F1 2018 General Discussion

• Thread starter khr1s
  • 344 comments

Wow it looks like many parts of the game has been overhauled. They've added safety rating to multiplayer. New suspension and chassis physics. New tire temps. Better graphics ("environmental mist, heat haze, track mirage effects, new engine heat haze and off racing line dirt kick-up"). Contracts when switching teams.

A new Forza game comes out every year and people see to always be excited
That's not the same Forza every year though. In any case it would make more sense to be excited for that than an F1 game every year. F1 is virtually the same few tracks every year and one car pretty much.

I just can't get excited for F1 games any longer. Imagine if GT came out every year, people would be lile wtf. And

2017 was a massive improvement over 2016..the R&D tree was massively detailed compared to the bare bones approach of the earlier game.

2018 looks to be even more in depth..

We FINALLY get coloured team dots on the mini map!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I just got an email from Best Buy that the release date has been changed, to August 31st. I must have missed something, because it should have been released this coming Friday.

Edit: Canceled my Best Buy order, and ordered it from Amazon instead. Amazon shipped it earlier today, and should be here on Friday!

Last edited:
Platinum Trophy (not applicable on Xbox)
Trophy Collector
Acquire every trophy in F1® 2018

Career
Something to prove
Accept a contract with Toro Rosso, Williams or Sauber

Contender
Accept a contract with Renault, Haas, McLaren or Force India

Great expectations
Accept a contract with Ferrari, Mercedes or Red Bull

Seen the sights
Complete a Full Season of 21 Races in Career or Championships Mode

From humble beginnings
Complete your first Practice Programme

As good as it gets
Apply all vehicle upgrades from one department

It's in there somewhere
Finish a race with a missing gear

Yours is the Earth and everything that’s in it
Win the Formula 1 Drivers' Championship

There's no "I" in team
Win the Formula 1 Constructors' Championship

Go Team!
Obtain an upgrade at a reduced cost due to good morale

Flattery will get you anywhere
Negotiate a new contract

Best laid plans
Lose an upgrade due to a regulation change

Purple Rain
Achieve a perfect result in a Practice Programme in wet weather

I expect the best and I give the best
Earn maximum Resource Points during Practice

Inspiring confidence
Receive a promotion to first driver

Matching a legend
Obtain 41 podium finishes in Career Mode

Streets ahead
Win the Drivers' Championship at USA, or earlier

A new challenger appears
Take your first win in any full season

Multiplayer
Sceptre
Win a total of 4 Online Races

More to come
Complete a Race in an Online Championship

Safety first
Obtain a Safety Rating of 'A' in Multiplayer

Every artist was first an amateur
Obtain a Skill Rating in Multiplayer

Aces High
Obtain a rank of 11 Online

The Trooper
Obtain a rank of 25 Online

Championships:
The winner takes it all
Obtain a gold medal in a championship

Time Trial:
Patent pending
Set a valid Time Trial lap with a set up taken from a rival ghost

It's about time
Set a clean lap in any Time Trial

Miscellaneous:

Smile!
Enter Photo Mode

Back on track
Complete a lap at Hockenheim

Improvise. Adapt. Overcome.
Complete a race using four different tyre compounds

Stepping up
Achieve a podium finish in any game mode

Welcome to the real world
Complete any race with all assists disabled

Right place, right time
Finish on the podium at Singapore in Fernando Alonso's McLaren

Clean sweep
Set the fastest time in all 3 Practice sessions, take pole position and win the Grand Prix

It's still good, it's still good
Use a Flashback

It's the little things
Use the Multi Function Display to adjust your set-up while on track

The 1.6% club
Win a 25% + distance race against 'Ultimate' AI opponents

Seriously, JEFF!
Politely ask your Race Engineer to stop talking to you out on track

Best seat in the house
Take pole position

Homecoming
Finish in the points at Le Castellet in a Renault

Superficially familiar
Complete a race in a classic Lotus at the Circuit of the Americas

For Thomas
Win the Spanish Grand Prix with Kimi Räikkönen

Quick as a flash
Achieve a reaction time of less than 0.16 Seconds off the grid with race starts set to manual

Out of the gates
Complete a valid qualifying lap using the Hotlap ERS deployment mode

On your left
Finish on the podium after being eliminated in Q1

Use it or lose it
Finish a race with a fully depleted battery

Bright Spark
Generate enough energy through ERS to power a light bulb for a year

Stick or shift
With manual gears enabled race a car with a non sequential gearbox

Making inroads
Complete a race at every short track

https://www.exophase.com/game/f1-2018-psn/trophies/

Simply games have dispatched my copy today. Should arrive in the morning. Really fed up with project cars now so this will be a welcome change from that bug ridden mess.
Or maybe not. Annoys me that theres no f1 for a month then the game will come on same weekend as spa.....no time to play it !

I ordered yesterday from Amazon, hopefully it will arrive tomorrow. The classic car list is particularly appealing.

Enjoy a few of my hotlap videos from this morning's first half hour of playing. All with Logitech G920, ABS off and medium traction.

Are they going to update the new teams some drivers are on now. I know it would be cool to still race as Fernando Alonso but it be nicer if all the teams where correct or do we just have to wait till f1 2019. It’s a bummer if we have to but I understand.

So the Brawn is a bit of a handful. Where's all of my illegal downforce!? :lol:

It's a bit of a dog on initial turn-in as well, but you can just knock the brake bias down to the 52% and it opens up real nice. Granted, I'm saying all of this and haven't played a racing game with a wheel in a long while, so I am beyond rusty.

Couple of photomode shots. Hard to move the camera with wheel.
efa85f67-0838-49d7-896b-be696c77b14a.PNG
6ac94da9-9ab3-4b07-a90d-2931e71fd163.PNG

Mh. Started with the career mode at 12AM sharp. So far so good, the game is brilliant, the handling doesn't even compare with the boat race that was F1 2017, but...

I had a very weird first race, with Hamilton getting a 10 position grid penalty because of a gearbox change (on the first race?), a whopping eight cars retiring, only two of which because of mechanical issues (apparently when no one is looking, the AI just likes to plow into walls?), a safety car straight out of nowhere (I think Hulkenberg and Ricciardo having a small and inconsequential tangle may have caused it) that didn't let the lapped cars unlap themselves (bug, or Codies just forgot?) and picked up some drivers at very odd points, resulting in me falling one lap behind guys that were ten or fifteen seconds ahead of me (and I had no chance whatsoever of catching, but hey!). The winner was Hulkenberg - don't get me wrong, I like him and believe just as much as the next guy he's overdue for a podium finish, but really?

And then there are some very noticeable issues with the statistics. Every single instance of a VSC (and you can believe there were many) resulted in five or six cars getting flagged as "speeding" in the Race Director screen (although I am pretty sure that in reality, they did no such thing and served no drive-through). The fastest lap was by Perez, with a 0:25 stunner (I figure it was his T1 time, and the game forgot to add T2 and T3?). Ocon finished right ahead of me in 7th, but was... 16 laps behind the winner?

Then there is the pleasant surprise of my Williams having put only a 2% wear on the engine components overall. Which means that I may finish the season on a single engine, and still have something left in it for the following season! I wasn't going much slower than my targets, and the car couldn't go much faster either. I certainly hope, for the sake of realism, that it is because the Australian GP is not too heavy on the engine and gearbox... Otherwise I may as well keep damage on just to see all those bits of carbon fly after the first couple of corners.

Grrr, CJS Keys still haven't restocked Steam keys so I haven't even been able to start the download!

If your buying for PC, give Greenmangaming a try, never have any issues pre-ordering games through them. I got my key for F1 2018 at around 9pm lastnight.

Mh. Started with the career mode at 12AM sharp. So far so good, the game is brilliant, the handling doesn't even compare with the boat race that was F1 2017, but...

I had a very weird first race, with Hamilton getting a 10 position grid penalty because of a gearbox change (on the first race?), a whopping eight cars retiring, only two of which because of mechanical issues (apparently when no one is looking, the AI just likes to plow into walls?), a safety car straight out of nowhere (I think Hulkenberg and Ricciardo having a small and inconsequential tangle may have caused it) that didn't let the lapped cars unlap themselves (bug, or Codies just forgot?) and picked up some drivers at very odd points, resulting in me falling one lap behind guys that were ten or fifteen seconds ahead of me (and I had no chance whatsoever of catching, but hey!). The winner was Hulkenberg - don't get me wrong, I like him and believe just as much as the next guy he's overdue for a podium finish, but really?

And then there are some very noticeable issues with the statistics. Every single instance of a VSC (and you can believe there were many) resulted in five or six cars getting flagged as "speeding" in the Race Director screen (although I am pretty sure that in reality, they did no such thing and served no drive-through). The fastest lap was by Perez, with a 0:25 stunner (I figure it was his T1 time, and the game forgot to add T2 and T3?). Ocon finished right ahead of me in 7th, but was... 16 laps behind the winner?

Then there is the pleasant surprise of my Williams having put only a 2% wear on the engine components overall. Which means that I may finish the season on a single engine, and still have something left in it for the following season! I wasn't going much slower than my targets, and the car couldn't go much faster either. I certainly hope, for the sake of realism, that it is because the Australian GP is not too heavy on the engine and gearbox... Otherwise I may as well keep damage on just to see all those bits of carbon fly after the first couple of corners.

wow

I've been at work all day dying to get home and give this a go, however reading this has somewhat put me off

Latest Posts

Back