F1: 2014 on PS4/Xbox One/PC

• Thread starter 0zzy
  • 515 comments
There was some disappointment among viewers after the first few races, but most people no longer care about the sound. It's the quality of the racing that people care about. You are quite literally the *only* person I know of who still objects to the sound, so I think it's a gross misrepresentation to claim that viewers still care about the sound.
You misunderstood, people "did" care about the sound to begin with yes and that was the example I was using. Me, the sound doesn't bother me either because like you said, we are seeing some of the best wheel to wheel racing we have seen in a long time and it goes on all the way to the end of the field. Plus the cars move around alot more and we can see the drivers really fighting the cars now which is awesome. I meant that the teams wouldn't worry about wasting time to sort the sound out due to minimal testing like I said. But the sound could quite possibly sound different next season as they have had time to have a bit of a look. But that's all I meant by that.

I'm afraid I agree with Mildashers, its not quite there just yet:

In comparison to this qualifying video (which is in the wet as well), the distinct whizzing is too loud both on throttle and off when it should be only ever that loud under braking. The main sound itself onboard is off and the pops of the downshifts should be heard when it passes by, not onboard. It also lacks that classic judder you only hear in an F1 car (which you can hear in the qualifying video above) and obviously the volume of the engine note is abit exaggerated on the outside when it passes by as well, we all know the complaints about the engines being too quiet. Seems like they tried to mimic the resonance made from the V6 artificially but in doing so, they made abit too loud.

Currently drivers are not allowed to rev past 11k rpm, perhaps codies is louder because it lets you go to the full 15?

This is when they revved higher for testing

Last edited:
The reason behind only shifting at that rpm is because of the stupid engine limit. How you supposed to make 5 engines last the whole season? Drivers will take penalties and they have already been talking about it as they know its inetivable. They also said the difference between one of these new fresh turbo engines compared to a used one is a ridiculous massive margin of power compared to previous years, sound more like rotary turbos if that's the case.

Currently drivers are not allowed to rev past 11k rpm, perhaps codies is louder because it lets you go to the full 15?

This is when they revved higher for testing

That actually does sound louder then they do during the races. Would've love to have heard the onboard to really hear the difference. I could be wrong, but perhaps that's one thing that could've helped with engine volume.

Last edited:
F1 2014: The first F1 game to be rated "M" (or PEGI 18 for many others)

Just read the FAQ page about F1 2014; ditching the classic content is a big mistake IMO.
The turbo engines are a nice new feature, but seeing apart from that you only have a couple of new tracks and the cars are shlong nosed and sound worse, there really is no incentive for me at least to buy this game.

I greatly enjoyed the classic content of '13, and actually never started a 2013 season ingame because of it, as i was doing classic races or classic TT's all the time. Dumb move not to expand on this by codies...

http://blog.codemasters.com/f1/08/f1-2014-and-beyond-your-questions-answered/

They should include all the cars from older F1 generations. Like include last year's, and the year before that, and the year before that, etc. and make a big F1 bundle game.

Just read the FAQ page about F1 2014; ditching the classic content is a big mistake IMO.
The turbo engines are a nice new feature, but seeing apart from that you only have a couple of new tracks and the cars are shlong nosed and sound worse, there really is no incentive for me at least to buy this game.

I greatly enjoyed the classic content of '13, and actually never started a 2013 season ingame because of it, as i was doing classic races or classic TT's all the time. Dumb move not to expand on this by codies...

Aside from losing the classics, I am not entirely sure what you were expecting from the rest of it. It is a game representing the 2014 season so that is what it has.

They should include all the cars from older F1 generations. Like include last year's, and the year before that, and the year before that, etc. and make a big F1 bundle game.

Licensing. I am sure they would if they could.

I'd love F1 game with career mode that has different cars for different seasons.

Aside from losing the classics, I am not entirely sure what you were expecting from the rest of it. It is a game representing the 2014 season so that is what it has.
You leave out my main motivation only to ask me what i expect? For once they actually went ahead and implemented classic F1 racing only to dump it because the new turbo/ shlong nosed formula represents a big enough change to warrant another sale? No, not enough incentive for me to go ahead and buy it and i'm sure many others feel the same.

Did you read that whole blog post?

On the one hand, they're in the process of making the games for the PS4 and XB1, which means, they need to completely re-acquaint themselves with the hardware. Look at the ASSASSIN'S CREED series for comparision - Ubisoft have had a yearly release schedule for some time now, but such were the challenges of creating the upcoming UNITY for the PS4 and XB1 that the game has spent four years in development. And Codemasters are a small studio - they don't have the resources that Ubisoft do.

Secondly, they need to concentrate on making the 2014 (and beyond) content. The engine regulations and penalty system in particular have had a total overhaul. That content needs to be included before any classic content can be considered.

The reason behind only shifting at that rpm is because of the stupid engine limit. How you supposed to make 5 engines last the whole season?
Through engineering and innovation. It might be a heavy penalty now, but after twelve races, only one driver - Kvyat - has taken an ICE penalty. Some of the other Renault drivers are in danger of getting one or two before the season's end, but I expect the number of these penalties will decrease in future seasons. And there's a massive incentive to make durable engines - if you take a penalty that relegates you past 22nd position, you make up the difference

I am surprised how they keep getting away with ditching FP1 and FP2 licence wise.
Most casual gamers just want to pick the game up and play it. They don't want to sit through four hours of free practice before they can race. And you shouldn't force people to navigate menu after menu just to skip those sessions and get to the grid. Codemasters get around it by giving the player a decent set-up for the circuit, allowing experienced gamers to fine-tune it and casual players to learn the circuit, confident that they can drive. On the sport itself, all that time in free practice is spent working on fuel loads, comparative study of tyres and set-up, all of which is done from scratch. It's a layer of complexity that isn't necessary for the game.

Most casual gamers just want to pick the game up and play it. They don't want to sit through four hours of free practice before they can race. And you shouldn't force people to navigate menu after menu just to skip those sessions and get to the grid. Codemasters get around it by giving the player a decent set-up for the circuit, allowing experienced gamers to fine-tune it and casual players to learn the circuit, confident that they can drive. On the sport itself, all that time in free practice is spent working on fuel loads, comparative study of tyres and set-up, all of which is done from scratch. It's a layer of complexity that isn't necessary for the game.
That wasn't what I said. I said I am surprised FOM allow them to ditch it.

I doubt FOM care. And if they did, Codemasters could just make the argument I did about the need for accessibility, and FOM would see the point.

Surely, they could've made it an option. It wouldn't force players who don't want it into using it AND the hardcore enthusiasts that enjoy that (much like they would in F1CE) would get all their practice sessions. They already have a kind of choice in form called "Short Weekend" and "Long Weekend" so they could just expand abit upon that.

Well, they could do that - but it's obviously not a priority, since it's a function that would only be used by a minority. It's not like the in-car view being removed for GRID 2. I'm sure there are features out there that people would be more interested in.

Of course, not all of them would be possible, like an updated driver roster (unless they included everything from 2010 to 2015). But the ability to use custom numbers would be nice.

Would love to see that, its already done a world of good for the F1 drivers as they now have an identifiable number so it would naturally add some customization to an F1 game.

Did you read that whole blog post?

On the one hand, they're in the process of making the games for the PS4 and XB1, which means, they need to completely re-acquaint themselves with the hardware. Look at the ASSASSIN'S CREED series for comparision - Ubisoft have had a yearly release schedule for some time now, but such were the challenges of creating the upcoming UNITY for the PS4 and XB1 that the game has spent four years in development. And Codemasters are a small studio - they don't have the resources that Ubisoft do.

Secondly, they need to concentrate on making the 2014 (and beyond) content. The engine regulations and penalty system in particular have had a total overhaul. That content needs to be included before any classic content can be considered.
Well maybe there is an incentive to own the next gen version as racing games are scarce on those platforms, and sure it takes some coding but i doubt many people will get excited about a season update and run to the stores come release day, especially after we had the classics included last year which made most feel very warm inside.

I wouldn't have picked up '13 if it didn't have it.

You're missing the point - they're literally rebuilding the entire game from scratch. They're not taking F1 2014 assets and applying them across platforms with minor updates for the new season. The 2015 game isn't even going to be called "F1 2015".

Off-Topic: is it just me or does the TV offset view seem to make the car look alittle closer in 2013?

F1 2012:

capture_20140907_055646-jpg.219967

F1 2013:

capture_20140907_060420-jpg.219968

Attachments

• capture_20140907_055646.jpg
    capture_20140907_055646.jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 129
  • capture_20140907_060420.jpg
    capture_20140907_060420.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 131
You're missing the point - they're literally rebuilding the entire game from scratch. They're not taking F1 2014 assets and applying them across platforms with minor updates for the new season. The 2015 game isn't even going to be called "F1 2015".
You're missing my point :D
Can't be bothered without the classic content.

You're missing my point :D
Can't be bothered without the classic content.

I would not expect it back for a while. And frankly that is good, I would rather they nailed the bit of the game hat 99% of people will spend 99% of their time in. I.e career mode, championship mode etc before wasting time and resources on what is essentially a gimmick.

I would not expect it back for a while. And frankly that is good, I would rather they nailed the bit of the game hat 99% of people will spend 99% of their time in. I.e career mode, championship mode etc before wasting time and resources on what is essentially a gimmick.
Guess I must have been an exception playing classics 99% of the time :D

So basically you're saying that regardless of what they do, you won't get the game without having something else other then the cars from 2014, that or you don't care about the current season cars and only for the older cars otherwise its a no-buy regardless of the platform its on.

So I think I may have figured out why the Offset camera in the game doesn't match the real life one exactly: The angle is off, making the car look off-center.

Here's one of my screen caps again:

capture_20140907_060420-jpg.219968

Now here's a real onboard:

If you really look, the camera appears to look outward on the gameplay screencap whereas the rea onboard looks downward. What it looks like is that the camera on the game is set too low and its not angled downward. Its also pointing more to the left then the right, which makes the car sit at an uneven angle.

Last edited:
Back