Fanatec Announcements: CSW V2 Reviews Out

• Thread starter Crispy
  • 13,388 comments
I went for it! I grabbed the Black Friday Bundle + Clubsport Pedals v3 + Brake Damper Kit for a little under $1100 shipped (yikes!). I already owned the Shifter SQ and will be looking for a formula rim in a couple months.

I'm using an Obutto Ozone. I'm wondering if I need it (to angle down) or if a horizontal (flat) orientation is all I need. I'm certainly not interested in those adjustable clamps impeding leg movement, either getting in/out or while racing.

From looking at Ozone photos it looks like the wheel deck is flat. I'd hard mount the CSW with its included angled brackets. I wouldn't use the table clamp at all.

Alright guys it is getting close to time for the wife to live up to her end of the deal with us moving to Florida, she got Disney annual passes, I get a wheel. I'm looking at the CSW V2 with the CSL Wheel P1, it looks like that should be compatible just like that with both my Xbox One and PS4, I just want to make sure. Does anyone have this wheel and are you able to use it with your PS4? If so is there anything strange going on with the buttons?

Fanatec wheels are not COMPLETELY compatible with PS4. They currently work in PC mode on Project CARS, F1 2015 and maybe The Crew. I hear that WRC 2015 is slated for compatibility as well, because Fanatec supplies the driver to the developers and arranges to have them program support in the game, and SONY doesn't actively lock it out, unlike M$... However since they're not actually licensed by SONY the controls don't work in the PS4 menus and it's a long shot that you'll see unlicensed wheels supported in GT Sport or 7... BUT it has happened before.

Am I missing something or is there just the one wheel base on Fanatec's website and all of the racing wheels are no longer there...?

Am I missing something or is there just the one wheel base on Fanatec's website and all of the racing wheels are no longer there...?
They are indeed not.
Maybe the site is being updated ?

Something with the wheels also: almost only X-box branded bundles...

The old Porsche wheels and CSR stuff hasn't been on Fanatec's EU store in months, you could only buy Clubsport gear.

Yes, clearly the CSL line is being worked on, but apart from the CSL Xbox Rim nothing else has been announced so far.

Yes, all wheels except the Clubsport base have disappeared.
So far the cheapest Fanatec full set (base + CSL rim + pedals) is 1000 Euro (999.85 to be precise)
This cannot last very long as Fanatec has always had more affordable offers.

This can only mean that CSL base will be announced very soon.
A 300 Euros price would allow building 550 euros packs (with CSL xbox rim and CSL pedals)... maybe with a "bundle discount" making it 500.

Last edited:
So... what do you guys (with the CSW) play to get your formula fix? I have a pretty beefy PC too? Is Project Cars the answer?
I was not very much into open wheelers, until I had the chance to try a simulator that had the Fanatec Formula wheel.
I ordered one the next day, got it a month later and now I'm racing all Formula Championships in PCars career mode.
I'm having a blast. This wheel changed the whole feeling for me.
Just starting Formula A.
I'm running all races full length too, which can be exhausting...:sly:

you can try this

R3E is free to download and this formula experience is about 3$

Thanks! Looks great. I guess it is safe to say that all bleeding edge advancements in the sim world happen on PC first. I probably should just go ahead and get the Fana formula rim.

Assetto mod community has what your after.
Yes, and a lot of the track mods cause problems, look dull, awkward.
As far as car mods go, several have physics issues.
It is very nice being able to add mods, agreed, but AC is missing a lot of features too.
Triple screen support not being one of them.

Almost no controls can be mapped to a button box.
Rev lights don't work (not even with Fanaleds).
Career is meh.
While PCars may have too many sliders for FFB, AC has not got enough of them.
AC has 14 tracks (layouts)... Come on !
AC has no great car choice either.
AC's AI are even worse than PCars'.
Tracks are lifeless, graphics are (a lot) worse.

On the plus side (for AC):
- triple screen support (big plus)!
- even more settings for the cockpit view (+) but not on the fly (-)
- keeps track of your fastest times per car and per track (big+)
- changing all kind of settings without having to leave the track to go back in a menu (big +)

In the end (after 500 hrs+ on PS4 + PC, Project Cars still has my vote over AC (only 10 hrs at this moment).

Keep in mind that you will need a really good PC to run PCars at its best, but if you (like me) also think the eye candy is also important, go that way...

If you don't know PCars, AC will probably not be dissapointing either, but for the moment I only use it for hotlapping on tracks I need to know for track days and that are not in PCars. Mind you, these tracks are not in AC, they are downloaded mods.
AC seems to have somewhat more road feel (though I'm not happy -yet- with the FFB).

Pcars Physics are a Joke for starter's, More grip on the grass than the track.....Lol ok...sure.

AC F1 mods, yes If they aren't "Up to date" like say the FCM stuff, it will NOT be proper by any stretch of the imagination. AC updates can and have severely affected some forms of cars More so than others.

Almost no controls can be mapped to a button box.

Yes but has the basics and Not unrealistic stuff like Pcars (Anti roll bar adjustment on the fly....Lol your GT3 aint no Indy cars ) Yes a few more basic buttons would be appreciated

Rev lights don't work (not even with Fanaleds).

Yes they do on an older version of Fanaled's...(if you have new v3 pedals you have no choice unfortunately)

Career is meh.

AC was never designed to be a Forza or GT series....wait for Console to Grill them on the career mode.

While PCars may have too many sliders for FFB, AC has not got enough of them.

AC use's realistic data from a realistic place to access said data from, Not fake imaginary canned effect's that make you feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

AC has 14 tracks (layouts)... Come on !

LASER scanned tracks that cost 10's of thousands of $$ to do, and Pcars laser scan's might as well by made from GPS data its soo pis* poor.

AC has no great car choice either.

I do Not agree what so ever.

AC's AI are even worse than PCars'

No comment, cant get past the physics/telemetry to play long enough

Tracks are lifeless, graphics are (a lot) worse.

Default PP's leave much to be desired without any exposure adjustment.

On the plus side (for AC):
- triple screen support (big plus)! Agreed
- even more settings for the cockpit view (+) but not on the fly (-)

Why do you need to adjust the view on the fly ?

Pcars Physics are a Joke for starter's, More grip on the grass than the track.....Lol ok...sure.
It has been a while since you drove PCars I guess. Or do you never leave track ? It is not because AI manages to overtake with two or more wheels on the grass, that the grass has "more" grip. Some issue with AI,not the grass. Just try...

BTW: ever watched iRacing series on TV ? You know the "REAL" sim with "the only right physics" ?
- Four cars next to each other approaching a 90° corner, two of them with the outside wheels on the grass. Leaving the corner all four still side by side :eek:
- several cars going trough the gravel with no speed loss :eek:
- a car being hit and flying over the trackside trees :scared:

Yes they do on an older version of Fanaled's...(if you have new v3 pedals you have no choice unfortunately)
Ok, so Fanatec V3 owners are left out ?
Whe should not even need to use third party apps to get things working that should work in the game for starters.
Another thing (since we are on the Fanatec topic (!) :embarrassed::
I can not use the directional stick on my Fanatec Porsche 918 RSR wheel, because Kunos did not implement that, how is that ? For that you can also use a third party app, yeah right....

And "unrealistic stuff" (controls) in PCars ? ... You mean ignitiion, start engine, wipers, headlights, brake bias, TC, ABS.... ? Yeah, really unrealistic...

AC was never designed to be a Forza or GT series....wait for Console to Grill them on the career mode.
Maybe Kunos should not even have bothered then...or...what is AC for ?

LASER scanned tracks that cost 10's of thousands of $$ to do, and Pcars laser scan's might as well by made from GPS data its soo pis* poor.
PCars has laser scanned tracks too (6 I believe), so if you think they are "soo pis* poor" then what has SMS done to them to make them worse than AC's ?
In you opinion laser scanned is without any doubt the best (which is probably right), but there is a difference in laser scans ? Weird...:confused:

Also keep in mind that tracks will change in time and that your 1-3mm exact track will (could) be different next season (or in the sale season when repairs are done).
Laser scanned does not include kerbs, which are also important, but are left to the track designers.

And why would I need laser scanned tracks where I am never go driving IRL ?
PCars Zolder is (AFAIK) not laser scanned, but I assure you it is pretty close to the real thing. AC does not even have it. So from my point of view (opinions differ).....

Why do you need to adjust the view on the fly ?
Because I only drive in cockpit view, where I rely on the cars dashboard gauges (MOTEC or not). What looks good in the pits can differ totally from what I get while driving, especially when going up-or downhill, when the dash moves out of my view. Now I need to stop, change settings and drive off again. Controlled by the button box would be a lot easier, as are the ARB's you mentioned: no need to go back to the menu to make minor changes.
BTW some cars ARE equipped with cockpit controlled ARB's and since we are getting V8's too, that will be a realistic control.

Last edited:
I loved AC in the beginning, but each new update brings new issues.
Seriously what happened to the great physics, it is actually more like driving on ice.

Whe should not even need to use third party apps to get things working that should work in the game for starters.
I can not use the directional stick on my Fanatec Porsche 918 RSR wheel, because Kunos did not implement that, how is that ? For that you can also use a third party app, yeah right....
I have the solution. Get a G27, the rev lights on the G27 are working in AC. :D

PCars has laser scanned tracks too (6 I believe), so if you think they are "soo pis* poor" then what has SMS done to them to make them worse than AC's ?
In you opinion laser scanned is without any doubt the best (which is probably right), but there is a difference in laser scans ? Weird...:confused:
You are correct, there is a difference in laserscanning techniques and I believe that the lasescanning in AC is less complicated than the laserscanning used in iRacing and maybe even in pCars.

Don't forget, Kunos Simulazioni is a very small company with a limited budget. Compared to SMS and iRacing company, they do a very good job with the limited resources they have.

Also keep in mind that tracks will change in time and that your 1-3mm exact track will (could) be different next season (or in the sale season when repairs are done).
Laser scanned does not include kerbs, which are also important, but are left to the track designers.
There is no way to implement real life track conditions with the current pc and software technology. Laserscanned tracks or tracks build from photos, GPS data, it is all the same.
The fact that we need laserscanned tracks is because it is a simulations. In a simulation the tracks must be as correct as possible. This is not possible with tracks build from photos and GPS data. We are both Belgians and we both drove on the Zolder track. If SMS used a laserscanned Zolder track, it would be correct to the last millimeter. As you know, it is not. I talked about this in another thread and you liked my post, which mean that you agreed that the Zolder track in pCars is not 100%. That is why we need laser scanned tracks, to get these tracks as correct as possible.
Also, it has been brought to Ian's attention that his version of Monza is not correct either. If he had used laserscanning, it'd have been correct.

The curbstones are part of the laserscanned data, even the width of the run off's (grass, sand or whatever). There is an iRacing video on youtube where they explain how a laserscanned track is build and curb stones are definitely part of this technique.

I remember an interview with Ian Bell when he was developing NFS shift. He said that laser scanned tracks are not necessary. That he was able to build a track very accurately, only using GPS data. He was clearly wrong. And if so, why did he changed his mind and started building laserscanned tracks in pCars?

PCars Zolder is (AFAIK) not laser scanned, but I assure you it is pretty close to the real thing. AC does not even have it. So from my point of view (opinions differ).....
Even real race car drivers rely on laserscanned tracks to learn a track.

As I said, Zolder in pCars is not correct. It is not bad at all but it is not as it should be. I like Zolder in pCars although it is not 100% correct.

Because I only drive in cockpit view, where I rely on the cars dashboard gauges (MOTEC or not). What looks good in the pits can differ totally from what I get while driving, especially when going up-or downhill, when the dash moves out of my view. Now I need to stop, change settings and drive off again. Controlled by the button box would be a lot easier, as are the ARB's you mentioned: no need to go back to the menu to make minor changes.
BTW some cars ARE equipped with cockpit controlled ARB's and since we are getting V8's too, that will be a realistic control.
I think and I hope that I have the solution for you.

Disable "lock onboard camera to horizon". There is a similar option in pCars.

horizon%20option%20in%20AC_zpsuxyglkr0.png

You like pCars, I like AC. But that doesn't mean that we have to brake down a sim we don't like. Both sims do things right and wrong. I just happens that I like AC more than pCars, because the physics in AC feels so much real than the physics in pCars. I am in no way an AC fan. It just happens to be the only sim that I enjoy eventhough I don't agree with some of Kunos's decisions and how they do certain things in AC.

There is no sim that does everything right. If we want to have it 100% right, we have to do trackdays as you do.

Last edited:
I have the solution. Get a G27, the rev lights on the G27 are working in AC. :D
Damn, I used to have one....

You are correct, there is a difference in laserscanning techniques and I believe that the lasescanning in AC is less complicated than the laserscanning used in iRacing and maybe even in pCars.
I don't know which technique is used by SMS but here's the difference between iRacing and AC scan techniques.
I wonder which one will be the closest ???

iRacing:

Laser%20Spa%20iRacing.jpg

AC

Laser%20Spa%20AC.jpg

Don't forget, Kunos Simulazioni is a very small company with a limited budget. Compared to SMS and iRacing company, they do a very good job with the limited resources they have.
Not sure but I seem to have read that SMS' resources are even more limited..

We are both Belgians and we both drove on the Zolder track. If SMS used a laserscanned Zolder track, it would be correct to the last millimeter. As you know, it is not.
Right you are, but the difference is rather minimal (my last time was in 2015 - by car and also on race bike).
At least PCars HAS Zolder...

The curbstones are part of the laserscanned data, even the width of the run off's (grass, sand or whatever). There is an iRacing video on youtube where they explain how a laserscanned track is build and curb stones are definitely part of this technique.
Which I have seen. But the laser does not catch the surface of the curbs, or whether the used paint is more or less slippery and so on.

I think and I hope that I have the solution for you.
Disable "lock onboard camera to horizon". There is a similar option in pCars.
Thanks, just changed that this morning, but I will have to do some more adjustments since the car is now bouncing too harsh. Dash stays in sight now. 👍

You like pCars, I like AC. But that doesn't mean that we have to brake down a sim we don't like. Both sims do things right and wrong. I just happens that I like AC more than pCars, because the physics in AC feels so much real than the physics in pCars. I am in no way an AC fan. It just happens to be the only sim that I enjoy eventhough I don't agree with some of Kunos's decisions and how they do certain things in AC.

There is no sim that does everything right. If we want to have it 100% right, we have to do trackdays as you do.
You may have misunderstood me. AC has clearly some positive points and if I completely disliked it, I would not drive in it any more.
But I do like PCars better and when someone wants to break it down (as he does in other forums), just because he has some kind of aversion to it, I feel I have to reply. I am just as good entitled to my opinion.
I'm not breaking AC down, just pointing out the weak points (as well as I point out weak points of PCars).
Agreed ?

But my final point (and that is where I started) is that PCars lets me exploit all the nice things my FANATEC stuff offers, while AC does not...

I understood that SMS purchased laser scan data for the UK tracks (Brands, Snetterton, Oulton Park) as part of licensing those tracks. So the point cloud data would have come from the track owner.

That's the problem with Fanatec.

It is no secret that I'm not interested in Fanatec hardware, although I tried out the Fanatec clubsport shifter and it felt good. Also, August 5th of last year, I tried out the CSW V1 with the BMW rim. I wasn't impressed. The BMW rim is very nice though.

I think that you are the perfect candidate for a DD wheel. You are much more into racing than I am. I am much more interested in steering techniques, car control and stuff like that, altough I would like to do some trackdays myself. But my car isn't suited for trackdays.

To change the bounciness of the car, change this:

bounciness%20of%20cars%20in%20AC_zpstjakpnzi.png

Not sure if this is what you are looking for.

It has been a while since you drove PCars I guess. Or do you never leave track ? It is not because AI manages to overtake with two or more wheels on the grass, that the grass has "more" grip. Some issue with AI,not the grass. Just try...

BTW: ever watched iRacing series on TV ? You know the "REAL" sim with "the only right physics" ?
- Four cars next to each other approaching a 90° corner, two of them with the outside wheels on the grass. Leaving the corner all four still side by side :eek:
- several cars going trough the gravel with no speed loss :eek:
- a car being hit and flying over the trackside trees :scared:

There's no point discussing, Pcars physics are questionable at best.

Agreed, the support for this kind of stuff is very poor

And "unrealistic stuff" (controls) in PCars ? ... You mean ignitiion, start engine, wipers, headlights, brake bias, TC, ABS.... ? Yeah, really unrealistic...

How often are you starting your car ? Stall much ? Wiper's with no rain = no point, Headlights Check, Brake Bias Check. VERY much unrealistic ARB adjustment on Cars that dont have it= thank god AC doesn't have it.

Maybe Kunos should not even have bothered then...or...what is AC for ?

Ac was originally designed as a Hotlapping sim, there's no question about it. there was also a time when marco/Stefano thought the game would have MAX 15 cars and like 6 tracks. Things change over time, Some for the better, some for the worse....Its part of development.

They Failed to actually make a Laser scanned surface with their "laser scanned data" Ac's tracks have 1000% more feel and life to them, Pcars tracks are Flat and lifeless.....Yes there is telemetry/track data to back that up. I have No idea where you get the idea the kerbs aren't included in the scan, Nor why you seem to think that the track evolving IRL is important to the Digital version, Sure for the Pro's who want to practice the track, but the sheer track condition/feel wont change that drastically in the end which render's your point moot, That is unless your going to foot the bill to have thing's re scanned for the whole community.

So wait, let me get this strait, you actually come to a complete stop and adjust your Drivers eye POV when going up or down a Hill ? POV changes are done on the Keyboard as they are a Use it once, Save it and your good to go...There's no point in having the POV buttons on a button box, complete waste of 6+ buttons.

Not sure but I seem to have read that SMS' resources are even more limited.....

I would be hard pressed to believe that one.

You may have misunderstood me. AC has clearly some positive points and if I completely disliked it, I would not drive in it any more.
But I do like PCars better and when someone wants to break it down (as he does in other forums), just because he has some kind of aversion to it, I feel I have to reply. I am just as good entitled to my opinion.
I'm not breaking AC down, just pointing out the weak points (as well as I point out weak points of PCars).
Agreed ?

But my final point (and that is where I started) is that PCars lets me exploit all the nice things my FANATEC stuff offers, while AC does not...

You are entitled to your opinion, As am i. I just so happen to have a couple pieces of hardware that makes it easier to detect track detail and overall physics, Im not sitting at a Static desk with a FFB wheel and monitor as my only inputs as to whats going on with the car/track/physics.

Your the one who actually broke it down, Piece by piece. I just corrected you on the stuff you were wrong about. Thats all...Dont like it.....Sorry.

That's the problem with Fanatec.

It is no secret that I'm not interested in Fanatec hardware, although I tried out the Fanatec clubsport shifter and it felt good. Also, August 5th of last year, I tried out the CSW V1 with the BMW rim. I wasn't impressed. The BMW rim is very nice though.

I think that you are the perfect candidate for a DD wheel. You are much more into racing than I am. I am much more interested in steering techniques, car control and stuff like that, altough I would like to do some trackdays myself. But my car isn't suited for trackdays.
You can not compare the V1 to the actual V2 base. Always welcome to come and try...
DD wheels are higher priced than what I want to spend on them...

To change the bounciness of the car, change this:
Not sure if this is what you are looking for.
Indeed, but I already have that on 0...

Back