F1 2011

• Thread starter Akmuq
  • 875 comments
First of all, do you have any idea how long it takes to build a new graphics engine? Most developers will only build a new engine once every few years; in the meantime, they will use upgraded versions of it.

Secondly, have you seen DIRT 3? It was built with the EGO v2.0 engine, and it looks fantastic.

Dirt3 looks bland compared to other modern race games. Drab.

Also isnt that engine and its limitations the reason Dirt3 only has like 1-2 minute rally stages? The devs said it was the engine they we using..so..

Dirt3 looks bland compared to other modern race games. Drab.

Also isnt that engine and its limitations the reason Dirt3 only has like 1-2 minute rally stages? The devs said it was the engine they we using..so..

I doubt it. I'm almost certain that you are able to not render (or to a lesser quality) parts of the track/stages that it is physically impossible to see from wherever you might be.

A lot of people complain about how weird the cars loo kfrom the overhead camera, about how the suspension isnt modeled properly and all sorts of other complaints, and are comparing them to real life shots to come to those conclusions. But remember that the real life shots are not centered, they are to the side and are meant to give a wider view of the action. F1 2011's are centered.

Codemasters has been on a roll lately, delivering top class games in the racing genre, from rally to street racing, but more importantly, Formula 1 racing of course. At a recent press conference, chief game designer Steve Hood told Gamerzine that the idea of releasing DLC of classic F1 battles would be a “cool thing to include”.

“When you talk about historical stuff, we really want it! I want to be able to race the ’92 Monaco race with Senna versus Mansell as a particular scenario – it would be awesome! I think it’s more likely for the first instance to get individual cars and build scenarios around them, rather than building the entire field in a season.”

"I don’t think it would be a standalone game because the further away you get, the less likely you are to have a market for that. However, I do think it’s a cool thing to include and if it was built on top of the game as DLC, I honestly think Codemasters could make money out of it and gamers would appreciate it”.

"We’re pressing to do DLC. We have those discussions, we’ve been having them since ’10. If Codemasters keep those licenses rolling and the Concorde agreement gets renewed in 2013, I think we’ll definitely hit that mark."

So while its unlikely that we’ll be seeing such DLC in this years F1 game, it is a possibility that future versions will have such content. If it does come to pass, I’m looking forward to reliving an infamous Ayrton Senna moment, wherein he straight on crashed into Alain Prost at Suzuka in 1990, in order to preserve his championship lead.

Source: Gamerzine.com

Source: http://www.lazygamer.net/xbox-360/c...al-race-dlc-for-future-f1-game/#ixzz1RznvlCdA

👍

Interesting, though I think it'd be rather foolish to rid of it now, as they have hyped it up an awful lot, and it's half of what is talked about at the Codemasters forum, and a highly anticipated feature in this game. Remove it now, and quite a few people will be upset.

They never hyped it up. They only said they'd investigate the possibility of including it, because the fans requested it. The only people who hyped up its inclusion are the fans.

I'm amazed at how annoyed some people are getting about the lack of information regarding the safety car. People seem to forget that the safety car was removed from F1CE at the last minute, but the game box stated it was in. When I got F1CE, I even caused a few crashes to try and bring it out, went through all the options, then googled it to find out it wasn't in.

The general feeling over at the official forums is that it's in the game, and is now awaiting approval. Happy days.

General feeling yes, but they know no more over there than we do here. People are getting their hopes up way too much over this.

I have assumed from the start it wont be there. F1 '99 was the last to have it so why would they bother starting now?

I have to say the safety car is one aspect of motorsport I don't miss at all. I'm rather confused why everyone wishes to see it in other than for the sake of completion.
Say the AI take each other out while I have a massive lead or it comes out before my pit stop and therefore I get held up in the mess in the pitlane....its going to be pretty frustrating.

Next perhaps people will ask that the race can be red flagged for 2 hours and then restarted or for the safety car to start the race and stay out for 20 laps? These are all the worst aspects of F1 that are not really necessary for a game.

It will be even worse if the safety car works online - there is always a crash every single lap online so how much racing are really going to get? Sure, for 3 lap races it will probably be turned off automatically, but even if we do 50% races, there are still people making silly mistakes.

I have to say the safety car is one aspect of motorsport I don't miss at all. I'm rather confused why everyone wishes to see it in other than for the sake of completion.
Say the AI take each other out while I have a massive lead or it comes out before my pit stop and therefore I get held up in the mess in the pitlane....its going to be pretty frustrating.

Next perhaps people will ask that the race can be red flagged for 2 hours and then restarted or for the safety car to start the race and stay out for 20 laps? These are all the worst aspects of F1 that are not really necessary for a game.

It will be even worse if the safety car works online - there is always a crash every single lap online so how much racing are really going to get? Sure, for 3 lap races it will probably be turned off automatically, but even if we do 50% races, there are still people making silly mistakes.

I think as you've highlighted there needs to be a balance with its use. DEFINITELY not online, that is for sure!

Offline though, no I don't want 2 hour delays because its wet. The rest of its implementation though, bring it on! As you say, AI cars crashing and bringing out the safety car just at the wrong time is frustrating, but a very real part of F1 today. Your strategy has to be dynamic with track events, so at Monaco you have to be constantly thinking about pitting given that any crash will probably result in a safety car.

On the opposite end of that frustration is the satisfaction of getting strategy spot on and winning races thanks to well timed pit stops.

The game is shaping up quite nicely. Too bad the guy driving in this video isn't very good. The A.I was set on easy for this.

The cockpit view is looking really nice too.

wow that looks great - is that PS3 rendered?

the trees are SO much more detailed, along with the rest of the circuit

Cockpit view looks cherry! I love how the car rocks back and forth depending on the G's and which way you're preparing to turn

Very cool stuff, thanks for sharing

wow that looks great - is that PS3 rendered?

the trees are SO much more detailed, along with the rest of the circuit

Cockpit view looks cherry! I love how the car rocks back and forth depending on the G's and which way you're preparing to turn

Very cool stuff, thanks for sharing

No problem. Don't know what system it is on. If you can bare the cm forum, one user has been doing a good job of keeping everything up to date in one good thread. Check it out.

Yeah the graphics look great! I will be a day one racer in F1 2011, really looking forward to the release of the new game.

Another one. Good to see the different tyre compounds rather than yellow options and grey primes. However, problem, kerbs look too rideable now. We already had the problem in F1 2010 where drivers straightlined all the chichanes, even managing to straightline the last corner, which was somewhat why it's so easy to beat the AI at Montreal. Now they are all even easier to ride it seems, now they'll go even faster.

However, problem, kerbs look too rideable now. We already had the problem in F1 2010 where drivers straightlined all the chichanes, even managing to straightline the last corner, which was somewhat why it's so easy to beat the AI at Montreal. Now they are all even easier to ride it seems, now they'll go even faster.

Kerbs are now more accurately flatter as they should be in the last chicane at Montreal, mate ;)

Check the real world on board footage from the 2011 race, they are significantly flatter than before.

It looks really good! But I prefer Vettel's helmet as it was in Budapest this weekend, he has that white the most often I think, instead of the blue bubbles.

I feel silly for asking this question now, but what on earth are the flashing arrows on the side of the steering wheels in F1 2010? I've never know their purpose.

I hope that we'll be able to give other drivers a lift if they run out of fuel. 👍 :lol:
That would be a funny feature! :)

If Timo Glock runs out of fuel he can walk back. :grumpy: :lol:

On a more serious note, and this may have been touched on before, but am I the only one that's slightly angry they removed the antenna from the car? It kinda looks...naked without it.

Just to be clear, the lack of antenna doesn't make or break the game for me, I just think it's a bit dumb to leave it out when there was nothing wrong with it. "It gets in the way" isn't an excuse for a (relatively) realistic sim.

I feel silly for asking this question now, but what on earth are the flashing arrows on the side of the steering wheels in F1 2010? I've never know their purpose.

Hey Peter, I believe the arrows indicate opponent proximity. Let's you know when someone's close and which side they're on.

Flag indicators depending on the colour it shows what flags apply to you.

haitch40
Flag indicators depending on the colour it shows what flags apply to you.

You know what, not sure if it's been suggested but I hope cars lapping you show up as blue dots or something to differentiate between racing and lapped cars.

Really annoyed me if I had a line of 4 cars behind and a blue flag.

Maybe the engineer could chip in over the mic.

You know what, not sure if it's been suggested but I hope cars lapping you show up as blue dots or something to differentiate between racing and lapped cars.

Really annoyed me if I had a line of 4 cars behind and a blue flag.

Maybe the engineer could chip in over the mic.

Go faster.:lol:

Back