Fallout 4

• Thread starter Wiegert
  • 2,543 comments
I don't if any of you had this problem before, after trying building something with the workshop DLC stuff, my settlers just surround that building every night. I tried removing the thing, but now they're just standing there.

Try setting off a siren (or using the bell) somewhere else. Have you put a stall in there? They'll congregate around the bar, obviously :)

If they're not going to bed at around midnight then do a full save and then kill them to check for synths. Reload your game and get rid of the synths. I send mine to County Crossing, a dedicated camp for them :D

Side note - I grabbed a Mk IV Railroad coat and it had better resistance than all my armor.
It's worth sticking with the Railroad for a while:
Eventually you will unlock the ballistic weave armour, which can be applied to most clothing. Even the ones that are thin enough to be worn under other gear (excpt Vault suits). The trick is that the game doesn't actually tell you that you have unlocked it. After you do a quest or three for the Railroad, you'll meet PAM; once you do a quest for her, speak to Tinker Tom - the Railroad's version of Q - which should unlock the ballistic weave. You need to get your hands on ballistic fibre, but it's rare. Military ammo bags have it, but your best bet is to buy it from KLE-0 in Goodneighbour. The strongest ballistic weave gives you 110 damage resistance, which is more than a Mk.IV Sentry Bot.

If they're not going to bed at around midnight then do a full save and then kill them to check for synths. Reload your game and get rid of the synths. I send mine to County Crossing, a dedicated camp for them
Wait, synths can overrun your settlements? That's awesome. I met a synth version of Preston Garvey near the Dartmouth Professional Building once - he was everything the real Preston wasn't - but I didn't know that synths can take over your settlements.

I have seen all of my settlers standing on beds and facing the same direction in the middle of the night, but I thought it was just a glitch. Maybe that's why settlements stop growing - the Institute populates them with synths, but they can't let the settlements grow for fear of being caught. And we all thought it was a glitch.

Try setting off a siren (or using the bell) somewhere else. Have you put a stall in there? They'll congregate around the bar, obviously :)

If they're not going to bed at around midnight then do a full save and then kill them to check for synths. Reload your game and get rid of the synths. I send mine to County Crossing, a dedicated camp for them :D
I have a stall there, but all of them were waiting outside the wall of that building.
Also I think it's worth noting that they never did this before a bunch of super mutants attacked the settlement.

Also I think it's worth noting that they never did this before a bunch of super mutants attacked the settlement.

Probably related. Did you have a siren there? Try building a siren elsewhere in the settlement
and activating it.

Wait, synths can overrun your settlements? That's awesome.

Not overrun exactly, the most I've ever found was 3/20. They do occasionally attack the settlement they're in, this turns the other settlers against them and then you find the dead synth-settler (identifiable by their synth component).

I've read guides on how to spot the synths, attribute observation in VATS doesn't work, the synth component isn't visible until they're dead... it seems to be their sleeping habits that are the big giveaway.

The main effect they have (outside any damage they might decide to do) is that their happiness seems stuck at 50%, this has an effect on overall settlement happiness.

I send mine to County Crossing, a dedicated camp for them
That sounds suspiciously like a concentration camp ...

it seems to be their sleeping habits that are the big giveaway.
Apparently I'm a synth, since I don't sleep. I'm like the Energizer bunny with a square jaw.

attribute observation in VATS doesn't work,
I Googled it and a lot of people seem to think that they have higher-than-normal energy resistance.

There's different dialogue at the beginning of Far Harbor depending on whether or not you have Nick Valentine with you

I think I might start this DLC all over again...
I've sided with the townspeople, which is what I wanted, but I feel like I haven't got the most out of this DLC as I didn't bring Nick Valentine, and I sort of rushed my way through, not doing any side-quests for Acadia or the Children of Atom. It's still great, don't get me wrong, but I feel like I haven't maximized the main story line.

It was building great momentum, I was really into it. Then came infiltrating the Children of Atom (which went smoothly) and finding DiMa's memories. That's when momentum came to a screeching halt. Badly. One terrible Tron-esque, coding simulation that had good intentions, but terrible execution and I sat there lost. To its credit, you don't have to complete all 5 memories, but again, to maximize the story, you should do all 5.

So after that, you can set off to find out this deep, dark secret of DiMa's. I initially had no idea what it could be, but as I arrived on the scene, I found a grave. I straight away thought it was Kasumi Nakano. Seems predictable. NOPE! The body within the grave is none other than Captain Avery. A truly holy 🤬 moment. An awesome plot twist.

Confronting DiMa about it (and listening to his explanation) starts a hard moral choice about turning DiMa in or letting justice run it's course. I let justice run it's course and DiMa was subsequently murdered by the Townspeople, and then the Townspeople stormed Acadia and killed everyone inside. Including Kasumi Nakano. I quite regretted her death. Which is a first for me in this game. I sort of wanted to bring her home. Not now though. I have to return and inform Mr Nakano on her death now, which should bring the end of the main quest, I'd assume.

All in all, a fantastic DLC, the main quest is miles better than the main game main quest. Decisions in the DLC are so much harder to make in than in the main game, so they've done a fantastic job with improving that. You do learn a lot about yourself and what your morals are in certain situations, which is quite amazing for a game. Only other game to challenge me like that was The Last Of Us. A solid 9/10 for this DLC so far.

When does Far Harbour become available in-game? I have started over with a new character, and I haven't actually met Nick Valentine yet.

Once you complete the "Getting a Clue' quest. Other than that, there are no other requirements.
I thought that would be the case. I might, however, save it until the very end of the game;
My first play-through had my character, Marlon, rejecting the synth version of Shaun. It was cold, but I saw it as part of his making peace with the world - that Shaun had lived a full and happy life, and that by reliving it with the synth Shaun, he is still falling victim to the same cycle he was trying to escape in the first place. I see Far Harbour as a natural extension of that, with the character leaving the Boston area entirely to get away. The Commonwealth no longer needs him, just as be no longer needs the Commonwealth.
My new character's name is "Telemachus"; one because it sounds suitably and vaguely foreign (though I did briefly consider "Marcus Teller", which also sounds very noir), and two:
Telemachus was the son of Ulysses, the principal character of Homer's Odyssey. More to the point, he was the subject of Alfred, Lord Tennyson's "Ulysses", which is a blank verse poem written from Ulysses to Telemachus in which Ulysses laments a world which has nothing left to show him and he feels that he is now doomed to fade into the background, only to realise that he can experience the world anew, which I think dovetails nicely with both the Sole Survivor and Shaun.

Although I am choosing to ignore the way Tennyson also wrote that grand testament to incompetence and the cult of fortitude, "The Charge of the Light Brigade".
Being an English teacher is both blessing and a curse.

Can someone please explain to me everything that I need to do to set up an arena? I want to turn Starlight Drive-In into a battleground, but I can't find anything in the game to serve as a tutorial.

I'm a bit overwhelmed by Far Harbor so far. Mission structure seems to be that of an avalanche. I'm not sure what mission connects to the main arc since they all branch off rather randomly. Start one mission, and other side missions pop up automatically, and doing some of those side missions evolves them into something completely different at times. Based on trophies, I've completed two of the main story missions for that DLC, but there's just so much piling on that it's hard to keep up with.

I'm a bit overwhelmed by Far Harbor so far. Mission structure seems to be that of an avalanche. I'm not sure what mission connects to the main arc since they all branch off rather randomly. Start one mission, and other side missions pop up automatically, and doing some of those side missions evolves them into something completely different at times. Based on trophies, I've completed two of the main story missions for that DLC, but there's just so much piling on that it's hard to keep up with.

I agree, but at least there's plenty to keep busy with :)

Can someone please explain to me everything that I need to do to set up an arena? I want to turn Starlight Drive-In into a battleground, but I can't find anything in the game to serve as a tutorial.

Cages of two differing types - the occupants (cats aside) will automatically fight each other. Remote power switches for the cages.

Two podia, I haven't assigned cage occupants to mine but that seems to be how the settlers know where the arena actually is.

"Quitting Time" siren, light this up green when you want the settlers to come see.

Beta wave emitter (or something), this stops the creatures being hostile to your settlers and vice-versa. Without this your spectators will just shoot whatever comes out of the cages.

Seats near the podia, when you light the Quitting Time pole the settlers will come and sit there. Once the fight is on they'll start a-whoopin' an' a-hollerin'.

I know I posted these, but here are a few shots of my arena. I've got remote switches for each cage (3 of) and a powered door to get into the arena. Add a powered door rather than a manual one, otherwise if you have gunners/raiders/ghouls they'll just go through it.

Screenshot-Original (17).png
Screenshot-Original (18).png
Screenshot-Original (19).png

That sounds suspiciously like a concentration camp ...

No no no, it's just good to have them in one place so I can see what the buggers are up to. They certainly wander off a lot, that's why they're dressed distinctively. They also undertake a lot of attacks, especially once the bar is open.

Screenshot-Original.png

Last edited:
:lol: Bethesda has humor.
My girlfriend was over and I was playing FO4:FH and we both got damn excited at the sound of this quest, especially given I'm level 105.

We both were extremely disappointed in what happened, lol. I wanted an epic battle.

Now that I got a true gaming rig, I finally bought Fallout 4 in its definitive version. I had it for PS4 since release, but I can't stand the constant frame rate drops and the horrendous controllers (MasterRace problems), and quit after a few days.

I've been enjoying this game so much! Very few games have managed to capture me this way. I pretty much only work, come back home, play Fallout 4 and sleep :lol: I almost bought Far Harbor last night, but instead I bought The Witcher 3 since it was on sale, and I want to give myself a few more days to learn the game a bit more. Next week I shall buy the expansion.

I have almost no complains with this game, other than the forced character back story. I don't care for wife of having a child and it's being really difficult to ignore that portion of the game. I am an Elder Scrolls fan, and expected Fallout to be close to the same in terms of CC. Also, the Perk System is a bit confusing at first. Took me until level 15 to realize I don't have to max out my S.P.E.C.I.A.L attributes to move down on the tree :dunce:

But yeah, this game is probably the best I've played this year, and the closest to Skyrim in terms of immersion. game plays wonderful (with keyboard and mouse, of course), looks stunning when maxed out, holds 60fps for about 90% of the time (haven't seen it drop below 50fps though), sounds freaking beautiful and I love how despite the forced story, it does feel a bit more free than Skyrim and previous Elder Scrolls games (except for Morrowind, of course, which is the pinnacle of open-world RPG's).

Argh, I'm so annoyed - I just lost three hours' work. I sent the Vault-Tec Representative back to Sanctuary, but I didn't clear out the path and so he was killed by the Gunners stationed outside the Mass Fusion Building. Some of the recent updates have stopped the game from constantly auto-saving, so I had to revert to an old save.

I ran into Art fighting with a synth Art. I killed the synth one, but I stumbled upon some robots which I destroyed except for one that I incited, and it immediately went to the real Art and killed him.

I got killed by a thing called Assaultron who appeared out of nowhere in the woods. It scared the shizz out of me... It was running towards me like a freaking haunted mannequin charging up a laser. I had no chance... it was a one shot kill... I got a bit pissed and shot a Mini Nuke at it the second time I encountered it :D

Found some goggles and a nice bandanna for Doggymeat. He looks amazing! He's also got a teddy bear that he chews on every now and then.

Later on I found a friendly Deathclaw who wanted his egg back. That egg was somewhere in Salem in a witchcraft museum guarded by a boss Deathclaw that killed me about ten times. Once I got the egg, I gave it back and got a weapon made out of a Deathclaw hand, not before being killed by a bunch of lunatics shooting radiation guns. Lovely.

On my way back home, I saw a guy in power armor, stopped to say hi thinking he was a good guy, he pulled a Fatman, shot at point blank and blew not only me, but all his gang.

Moral of the story? Stay between Sanctuary and Diamond City until you level up enough... The rest of the map is just a deadly mess of randomness, radiation poisoning and crazy people.

I love this game...

Last edited:
On my way back home, I saw a guy in power armor, stopped to say hi thinking he was a good guy, he pulled a Fatman, shot at point blank and blew not only me, but all his gang.
When you look at someone or something, either in freeroam or in VATS, its name will appear at the top of the screen. If the name is red, it's hostile. If it's green, it's friendly (but if you shoot at it or steal from it, it will turn hostile).

Got a Deadeye 10mm Pistol, modified it to be as light as possible, put a recon scope on it and renamed it to Binoculars, using them to have a recon scope

When you look at someone or something, either in freeroam or in VATS, its name will appear at the top of the screen. If the name is red, it's hostile. If it's green, it's friendly (but if you shoot at it or steal from it, it will turn hostile).

I did not know that. I was actually wondering how to identify hostiles without having to get too close. I've been doing it with my rifle's scope, since it's usually how I check people to see if their outfit belongs to enemy npc's, but it doesn't show any status or name.

Thanks!

I was actually wondering how to identify hostiles without having to get too close.
As a general rule, assume it's hostile - unless it speaks to you first. The further south and east you get, the more dangerous the world becomes. I'm honestly surprised you survived the trip to the Museum of Witchcraft so early in the game as it's an extremely difficult and dangerous mission.

I did not know that. I was actually wondering how to identify hostiles without having to get too close. I've been doing it with my rifle's scope, since it's usually how I check people to see if their outfit belongs to enemy npc's, but it doesn't show any status or name.

Thanks!

Click into VATS and see if the target is already hostile... otherwise it's as @prisonermonkeys says.

I ran into Art fighting with a synth Art.
I had this exact thing happen to me last night except the synth Art was on my side so I killed the real Art. It was at Bunker Hill and in VATS the Art closest to me was green and the other Art was red. Red Art had no synth component.

@prisonermonkeys
I completed Boston after Dark and half of Underground Undercover last night, in that order. Once I reached the point in Underground Undercover where I needed to go back to see Desdemona, I figured while I was in the Institute I might as well attend the board meeting for The Human Error. After the meeting when Mass Fusion started, it did not fail all my Railroad quests this time.

One other weird thing happened. When I was first meeting Patriot/Liam at the Institute, it randomly completed Raider Troubles at Sanctuary while I was talking to him. I had killed the Raiders weeks ago(real weeks, not in-game weeks) but it had never closed because I needed to report to Preston who was still waiting for me at The Castle. I hope this doesn't mean The Castle quest timed out.

I got back into this recently with Far Harbor, which I think is a damn good expansion to the game. I think I may like it better than the main game in fact, even just for the setting and the overall feel of the area and characters. I like the foggy, creepy, swampy, atmosphere and the feeling that I am about to be murdered by random things at any moment. Keeps things tense! There are a ton of quests to do, seemingly all dumped on to me at once, but it's keeping me busy.

After the meeting when Mass Fusion started, it did not fail all my Railroad quests this time.
"Mass Fusion" only forces you to choose between the Brotherhood or the Institute. You will ultimately have to choose between the other factions, but that will come in subsequent quests - and unlike "Mass Fusion", you won't get a warning about an impending choice.

Like I said, I expect that the reason that you failed last time was because you were entering into the game's final act and the game needed to close the outstanding quests. I'd say it's a by-product of the way you only met the Railroad after getting the courser chip - technically, you could go straight from Vault 111 to the Old North Church at the start of the game, but the first clue as to their existence usually comes from two guys outside Valentine's Detective Agency or a random Diamond City Security guard, so I suspect most people meet them considerably earlier than the point where they inevitably enter the story. I do know that Deacon has different dialogue if you enter the church before or after you kill Kellogg.

Thanks.

I only went to the Railroad after killing the courser to get his chip analyzed and progress myself though the quests to find Shaun. I decided early on that I wasn't going to join with them so I assumed I didn't need to try and find them at all. Now I'm doing missions for them to get that ballistic weave armor.

Back