Fallout 4

• Thread starter Wiegert
  • 2,543 comments
^^ Man, the facial animations still looks stiff...
Disagree, not when you compare them to previous Fallout and even Elder scrolls titles. Not by a long loonnngg way

Disagree, not when you compare them to previous Fallout and even Elder scrolls titles. Not by a long loonnngg way

...Let's just say, we agree to disagree. In this gen alone, there have been a few games with smoother facial animations. I'm sure you know which ones...

...Let's just say, we agree to disagree. In this gen alone, there have been a few games with smoother facial animations. I'm sure you know which ones...
Compared to this though...

I would put it on a par with The Witcher. Not perfect. But good enough by a long way

Compared to this though...

...:odd: Compared to last gen, yeah it is marginally better, but shouldn't the benchmark be set against games from this gen?

As far as comparison against Witcher goes, I thought the open-world fantasy RPG acquitted itself pretty well on the graphics front.

All the NPC in FO4 are procedurally done with the character generator the player will also use for their own character and most of the facial animations as well. Unlike other similar games that have scanned in character models from real people and motion capped animations facial expressions, so they are basically "frozen" performances. Especially in MGSV, ie Quiet

So that's the big difference here.

Witcher 3 is overrated, graphically, I don't see what people see in it. I was let down here.... especially compared to what they showed a year ago in trailers.... the colours and overall look changed quite a bit...

from this article, from Quakecon. Also it looks like that snippet of her is the same footage from Quakecon :)

http://www.gameinformer.com/games/f...15/07/24/fallout-4-quakecon-presentation.aspx

"In the in-game one, we're not scanning the actor," Howard adds. "The character faces and their bodies are procedurally done, and then we take those movements and map them onto any character. We build an archetype, a suite of animations because we have so much dialogue we can't capture all of it this way. The game uses a mix of stuff actors recorded and procedural facial animations, and a suite of prerecorded body animations that can go with various lines that you are saying. All of that comes together to create pretty much any scene we want to put together in the game."

The next companion we are introduced to is named Piper, a sharply dressed female character in a red jacket and grey cap, who resides in Diamond City. This locale is built in the ruins of Fenway Park, the home of the Boston Red Sox. This little detail brought a cheer from the crowd, which confuses Howard. "Does that mean you like the Red Sox, or do you want [Fenway] to be blown up?"

We see gameplay of the player character walking into Diamond City, a pack mule of some variety stands to the left, lugging far too much stuff. Piper is ahead, next to what appears to be the outside of Fenway Park, or what's left of it. She tells the player character to play along in an attempt to get the gates of the city open. "Wha...what's that?" she says in a half-serious tone. "You said you're a trader from Quincy with enough supplies to keep the general well off for a month? You hear that, Danny? You going to open the gate to let us in or you going to tell crazy Verna about losing out on all of this supplies?"

Danny opens the gates, then Piper and the player character wearily enter Diamond City. They are confronted by an elderly man who is clearly irritated by the sight of Piper in the city. "You devious, rabble rousing slanderer," he says. Piper cuts him off and starts asking the player character if he supports the news. We learn that she runs her own newspaper called Public Occurrences. Piper's verbal feud with the man reveals she has a little sister.

The last line we hear from Piper talks to a new aspect of Fallout 4: romance. "Look, I have to get settled in, but, um, stop by my office later. I have an idea for an article that you would be perfect for." Her tone, which implies interest in the player character, drew a hoot and clapping from the crowd.​

Last edited:
^^ Stephanie Joosten, the actress "playing" Quiet - I see in the vid she's considerably less exposed than her in-game character....:lol:

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/fallout-4-xbox-one-controller-more-coming-during-f/1100-6431527/

2952718-etc-controller-fo-vaultboy-angle.jpg

Would this game appeal to someone who doesn't usually play these types of games? I keep hearing about the hype but when I try to research it I don't seem to find much. Just some cool customisation and a good story?

Would this game appeal to someone who doesn't usually play these types of games?
Very much yes. I don't play much outside of the racing genre, and I very rarely play a shooter game, but Fallout 3 impressed me massively. Probably my favourite game behind The Last Of Us.

Would this game appeal to someone who doesn't usually play these types of games? I keep hearing about the hype but when I try to research it I don't seem to find much. Just some cool customisation and a good story?

...Unlikely. Fallout series of games aren't the most newbie-friendly around unfortunately. Investing a lot of time into it is a must. Or you can always google for an easy time.

As far as story lines go, ehhh, don't expect an Oscar material. But the humor's pretty good.

These games are about exploration, with combat and customization thrown in, the way I see it.

@TiZzla The game will be newbie friendly I think, and I think they will set the game up as such. So long as you grasp the premise that its post apocolyptic America after they went to war with China. The game is set in a couple of hundred years here or there in a world stuck in the 50's.

The finer details of the story can be found throughout the game. For example each vault you will go into will have its own story to find out. Some of them can be light hearted, where as some can be very, very dark. It will require a lot of time to be put into it but it is very, very rewarding.

I think so, yes! Although the game mechanics are fairly cluncky and almost outdated (although Fallout 4 can be entirely different), it's generally a very enjoyable game, where you'll easily sink in hours without getting bored, if you don't mide running a fair distance to trigger certain events and missions/quests, because everything tells a story about how the people lived before the Great War, how the war happened and which repercussions it had on the area and it's people.

So, if you're looking for an action-packed game, this probably isn't for you. But if you're willing to spend a little time traveling and really taking everything in in the Wasteland, you'll be rewareded greatly as Fallout really lives off of it's atmosphere and the story-telling.

If you're unsure about whether or not you're going to enjoy it, maybe buy yourself a Steam Key for Fallout 3, which literally are dirt cheap now, and just play it for a little bit, and maybe you find it enjoyable.
There are also some very neat little stories about each of the Vaults within the Fallout universe, in both the games and comics, and you'll see that Bathesda sure knows, what they're doing and why so many people enjoy Fallout so very much. 👍

...Unlikely. Fallout series of games aren't the most newbie-friendly around unfortunately. Investing a lot of time into it is a must. Or you can always google for an easy time.

As far as story lines go, ehhh, don't expect an Oscar material. But the humor's pretty good.

These games are about exploration, with combat and customization thrown in, the way I see it.
I would recommend renting F4. Fallout games generally have a MASSIVE learning curve. Plus Fallout games are notorious for major day 1 bugs and game ending problems. The game is also focused around 100% communication with everyone you meet. You will be reading a LOT of dialog. Even more dialog than the Skyrim or Mass Effect series.

The feature that attracted me the most was the VATS system. Each shot is a slow motion, extremely gory, kill if you activate this. I loved it and this feature instantly addicted me to F3. Without VATS the combat system has always been quite clunky in Fallout. With vats it is an absolute blast!

So if you like the gore in this video, you might like Fallout 4. Just keep in mind, you will be reading an insane amount of dialog with every person you meet. It is VERY story driven. Again, I would recommend renting first.

I am looking forward to F4 but as I have said in this thread before, I wont buy it at launch after all the problems F3 and FNV had. I will wait about a week and pick it up if it is confirmed to be fairly bug free without too many issues.

Last edited:
I like games where exploration is its own reward - where you can set a marker on the far horizon and just walk walk toward it and enjoy the trip. I've seen it in everything from Final Fantasy XII through to Far Cry 4, and I would like to see if it holds true for Fallout 4 (though I have never played a Fallout game before). But my only real concern in that regard is that the wouls will get repetitive very quickly given the setting.

I like games where exploration is its own reward - where you can set a marker on the far horizon and just walk walk toward it and enjoy the trip. I've seen it in everything from Final Fantasy XII through to Far Cry 4, and I would like to see if it holds true for Fallout 4 (though I have never played a Fallout game before). But my only real concern in that regard is that the wouls will get repetitive very quickly given the setting.

...My initial fear going into Fallout 3 was similar to yours - all that brown/depressing green might get too-samey real quick.

To its credit, there were quite a few surprises along the way - the terrain changed, enemies changed, random "quest" popped up, and at one point, I ran across a downed UFO, not to mention other one-of-a-kind random sightings.

Judging by the last Elder Scrolls game, I've no doubt this game will suck away 200+ (hopefully bug free) hours of my life, with its ability to constantly surprise and amaze me.

Playing Bethesda games puts me in a love-hate-relationship (although "hate" is a bit strong). I'm grateful for the fantastic games they have made, but I don't very much appreciate the way they leave most bug fixing in the hands of the die-hard fans. Look at Skyrim for instance; thousands of bugs fixed by the unofficial patches.

I will do exactly as @CAMAROBOY69; wait for bug fixes. And you can be pretty sure there will be a day 1 patch.

Still, despite all that, it's mostly love. ;)

Playing Bethesda games puts me in a love-hate-relationship (although "hate" is a bit strong). I'm grateful for the fantastic games they have made, but I don't very much appreciate the way they leave most bug fixing in the hands of the die-hard fans. Look at Skyrim for instance; thousands of bugs fixed by the unofficial patches.

I will do exactly as @CAMAROBOY69; wait for bug fixes. And you can be pretty sure there will be a day 1 patch.

Still, despite all that, it's mostly love. ;)
I have made up my mind for sure. The week this comes out is the week I have off work PAID for a lan party. I plan to rent Fallout 4 on the 11th. If the rental is good with minimal bugs then I will purchase F4 after the rental expires. I did the same thing for Skyrim. Rented it first, was very happy, then bought after the rental expired. I wont ever buy a Bethesda game at launch. It will always be a rental first. Plus the rental is only about $3.50 so no loss either way.

The scary part is that is the 11th is 1 day before the NXOE is released worldwide. So hopefully that goes well. Really looking forward to F4.

My initial fear going into Fallout 3 was similar to yours - all that brown/depressing green might get too-samey real quick.

To its credit, there were quite a few surprises along the way - the terrain changed, enemies changed, random "quest" popped up, and at one point, I ran across a downed UFO, not to mention other one-of-a-kind random sightings.
I just hate it when developers make these massive worlds and then don't fill them with anything. Los Santos in GTA V was a prime example of this - about 30% of the map served absolutely no purpose.

Worth a watch if you want to know about the universe. Spoilers included of course of previous games

Impressions from someone - not spoiler'ish more general stuff - PS4 version

highlight to read

English recap: The game, even tough not so revolutionary, it doesn't look like in the captures but better, it's not really a bad game. Joined together the game world looks better than great, and the illumination is one of the best I've seen. It is true that it suffered some framedrops but, there is also much more on screen.

- DIFFICULTY: Very easy, easy, normal, hard, very hard, SURVIVAL. They change damage, resistance of enemies and appearing rate of legendary enemies. Legendary enemies are harder and they have a chance of dropping a legendary item with unique characteristics like better critic chance or that refills AP when doing a critic.

- HUD color will be customizable by RGB sliders.

- Minigames for unlocking doors and terminals are exactly the same as in Fallout 3.

- About the size of the map, is hard to tell a size because it's quite small on the
pip-boy but it doesn't seem small at all, there is a lot to find on it. Probably Skyrim's size more or less?

-COMBAT, WAY better. It is no COD but the FPS sensations are amazing, you notice every impact, the weapons recess, different characteristics between them etc makes it wonderful. There was a lot of place from Fallout 3 to improve so I was doubtful about what would they do, but you all can be calm about it. Also, enemy AI, without being super evolved or anything, it's way better. Enemies hide, get cover a lot, they go for you when you have little health or you're reloading (He's playing in hard mode). He says VATS it's completely not essential.

-Animations are flawless. People's faces, even tough there are some similar (particularly raiders) there are a lot, and way different ones from each other.

-He didn't like at all the dialogue system, and in 23 hours he's played almost no mission he was able to get out of just by dialogue. Although there was some "X person approved" like in Dragon Age/Mass Effect, there is no visible karma system, and that takes a lot of attractive to the diplomatic side of the game. He checked statics and he didn't see either nothing about reputations like in NV. He thinks it will probably work like in Skyrim and Oblivion.

-SETTLEMENTS: A very important pillar on the game. Some will love it, some will hate it. He thinks that, even tough he likes this kind of "microgestion"aspects from RPGS he thinks Fallout's it's a little bit harder and deep than he likes. They give sooo many options about it, and missions, and objectives that he think they take out weight from the rest of the game. ABOUT HOW THEY WORK: There are a ton lot of red workshop tables all over the world, some free and other ones occupied. Once you get to them (if the people occupying it are good people you'll have to do the typical mission to help them etc) you can do all that was seen on the demo, destroy everything, and build. You'll have to maintain the little, or bunch of humans on it with food, water, energy and beds. When they're attacked you'll receive a message and have the option to go help. It is very complete and you can invest a lot of hours making it really cute, have there your base with all your people etc, but he thinks it might be a little bit overexploited.

-WEAPONS: More about them, he has only seen like 12-15 base weapons yet, but he says that the weapons mods is crazy. Every weapon can easily have 25-30 different pieces that alter sadistics.

-LOADING TIMES: There are a lot of little houses that doesn't need a loading screen, but big buildings normally do. Loadings between buildings are normally really short, being fast travel loading longer.
-POWER ARMORS: Used almost like a vehicle. You get inside, you use it, you get out of it and it stays on that place. It gives them a more OP feel, but it is also way less "comfortable" to use.

-NARRATIVE: He says it starts a little bit weak, and it takes a little to get it up and running. In his almost a day of playing has only completed 4 because they're pretty long and full of things to do. Even tough, he thinks the way the story is going can be very interesting.

Impressions from someone - not spoiler'ish more general stuff - PS4 version

highlight to read

English recap: The game, even tough not so revolutionary, it doesn't look like in the captures but better, it's not really a bad game. Joined together the game world looks better than great, and the illumination is one of the best I've seen. It is true that it suffered some framedrops but, there is also much more on screen.

- DIFFICULTY: Very easy, easy, normal, hard, very hard, SURVIVAL. They change damage, resistance of enemies and appearing rate of legendary enemies. Legendary enemies are harder and they have a chance of dropping a legendary item with unique characteristics like better critic chance or that refills AP when doing a critic.

- Minigames for unlocking doors and terminals are exactly the same as in Fallout 3.

- About the size of the map, is hard to tell a size because it's quite small on the
pip-boy but it doesn't seem small at all, there is a lot to find on it. Probably Skyrim's size more or less?

-COMBAT, WAY better. It is no COD but the FPS sensations are amazing, you notice every impact, the weapons recess, different characteristics between them etc makes it wonderful. There was a lot of place from Fallout 3 to improve so I was doubtful about what would they do, but you all can be calm about it. Also, enemy AI, without being super evolved or anything, it's way better. Enemies hide, get cover a lot, they go for you when you have little health or you're reloading (He's playing in hard mode). He says VATS it's completely not essential.

-Animations are flawless. People's faces, even tough there are some similar (particularly raiders) there are a lot, and way different ones from each other.

-He didn't like at all the dialogue system, and in 23 hours he's played almost no mission he was able to get out of just by dialogue. Although there was some "X person approved" like in Dragon Age/Mass Effect, there is no visible karma system, and that takes a lot of attractive to the diplomatic side of the game. He checked statics and he didn't see either nothing about reputations like in NV. He thinks it will probably work like in Skyrim and Oblivion.

-SETTLEMENTS: A very important pillar on the game. Some will love it, some will hate it. He thinks that, even tough he likes this kind of "microgestion"aspects from RPGS he thinks Fallout's it's a little bit harder and deep than he likes. They give sooo many options about it, and missions, and objectives that he think they take out weight from the rest of the game. ABOUT HOW THEY WORK: There are a ton lot of red workshop tables all over the world, some free and other ones occupied. Once you get to them (if the people occupying it are good people you'll have to do the typical mission to help them etc) you can do all that was seen on the demo, destroy everything, and build. You'll have to maintain the little, or bunch of humans on it with food, water, energy and beds. When they're attacked you'll receive a message and have the option to go help. It is very complete and you can invest a lot of hours making it really cute, have there your base with all your people etc, but he thinks it might be a little bit overexploited.

-WEAPONS: More about them, he has only seen like 12-15 base weapons yet, but he says that the weapons mods is crazy. Every weapon can easily have 25-30 different pieces that alter sadistics.

-LOADING TIMES: There are a lot of little houses that doesn't need a loading screen, but big buildings normally do. Loadings between buildings are normally really short, being fast travel loading longer.
-POWER ARMORS: Used almost like a vehicle. You get inside, you use it, you get out of it and it stays on that place. It gives them a more OP feel, but it is also way less "comfortable" to use.

-NARRATIVE: He says it starts a little bit weak, and it takes a little to get it up and running. In his almost a day of playing has only completed 4 because they're pretty long and full of things to do. Even tough, he thinks the way the story is going can be very interesting.
...I can hardly read what's on that "spoiler", can't you change the background color of the text box or something?

...I can hardly read what's on that "spoiler", can't you change the background color of the text box or something?
Same text without highlight needed.

Back