Fallout 4

• Thread starter Wiegert
  • 2,543 comments
As far as I understand it, perks and skills would be tied to your equipment, which is a vast improvement over the "JRPG-style" of gaining skills seen in Fallout 3 and NV. As far as I recall, there was only one RPG that actually tried that approach, and that was Final Fantasy X. (If you expected me to say VII, sorry, but in that game, you could actually build up your skills to the point where you could compartmentalize them into Master materia. Am I saying that the same couldn't happen in Fallout 4? No, but with the current information that we have, skills and perks being tied to your actual equipment, as well as the fact that you have a location that you could store your excess items, it is more likely that the customize options includes parts that adds stats to a weapon or armor.)

...I was afraid of that. That's gonna bring out lots of problems the way I see it - weapon/armor breaks or wears off, then what? All your skills and perks gone, since you can't equip them any longer? Sigh.
Maybe I'm paranoid - maybe Bethesda has come up with a natty solution. Who knows.

As for FFX, that's a discussion for another day...;)

...So then, truth emerges it seems. You don't automatically receive Fallout 3 when you buy FO4, but only if you pre-order it on Bethesda's own shop, for Xbone only. Pre-order it, and 7 to 10 days later you get an email with a download code. Oh and another kicker is, the copy of FO3 is for... Xbox 360. Ba dum tss.

Really? Seriously?? :irked:

Fallout 3 might not be playable by the time F4 comes out. Not a big deal just thought I would give everyone a heads up.

http://www.destructoid.com/ubisoft-...ox-one-s-backwards-compatibility-295684.phtml

For instance, just last week, Bethesda informed us that it doesn't know when Fallout 3 will be made backwards compatible for Xbox One. There's a chance it won't be ready by the time Fallout 4 releases. Still, once that initial hurdle's cleared and the general public has access to the feature, companies will likely revere the opportunity to keep their older titles in front of an audience because it will translate to cash both directly and indirectly.

New Yong video : (Warning: may contain spoilers)

1. Game will start in 2075, two years before the big nuclear war.
2. Protagonist, whether it be the man or the woman, will be the sole survivor of Vault 111, having spent 200 years on ice.
3. The male voice actor will be Brian T Delaney and the female voice actor will be Courtenay Taylor.
4. To prevent some form of locked story, the protagonist voice actors spent over two years recording over 13,000 lines to give the game its fluidity that it is known for.
5. Gender matters! You may encounter a dialog choice that may better serve you if you are the female protagonist than if you are a male and vice versa.
6. VATS is returning, however instead of freezing time as in previous games, it slows down time. This can help or hurt you as that added moments in time may make you miss a critical shot, or it could help you in giving you time to shoot that feral ghoul that is hiding around that corner into revealing himself for big damage.

The MBTA subway system will probably play a major role in travel in the game. Since the game starts in outer Boston, you would take the Green Line Trolley (or at least walk along the rails) to enter the city. That or you could walk along the Mass Pike I guess.

Stuff in bold are confirmed locations or mentioned in official concept art.

The Green Line will take you to places like Fenway Park and the Boston common. The Mass. State House is north of the Common and the Old North Church with The Paul Revere Statue is north of Haymarket Station.

Switching from the Green Line to the Blue Line at Government Center Station will take you to State Station, From here you can find places such as The Old State House and Faneuil Hall. Keep going and you will get to Aquarium Station where you can find the Waterfront with locations such as the Aquarium and the Wharf. If you continue on the Blue Line you will cross under the water and get into Jeffries Point with Logan Airport nearby. Although it would be easier to get to Logon with the Silver Line.

If you get on the Orange Line, you will go north into Charlestown where you can find the Bunker Hill Monument to the east, if you walk South from there you will find The Charlestown Navy Yard where the USS Constitution is supposed to be (although since it can fly now for some reason, the ship might be somewhere else.)

The Red Line going North will take you to the Hospital and further on the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, while going south will take you to the J.F.K. Library and Quincy.

This is just a basic overview of some of the locations that can be accessed with the subway system.
http://www.mbta.com/schedules_and_maps/subway/
subway-spider.jpg

Last edited:
@EvanJamesLee While I do think that the subway will play a part in the game, in previous incarnations of the game, we have seen subways used as gang hideouts (one particular incident comes to mind when a boy flees a city on a bridge to join a gang of vampires that are stuck in the nearby subway station, under the impression that he was the last of his family. (He wasn't. The only reason why you were in the town to begin with was to deliver a letter for a lady in Megaton.) To convince the leader to even allow you to talk to the boy, you had to convince the town sheriff to give them the extra packs of blood that the town had so that they don't have to emerge and hunt nearby animals for blood.)

The boy was responsible for the death of the boy's family.

Here are some subway pictures I took while in Boston.

kjJpiwUI6jgaYpLLoBoM9kW6Vs9GIASHS5tEPW4IS0w=w155-h207-p-no
t36ERsjo1ubS8ugjn5kW4IiRijbvq03_gZFZKQf7nPk=w155-h207-p-no
N9gGpeDg5c0KnPnVL-7ZCU3Inf56qquTpgda9wHVgDs=w155-h207-p-no

I tried to make them feel Falloutish by taking the pictures while nobody was around but there are actually hundreds of people behind me and to the sides.

Any way the first one is the Green Line at Haymarket Station. In game, you would go to this station if you wanted to get to The Paul Revere Statue at Old North Church.

The other two are in the Orange Line at State Station, you would go here if you wanted to get to The Old State House.

@Sanji Himura Some subway quest speculation...

A gang of angry Ghoulified Red Sox fans at Fenway Station are still mad that the bombs fell at the bottom of the 9th and screwed up the closer's pitch causing us to lose the game. They remain here causing the Green Line Trolleys to be unable to proceed into Boston. You need to find a way to calm them in order to fix the Green Line system and gain access to Boston.

The Institute has taken over the entire Red Line system and you have to find a way to get through it in order to get to M.I.T. Possible options could be sneaking through it with the help of the Railroad, or just shooting your way through with some hacked Charlie Card Robots.

Last edited:
....:lol: Yep I can just imagine 'em. They better carry baseball bats. To quell their centuries-long anger, a hunt for a signed baseball by...hmm, Babe Ruth maybe? Not enough? :D

<-------------

Don't be surprised if you see one carrying a green backpack wearing blue jeans, a red sweater and sporting a paper bag over his head.

<-------------

Don't be surprised if you see one carrying a green backpack wearing blue jeans, a red sweater and sporting a paper bag over his head.

Right. 👍 Any tips on how to survive an encounter with a guy carrying a green backpack wearing blue jeans, a red sweater and sporting a paper bag over his head? Y'know, just in case I run into one...:D

Right. 👍 Any tips on how to survive an encounter with a guy carrying a green backpack wearing blue jeans, a red sweater and sporting a paper bag over his head? Y'know, just in case I run into one...:D

There are many ways in which one can be victorious in an encounter with a guy carrying a green backpack wearing blue jeans, a red sweater and sporting a paper bag over his head.

Common methods include insulting the creatures backpack which it has used since the 7th grade and whose strap is held together by duct tape. Although its strength will be raised by 1 out of defense for its beloved childhood backpack, its intelligence will be lowered by 3 as it starts to attack you with nonsensical justification for keeping the pack. From here all one must do is pass a speech check of 2 charisma to which the creature will wander off, mildly disappointed.

Here is an unlisted video from the Bethesda youtube channel
-----------------------------------------
The video is now publically available
-----------------------------------------

at 1:16 you can see a bit of new gameplay in what I think is Fenway Park.

at 3:40 new location, The Glowing Sea

Last edited:
Here is the Quakecon presentation, sadly they only recorded audio.

-----------------------------------------------------
The video was taken down

Last edited:
...I know this is unrelated to Fallout 4, but this is in itself huge news. A new mod for FO:NV called The Frontier is coming rather soon, and boy, do I wish my PC's capable running it...:boggled:

http://www.falloutthefrontier.com/

Apparently it's set in Portland, and the whole map is covered in snow. Looks like all those NCR soldiers' wishes are coming true!!

13jpg-59755d_765w.jpg

tf1jpg-7f29fd_765w.jpg

tf4jpg-7f29fe_765w.jpg

...Yes, that's a tank. A freakin' tank. :eek:

Here is a link to some leaked gamescom footage. Its lousy quality but still cool.

This will probably be taken down soon so watch is fast, maybe download it too.

https://vid.me/PPhC

It shows some combat with ghouls and the town of Lexington. It also shows that there is still loading when entering/exiting buildings although it is very fast, comparable to the separating walls in Vegas in Fallout New Vegas. Hacking and lockpicking are shown to be mostly the same as well.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Here is a better quality video of it, again it will probably be taken down soon.

Last edited:
Just preordered this game, haven't played any Bethesda games, and GoldGlove's Let's Play of Fallout 3 has piqued my interested in the series :lol:

Just preordered this game, haven't played any Bethesda games, and GoldGlove's Let's Play of Fallout 3 has piqued my interested in the series :lol:

Then before Fallout 4, I'd work through Oblivion, Skyrim, Fallout 3 and Fallout New Vegas. In that order. You will appreciate Fallout 4 even more after this wonderful journey!

They are all magnificent.

Back