F1 2018 General Discussion

• Thread starter khr1s
  • 344 comments
I'm already struggling with PU management, which is exactly what happened to me in F1 2017. Instead of struggling with overusing the ICE, MGU-K, and CE (most of my wear came at Australia and Hungary), this time I'm struggling with MGU-H wear.

My comments. I love the game but it lacks some important items for me:
1. Where is "Save Replay" button? I need the feature to save and manage replays. I'm missing many highlights without it.
2. Speaking of PC version I can't believe F1 2018 still doesn't support VR. I used to play in VR Assetto Corsa. Drive in VR even easier and immersion is better.

Not to mention things that many people wait since F1 2010. Control car manually in pit-lane. This is critical part of any race that requires driver skills but instead we should watch ugly animation. But as far as I know, according to license Codemasters has, it is prohibited to control car by player in pit lane, so Codemasters cannot implement it.

Photo mode thread?
2qjdb7t.jpg

Hi everyone. Which difficulty level you use to be competitive with AI? Without any helpers, I competitive only on 76%-77%. On that level on modern Ferrari very difficult to take a pole. I even cannot imagine who can drive on 100% or 110%. There is such option in career mode called Pro Career, that disables all helpers and sets difficulty to 110%. This mode is completely unplayable IMO.

Personally I'm on 100% in my McLaren career mode which saw me qualify 14th and finish 8th. Medium traction, ABS off, stability off with a wheel. 2017 I ran 87% and was challenged quite a bit with a pad.

I haven't played 2018 yet, but I had AI at 105% on 2017, and won the Monaco GP in my first season with Sauber. Switched to Ferrari mid season 2, and won 5 on the trot for them. I've since set it to max. I play on PC with all assists off and using a wheel.

Is it just me or does the clutch not have a function with stick shift classics? If I press the clutch, the revs do not go to idle (like they should), but follow the engine braking curve.

Game just crashed on me after 30 laps in China. On top of the fuel bug forcing me to lean mix and short shift for the first 20-25 laps.

Way to go, Codemasters.

Not to mention things that many people wait since F1 2010. Control car manually in pit-lane. This is critical part of any race that requires driver skills but instead we should watch ugly animation. But as far as I know, according to license Codemasters has, it is prohibited to control car by player in pit lane, so Codemasters cannot implement it.

Is that for real? The licensors won't allow it? Who comes up with stuff like that??
Not being in control of my car at all times is kind of a big thing to me. It's not a deal breaker and I'm still thinking pretty seriously about getting this one(driving F1 these days is a heck of a lot more fun than watching it) but autodrive is sooooo annoying.

Is that for real? The licensors won't allow it? Who comes up with stuff like that??
Not being in control of my car at all times is kind of a big thing to me. It's not a deal breaker and I'm still thinking pretty seriously about getting this one(driving F1 these days is a heck of a lot more fun than watching it) but autodrive is sooooo annoying.

It’s likely that they wouldn’t want you being in control while there are people around, so you can’t simulate yourself running someone over.

It’s likely that they wouldn’t want you being in control while there are people around, so you can’t simulate yourself running someone over.

I don't doubt that's the hilarious excuse somebody came up with for it if it's really not allowed. Of course, they probably shouldn't let you drive on the track either by that logic. You could simulate yourself pretty seriously injuring another driver out there. Maybe the AI drivers have to sign a waiver for risk of bodily harm and the digital pit crew don't?

Had one of the most dramatic races ive ever had, at Austria in the Williams.

I took pole with this lap :

Bottas took over the lead at the start,but on Lap2 his tyre blew up right in front of me :

And then as he was crawling around the track,he caused a massive pile up on the last corner - i narrowly avoided him but SIX cars retired as they crashed into each other!!

I eventually won the race by 2 seconds from Riccardo - as EIGHT cars retired in total. My pace was very surprising seeing as ive really struggled in this first season before now.

I haven't played 2018 yet, but I had AI at 105% on 2017, and won the Monaco GP in my first season with Sauber. Switched to Ferrari mid season 2, and won 5 on the trot for them. I've since set it to max. I play on PC with all assists off and using a wheel.
I had 2017 on 103% and currently easing myself in at 101. I use a pad and everything off except TC and ABS.

I had a heart-in-the-mouth moment in Spain on Sunday. I was in 6th place and catching Fernando Alonso, when suddenly there's a yellow on the exit of turn two. The Ferrari of Kimi Raikkonen had gone off and was stopped in a dangerous place. Alonso ploughed right into him just in front of me. I almost ran into Alonso and drove over some debris. I was essentially gifted 4th place and stayed there. This is in a Renault BTW.

I had a heart-in-the-mouth moment in Spain on Sunday. I was in 6th place and catching Fernando Alonso, when suddenly there's a yellow on the exit of turn two. The Ferrari of Kimi Raikkonen had gone off and was stopped in a dangerous place. Alonso ploughed right into him just in front of me. I almost ran into Alonso and drove over some debris. I was essentially gifted 4th place and stayed there. This is in a Renault BTW.

This is why i love this game - totally unexpected things can happen at anytime....you dont get it in other racing games,their AI is just on rails.

This is why i love this game - totally unexpected things can happen at anytime....you dont get it in other racing games,their AI is just on rails.
I completely agree.

If they would only fix the severe fuel and game crash bugs, aswell as other glitches, this game would be so much better. And it's already really good.

This game is incredible, I'm so glad I believed the hype.

I played F1 2016 for like 30 minutes and had completely written the series off as being second rate, but F1 2018 is just mind boggingly good

Am loving the career mode and am up to Austria now, not loving so much the Online Multi-player so looks like I'll head back to GTS for online racing.

Just got 8th in China (I run 100% races so it takes time) in the rain in a Sauber.

I have to say it was fun. I run very high wings at China which the AI and many players don't do due to the long back straight, where I get passed as if I am driving a mini. However I make it up through the corners, especially in the rain.

Can someone please tell me what the heck Magnussen was doing in the final sector to demolish all the other times?

This is practice 1, after patch 1.05. (Also notice the session theoretical best time!)

huriau.jpg

After the race:

lz6lt.jpg

Agree with you. I heard about it few years ago when Codemasters released first F1 game. What I definitely know is that everything, I mean really everything, video, games, images, logos, etc. that related with Formula 1 is strictly controlled by FOM (Formula One Management). Maybe they afraid that players will do "Destruction Derby" or "Carmageddon" in pit-lane and it can affect reputation of real F1. And YouTube would have a lot of corresponding funny videos. Maybe FOM decided to avoid any risks by not allowing control car manually in pit. Codemasters closely collaborates with FOM.

And of course manual pit stop is not technical limitation, considering how long Codemasters produces this title. Even official F1 Challenge 99-02 had manual pit stops.

Back