F1: 2014 on PS4/Xbox One/PC

• Thread starter 0zzy
  • 515 comments
I just can't understand it, Indycar are turbo aswell yet sound much better.

I think this mainly has to do with the fact that the Indycars only have those Turbos and nothing else to worry about unlike the F1 cars (ERS and all that mess). I also suspect the exhausts (as well as the Indycars having twin turbos as opposed to single turbos on the F1 cars) may also factor into that. I could be wrong though.

The F1 cars sound fine in real life, they're just not loud. It's still a good noise, but you don't need ear protection if you happen to be within a few hundred metres any more.

These F1 2014 trailers sound almost nothing like the cars I heard in Melbourne earlier this year.

Surprise surprise.. inaccurate engine sounds in a Codies game. I believe the only game on last gen where they did get the engine sounds almost 100% spot on was Dirt 3.

I thought 2012 was the best they did with the sounds of F1 as I felt they actually got the those distinct pops on those downshifts and that Judder correct (something I strangely still see not all that well done with most PC F1 mods). From the videos I've been watching, it seems like they sorta took a step back with 2013

If there is one thing Codemasters gets right everytime, its Maldonado being...Maldonaldo.

Last edited:
Why is everyone writing this of and it hasn't been played by US yet. I don't care what some review or "sneak peak" clip does and like I said before, it's probably a beta test anyway. Wait till its released and I bet it will be just fine.
Well what other choice you have? It's not like a FIFA franchise. That latest clip is brilliant, don't know what your all worried about? Sounds just like a real car, especially the downshifting, graphics are clean,sharp and smooth and the amount of steering wheel angle applied to make specific turns, looks spot on.

Last edited:
Told ya it would get better, sounds better,looks better, listen as Hulkenberg flies past the stationary camera before heading up eau rouge, wicked.

I wanna know what lawn mowers you listen to that sound like that because I sure have never heard of them :lol:

Told ya it would get better, sounds better,looks better, listen as Hulkenberg flies past the stationary camera before heading up eau rouge, wicked.

It sounds crap. Nothing like the real ones, too much turbo blow off and it sounds way too digitized, even compared to 2013.

I'm afraid I agree with Mildashers, its not quite there just yet:

In comparison to this qualifying video (which is in the wet as well), the distinct whizzing is too loud both on throttle and off when it should be only ever that loud under braking. The main sound itself onboard is off and the pops of the downshifts should be heard when it passes by, not onboard. It also lacks that classic judder you only hear in an F1 car (which you can hear in the qualifying video above) and obviously the volume of the engine note is abit exaggerated on the outside when it passes by as well, we all know the complaints about the engines being too quiet. Seems like they tried to mimic the resonance made from the V6 artificially but in doing so, they made abit too loud.

Onboard videos aren't a good comparison, unless you want the game to sound exactly like onboards. According to the developers, sound samples are taken at locations within the chassis and cockpit that represent what the drivers hear.

*Edit, found the referenced article...http://blog.codemasters.com/f1/10/paddock-pass-the-audio/

Either way, I wouldn't worry about it just yet. The videos being spoon-fed to the public right now seem almost doctored to look and sound worse than the quality of the previous games, which seems unlikely.

Sounds good to me and I can't wait, graphics look improoved. Can't see the drama.

Improved? Where?

I'm being as sincere as possible because it looks like every other F1 20xx game since 2010; the contributing factors to their immediate visual differences are usually the filters used.

IMO I think the graphics are alot crisper. I don't see the big hoo haa about it, don't like don't by it simple, but you havnt really got any other alternative have you? I can't Beleive no one else has picked up how the driver sits and turns the wheel now, it actually turns to the correct radius from what we have seen, not like 45 degrees going round the hairpin at Monaco.

I just can't understand it, Indycar are turbo aswell yet sound much better.
Because sound, like heat, is a form that energy can take. The emphasis of the 2014 generation of Formula 1 engines is on energy recovery - of taking energy that would otherwise be wasted, and using it more effectively and more efficiently. The scream of the older generation of engines was a result of this wasted energy. IndyCar does not have it, because their engines do not use ERS the way Formula 1 does.

You would think though that they would do something to the exhaust note.
They tried. It didn't work. In the test following the Spanish Grand Prix, Nico Rosberg carried an experimental "trumpet" fixture on his exhaust. It was supposed to amplify the engine noise, but Mercedes quickly discovered that any benefits were inaudible, and abandoned it.

Besides, most people stopped caring about the noise some time around the Bahrain Grand Prix, when they realised that there could still be quality racing without the old engine note.

Onboard videos aren't a good comparison, unless you want the game to sound exactly like onboards. According to the developers, sound samples are taken at locations within the chassis and cockpit that represent what the drivers hear.

*Edit, found the referenced article...http://blog.codemasters.com/f1/10/paddock-pass-the-audio/

Yet they are showing all the angles which the drivers can't hear (TV pod, sidepod, Nose wing). I naturally assumed that was what they were going for (with the exception of the first person incar view which is expected to come).

Sounds good to me and I can't wait, graphics look improoved. Can't see the drama.

Not sure what "drama" you're reffering to. We're just giving my thoughts on it, not dooming it to hell before its even out.

Because sound, like heat, is a form that energy can take. The emphasis of the 2014 generation of Formula 1 engines is on energy recovery - of taking energy that would otherwise be wasted, and using it more effectively and more efficiently. The scream of the older generation of engines was a result of this wasted energy. IndyCar does not have it, because their engines do not use ERS the way Formula 1 does.

They tried. It didn't work. In the test following the Spanish Grand Prix, Nico Rosberg carried an experimental "trumpet" fixture on his exhaust. It was supposed to amplify the engine noise, but Mercedes quickly discovered that any benefits were inaudible, and abandoned it.

Besides, most people stopped caring about the noise some time around the Bahrain Grand Prix, when they realised that there could still be quality racing without the old engine note.

They didnt try in Spain mate, that was just lame excuse so merc could grab a free test. IMO they could easily fix the note. Afterall they did make the care from scratch.

IMO they could easily fix the note.
How, then, considering that the change in engine sound is a direct result of the thermal energy recovery system capturing the energy that would normally make the noise, and utilising it in a completely different way? It's not going to be "fixed" - not that it needs to be - by sticking a hot dog exhaust on the cars.

Or did you miss that day of Year 9 Science?

How, then, considering that the change in engine sound is a direct result of the thermal energy recovery system capturing the energy that would normally make the noise, and utilising it in a completely different way? It's not going to be "fixed" - not that it needs to be - by sticking a hot dog exhaust on the cars.

Or did you miss that day of Year 9 Science?

Bs, cars sounded fine running kers last, year. I know different engines,but ers isn't made by sound, it's made by the energy from hard acceleration and breaking, cars could sound like a fart and ers would still work. Whats with the smart a55 remark anyway?

Except that the engines now have two energy recovery systems. ERS-K harvests energy that would normally be lost under braking. But the thermal system collects energy from the turbine and exhaust, and that's where the difference in sound is coming from.

I see what you mean but IMO if it had that much influence on the sound, we wouldn't be able to hear air passing through the waste gate. Especially while downshifting

I see what you mean but IMO if it had that much influence on the sound, we wouldn't be able to hear air passing through the waste gate. Especially while downshifting

The turbo and mgu-h (effectively another turbo) aren't working as much when off-throttle because the engine isn't providing as much waste gas to power them.

Also if it really was that easy to change you'd have though that the greatest engineering minds in the world would have thought of something by now. The fact of the matter is every part of the car has to be contributing to the power output and/or aerodynamics, no designer would allow a domestic exhaust to be added for better sound in exchange for power, aero and weight distribution.

Yeah but does the sound worry them as much as it does to the viewers? No, with minimal testing, they won't spend time on the sound when it's time the could be using on the car, bet the cars sounds different next year as they have had time honestly look and assess the issue.

Yeah but does the sound worry them as much as it does to the viewers?
There was some disappointment among viewers after the first few races, but most people no longer care about the sound. It's the quality of the racing that people care about. You are quite literally the *only* person I know of who still objects to the sound, so I think it's a gross misrepresentation to claim that viewers still care about the sound.

Back