into the mid 80's. Among the many successes were the British F3 Championship win for Ayrton Senna with this car and Pierluigi Martini's 1983 European Championship title with an Alfa Romeo powered example.
A change in regulations, effectively banning ground-effect aerodynamics, rendered the RT3 obsolete at the start of the 1985 season. It was replaced by the RT30, which was to some extent a flat-bottom evolution of the RT3. Between 1979 and 1984, Ralt built a total of 168 examples of what was one of the day's most successful Formula 3 racers.
More information about the development process carried out by Tauranac can be followed in the article linked below.
http://www.f3history.co.uk/Manufacturers/Ralt/ralt.htm

1983 British F3 Championship
A comprehensive article is available in the link below for those interested in how this car, driven by a rising star named Ayrton Senna da Silva, performed during the season.
http://www.oldracingcars.com/f3/uk/1983/

Last edited:
REVIEW TEMPLATE

@Bowtie-muscle
Lap time; DC;
Impression of the tune;

@DolHaus
Lap time; DC;
Impression of the tune;

@fordracer
Lap time; DC;
Impression of the tune;

@Motor City Hami
Lap time; DC;
Impression of the tune;

@MrGrado
Lap time; DC;
Impression of the tune;

@Otaliema
Lap time; DC;
Impression of the tune;

@Pete05
Lap time; DC;
Impression of the tune;

@Ridox2JZGTE
Lap time; DC;
Impression of the tune;

@shaunm80
Lap time; DC;
Impression of the tune;

@sinof1337
Lap time; DC;
Impression of the tune;

@xande1959
Lap time; DC;
Impression of the tune;

Last edited:
FINAL RESULTS & SUMMARY

WSR F3 at BrandsHatch 80's GP Google sheet

FASTEST LAP POINTSCORE

1. @Motor City Hami 112
2. @DolHaus 89
=3. @Otaliema 78
=3. @Pete05 78
5. @Bowtie-muscle 67
6. @shaunm80 54
7. @MrGrado 49
8. @fordracer 19
9. @Ridox2JZGTE 18
10. @xande1959 16
11. @sinof1337 14

DRIVER'S CHOICE POINTS

1. Motor City Hami 107
2. Bowtie-muscle 90
3. Otaliema 82
4. DolHaus 75
5. Shaunm80 65
6. MrGrado 62
7. Pete05 55
8. Ridox2JZGTE 36
9. Fordracer 31
10. Sinof1337 24
11. Xande1959 22

Brands Hatch 80's GP Lap time

1. Motor City Hami 1:24:192
2. DolHaus 1:24:613 +0.421
3. Otaliema 1:24:666 +0.474
4. Pete05 1:24:713 +0.521
5. Bowtie-muscle 1:24:793 +0.601

Brands Hatch 80's GP DC

1. Motor City Hami 9.44
2. Bowtie-muscle 9.38
3. DolHaus 9.19
4. shaunm80 9.10
5. Otaliema 9.08

Fastest testing lap:
1:22:882 Motor City Hami by Pete05

Most consistent tuner:
1.217 OdeFinn

Fastest average tuner:
1:24:107 Pete05

SUMMARY

This was my debut hosting a FITT competition and, most definitely, an eye-opener to say the least.
Anyone that has previously hosted one of these competitions has my respect. As an outside observer, they look easier than when you're at the controls.
Before I go any further, I want to extend my deepest thanks & appreciation to @Otaliema for his invaluable help with the scoring on Googlesheet. I don't have a PC so I have to do everything online from an iPhone. I can confidently say, this comp wouldn't have run anywhere near as smoothly as it has without his help & guidance. I also have to thank @Bowtie-muscle & @DolHaus for sharing their wisdom & experience with previous FITT competitions.
A big hearty thanks to all the Tuners & Testers that took part. A Tuner's work can't be recognized without a Tester doing laps & a Tester has nothing to test without the skills of our Tuners :bowdown:

Thanks again,
Pete05 :cheers:

Last edited:
I drove the car last night and it is a really fun car. Problem is that my initial tune was really good so it is all trial and error from here.
Isn't that the eternal racer's & tuner's problem of trying things to make the car go faster than it already is and somehow going in the wrong direction :banghead:
I read a quote years ago that went something like, "It's better to know why you came second than it is to win & not know why."
I think there's enough variables in this little gem of a car to make what's about to unfold a thoroughly interesting contest.

Count me in as a Tuna, hopefully as a blue fin and not a skip jack :lol:
And I would love to drive these cars, gotta love some open wheelers

I am thinking about testing, but not sure that I can commit to it. Lot's going on right now. I may go to Dubai for a couple of weeks in September. If that trip happens, I will not be able to test.

List me as tentative for testing right now. Curious to see how everyone approaches tuning for a competition that is likely to be really close.

I am thinking about testing, but not sure that I can commit to it. Lot's going on right now. I may go to Dubai for a couple of weeks in September. If that trip happens, I will not be able to test.

List me as tentative for testing right now. Curious to see how everyone approaches tuning for a competition that is likely to be really close.
Thanks for that Hami. I'll list you as a maybe tester & I understand if Dubai takes priority.
Sometimes 24 hours just ain't enough.

Man forgot how much grip this car has.....:lol:
so anyone that done a lil tuning gonna share some times?
1:28.xxx with mistakes and the wrong tires...
edit updated 1:26.xxx 👍

Last edited:
I will try throwing the car around the track Friday, too busy of a week otherwise. Also, going with 1980 Brands Hatch GP seems like a good choice. :)

Latest Posts

Back