Fallout 4

• Thread starter Wiegert
  • 2,543 comments
Strange. It's definitely not a space issue on the HDD considering you got Driveclub updated, which is something I'm not able to do because the system can't check the entire game install, since that's how Driveclub's updating works.

It might be worth deleting the update for Fallout from the download list, and then going to the game icon on the main menu, press the options button and select the "Check for updates" option. It's possible the download got corrupted somehow and needs to be restarted completely new. Failing that, I'm not sure what else to suggest.

Yeah that's always the last resort, but I'm out of options so I'll do that (gonna wait 'till next month, as I only get 100gb per month usage and I've been downloading a fair bit this month).

Edit: Wow just had a weird thing happen with my HDD capacity in settings -> system storage management. I went there to see how much space my games were using, which was over 500 gig (I installed a 2tb HDD about 5 months ago). I freaked when I saw the capacity of the hdd, next to the bar at the top of the screen, which said 850gb! What was worse, was it was counting down. 849.9, 849.8 849.7 etc. etc. I actually thought the drive had some massive issue and was about to fail. I watched it get to 780gb, by which time I had deleted the (likely corrupted) Falout 4 install, but it kept counting down so I turned the PS4 off and back on, and thankfully it's back to 1.77tb where it should be. Whew! :scared:

Anyone else had a similar thing happen? I don't know if it was corrupt data on the drive or what, but it's fine now, and all I did was deleted Fallout and reset the console.

Last edited:
I got a little playing time in last Thursday and hopefully some more tonight.

I re-visited West Everett Estates because it was the closest place I had accessed to Medford Hospital. Although the location said cleared on my map, it was full of Super Mutants. After re-clearing the Estates, Nick and I headed North up the road towards the hospital. We detected a distress signal on the way but after seeing the signal strength was increasing in a different direction, we ignored it for now to continue up the road. We soon came up to the Slocum's Joe corporate head quarters where we found the company's secret recipe after killing some Raiders.

After clearing the building, we stumbled on Malden Center which had been on my map for a while but I don't remember why. I spent the rest of my playing time clearing this area of the inhabitant Raiders and the Synths who seemed to be in the process of clearing the place out as well. I had to stop at this point but my first objective will be Medford Hospital once I get some more free time to play again. [\spoiler]

Stupid question: what are the folders, burnt comics and burnt magazines for? I know you can return books to the library for rewards, so I imagine that there is a similar arrangement here ... but what is it?

Stupid question: what are the folders, burnt comics and burnt magazines for? I know you can return books to the library for rewards, so I imagine that there is a similar arrangement here ... but what is it?
I haven't found any use for them. I figured they are like the burnt textbooks; a damaged version of something that could have been useful.

I got in 2 hours last night and met at least one of my objectives. The only problem is that I opened 5 or 6 more...

I started by taking the trip from Sanctuary to Medford Hospital on foot. I knew I hadn't been walking around Sanctuary for a while so I might run into a few things. The first place I stopped was Thicket Excavations because I never got around to fixing Sully's pump. I have the perk where I take no rads when swimming and can breathe under water (aqua boy I think) so that was easy. From there, Nick and I headed further east towards the Malden area only really encountering a few re-spawned ferals at the railroad junction near the drive-in and lots of Radstags. Eventually we found the Wildwood Cemetery which had a lot of ceramic in vase form but there was only 1 Raider there. After climbing the hills past the cemetery, we found a trailer with a sentry bot parked in front. This was my first time having to fight one and it took 4 or 5 tries. Those things are tough. I resorted to laying down frag, cryo, pulse and plasma mines with a bottlecap mine next to a car as my fallback. I finally was able to lure him to the car but poor Nick was caught in the ensuing blast.

Just over another hill from the trailer was the hospital but the nearby lake or damn was infested with bloodbugs. I died once here while being swarmed by 6 of them. We made it into the hospital after that and were able to clear it of all the super mutants and find the tech Haylen wanted. We fast traveled back to the Cambridge PD where I put on my Vault-Tec lab coat to get the most out of the XP from Rhys and Haylen. Just completing a mission for each of them took me from barely above level 27 to 3/4 of the way to level 28.

From there, Nick and I left for Goodneighbor and I was determined to finally have Kellogg's brain-piece examined. We met Hancock upon entering and then Daisy and KLEO. After selling what we didn't need, we found Dr. Amari and starting to re-live Kellogg's memories. A trip to the Glowing Sea is inevitable. Just before leaving Goodneighbor we stopped inside the Third Rail. We met Magnolia (who I went on my first "date" with) and then MacCready. I also ran into the Vault-Tec Rep in the hotel after my date so I sent him to Sanctuary.

Just before dismissing Nick, he gave me the Eddie Winter quest and two holotapes. I already had a couple from the Malden Police Station and somewhere else, maybe Cambridge PD. At that point I was full of supplies so MacCready and I fast traveled back to Sanctuary. I put the Vault-Tec Rep to work at the Drive-in with Nick and I had hit level 28 wooing Magnolia which I put into Armorer 1.

It was a pretty successful session but I've opened more than I closed. I received new side quests from Rhys (National Guard) and Haylen (Blood Clinic), I opened the Eddie Winter quest, I have to find Virgil in the Glowing Sea, and I still have not visited Finch Farm for Preston. In fact, we ran into Preston at Sanctuary and he asked me to clear Taffington Boathouse and somewhere else that I forget now. Needless to say, I still have a lot to do and I'm loving it.

@88GTA - The Glowing Sea is terrifying. Especially in hazmat gear.

And a tip for you if you're doing the Eddie Winter quest:
Take Nick with you when you get the last holotape. You'll go straight to the final objective from there. You can pick the holotapes up in any order, but make sure you get the South Boston or Quincy tape last. Nick will lead you to the final objective, but technically he isn't your companion. He will follow the most direct route, but his definition of "most direct route" is one free from obstructions. I got the last tape from the East Boston precinct, so Nick led me on the most ridiculously circuitous route, all the way around Cambridge and down to Jamaica Plain (at which point he got distracted by a hive of super mutants and a pair of deathclaws).

If you get the South Boston or Quincy tapes last, you'll save yourself a hell of a lot of frustration because they're closest to the final objective.

Thanks. I have the hazmat suit already, from the Polymer Labs I think, so I figured that plus power armor plus the usual chems would be my approach. I think that is pretty far down my list though as I want to reach the most east-ward objective (I think that's currently Salem on my map) before heading further south. I've read about MacCready's perk so once I gain that I will switch back to Nick. In the meantime, I'll be on the lookout for any holotapes at the police stations but thanks for the tip.

Come to think of it, I don't think I've maxed my relationship with anyone yet. I probably got the furthest with Nick; he's old and sentimental but getting the Eddie Winter quest proved that I am almost at max affinity. Do you need to complete that quest in order to get Nick's perk? Preston's affinity level is hard to gauge because he's like a puppy; even if he's mad at you he will be tugging at your leg. I haven't gotten his perk so I guess there's still room there.

My settlements tend to be very utilitarian. I'm going for the "Benevolent Leader" achievement on my current play-through, so I might need to reassess that later on, but it's going to be a long time coming because I'm only five hours in.

If I'm having a problem in the game should I post it here or in the smaller Tips & Tricks thread? Will use spoiler tags of course, but have avoided reading both threads precisely because I want to avoid spoilers.

If I'm having a problem in the game should I post it here or in the smaller Tips & Tricks thread? Will use spoiler tags of course, but have avoided reading both threads precisely because I want to avoid spoilers.

This thread is fine. I believe the other thread dropped spoilers but because I'm also in the process of completing the game, I was afraid to check.

Nothing wrong with using this thread.

Not sure why a second thread was created anyway.

A couple of Automatron spoilers...

It seems pretty good. The robots you build are available as companions and replace any human/other companion. As soon as the DLC is available to the game you're given the first mission of the quest.

The Robot Workbench:

BotBench.jpg

Quick view of Robot build menu:

BotMenu.jpg

Question: how do you change the colours of your menus? I have the yellow-on-green, but I quite like the colour scheme you have.

Settings > Display > HUD R/G/B. You can also change the Pip Boy screen colour, this affects the colour of the light it casts (unless you use a Mining Helmet). I use a pale yellow for that, you can see a lot more with the light on imo.

Settings > Display > HUD R/G/B. You can also change the Pip Boy screen colour, this affects the colour of the light it casts (unless you use a Mining Helmet). I use a pale yellow for that, you can see a lot more with the light on imo.
Thanks for that. I recently switched to first-person for exploration (I stay in third-persom for combat), and I have found the Pip-Boy light to be overwhelming in tight confines.

Also, how big is the Automatron update? And how much does it cost?

Think I'm going to wait to play Automatron until the Survival Mode beta comes out.

Thanks for that. I recently switched to first-person for exploration (I stay in third-persom for combat), and I have found the Pip-Boy light to be overwhelming in tight confines.

Also, how big is the Automatron update? And how much does it cost?

I'm unsure on price, it's getting so much playtime in our house that it was worth buying the Season Pass.

Automatron download size: 1.5Gb.

FYI Far Harbour will be May, I think, April's DLC is Wasteland Workshop.
Wasteland Workshop is the one that I am least interested in. I'll definitely get Far Harbour, though. I'm still undecided about Automaton, mostly because I like adventuring alone and a robot companion doesn't interest me unless it brings perks and/or extra missions.

Wasteland Workshop is the one that I am least interested in. I'll definitely get Far Harbour, though. I'm still undecided about Automaton, mostly because I like adventuring alone and a robot companion doesn't interest me unless it brings perks and/or extra missions.

I've only dipped into it but there are new achievements and a mission (or set of missions) associated with overthrowing The Mechanist. I guess there'll be companion perks as with all the other companions but I haven't seen that confirmed.

The 13-year-old is very excited about WW as he'll be able, he tells me, to trap Deathclaws to pit against other enemies in an arena. He seems to want to do this more than anything else right now.

Automatron is alright. Finished it all in around 2 hours. The ability to make robot companions is alright, finding parts can be a pain, but it's to be expected.

But a bit of a spoiler;
The final battle, of sorts, is pretty intense on a high difficulty. The constant waves of various types of mismatched robots was a welcome challenge. However, at least in my playthough, it was a bit of an anti climax towards the end where it was all resolved peacefully and without very little consequences. Now it seems like the rest of the missons will be a bit like the Minuteman missions where they are repeated quests where you have to find and destroy remaining robots.

Yeah took me about 90 minutes.

The Mechanist outfit is seriously good with Ballistic Weave. Looks rad too.
Screenshot-Original-27.png

Last edited:
Back