F1 2018 General Discussion

• Thread starter khr1s
  • 344 comments
Are they going to update the new teams some drivers are on now. I know it would be cool to still race as Fernando Alonso but it be nicer if all the teams where correct or do we just have to wait till f1 2019. It’s a bummer if we have to but I understand.

Having Alonso drive for the remainder of the season is correct.

Mh. Started with the career mode at 12AM sharp. So far so good, the game is brilliant, the handling doesn't even compare with the boat race that was F1 2017, but...

I had a very weird first race, with Hamilton getting a 10 position grid penalty because of a gearbox change (on the first race?), a whopping eight cars retiring, only two of which because of mechanical issues (apparently when no one is looking, the AI just likes to plow into walls?), a safety car straight out of nowhere (I think Hulkenberg and Ricciardo having a small and inconsequential tangle may have caused it) that didn't let the lapped cars unlap themselves (bug, or Codies just forgot?) and picked up some drivers at very odd points, resulting in me falling one lap behind guys that were ten or fifteen seconds ahead of me (and I had no chance whatsoever of catching, but hey!). The winner was Hulkenberg - don't get me wrong, I like him and believe just as much as the next guy he's overdue for a podium finish, but really?

And then there are some very noticeable issues with the statistics. Every single instance of a VSC (and you can believe there were many) resulted in five or six cars getting flagged as "speeding" in the Race Director screen (although I am pretty sure that in reality, they did no such thing and served no drive-through). The fastest lap was by Perez, with a 0:25 stunner (I figure it was his T1 time, and the game forgot to add T2 and T3?). Ocon finished right ahead of me in 7th, but was... 16 laps behind the winner?

Then there is the pleasant surprise of my Williams having put only a 2% wear on the engine components overall. Which means that I may finish the season on a single engine, and still have something left in it for the following season! I wasn't going much slower than my targets, and the car couldn't go much faster either. I certainly hope, for the sake of realism, that it is because the Australian GP is not too heavy on the engine and gearbox... Otherwise I may as well keep damage on just to see all those bits of carbon fly after the first couple of corners.

Very odd. My equipment wear was very consistent throughout my short-race season; I ended up having to get a third engine on the penultimate grand prix, and picked up additional grid-penalty items on the last race too.

I've seen a few mentions of these unnaturally quick lap times, and didn't see them in my time with the pre-release copy for my review... and then saw it for myself the first time last night. That's, uh, problematic...

As with just about every Codemasters F1 release there's some bugs in there - the Codies forum is alight with people reporting problems. Let's hope they can actually fix all the bugs this time around, rather than simply mitigate some them as they did with F1 2017.

It's early days still, and it's the risk one takes as an early adopter these days. At least they push fixes these days - I remember the original Formula 1 for the PS1 where in certain circumstances once your teammate had pitted he would then pit every lap thereafter, and there was no fix for that as the game was purely disk based.

Now admittedly I've only been playing it today, but my initial opinion is that if you only have a passing interest in F1 and already have 2017 then you've already got the F1 game that you need. If you have an earlier version then I'd recommend giving it a look, or perhaps looking at 2017 for half the price. If you're a die hard F1 fan then you've probably bought 2018 already, or will do out of principle, and you won't be wrong to.

Oh and speaking of bugs, if you thought Emma was irritating then just wait until you cop a load of Clare. Unfortunately these are actually fully documented "features" and therefore won't be fixed.

Anyone know how I can change so that the 6 red buttons on my G27 are functional?

Right now the left 3 are like 1 button and the right 3 are like 1 button. So that's 4 wasted buttons.

Anyone know how I can change so that the 6 red buttons on my G27 are functional?

Right now the left 3 are like 1 button and the right 3 are like 1 button. So that's 4 wasted buttons.

Settings > Controls, Vibration & FFB > Controller & Calibration Schemes > Highlight G27 and press whatever your 'Options' button is > Edit.

Settings > Controls, Vibration & FFB > Controller & Calibration Schemes > Highlight G27 and press whatever your 'Options' button is > Edit.
Did not work.

Had to download a logitech profiler from 2010. Then it somehow worked...

Did not work.

Had to download a logitech profiler from 2010. Then it somehow worked...

uF9MjJo3QIaijySXC4iL_Confused%20Christian%20Bale.gif

I don't...I'm glad it worked in the end though.

Anyone getting this weird lighting glitch? Just fired the game up through Steam and it did this once the track loaded in and hasn't gone away while driving.

Attachments

• 20180824174232_1.jpg
    20180824174232_1.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 39
Curious, are the physics as good as the F1 car on GT Sport? I have last years F1 game and I feel it lags significantly behind GT Sport in sim and physics.

The handling seems more planted in this and accurate...you can tell they have worked on the physics of the car - suspension etc. You can feel every bump. Graphics are a slight improved over 2017 - more refined if anything. And it seems the screen tearing has finally gone!

Started my career with Williams - finished Australia in 8th. Surprised by Magnusson & Sainz' pace,who finished ahead of me. There were 4 retirements - i didnt see any glitches or bugs so thats a good sign. Did 1.04 get rid of some?

ERS adds some more strategy to races - theres so much to keep an eye on in races now. Some really big choices now on when to max out the ERS.

AI looks good,i could see ahead of me for a couple of laps that Magnusson tried to hold off Raikonnen but eventually surrended. The AI is quite aggressive behind me at times,which may cause an issue soon,so im not sure if thats something they need to look at. Playing on 80 atm.

Why do I start career races with 10-20 laps less fuel than I should?

100% race length.

That means I have to use lean mix for most of the race... Again...

I like the game but slightly disappointed with graphics on the one x. They seem a bit grainy compared to pc2 which are sharp and polished. No screen tearing but i expected a bit more to be honest.

Why do I start career races with 10-20 laps less fuel than I should?

100% race length.

That means I have to use lean mix for most of the race... Again...

Opposite problem for me. Q1 around Spa today I left the pits with 4 laps of fuel, came back in 6 laps later with... 4 laps of fuel remaining.

I’m on the fence with the physics. It seems that there’s abolutely nothing you can do to the modern cars to get them out of shape and they stick to the road like a train sticks to tracks (both of my dead grannys could drive one of these), but the FFB feels good and the control is very responsive. On the other hand the vintage cars feel much more twitchy - especially the 70’s era cars. Replays look very “stiff” and not really fluid so there’s a way to go there for the Codies.

I play with tc and abs on alittle because I’m
Just not good yet without it but going to try more with out assists but it’s tough without tc need at lest that I think. But handling is better then last year can definitely feel a difference

Managed to win at Bahrain, but would have come 3rd if not Vettel and Hamilton had not DNF'd.

Mixed feelings but still a great result for my Williams. :dopey:

I like the game but slightly disappointed with graphics on the one x. They seem a bit grainy compared to pc2 which are sharp and polished. No screen tearing but i expected a bit more to be honest.

Huh, other way round for me. PC2 I found quite disappointing but I've been very impressed with F1s clarity and fidelity.

So how is the FFB compared to 2017 on PS4?

I only played about 5 hours last night with it, got the first two races in my career done, and so far it seems about the same. After Melbourne I adjusted the FFB to 110%, and set my Steering DZ to 5%. Set the wheel to 270d rotation... and for me anyway, it's perfect (I'm running a T-300).

I'm actually very impressed with this iteration in the series - I think they have made some nice improvements, for instance the cars just seem to handle better (and that may be because they are wider, have wider tires, and a little more dF available). One thing I find interesting is that the Halo doesn't really bother me at all. I thought, "I'm gonna have to turn that crap off" :lol:, especially when I read that you could remove the center support - but it hasn't really been a factor. So far I think this has been a worthy buy (I would have anyway), much more so than buying Madden or Fifa every year.

Also, ran a few of the old cars, and they are just plain 'ol fun!! Think I'm gonna order the Thrustmaster F1 rim before the end of the day. . . :D

Same, the game looks pretty amazing on PS4 pro.

Yeah, it does, and I'm on a Standard PS4... About the only thing I think PC2 looks better is the clouds, but only slightly. Pretty happy to have both games - can put off getting a PC a little longer. :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
I've heard really good things about the FFB, but after playing about an hour this morning I didn't get much from it with out of the box settings.

Any recommended FFB settings for Thrustmaster TX?

Have played for about an hour now, really good fun, and a solid step forward from 2017. Just testing this and that tomorrow, will start career tomorrow, in STR or Williams.... Mmmmmmm decisions decisions lol!

Made a new intro for my YouTube channel! :D

Back