Fallout 4

• Thread starter Wiegert
  • 2,543 comments
The Minutemen feels like the most fitting faction for my current character but it feels completing the story whilst being on their side is taking forever, Or maybe I'm doing something wrong
The story comes to a bit of a halt after "Old Guns". You might need to go off and work with other factions for a bit.

The Minutemen feels like the most fitting faction for my current character but it feels completing the story whilst being on their side is taking forever, Or maybe I'm doing something wrong

Once you get complete "Old Guns" you need to get inside the Institute for the Minutemen to cont

Does anybody know where I can get all of the legendary power armour pieces? So far, I have Tessa's Fist and the Piezonucleic chestpiece, but I can't find the left arm, helmet or legs.

Right now I've been helping some settlements for the past few hours
That won't advance the Minutemen plot. Aiding settlements is only really good for improving your relationship with companions, since everyone likes it depending on which responses you give to the settlers.
I finished Old Guns, Got to the institute, And the othe faction offered me to join
What other faction? There are four.

I have only done the ArcJet quest with Danse to this point and told him I needed to think about his proposal to join the BOS (although my Pip-Boy says I declined his request under the quest checklist). I haven't even been back to the Cambridge Police station yet but after clearing Fort Hagen and killing Kellogg, the BOS air force flew in and I received another mission to return there. I'm guessing this BOS activity has something to do with that but it was fun having some gun fights with them luring out targets for me.
It's worth joining the Brotherhood of Steel for now. Paladin Danse will become available as a companion shortly after you visit their flagship, the Prydwen, and if you want to get his perk, you need to play through a fairly substantial part of their story.

Does anybody know where I can get all of the legendary power armour pieces? So far, I have Tessa's Fist and the Piezonucleic chestpiece, but I can't find the left arm, helmet or legs.
You could have quite a discussion between what's legendary and Unique pieces.
Anyway, I know of some 'Freefall Legs' at the top of Mass Fusion, have not got them myself.
While working with the BoS I got the 'Visionary's' helm and a Left leg called 'Honor' and right leg called 'vengence'.
Have not come across a left arm.
Also I have not met any Legendary enemy in Power Armour, whether Raider or BoS which could possibly drop something.
Would be interesting to know if you get Legendary enemies in Power Armour.

You could have quite a discussion between what's legendary and Unique pieces.
Anything with a star next to it.

Would be interesting to know if you get Legendary enemies in Power Armour.
I'm pretty sure I ran into one at Dunwich Borers.

While working with the BoS I got the 'Visionary's' helm and a Left leg called 'Honor' and right leg called 'vengence'.
That makes me wonder if ...
... The Minutemen ending is the "true" ending, with the Brotherhood of Steel an antagonistic occupying force, the Railroad a fringe movement and the Institute a benign evil (after all, their goals are never explicitly stated).
I might have to find out with Gillian.

I knew from the beginning that I was going with the Brotherhood of Steel, so I basically did everything I could for the Minutemen up till last mission for them. I finished the BOS story line and the end quest for the Minutemen finished on it's own. I hope this helps.

So I should work with the other faction to advance in the Minutemen plot? Because I don't recall seeing Minutemen related quests (other than the settlement helping ones)

Made some more excellent progress in F4 over the last few days. Unlocked the achievement for getting a settlement to 100% happiness. Then unlocked the achievements for 10 bobble heads and 20 bobble heads. The last one was a pain because I needed to get access to the Insane Asylum.

After that was completed I started a new character. She is a female named A**Face. So funny hearing Codsworth say Miss A**Face. :lol:

I decided to join the Railroad this time. Already unlocked the Tradecraft achievement.

Now I want to unlock the last several achievements but I want to make sure I can get all of them in one play through. I will post this info in the other Fallout thread because it will contain spoilers.

So I should work with the other faction to advance in the Minutemen plot? Because I don't recall seeing Minutemen related quests (other than the settlement helping ones)

That was all I did. Now keep in mind I was going Brotherhood of Steel in the story missions and I was asked by everyone's favorite Minutemen to do something big. I stopped there and finished the BOS storyline.

On a side note, I discovered my 340th location in the game this morning before work!! Not sure how many are left to be honest.

That was all I did. Now keep in mind I was going Brotherhood of Steel in the story missions and I was asked by everyone's favorite Minutemen to do something big. I stopped there and finished the BOS storyline.

On a side note, I discovered my 340th location in the game this morning before work!! Not sure how many are left to be honest.
Am I supposed to kill someone in the Institute? Because I didn't do so the two times I've been there

Am I supposed to kill someone in the Institute? Because I didn't do so the two times I've been there

You'll know when the time is right. You could do it through free choice, of course, but all the game's pathways are explained in the missions.

You will inevitably be drawn to a point where you have to pick a side. You can delay that sometimes by passing charisma checks, but there are a few points of no return. The first of these is "Mass Fusion", where your actions will make permanent enemies of the Brotherhood or the Institute; you won't be able to progress with your relationship with both sides intact. The game will give you some warning of this, but it is the only time that it will do so.

Of course, you can kill a named character - like Justin Ayo - in the Institute at any time and the Institute will turn on you immediately, triggering the "Banished from the Institute" mission, which I think is part of the Minutemen story (but I haven't done it myself). However, if you do it too early, you may not be able to complete the likes of "Mankind Redefined", "Liberty Reprimed" and "Underground Undercover", all of which give achievements.

In fact, it's possible to get 49 out of 50 achievements in a single play-through; "Ad Victoriam" is the only one missing from my list.

I have a quick question regarding building settlements? When i watch YouTube videos they seem to have lot's more different types of things to build with that i don't have, Advanced Lighting for example...Are these all unlocked as you progress?

340?

I got to 305 and was sure that was all of them. Or are you counting locations that aren't recorded on the map?

No, that number is all recorded locations. I am unsure of how many hidden locations I have found. As far as I know, I still have 8 to go. Can't find them.

6FDD17C938A868CFA0E83C13124C18CF10DA5A7C

EDIT - https://steamcommunity.com/app/377160/discussions/0/492378265882189986/#c492379439688680749

that number is all recorded locations
So the Pip-Boy records all locations that you have found, even if they don't appear on the map? Because I have scoured every single corner of it and I am sure that I have found every major landmark. Even the obscure and hard-to-access places, like the Forgotten Church.

I am very disappointed with some of the locations that I have found. I keep running into firefights outside the Dartmouth Professional Building, and I was saving a full exploration of it for the post-game, but when I finally went in I found that it was just a small lobby. Same with the Customs House Tower.

So the Pip-Boy records all locations that you have found, even if they don't appear on the map? Because I have scoured every single corner of it and I am sure that I have found every major landmark. Even the obscure and hard-to-access places, like the Forgotten Church.

I am very disappointed with some of the locations that I have found. I keep running into firefights outside the Dartmouth Professional Building, and I was saving a full exploration of it for the post-game, but when I finally went in I found that it was just a small lobby. Same with the Customs House Tower.

So have I... I thought. I would randomly choose a spot and just start walking. Time consuming yes, but man, when I discover new spots there is some satisfaction involved. Found 341,342, and 343 last night. Now if I could just find those 10 Bobbleheads. LOL

Indeed. That Custom House Tower was strange. It had a chained door from the other side, so something tells me we'll be back to that location sometime in the future or there is a secondary egress point that I have missed.

Now if I could just find those 10 Bobbleheads. LOL
I have all 20 bobbleheads. Some of those bobbleheads are very difficult to find. I ended up using a youtube video and good thing I did. The one bobblehead at the Insane Asylum takes a lot of work to get. You have to find a specific person. Then you have to complete several missions for that place to unlock. Its a bit complicated. If you dont have that place unlocked it will take at least an hour or two before you can even get in there. Probably the most complicated bobblehead IMO. Some are hidden very well. Took me about 5-6 hours to collect all 20 bobbleheads.

I have all 20 bobbleheads. Some of those bobbleheads are very difficult to find. I ended up using a youtube video and good thing I did. The one bobblehead at the Insane Asylum takes a lot of work to get. You have to find a specific person. Then you have to complete several missions for that place to unlock. Its a bit complicated. If you dont have that place unlocked it will take at least an hour or two before you can even get in there. Probably the most complicated bobblehead IMO. Some are hidden very well. Took me about 5-6 hours to collect all 20 bobbleheads.

I plan on going after the remaining bobbleheads after I finish finding all the locations. I found one last night with a cranky grandma in it, and now have another settlement to build up.

I plan on going after the remaining bobbleheads after I finish finding all the locations.
This might help:

Perception - Museum of Freedom
Science - Vault 75
Explosives - Saugus Ironworks
Sneaking - Dunwich Borers
Barter - Longneck Lukowski's Cannery
Repair - Corvega Assembly Plant roof
Intelligence - Boston Public Library
Melee - Trinity Towers
Strength - Mass Fusion Building
Lockpicking - Pickman Gallery
Speech - Vault 114
Energy weapons - Fort Hagen
Unarmed - Atom Cats Garage
Endurance - Poseidon Energy
Agility - Wreck of the FMS Northstar
Luck - Spectacle Island
Small guns - Gunners Plaza
Big guns - Vault 95
Medicine - Secret Vault 81
Charisma - Parsons State Insane Asylum
As for the one on the asylum:

You need to speak to a ghoul named Edward Deegan. He can usually be found in the Bunker Hill marketplace, but I have been told that he wanders around; he may also be somewhere like Goodneighbour. You can pick him out because he wears a flat newsboy cap and combat armour chestpiece, and he will approach you if he sees you. He'll set you up on a fairly lengthy (though you can skip parts of it if you know where to go) series of quests that will grant you access to the asylum.

Last edited:
I'm not sure if this was discussed before, But I just discovered that you can discover ballistic weave and upgrade some outfits after finishing a certain quest with Railroad, It's so OP, I have a trilby hat that is more damage resisting than the rest of my armor.

I just discovered that you can discover ballistic weave and upgrade some outfits
Yeah, it's a bit of an easter egg - the game doesn't tell you that it's there, and gives it to you at the same time as you get the novelty "covert sweater vest".

Personally, I think it's massively overpowered; I have a fully-upgraded Vault 111 jumpsuit and I rarely feel vulnerable in that, but the ballistic weave offers three and a half times more defence. It would be okay if you could just apply it to full costumes - like the longshoreman outfit - but you can apply it to thin clothing and add armour over the top of it.

you can apply it to thin clothing and add armour over the top of it.

Fatigues and shadowed armor. Looks cool, great armour value, stupid concept :)

So far I've used power armour once and that was to...

complete the Railroad strand and kill everybody on Das Prydven

Fatigues and shadowed armor. Looks cool, great armour value, stupid concept
I'm going for a full set of Mantis Armour on my next play-through.

Perhaps you could give your companions some decent armour? I saw your video of Cait in Vault 95 ...

So far I've used power armour once and that was to...
I use it quite a bit, mostly when I am feeling like wreaking some havoc. But sometimes I like to admire my full power armour gallery - I have a full set for each faction and the extra liveries.

Perhaps you could give your companions some decent armour? I saw your video of Cait in Vault 95 ...

She's Oirish so, the armour's built in :D

I use it quite a bit, mostly when I am feeling like wreaking some havoc. But sometimes I like to admire my full power armour gallery - I have a full set for each faction and the extra liveries.

Absolutely, my first playthrough (probably the save I'll return to) had a full gallery of each type. At present I'm just completing the BoS achievments, then onto Institute and Minutemen. I haven't even bothered collecting more than two suits of armour this time around.

I got 48 out of 50 on my first play-through. I only have "Ad Victoriam" and "Benevolent Leader" to go.

Hmmm, I'd presumed that of all the mission complete achievements there was one for each main story strand but if you got 48/50 then clearly that's not the case. I need to take a better look at the achievement list.

I'd presumed that of all the mission complete achievements there was one for each main story strand but if you got 48/50 then clearly that's not the case.
There is, but if you play each faction against the middle, you can pick all of them up.

I should make a slight correction, though - I got 47 out of 50 on one play-through; you can't get "Nuclear Option" and "Nuclear Family" in one game. I got "Nuclear Option" and reloaded an earlier save to get "Nuclear Family". I imagine that 48 is possible; there was no story constraint preventing me from getting "Benevolent Leader".

The last achievement for the Minutemen is "Old Guns", which is odd because unlike the other factions, the story continues on for some time after that (provided you make certain choices).

The last achievement for the Railroad is "Rockets' Red Glare", but if you get it, you can't get the achievement for "Underground Undercover", so make sure you finish that mission first.

The last achievement for the Brotherhood of Steel is "Ad Victoriam", but because you're forced to make a choice in "Mass Fusion", the ending to the Brotherhood or Institute storyline will be closed off. However, you can get the "Blind Betrayal" and "Liberty Reprimed" achievements before you start "Mass Fusion".

The Minutemen, Railroad and Brotherhood will all give you "Nuclear Option", since it's effectively the same mission for each faction, even if the particulars differ.

You can only get the Institute achievements if you take their side in "Mass Fusion". "Mankind Redefined" and "Powering Up" are easy enough; you can pick them up without destroying your relationship with other factions. In the same way, "Nuclear Family" is only possible if you side with the Institute at the end.
It's mostly a case of knowing how to prolong the relationship with each faction.

So, I'm curious ...

As to how much of your initial character selection influences Shaun's adult appearance. Skin tone definitely carries over; Shaun can be Caucasian or African-American, though I haven't experimented with the Asian, Hispanic or Indian character models, so I don't know if Shaun could appear to be Asian, Hispanic or Indian.

I doubt that his hair colour will change, since he's sixty-odd years old. I imagine eye colour would, as that's also hereditary, but I couldn't get close enough to see Father's eyes since I prefer third person to first. But I wonder about things like weight and things like nose shape and ears.
For the record, my new character is a completely bald woman. But I wonder if the female character model has customisation features not available at the outset. Marlon has the "Waster" hairstyle, which you can only get from John the barber in Diamond City.

Back