2014 engines: inline-fours out, turbo-charged V6 engines in

Well this looks okay ish
mclareny.jpg

Check this post out for a quick comparison. I think 15" will look good.

http://forums.autosport.com/index.php?s=&showtopic=126341&view=findpost&p=4311399

Bling up ze f1. ;)

Or maybe not, they look just stupid, are run flat tryes next? as people have said 15 inch makes them bigger but without making them look stupid.

Last edited:
Luca di Montezemolo has admitted he is looking for allies in his aversion to F1's new engine formula for 2013.

When the 4-cylinder turbo regulations were announced recently, the Ferrari president said the famous Italian marque was "not happy" but "will not stand in the way".

Montezemolo now tells Germany's Auto Motor und Sport: "Four cylinders is not Formula One.

"We will not be building any for our street cars," he insisted. "(And) for the top class of racing it sounds a bit pathetic," said Montezemolo.

"Why couldn't we have a V6 turbo? We should not confuse affordable with cheap."

He admitted that he will look for like-minded opponents to the new formula.

"If there is the slightest possibility to delay the four cylinder (introduction), I will look for it. We see a chance," added the Italian, revealing his goal is at least a one-season delay.

"We need unity," announced Montezemolo.

One possible ally might be rival F1 engine maker Mercedes.

"It would have been better to extend the V8 era," agreed Norbert Haug, with the German engine marque currently leading the field with F1's current engines.

"That (V8) is a low cost engine," he insisted.

However, Auto Motor und Sport said Cosworth's Mark Gallagher believes only 30 million euros would be needed to design an engine according to the new 2013 formula.

http://formula-one.speedtv.com/article/f1-ferrari-opposes-2013-engine

Well they must have agreed to it, otherwise it wouldn't be happening. This formula was thought up by the manufacturers, so quite honestly I don't really get why they are saying this now. If they didn't like it, why didn't they change the proposals?
Luca is never happy anyway.

Last edited:
Since we've been discussing the new engine regulations in the thread on the 2013 design regulations, I've merged the two together an changed the tread title to better reflect the content.

And it's Formula One, not Formula Ferrari. No matter how much Luca might want it to be.

Well they must have agreed to it, otherwise it wouldn't be happening. This formula was thought up by the manufacturers, so quite honestly I don't really get why they saying this now. If they didn't like it, why didn't they change the proposals?
I would imagine either:
-they never liked the idea and waited to see what would happen, didn't get what they wanted and are now making a fuss in the media
OR
-they heard the cries of people who think it's lame and are trying to win some fans
OR
-Ferrari wants media time

I thought the premise behind Ferrari was race first and only use road cars to fund that passion. So what does it matter what engines are used and whether they want to use them in the road cars or not, road cars come second?

I'm going to go on record saying I hate the idea of 4 cylinder engines (for now anyways). I also like that Ferrari is making a stink about it:lol:. Don't like the 18s either, like the 15s though.

Ferrari have a point this time. F1 isn't about delivering road technology, it's about being the fastest racing series. 4 cylinder engines in an F1 car is absolutely pathetic.

Ferrari have a point this time. F1 isn't about delivering road technology, it's about being the fastest racing series. 4 cylinder engines in an F1 car is absolutely pathetic.

Brabham-BMW four cylinder Turbo 1983 World Champion winning car and most powerful engine on the grid that year says hi. Don't knock it before you've seen it.

Yeah but look at the turbo restrictions. No doubt the boost cap will be the equivalent of an C180 CDI. I love that Brabham though.

Brabham-BMW four cylinder Turbo 1983 World Champion winning car and most powerful engine on the grid that year says hi. Don't knock it before you've seen it.

At the Dallas GP of 1984, I was looking over the Brabham-BMW in the paddock. Nearly got into a fistfight with some the mechanics when taking pix of it! Boost was limited that year, but a year or two earlier it was rumored to have upwards of 1500hp (X2010-level power) during qualifying. The Q-tires, exuding their hot glue for the lap allowed this unholy rush of power to be briefly delivered to the longsuffering tarmac without much wheelspin. Awesome stuff, but now gone with the wind.

During that eventful race the wicked Piquet stuffed it into the fence right in front of me, Mansell foolishly pushed his heap over the finish line in the 104F heat, and Keke took a smart and fit win.

Well they must have agreed to it, otherwise it wouldn't be happening. This formula was thought up by the manufacturers, so quite honestly I don't really get why they are saying this now. If they didn't like it, why didn't they change the proposals?

IIRC, Ferrari and Mclaren were the only teams to vote against the new engine package...maybe this is why Luca continues to do what he does best in order to get his way :lol:

I'm happy with the engine regulation change simply because we get out of the engine freeze and see some variety. As much as I dislike tailoring to the manufacturers tastes, it can only be a good thing to introduce an engine formula which will interest more manufacturers and hence inject more money into the sport.

What is Formula 1 actually about? Is it about bolting on four extra cylinders and fifty extra kilograms to make an engine sound louder? Or is it about developing an engine that is half the size, has half the number of cylinders and half the capacity of the current generation of engines, but which still produces the same power output as what we have now?

Seriously, the number of people I've seen whining about how the sound won't be any good is an absolute joke. I don't know about you, but I don't watch Formula 1 for the sound.

Four cylinder engines have actually been fairly rare in Formula 1 (and Grand Prix going back to 1906). They have been resorted to when the economy is distressed, as in the 50's. Ferrari experimented with a two cylinder engine briefly. Can you imagine what a terrible sound that would make? Hardly better than a lawn mower.👎 My favorite Formula One sound emanated from the V-12 Matra. It set the hairs tingling!

Well, ludes, I do care about the sound in F1. It wouldn't be the same if we had electric F1 cars, it would still be an experience to see and hear in person, but not the same kind of experience.
Just like diesel LMPs have their own magic to them, they aren't quite the same as the roaring V12 Aston Martins..or those great V8 Corvettes.

I think I could put up with 4 cylinders though, but I'm a little worried about that. As I said, I am open to the benefits...but I do miss the V10s and V12s and will probably miss the current V8s. I hope the 4 engines have their own charm, but I'm not optimistic.

It will be a sad day when motorsport is no longer a deafening roar to match the high speed and drama. But it will still be motorsport and we will eventually get used to it.
Doesn't stop us wanting to try and keep the parts we all love though. If you don't understand why people care about the sound, I don't understand why you don't care. Have you not been to a live race? Stood and heard the fantastic roar of an engine at full pelt? Its almost the entire reason to go to live races!
It was only last year that I finally got to hear a Ferrari engine at racing speeds at the British GT meeting at Oulton Park (even better was the Viper!). I am still looking forward to hearing the current F1 engines, even if I've sadly missed the V10 and V12 eras.

Renault have told the FIA they will quit F1 in 2013 if the new 1.6 turbo engines are not used.

I can see why they would do so. Turbo charged 1.6 4cyl engines have more relevancy to their road-car program than a N/A 2.4 V8 does.

Ferrari and Mercedes have a stronger case against the new engine regs as that kind of engine doesn't presently fit in with either companies image.

Renault should get their way, otherwise it would be 24 cars on the grid with only Ferrari, Mercedes or Cosworth engines in them.

All Ferrari need to do is build a new small carbon-fibre road car with a 1.6 turbo engine with KERS, with about 450bhp. And they have their solution, they could show how much faster it is around their track than some benchmarked older bigger engined Ferrari cars.

Last edited:
All Ferrari need to do is build a new small carbon-fibre road car with a 1.6 turbo engine with KERS, with about 450bhp. And they have their solution, they could show how much faster it is around their track than some benchmarked older bigger engined Ferrari cars.

Performance issues aside, Ferrari would have difficulty selling a small 1.6ltr engined car at Ferrari prices. They'll never market a sub £100k car, it would dilute the brand too much. Ferrari is all about the brand image.

Renault should get their way, otherwise it would be 24 cars on the grid with only Ferrari, Mercedes or Cosworth engines in them.
And PURE. Plus, there's speculation that McLaren will develop their own engine to be introduced in 2013 now that they are a car manufacturer in their own right. Not to mention the faint possibility of Lotus Cars building an engine of their own since they're already putting together a package for Indycar's ICONIC project.

@thecracker: I disagree, Ferrari can dictate what the customer wants, not the other way around. Ferrari can make a beautiful super-car with a 1.6 engine, make it super quick, and be desired by many Ferarri fans, especially if it has F1 synergy, which it would have. It would be the most F1 connected high performance Ferrari have on offer, demand for V8 or big engined super-cars would go down..

No, it wouldn't. If it was under $100,000, it would thin out Ferrari's image. If it were Over $100,000, it would be too expensive. And if the entire car was designed simply to promote a Formula 1 ruleset, it would no doubt alienate many potential buyers.

Also, Ferrari cannot make beautiful cars. They're all hideous.

@thecracker: I disagree, Ferrari can dictate what the customer wants, not the other way around. Ferrari can make a beautiful super-car with a 1.6 engine, make it super quick, and be desired by many Ferarri fans, especially if it has F1 synergy, which it would have. It would be the most F1 connected high performance Ferrari have on offer, demand for V8 or big engined super-cars would go down..

You are confusing Ferrari 'fans' with Ferrari 'customers'. They are very different types of people.

A Ferrari fan will buy any product that has a cavallino rampante on it. Yet they'll unlikely ever be able to afford their cars.

A Ferrari customer is a more discerning character who'll fork out a great deal of cash for an exclusive, low volume race-bred supercar. Small capacity engines just don't fit in with this image. Which is why the 2ltr turbo Ferrari 208's and 2ltr turbo 328's which were marketed in Italy for tax reasons were sold in tiny amounts.

We'll see. If the 2013 rules for 1.6 engines go ahead, Ferrari should have a go at making a road/track car with a similar size engine and technology.

CO2 regs will force Ferrari to produce smaller engined, lighter cars in the near future. But 1.6ltrs is just too small for now.

Also, Ferrari cannot make beautiful cars. They're all hideous.

They've bucked the trend once or twice... I kind of like the 599... though everything else in the stable after the F40 should die in fire.

A Ferrari customer is a more discerning character who'll fork out a great deal of cash for an exclusive, low volume race-bred supercar. Small capacity engines just don't fit in with this image. Which is why the 2ltr turbo Ferrari 208's and 2ltr turbo 328's which were marketed in Italy for tax reasons were sold in tiny amounts.
Rubbish. A Ferrari to the wealthy is as exclusive as a Burberry cap on a council estate. Much like the Bentley Continental GT has become the footballers car of choice.

While I think that Ferrari would suffer if they rapidly moved their cars to low-displacement DI/FI engines to match F1 possibly in 2013, if done progressively customers would care little for the difference.

I thing fundamentally it comes down to a very simple issue. Do you want F1 to be a showcase for super car manufacturers, or for hot-hatch manufacturers?

Latest Posts

Back