F1 2011

• Thread starter Akmuq
  • 875 comments
They shot themselves in the foot when they said they would use the EGO engine yet again, rarely is it good to hear a game engine is being recycled, it definitely isn't when it came from a terrible game to begin with (DIRT).

First of all, do you have any idea how long it takes to build a new graphics engine? Most developers will only build a new engine once every few years; in the meantime, they will use upgraded versions of it.

Secondly, have you seen DIRT 3? It was built with the EGO v2.0 engine, and it looks fantastic.

They shot themselves in the foot when they said they would use the EGO engine yet again, rarely is it good to hear a game engine is being recycled, it definitely isn't when it came from a terrible game to begin with (DIRT).

DiRT is not a terrible game. Man I've even decided to get DiRT 3 for my B'Day because it looks ace!!

DiRT is not a terrible game. Man I've even decided to get DiRT 3 for my B'Day because it looks ace!!

Dirt 3 is very nice. I really do wish Rally stages were more narrow but w.e its still better than 2 lol I think BlackBean's 2011 WRC release will be quite nice tbh. 90 stages? were getting back up to the originals lol

Anyone else notice how they've got the proper steering wheels this year? I'm chuffed about that - FOM must be loosening their grip slightly on what can and can't be included in the game 👍

I don't think they'll be releasing a special steering wheel with the game. The one Davidson uses is probably tailor-made for testing.

They look the same as the ones in F1 2010. Sure, there's extra buttons and knobs moved around, but the wheels are no doubt modelled on their reali life counterparts in both games.

They look the same as the ones in F1 2010. Sure, there's extra buttons and knobs moved around, but the wheels are no doubt modelled on their reali life counterparts in both games.

The 2010 wheels were all based around a generic wheel type, Steve Hood admitted as much on the forums saying that FOM didn't allow them to copy the wheels of the RL counterparts. But just look at Schumacher's wheel in that video, it's the same wheel as IRLs, as is Trulli's.

I'm not a hater, I'm just being factual about F1 2010.

I still play F1 2010 on a regular basis, playing without any assists or aids so just stop replying to my posts as if I were a GT5 fanboy. I am disappointed with GT5 as well and think it's an even worse game than F1 2010 is.

So what's left to make it a brilliant game then?

I can only enjoy this game the way I do now because of all the various mods I use. The state the game was released on was just unacceptable and I will keep myself to F1 2010 and its mods if F1 2011 will not be better.

Well, I didn't call you a GT5 fanboy. But you shouldn't be so pessimistic and flamable. You talk as if Codemasters is an evil organization that sucks money out of their huge, senseless fanbase, by releasing sub-par videogames and "making up for it" with overpriced DLC, until the next year's game that will turn out to be again, sub-par. Codemasters is not Activision.

HD Version

I like what they have shown so far. The physics look greatly improved as well as the graphics due to the filter. Good to see the actual steering wheels in the game too. I could not really get into really liking F1 2010 due to the way the car handled but now things look much more controllable and more realistic car movement when driving on the edge.

The graphics with the actual steering wheel design of the real F1 cars will give that extra realism feel when driving as well and I definately will pick this one up. I wonder if they will get rid of that Nifty 50 trophy. That could put people off online as only a few would attempt it and drive races just for the sake of it, not for the fun. It is a bit like Fifa games online trophies and also an offline comparison is Level 40 on GT5.

Finally any news on the replay system. Will be good to save replays to watch back. Does Dirt 3 allow you to save replays?

Looking good, should be able to mod the graphics better instead of trying to clean out the strong toilet bowl filter in F1 2010 which can skew the smoke effects and such.

Physics and steering seem a little more real from quickly looking at the video. Hope they get the gear changes right this time.

The 2010 wheels were all based around a generic wheel type, Steve Hood admitted as much on the forums saying that FOM didn't allow them to copy the wheels of the RL counterparts. But just look at Schumacher's wheel in that video, it's the same wheel as IRLs, as is Trulli's.

No he said he wanted interactive drivers changing settings on the wheel etc and they didnt have enough time last year to code that for each steering wheel.

No he said he wanted interactive drivers changing settings on the wheel etc and they didnt have enough time last year to code that for each steering wheel.

Really? But it's almost inconsequential where the driver pushes whatever button on the steering wheel, it's only a split second animation - seems like a pretty lame excuse for not including the real wheels. But besides, I do seem to remember him saying that FOM weren't comfortable with them copying all the steering wheels. It wasn't a completely independent design decision.

ANYWAY, it's great that they're in the new game 👍

it's almost inconsequential where the driver pushes whatever button on the steering wheel, it's only a split second animation
Yeah, but just think how often those adjustments have to be made; that's how often the animation would have to be shown. And, of course, the animations would have to be coded into the game. That's not small thing.

Why on Earth wouldn't FOM allow Codies to copy the real life wheels? I mean, F1:CE had the wheels and cockpits for all cars, spot on, like the McLaren's mounted dash. Why not now? It'll all help to produce a better quality game.

Why on Earth wouldn't FOM allow Codies to copy the real life wheels? I mean, F1:CE had the wheels and cockpits for all cars, spot on, like the McLaren's mounted dash. Why not now? It'll all help to produce a better quality game.

I have no idea. I'm sure FOM would have no problems as long as they replicate them authentically.

On the F1 website you can pre-order the game and it's £54.99 or something silly like that. Is that the price it'll be everywhere you think?

On the F1 website you can pre-order the game and it's £54.99 or something silly like that. Is that the price it'll be everywhere you think?

Nope, it's just FOM trying to cash in. I think it's even the same price for a pc copy, which is an absolute joke.

F1 games have always been expensive, for one, you're paying for the pinnacle of motorsport in video game form, and for two, since Codies has had the license, and the game has been available on all consoles, they sell like hotcakes. F1 2010 was the top seller in the UK when it released.

It's just business.

Peter.
F1 games have always been expensive, for one, you're paying for the pinnacle of motorsport in video game form, and for two, since Codies has had the license, and the game has been available on all consoles, they sell like hotcakes. F1 2010 was the top seller in the UK when it released.

It's just business.

While you make a valid point, it is much cheaper elsewhere.

Where the hell can I get an F1 wheel mod like they are using in that video posted above?

It's sweet!!!

I read it cost over $10,000. They took the electronics out of a G27 and wired them into one of the official wheel replica's (which in themselves, are about $2500 US. The buttons and paddles have been wired up. It's basically unaffordable for most people.

I read it cost over $10,000. They took the electronics out of a G27 and wired them into one of the official wheel replica's (which in themselves, are about $2500 US. The buttons and paddles have been wired up. It's basically unaffordable for most people.

Youve read wrong its about 630 Euros - around $800-$900

Source http://www.zroso.com/index/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=48&Itemid=56#prices

...and a G25-G27

PS: the wheel on that video was one of the first this guy made.

Yes it was one of the first before he came up with a brand name for them... I didnt even know he had a site I was just googling the video where he shows David Coulthard using his wheel and found it... they are hand built so basicly they can all look a bit different

I may invest in something like that someday. It looks amazing. If Codemasters or another company deliver a truly perfect F1 sim, then I'd be seriously tempted to spring for it. Geoff Crammond stated two years ago that Grand Prix 5 "feels like unfinished business". Maybe that could tempt me into buying it.

Latest Posts

Back