Fallout 4

• Thread starter Wiegert
  • 2,543 comments
Has anyone here looked the mod website for the consoles and PC for Fallout 4 yet? When this thing hits the PS4, I am going to have some fun!
The Xbox version should be ready for mods while the PS4's will have to wait till June. The mods are cross-platform, so nobody's missing out on anything.

I completed the Battle of Bunker Hill last night.

I warned Elder Maxson and the BOS beforehand so they lead the way with their laser mini-guns and I got some extra Synth/BOS loot out of it. I got my first Gauss Rifle out of the fighting and it is ridiculously overpowered with my Rifleman perk. Dr. Li made it back to the BOS and she has me getting parts for Liberty Prime now.

I got the bad news from Father that he is dying and wants me to take the directorship role at the Institute. That made my mind up that I will be joining the BOS for good. The only reason I would have helped them continue to live underground making robots do everything for them was to help him out. With him dying and no cure in sight, there is no reason to help them anymore.

Mass Fusion started after the board meeting but that's where I left off for now. Once it started, it told me I failed the Railroad quest called Tradecraft so I'm assuming I am an enemy of the Railroad now. I may look for an autosave from before I started the Mass Fusion conversation and see if I can still meet Deacon for the Railroad mission. I also gave Virgil his serum so hopefully he turns back to normal.

I failed the Railroad quest called Tradecraft so I'm assuming I am an enemy of the Railroad now.
I'm pretty sure that won't make them your enemy. As far as I know, there's only one way to become their enemy:
Killing them all. Desdemona will give you the benefit of the doubt, even if you tip the Institute and/or the Brotherhood off about Bunker Hill.

Question: did the Automatron and/or Wasteland Workshop DLC contain new customisation options for your character? I noticed that the extra hairdos and tattoos are pretty limited.

@prisonermonkeys

Why would it automatically fail the Tradecraft quest then when I start Mass Fusion? I still have to re-take the Castle (Preston has been there for a couple in-game weeks now :lol:) and that one is still available.

Why would it automatically fail the Tradecraft quest then when I start Mass Fusion?
Because depending on the choice you make, it either makes you an enemy of the Institute, or commits you to their cause. Either way, you cannot complete the requirements of "Tradecraft".

I still have to re-take the Castle (Preston has been there for a couple in-game weeks now :lol:) and that one is still available.
That's a Minutemen quest.
And the Minutemen are the one faction who can survive the game regardless of your relationship with the other factions.

Just recently got the game, now level 23. Sided with the brotherhood. My favourite weapon is my double barrel shotgun I sawed off by using glue. I appropriately named it "boomstick". My minigun is also named "Charolette". Paladin Danse was my main companion before
I learned of his secret identity as a synth and blew his face off with my boomstick at his request.
now my main at the moment is Curie. My guy also has some pretty slick short black hair and some glasses.

Overall 3/10 too much irradiated water -IGN

Wait, you're that far into the game and you're only at level 23?

I find that hard to believe.
It's not that far fetched. If you just focus on the main quests and your character has a low intelligence, and you don't have a few choice perks, you can most certainly be at Level 23. I finished my main quest with the Railroad as a Level 27 character with medium intelligence so it's certainly possible.

This is a very beautiful mod, glad someone made a nature mod it adds so much needed color to the landscape. http://www.pcgamer.com/fallout-4-mod-brings-resplendent-greens-to-post-apocalyptic-boston/
Yes, Fallout 4 is much less brown than its two modern predecessors, but let's face it: it's still pretty drab. That's to be expected given the post-apocalyptic setting , but sometimes a bit of green is nice. That's where this new Resurrection mod helps: it makes Boston look more like Cyrodiil, and it's very beautiful indeed.

The mod, which claims to bring a new summer atmosphere to Boston, is still in beta, but you can still download it right now. According to the Nexus Mod description it introduces new landscape and building textures, as well as a new "wild jungle" ambient sound. I haven't tested the mod myself, so proceed with all the usual caution.

I'm still level 30 and haven't played this game in months, part of what's hard for me to get back in this game is the drab scenery. I was reluctant to buy this game in the first place because of this very reason, but it's a great game so I bought it anyway. If they make this mod available on Xbox then I can see getting back into this game for a long time.

Wooo, Far Harbour gets released tomorrow!

Now is the perfect time to start with a new character so that I can explore all of the DLC (I have been saving Automatron and Wasteland Workshop until now). I'm just trying to think of a good name for them. I'm in a bit of a Joseph Heller state of mind; when he wrote Catch-22, Heller named his main character Yossarian to make him vaguely foreign-sounding and show just how alien he is to the world of the story.

I'm about to start the game for the first time (I've "only" had it since Christmas). I have the season pass.

Can anyone recommend some basic tips for starting off please? I'm not someone who wants to whizz through games. I like to see everything the games has to offer (hence a huge backlog of games)

Can anyone recommend some basic tips for starting off please?
Get to know the SPECIAL system. At the start of the game, you will be asked to put skill points into seven traits known as SPECIAL - Strength, Perception, Endurance, Charisma, Intelligence, Agility and Luck. Each one has different bonuses and perks on offer; the points you assign affect the basic stats and the perks that are available (for example, Endurance gives you more hit points, while Charisma makes it easier to get information out of people). Of course, you only get 21 points to start with, so choose wisely. With each level up, you can get a new perk or improve a base stat - but to unlock every single tier of every single perk, you will need to be close to level 300. SPECIAL works like this:
  • Strength - improves carry weight and mêlée damage
  • Perception - improves awareness and accuracy
  • Endurance - improves stamina and health
  • Charisma - makes it easier to get information from people
  • Intelligence - gives more experience and opens up high-end crafting mods
  • Agility - improves action points and stealth
  • Luck - improves your luck and critical metre
Once you know the stats, it really starts to influence the way you play the game. I tend to favour Intelligence, Agility and Perception so I can deal lots of damage very quickly up-front, but the trade-off is that I am weak in a prolonged fight.

Use VATS as frequently as possible (you'll get a tutorial). Despite outward appearances, this is not a first-person shooter, and ammunition is a precious commodity. VATS makes life much easier. Keep a healthy supply of caps - currency - and buy ammunition regularly. Only carry what supplies you need.

Speaking of ammunition, sometimes it's better to run and hide than to stand and fight. As a general rule, the further south and the further east you get, the harder the game gets.

This point won't make much sense now, but you'll understand later - eventually you unlock the ability to establish supply lines between settlements. Be very careful of who you assign to this role; each settlement has a dedicated quest-giver, and if you assign them to the supply line, you'll end up chasing them across the map. It's quite frustrating.

I'm not someone who wants to whizz through games.
You won't. Fallout 4 is one of only two games - the other being Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain - that I have ever clocked up two hundred hours on. It's practically impossible to walk in a straight line; there's usually at least three things betwewn Point A and Point B to distract you. Even if it's fossicking around a fishpacking plant looking for ceramic and copper.

Get to know the SPECIAL system. At the start of the game, you will be asked to put skill points into seven traits known as SPECIAL - Strength, Perception, Endurance, Charisma, Intelligence, Agility and Luck. Each one has different bonuses and perks on offer; the points you assign affect the basic stats and the perks that are available (for example, Endurance gives you more hit points, while Charisma makes it easier to get information out of people). Of course, you only get 21 points to start with, so choose wisely. With each level up, you can get a new perk or improve a base stat - but to unlock every single tier of every single perk, you will need to be close to level 300. SPECIAL works like this:
  • Strength - improves carry weight and mêlée damage
  • Perception - improves awareness and accuracy
  • Endurance - improves stamina and health
  • Charisma - makes it easier to get information from people
  • Intelligence - gives more experience and opens up high-end crafting mods
  • Agility - improves action points and stealth
  • Luck - improves your luck and critical metre
Once you know the stats, it really starts to influence the way you play the game. I tend to favour Intelligence, Agility and Perception so I can deal lots of damage very quickly up-front, but the trade-off is that I am weak in a prolonged fight.

Use VATS as frequently as possible (you'll get a tutorial). Despite outward appearances, this is not a first-person shooter, and ammunition is a precious commodity. VATS makes life much easier. Keep a healthy supply of caps - currency - and buy ammunition regularly. Only carry what supplies you need.

Speaking of ammunition, sometimes it's better to run and hide than to stand and fight. As a general rule, the further south and the further east you get, the harder the game gets.

This point won't make much sense now, but you'll understand later - eventually you unlock the ability to establish supply lines between settlements. Be very careful of who you assign to this role; each settlement has a dedicated quest-giver, and if you assign them to the supply line, you'll end up chasing them across the map. It's quite frustrating.

You won't. Fallout 4 is one of only two games - the other being Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain - that I have ever clocked up two hundred hours on. It's practically impossible to walk in a straight line; there's usually at least three things betwewn Point A and Point B to distract you. Even if it's fossicking around a fishpacking plant looking for ceramic and copper.

Perfect, just what I needed. Thank you so much.

Perfect, just what I needed. Thank you so much.
If you know where to look, there's a twenty-second skill point to be found:
You'll find a book called You're SPECIAL! in your home when you return to Sanctuary.
Sink at least two skill points into Luck as some of the early Luck perks allow you to find more caps and ammunition.

Regularly upgrade your weapons and armour; it will make life easier. Especially when you get your hands on the Scrapper perk.

Craft weapons, armour, food and chems regularly, as they give you experience points. They can also be sold for caps.

Take Preston as a companion early. He's a pain in the neck, but it's easy to raise his bond level and unlock a useful perk. If he starts asking about the Castle, you've left it too late, and he won't be available as a companion until you complete "Taking Independence", which is a tough quest. In fact, don't accept the quest at all, because he will go to the Castle straight away, making it very difficult to report back on settlement quests - which will make up a lot of your early experience points. He usually asks you about it after Tenpines Bluff and the Starlight Drive-In. Decline, and he will stay in Sanctuary; he won't be available as a companion, but you can get new quests from him.

Last edited:
Far Harbor First Impressions;

Pros:
- One of the best environments ever. Get chills just waiting for something to jump out at me
- The new enemies are horrifyingly awesome. Especially the Glowing Hermit Crab.
- Everything seems that bit harder. Lots of action.
- Haven't seen a Tracker yet, but they seem big and scary.

Cons
- Horrible frame rate in deep fog

I was able to load an auto-save from before starting Mass Fusion so I jumped right into Tradecraft.

So I met Deacon under the interstate and we went in the back tunnel entrance. I didn't realize it until we walked up to the first group of Synths but I'm in a very unique position currently: Aside from the usual Raiders/Mutants/Gunners, I have no enemies. We got to the first group of Synths and they all reported that they were functioning properly. No one cared that I was even there. Deacon on the other hand, he got killed about 50 times before we made it out of the place. Each time he took down a Synth I would loot them and then wait for him to get up and take out another one. It was a nice way to build up ammo for the Righteous Authority.

Afterwards, I accepted the Railroad's invite just so I could take all their things without it being stealing. I received two missions from them, Dead Drop and Boston after Dark. I'm anxious to start Mass Fusion and progress the story but that will likely mean I can't do these. Decisions, decisions... I also stumbled onto Pickman's Gallery just before I had to stop playing and I barely managed to keep him from being killed by the Raiders. I got a nice bleed damage knife from him and it was a unique little house and story going on. I died at least 4 times though from the high level Raiders and a couple well hidden frag mines.

I'm up to level 39 but I can't get Rifleman 4 until level 46 so I put the latest level up into Master Lock-picking.

Pretty sure my game downloaded FH whilst I was playing it last night (yes was up way too late), which was pretty cool. It suddenly said a new add-on had downloaded and to access it I needed to go into the main menu and select "add-ons", but it was time to hit the hay then :)

When I originally started Mass Fusion it told me I failed Tradecraft. Wouldn't starting it again fail these new Railroad quests?

Side note - I grabbed a Mk IV Railroad coat and it had better resistance than all my armor.

Wouldn't starting it again fail these new Railroad quests?
I don't know why it would.
The Railroad is naturally opposed to the Brotherhood, but they don't come into direct conflict until late in the game. And while they're also opposed to the Institute, they need your relationship with them to be positive to succeed in their objectives. Killing synths in "Tradecraft" shouldn't hurt your relationship.
The only thing that I can think of is that the mission in question represents the start of the final act of the game, and that outstanding quests are automatically failed to prevent them clashing with other quests later on.

I don't if any of you had this problem before, after trying building something with the workshop DLC stuff, my settlers just surround that building every night. I tried removing the thing, but now they're just standing there.

Last edited:

Latest Posts

Back