F1 2015!

There's what I think is a bug on 2015 cars on mix3, do not use it longer than for a straight. Otherwise engine overheats immediately, which is ridiculous IMO. It's maybe why you have top speed issues too.
I recommend never using mix 3, unless for very long straights and for those straights only. Not even in a full quali lap, you'll lose time. When not overheating top speed seems decent, with a Ferrari or Mercedes you cruise by Renault or Honda engines !

2014 cars are not affected.

So serious question, why do they need to make everything look so brown and weird? :D I just want to play an F1 game that looks and performs like PCars, Suppose I'll wait until 2016 if they don't fix MP and their weird looking basic white girl style filtered tracks 👍

About the physics, the game does give a good feeling in my opinion (PS4, DS4). Nothing too "deep", but enjoyable. The car doesn't feel like it's on rails anymore, the huge torque of those turbo engines is well implemented, you have to be careful exiting some corners even in the dry and on the grippiest tire. Even more noticeable in the wet, usually shortshifting is crucial to avoid too much wheelspin. Nothing too scary or undriveable, countersteer is pretty easy (but it can cost some tenths as it should be) and once you get used to it, it gives a good felling as I said.

Unfortunately, there's a big problem regarding top speeds against AI, at least for me. I've tried a lot of car/track/difficulty combinations, but more or less the problem is always there: AI is just too fast on straights, and too slow on some corners to make the matter even worse. Also, it's too easy to overheat the engine, which has a dramatic effect on the top speed. Last example with Hulkenberg, Melbourne, penultimate difficulty. I set the downforce to 1-1 (lowest) but it's not so helpful, even Toro Rossos and McLarens easily overtook me (despite the difference in terms of engine performances). Especially on the fast, long left corner before T2, it's like you're 30/40 km/h slower than anyone else. You can defend your position staying on the inside and braking late into the fast left-right chicane, your opponent usually leaves enough space to you and gives up, but this often causes some contacts/crashes behind you. Because being 30 km/h slower, there's usually a queue behind you. You let them overtake you, and you'll find them really slow in the middle of some corners, just at the apex. So if you try to change your approach to the "slow entrance, fast exit" one, you're probably going to crash into them. That's probably why their pace is somehow realistic when you're in qualifying or racing alone: what they gain on straights, they lose in corners.
If you manage to catch the driver/drivers in front of you, you'll almost certainly end up overheating your engine, which apparently always needs clear air in front of the car. And you only need half a lap reasonably close behind your opponent to overheat it, not 5 or 6 laps which could've been realistic. Just a few corners. And this, even while being really careful shifting before the red line and not using the "rich" mix of fuel. So you back off because your engine doesn't push anymore and you find yourself again with a Lotus Elise with some Veyrons behind you. It's a vicious circle.

Speed issue is a known bug on the official forum. Acknoledged by codemaster itself will be addressed in the incoming patches. At least is what they say.

I took a look on the official forum, and there's a topic about a problem with the DS4: due to controller's poor build quality, some are having issues with the R2 trigger assigned as throttle, which doesn't give full power. I did some testing with throttle assigned to the R3 stick and there's a big difference, so that's my top speed issue solved, I'll edit my previous post. It's really strange and it must be only about F1 2015 being too "susceptible" about that, in a few months playing Project Cars (with R2 as throttle) I've never noticed that, nor noticed something strange about my cars performances. Same with Driveclub.
Thanks @David Talle for your suggestions. Engine overheating remains a problem, especially when you're closely following other cars.

Nice to see that Q1,Q2 and Q3 have now a realistic logic in terms of weather, at least from what I've seen so far. I remember that on PS3 they were ridiculous: Q1 finishes with the track completely soaked and rain, Q2 (which is 5 minutes later) starts with dry track, high temperatures and not a single cloud. Now they seem to be realistic.

I've noticed they haven't changed Interlagos, 2014 and 2015 versions are exactly the same. If I remember correctly this year there should be a longer straight after the downhill left-right as you can see here:

novo-interlagos-02.jpg

Also new pits too, we'll see if they'll update the track in the game.

So they decided to move the pits ? I remember it was up to discussion few months ago since some would like to maintain the current pits location.

Had a great last lap battle with Verstappen for 7th in Malaysia. The AI can be fairly decent in this game.

So they decided to move the pits ? I remember it was up to discussion few months ago since some would like to maintain the current pits location.

No, those are old plans. There were plans to move the pits to that straight, with a slight change of track for that corner, but they've now decided to rebuild the pits in the existing position, so there are no track alterations (outside of a bump).

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/115292

I already criticized the AI myself earlier on this thread and elsewhere but after a fair amount of time playing the game I recognize it is pretty good but some time behave in a WTF manner (and ignore blue flags most of the time). I've made a short compilation illustrating this with what I've had on my HDD at the moment.

I already criticized the AI myself earlier on this thread and elsewhere but after a fair amount of time playing the game I recognize it is pretty good but some time behave in a WTF manner (and ignore blue flags most of the time). I've made a short compilation illustrating this with what I've had on my HDD at the moment.

I actually think that video perfectly illustrates how good the AI is in this game. Let's analyse those overtakes.

1. Rosberg had a run on you, you squeezed him right up to the wall, just a little too much, but no serious contact, just a light touch of tyres. He was forced to take a tight entry into turn one, and as a result ran wide on exit, allowing you to come back past. As you passed him, you took the apex, which forced him to back out of it. If he had kept it planted, there would have been contact. So as you were ahead, it was your corner, he yields, and lives to fight another day. Very good! (This was exactly like one of the many overtaking attempts in the 2014 Bahrain GP by Rosberg on Hamilton, with the same outcome, you in place of Hamilton)

2. In this one it's Hamilton with the run on you. You squeeze him into the braking zone, and his entry is made very tight. Exactly the same as Rosberg. The difference here, is where Rosberg ran deep in front of you, and you switched back on him, in this one you were right alongside Hamilton at the turn in point. Your line into the corner meant if he didn't slow down that much, he would have hit you. His entry was so tight that he couldn't turn tightly enough to avoid you. He did the right thing and yielded to avoid contact. Sometimes the AI is a little too perfect in this regard, but not always, which leads to:

3. Here you have a Lotus trying it down the inside after being on the outside of the previous turn. I'm going to say it's Maldonado, because it's more funny that way. So Maldonado tries to stick his nose into an ever closing gap, and instead of yielding, like he should have, he keeps at it until he's chopped by you, which puts you off track. Another penalty for Maldonado (presumably :lol:), but nice to see that the AI isn't always perfect when it comes to split second decisions of when to yield or when to be aggressive. The move on Ricciardo was clean and issue free. Then when you dive down the inside of the Sauber, he knows he's lost the corner and stays out wide, not turning into you, which he would have if he stayed on the racing line and drove normally. So another good yield by the AI.

I've experienced all of this as well obviously, and from my experience, the AI drivers will yield 90% of the time when they should. I agree they are more aggressive under blues than the previous codies F1 games though. But then in the earlier ones, I always felt they backed off way too early and way too much, so I think they're closer now to how they should be, but perhaps I'd like them to yield a little more when given blue flags.

I took a look on the official forum, and there's a topic about a problem with the DS4: due to controller's poor build quality, some are having issues with the R2 trigger assigned as throttle, which doesn't give full power. I did some testing with throttle assigned to the R3 stick and there's a big difference, so that's my top speed issue solved, I'll edit my previous post. It's really strange and it must be only about F1 2015 being too "susceptible" about that, in a few months playing Project Cars (with R2 as throttle) I've never noticed that, nor noticed something strange about my cars performances. Same with Driveclub.
Thanks @David Talle for your suggestions. Engine overheating remains a problem, especially when you're closely following other cars.

Nice to see that Q1,Q2 and Q3 have now a realistic logic in terms of weather, at least from what I've seen so far. I remember that on PS3 they were ridiculous: Q1 finishes with the track completely soaked and rain, Q2 (which is 5 minutes later) starts with dry track, high temperatures and not a single cloud. Now they seem to be realistic.

I've noticed they haven't changed Interlagos, 2014 and 2015 versions are exactly the same. If I remember correctly this year there should be a longer straight after the downhill left-right as you can see here:

View attachment 421832

View attachment 421832

what about guys playing with a wheel? It seems they are having the top-speed issue too.. canìt be a R2 issue for them. I do not have the game yet, can you map pedals deadzone and sensitivity?
ciao

2. In this one it's Hamilton with the run on you. You squeeze him into the braking zone, and his entry is made very tight. Exactly the same as Rosberg. The difference here, is where Rosberg ran deep in front of you, and you switched back on him, in this one you were right alongside Hamilton at the turn in point. Your line into the corner meant if he didn't slow down that much, he would have hit you. His entry was so tight that he couldn't turn tightly enough to avoid you. He did the right thing and yielded to avoid contact. Sometimes the AI is a little too perfect in this regard, but not always, which leads to:
I'll add that whether Räikkönen has been too safe or Hamilton has done a good defensive job sticking on the inside to keep position (because I think I did let him enough space through the corner :P)

For the slight contact at Bahrain, yeah with a pad it's kind of hard to be that much on the edge without crossing the line :D (and it was Grosjean in Malaysia and that pathetic chuchu train saved my race ! )
What's for sure it in any cases the old AI would have backed off half way on the straight already.

BTW the patch on PC fixes the mix 3 overheating issue and I've heard it improves AI behavior under blue flag condition. Maybe more (I'm on PS4 can't say).

I'll add that whether Räikkönen has been too safe or Hamilton has done a good defensive job sticking on the inside to keep position (because I think I did let him enough space through the corner :P)

For the slight contact at Bahrain, yeah with a pad it's kind of hard to be that much on the edge without crossing the line :D (and it was Grosjean in Malaysia and that pathetic chuchu train saved my race ! )
What's for sure it in any cases the old AI would have backed off half way on the straight already.

BTW the patch on PC fixes the mix 3 overheating issue and I've heard it improves AI behavior under blue flag condition. Maybe more (I'm on PS4 can't say).

Yeah I know it's hard to be mega accurate with the controller, I've done the exact same thing numerous times, touching tyres when trying to squeeze the AI going into the braking zone, so don't stress mate 👍

I'm gonna ignore that bit about it being Grosjean (I had figured it was by the helmet anyway), because it's more fun for me to imagine it was Maldonado. It would certainly be more realistic lol.

Anyway, I reckon they are perhaps a little too safe, and could use a tiny bump in their aggression, but I like that they seem to know when they are meant to yield most of the time.

Excellent news about the patch!

I had an awesome race yesterday at Montreal. I qualified in 5th as Vettel with Hamilton 1st, Rosberg 2nd, Raikkonen 3rd, and Bottas 4th. I had the race at 25% distance so I could finish before having to leave for something. It started in the dry and I got a good start and got to 3rd by turn 2. I couldn't catch up to Rosberg with the powerful Mercedes engine and had to deal with Raikkonen trying to pass me in the DRS zones. Pit stops occured on lap 8 with the usual switch to prime tyres. Then later that lap, it started to rain lightly. On lap 12 everyone switched to intermediates. I surprisingly had made huge gains against Rosberg in the slick conditions. Both Mercedes drivers pitted at once which meant that Rosberg had a 5 second pitstop plus waiting on Hamilton. I was able to pass him on the pit lane and get to second! Then on lap 14, heavy rain started to fall and the circuit was not drivable by lap 17/18. Everyone including me pitted again for full wets, this time I was only a second behind Hamilton. At pit exit I was right behind him. On the final lap, one of the Marussia's was still on Super Softs from the first stop and caused Hamilton to slow greatly. I was able to over take him coming into the final chicane and take the win! What a race!

Last edited:
I too, had a great race yesterday. 3rd race of the season on 50% race length, AI on Hard, As I said above I'm currently playing as Alonso. Managed to qualify in 9th place when the team only required a 12th so that was a good start. Come race-day, the rain was bucketing down...wettest race so far in the season. From the start line I managed to climb 4 places into 8th by the time the first lap was over. By pushing hard on the corners(the McLaren really excels here) I managed to slowly work my way up to 6th by lap 13. I decided to take my pit stop on the 14th lap amidst the still bucketing rain. All was well, holding off Riccardo and Bottas to hold 6th just and it became especially difficult when DRS was enabled on lap 19...then the rain started to wear thin. My engineer said it was a better idea to just hold it out however the track was become less grippy by the second and when I heard that Lewis was switching compund I decided to risk it. Switching to a much gripper set-up I managed to reel in Grosjean in 5th and overtook him with 3 laps remaining. Taking home my highest finish of the season 👍

The season so far:
Australia - 13th(6 cars glitched in the pits, would have been last)
Malaysia - 7th
China - 5th

This game really shines on the track. 👍

An interesting discussion on the realism of tyre wear in this game.
http://steamcommunity.com/app/286570/discussions/0/537402115085214927/#p1

I found out myself today how much you can overdrive the tyres with a poor car. Using a Manor, in Albert Park, I was shredding my rear tyres, due to a combination of a poor chassis, me driving it very aggressively with a controller, and me having set it up with an overly aggressive set up. Too much negative camber, which was making the tyres overheat badly every corner, especially with the amount I was leaning on them lol.

The set up worked well for qualifying, as I put the Manor in 13th on the grid, against legend AI. Started the race on primes, and my pit window opened on lap 12 (50% race distance). By about lap 6 I notice my rear tyres are showing significant signs of wear. Half way around lap 10 I get a puncture, and have to limp to the pits (I was in tenth place at the time). I took it easier for the rest of the race, but I was running a fair bit of negative camber in the set up, and the track temp was over 40 degrees all weekend, so I must have just been scorching the tyres.

The set ups aren't overly realistic, but it's nice to see the scripted tyre wear of all the previous F1 games is gone, and the tyre wear and temperature is now dynamic for each wheel. I'll learn in future to sacrifice speed in my set up and my driving style to improve my tyre wear. Physics in this game are a big improvement over the previous F1 games by Codies.

I thought tyre wear was still scripted until recently. I still think it is, however it is more flexible than what I thought.

During a quali session I picked up a set of new options on my first attempt, I did a slow and smooth out lap, then one hotlap and again a slow in lap. I could improve my time so I picked up another set of options in the garage but this time I choose to skip the out lap and jump straight into the hotlap, then I came back in the garage after my hotlap.
I checked tyre wear and guess what, the first set was 5% used and the 2nd was 8%.
So whether the game made several laps before my hotlap or driving has actually a slight effect on wear.

I thought tyre wear was still scripted until recently. I still think it is, however it is more flexible than what I thought.

During a quali session I picked up a set of new options on my first attempt, I did a slow and smooth out lap, then one hotlap and again a slow in lap. I could improve my time so I picked up another set of options in the garage but this time I choose to skip the out lap and jump straight into the hotlap, then I came back in the garage after my hotlap.
I checked tyre wear and guess what, the first set was 5% used and the 2nd was 8%.
So whether the game made several laps before my hotlap or driving has actually a slight effect on wear.

Nah it's not scripted anymore, it's definitely dynamic. The only part I would kind of class as scripted is that you will get a puncture if your tyres get to a certain wear level, but that's the very end of their life, and I really don't mind that.

If you allow the AI to do your outlap, it must drive too hard on the tyres. I've followed them when they're on an outlap (being unlucky enough to time my timed lap when AI are coming out of the pits), and they definitely don't take it easy, they drive just as quick on their outlap as they do on their timed laps. It's annoying, as the dirty air effect is there, and they don't let you through, so it ruins your timed lap if your car is a bit faster than theirs.

The wear is closely related to heat. There will be a base rate of wear, with any excessive heating of the tyres accelerating that wear. Flat spots aren't simulated, but lock ups seem to accelerate wear dramatically instead. Also over-use of the kerbs, run-off areas, and grass, will wear your tyres quicker too.

In the thread I posted, one guy was complaining about prime tyres wearing right out to blow out point in 5 or 6 laps, but someone else, who drove with a wheel, was able to make the options last more than 12 laps, and primes longer than that, just by driving smoothly, and keeping an eye on the temp graphic, being careful not to overheat the tyres. One person had to do 4 stops to get to the end of the gp, and the other did it in one stop. I've also noticed my driving style affecting not only wear rates, but which tyres are going off. I was driving with a car set up to oversteer, late braking with a rearward bias, and it didn't take long for my rear tyres to start going off, while the fronts were still fine. Definitely dynamic, which is good news. Shows they are moving the series in the right direction with more simulation and less scripting.

what about guys playing with a wheel? It seems they are having the top-speed issue too.. canìt be a R2 issue for them. I do not have the game yet, can you map pedals deadzone and sensitivity?
ciao

I can speak only for my experience: after changing assignment, now I don't have any problems regarding top speed. I don't have a wheel so I can't tell about that. For sure engines tend to overheat a bit too easily, and that affects top speeds quite dramatically. And that's an issue, like the fuel mix one.
I'm almost sure I haven't seen anything about sensitivity and deadzones for DS4 so far in the menus, but I might be wrong since I only bought the game a week ago.

Singapore in the rain is one of the best things I've seen graphically this generation. My god. :drool:

I agree, it's comparable to what is seen in the trailers.
There's also that surprising shot that you can see in my above video at 0:20; nice reflections on the white line etc... When I saw that I was like "What ? That ain't the game that I played for the last 3 weeks !".
Unfortunately the game quickly return to normal afterward. :indiff:

Different team to the ones in the past though, new lead etc. I think, and indirectly Alan on Team VVV has mentioned, perhaps the lack of modes and stuff is an indication that they are working on making the game work, as in work properly. It's really the only reason I can see them having for leaving out staples like career mode. Just make a good game that works and build on that.

Mark my words, this game won't be broken, won't need many if any patches and 2016 will have career mode back as well as any other features we may have lost in this iteration.

Told you :P

From that perspective I think the 2015 version of the game works quite nicely. The driving physics are the best IMO compared to the last 5 releases. The wheel controls are "tight" and immersive. The frame rate on console is MUCH better. 30FPS just doesn't cut it anymore for console racing games in this day in age. PC racing sims/games left 30 FPS back in 2002. LOL I'm enjoying it. If 2016 builds on this framework that will be great. New Team...NEW ideas.
If I could give the developer some advice...I would tell them to hire artists to go in and work on the little details. The textures need to look more realistic especially in certain areas such as the garage and pit lane. Bring in some grid girls. We have the team on the grid, why not add some "sexy". Shift racing games did this well and the girls on the real formula one grids are very hot to draw inspiration from. Just some random thoughts =)

I agree with all of that, but feel I should add that grid girls are already in the game. The game even shows close ups of them sometimes. I couldn't find a decent screen shot on google, but in this one you can see one of the girls in the background.

kTS9aqY.jpg

I agree with all of that, but feel I should add that grid girls are already in the game. The game even shows close ups of them sometimes. I couldn't find a decent screen shot on google, but in this one you can see one of the girls in the background.

kTS9aqY.jpg

Good catch. I see her way in the back ;-) I now seem to remember grid girls were loosely spotted during some early press releases, but I yet to see them in the game. Maybe we need to prove our worth by setting some fast times first in order to see them =)

FMW
Good catch. I see her way in the back ;-) I now seem to remember grid girls were loosely spotted during some early press releases, but I yet to see them in the game. Maybe we need to prove our worth by setting some fast times first in order to see them =)

I'm not sure mate, it seems to be random, but I've seen them a few times in the little cut scenes before the race where the commentators are talking. I specifically remember the skin texture on them is way overdone. The skin on their arms looks leathery lol.

i finally bought it for ps4. T300GTE is working well, playable with default settings, the only issue is the force feedback, so week and bad. But hey.. codemaster never delivered proper wheel support..
It's a good game, there a few bugs to be fixed. the biggest issue is the framerate.

Back