Fanatec Gran Turismo DD Pro

• Thread starter daan
  • 2,340 comments
What’s this hack I hear about that enables the plastic QR to be used on a DD1 in high torque mode?

On another note, I decided to load in Fanatec’s recommended GTS settings and use them in GT7. I liked them better

What’s this hack I hear about that enables the plastic QR to be used on a DD1 in high torque mode?
This is not recommended and will void your warranty, and it is not applicable to all steering wheels.
Keep in mind that I have seen broken QR1 Lite even with CSL DD 8Nm.

I have a feeling the DD Pro’s loose tolerances on the Quick Release has caused this 😬

Almost seems as if it’s been twisting the shaft of the steering wheel before hitting the edge of the Quick Release.

(see replies)
1667131276106.png

Last edited:
I have a feeling the DD Pro’s loose tolerances on the Quick Release has caused this 😬

Almost seems as if it’s been twisting the shaft of the steering wheel before hitting the edge of the Quick Release.

View attachment 1204488
That is not caused by "loose tolerances" on the Quick Release - that is caused when you tighten the screws around the pins too much, which is very obviously the case here because the whole silver ring is completely bent which can only be caused by too much force from the user.

That is not caused by "loose tolerances" on the Quick Release - that is caused when you tighten the screws around the pins too much, which is very obviously the case here because the whole silver ring is completely bent which can only be caused by too much force from the user.
Interesting, thanks for the insight.

When I was talking to Fanatec about a different wheel issue (my DD Pro eventually went in for RMA and I got a replacement) I was told to tighten the bolts around the pins, but without a torque meter it was hard to figure out how much pressure to apply. With the QR1 still attached I guess I couldn’t see that I was over-tightening them, as it blocks the view at the bottom 🤔

I’ll disassemble the wheel now and sort that. Do you think this wheel is still safe to use or is it done for? It’s 3 years old so out of warranty.

Probably better off getting a new wheel in fairness, would go for the McLaren GT3 V2 since it’s half the price and wasn’t available when I bought my Formula rim back then.

Last edited:
Over the last few weeks I've noticed that when my wheel is powered on and activated (say at the beginning of a race) it is ever so sightly wobbling. I can see it and only just feel it, when I move the wheel off center it goes back to center and then starts wobbling a bit. Is this a problem with the wheel or have I just not noticed it before?

Over the last few weeks I've noticed that when my wheel is powered on and activated (say at the beginning of a race) it is ever so sightly wobbling. I can see it and only just feel it, when I move the wheel off center it goes back to center and then starts wobbling a bit. Is this a problem with the wheel or have I just not noticed it before?
That’s normal if you use any kind of NFR.

Interesting, thanks for the insight.

When I was talking to Fanatec about a different wheel issue (my DD Pro eventually went in for RMA and I got a replacement) I was told to tighten the bolts around the pins, but without a torque meter it was hard to figure out how much pressure to apply. With the QR1 still attached I guess I couldn’t see that I was over-tightening them, as it blocks the view at the bottom 🤔

I’ll disassemble the wheel now and sort that. Do you think this wheel is still safe to use or is it done for? It’s 3 years old so out of warranty.

Probably better off getting a new wheel in fairness, would go for the McLaren GT3 V2 since it’s half the price and wasn’t available when I bought my Formula rim back then.
It might be done for. However, I'd keep using it until it breaks. Looking at the type of damage though I think you could extend its life with some form of supporting band around the damaged area - perhaps a jubilee clip used to secure pipes together, or something similar.

If you stop it splitting any further, it could last a long time.

I bought the McLaren V2 a few months ago and really like it. Not a fan of the shifter assembly so I've fitted the SimMakerz kit and it's so much better now.

PXL_20220820_111401973~2.jpg

It might be done for. However, I'd keep using it until it breaks. Looking at the type of damage though I think you could extend its life with some form of supporting band around the damaged area - perhaps a jubilee clip used to secure pipes together, or something similar.

If you stop it splitting any further, it could last a long time.
There’s not much space around the edge when you fit the Quick Release back on. I’ll try something out though and hope for the best.

I bought the McLaren V2 a few months ago and really like it. Not a fan of the shifter assembly so I've fitted the SimMakerz kit and it's so much better now.

View attachment 1205311
I looked at that over the weekend, and since Xbox doesn’t support the extra features of the V2 I may be tempted, assuming there’s a Black Friday discount.

Shifter mod looks very nice too, love the magnetic paddles on my V2 and have considered getting some for my WRC.

Last edited:
I haven’t updated to the latest Firmware, no.
I‘m still running the previous Firmware Version.
But what I actually did, although I’ve already done it a few Months ago, I spent lots of time tweaking the FFB and found my personal Sweet Spot.
From my personal experience and countless driving and testing the following Settings provide a sensational Feedback.

8NM Boost Kit

SEN: AUTO

FFB: 100

FFS: PEAK

NDP: 30

NFR: 10

NIN: 2

INT: 1

FEI: 100

FOR: 100

SPR: 100

DPR: 100

GT7 in Game Settings:

Force Feedback Max Torque: 5

Force Feedback Sensitivity: 1

I‘m absolutely sure you’ll enjoy them.

Quite confident that these might be THE best Possible Settings for experiencing GT7s‘ outstanding FFB Implementation.

Actually, anyone should try and use them.
They are awesome 🙂
Hi mate.

Are you still running these settings, or have you or anyone tweaked since, particularly as we've had a couple of updates...

Cheers

B80
Hi mate.

Are you still running these settings, or have you or anyone tweaked since, particularly as we've had a couple of updates...

Cheers
Hey Man,
I‘m still running these Settings.
Haven’t felt the need to tweak them any further as they feel excellent to me.
I’m getting all the available Information provided instantly and strong.

Hi,

I have a DD Pro 5nm. Does anyone made a good comparison between the 5nm and the 8nm boost kit on GT7? Does it help with the lack of details?
In canada, with taxes and customs, that upgrade alone is about 300$CA... and I don't want more power (I play at torque = 3 in GT7) but more details.
I was able to feel the gradual lost of grip in version 1.15 but with the current version, I can't feel much until it is too late and lose control.

Hi,

I have a DD Pro 5nm. Does anyone made a good comparison between the 5nm and the 8nm boost kit on GT7? Does it help with the lack of details?
In canada, with taxes and customs, that upgrade alone is about 300$CA... and I don't want more power (I play at torque = 3 in GT7) but more details.
I was able to feel the gradual lost of grip in version 1.15 but with the current version, I can't feel much until it is too late and lose control.
I recently upgraded. I was using torque 6 with the 5nm and my main feeling with the 8nm was more power (I lowered my setting to 5) but honestly I didn't notice any new level of detail with GT7, which I was hoping for too. I'm sure you get some but it's not a night and day thing, at least it wasn't for me.

What more power did do was enhance the QR1 Lite slip/clunk noise that many people have experienced and forced me to use the tape trick to stop it.

If you're only using 3 then I'd suggest a step up to 4 or 5 for a bit and see if that helps with control before buying. But if you do buy let us know if you feel a big difference!

With the boost kit and more power you will be able to feel understeer and ovesteer better. Also the already existing details in FFB will be stronger, but the boost kit is not magical and those details that are missing in GT7 will not appear, this should be fixed by the game developer.

Last edited:
I'm not sure about GT7 to be honest, as I got my boost kit before GT7 came out.
But I did have ACC on PS4 at the time. It's not just the max power that's different. Without the boost kit, everything feels a bit numb in comparison.

I'm not sure about GT7 to be honest, as I got my boost kit before GT7 came out.
But I did have ACC on PS4 at the time. It's not just the max power that's different. Without the boost kit, everything feels a bit numb in comparison.
Yep. The DD Pro was clearly designed with 8Nm in mind. Even when you dial back the 8Nm version it does not feel the same as the 5Nm.

This could mean that, if it is not already the case, GT7 should have two FFB profile for the DD Pro and auto-detect if a 5nm or 8nm base is connected.

I also play often with my controler honestly, since I don't have a permenant setup for my wheel and doesn't always feel like moving stuff around.

I think the feedback from the PS5 controller is more helpful to me than the DD Pro... which is frustrating to accept after putting that much money in that gear.

Maybe it is not Fanatec responsability in regards to GT7, but I hope that they take at heart the fact that a Gran Turismo branded bundle like the GT DD Pro doesn't seem the offer great FFB experience in GT7, even againts the PS5 controller.

I think many of us are hoping that Fanatec is also putting pressure on PD. Again, the fact that Thrustmaster gears are still used for the latest GT championship is telling something... but not sure what exactly since we are not behind the scene of any of those compagnies.

Last edited:
Polyphony Digital is a joke. Your Fanatec equipment is good. Believe me. I switched to PC and it's day and night with same gear.
I know it is good and that is why I bought it. But I only play GT, I am not a sim racer nor a PC gamer. So when I heard of the GT DD Pro rumors, I didn't bought the cheaper Thrustmaster T248 or T300 or Logitech G923 and I waited for that new Fanatec "official" playstation/Gran Turismo DD wheel, thinking that would be the best of the best for that particular game. (even better than the T-GT II for less money)

I am more disapointed by PD, but still think Fanatec as a responsability in this even if it is PD coding the game. They are the one selling that product with that specific licensing. (The GT logo is on the wheel rim!!)

Then again, who is giving money to whom for that licensing? Fanatec is giving Sony money for that playstation compatibility but is it Fanatec giving money to PD for that GT branding or PD giving money to Fanatec?

Anyway, I just need to accept that I made a mistake and should have waiting before buying that gear before GT7 came out. Maybe I will sell my DD Pro and get a cheaper one like the logitech g923 or thrustmaster t248. The boost kit alone is worth more than 50% of the price of those wheels.

Last edited:
Polyphony Digital is a joke. Your Fanatec equipment is good. Believe me. I switched to PC and it's day and night with same gear.
The joke is entirely on you and Fanatec for not understanding how PD made the force feedback. Unlike everyone else they actually paid attention to which forces should be felt through the wheel, and which through the car body. As a result for example kerbs don't give the feeling you've got used to because in reality they don't shake the wheel basically at all - they shake the car. PD figured this out and separated the effects to two distinct groups but Fanatec didn't build hardware to take advantage of it despite already seeing it in action in GT Sport. Meanwhile Logitech and Thrustmaster both did, with Trueforce and T-DFB respectively.

The joke is entirely on you and Fanatec for not understanding how PD made the force feedback. Unlike everyone else they actually paid attention to which forces should be felt through the wheel, and which through the car body. As a result for example kerbs don't give the feeling you've got used to because in reality they don't shake the wheel basically at all - they shake the car. PD figured this out and separated the effects to two distinct groups but Fanatec didn't build hardware to take advantage of it despite already seeing it in action in GT Sport. Meanwhile Logitech and Thrustmaster both did, with Trueforce and T-DFB respectively.
LOL, you should try ACC on PS5 to see where the problem is. And it's PD. So stop making a fool from yourself :)

LOL, you should try ACC on PS5 to see where the problem is. And it's PD. So stop making a fool from yourself :)
If you decide to believe that all the forces you feel through the wheel are realistic, you either have never driven a car and actually paid attention to what's happening or have so thick ACC glasses on that it overrides reality in your mind. I'm going with the latter guess. For decades games have had FFB effects that are nowhere near realistic but they feel nice and immersive so you've come to expect to feel them even when they shouldn't be there.

A very good example is hitting a transverse rut hard, in reality it doesn't cause much anything in the actual steering, it just sends an almighty jolt through the entire car. Every game (well, not GT7) gives a strong FFB effect in such a case even though laws of physics say there should be little to none because there's nothing that actually turns the wheel. That's what FFB is supposed to do, present the forces that are acting on the steering rack and causing the wheel to behave like it does. Another case is hitting a wall head on. Do you expect a FFB effect? Absolutely. Is there any external force turning the front wheels at the time of the impact that would cause the wheel to shake left or right? No. The result - there shouldn't be a FFB force, but if you happen to have a buttkicker it should hit you hard. That's what Trueforce and T-DFB do on a smaller scale, but Fanatec doesn't have anything like them so you don't get the effect you're expecting and immediately label it as bad FFB while it's in fact just different from the incorrect effects you're accustomed to.

Last edited:
I also think that PD seperated some feedback for those wheels. I tried the Logitech G923 last year and like you said it is probably the same effect that thrustmaster "reads" for the T-GT "shaker". I was also sad that this feature wasn't part of the new DD Pro.

But I think this is not a reason why they should not do a FFB profile adapted to those many wheels that doesn't have trueforce or T-DFB. In the list of wheels supported in GT7, only two have trueforce and one has T-DFB.

Anyhow, many commented, like me, their impression of the FFB when version 1.15 came out and this was proof that they could transmit more subtle information into the DD Pro, like the ones you get in trueforce.

Last edited:
I also think that PD seperated some feedback for those wheels. I tried the Logitech G923 last year and like you said it is probably the same effect that thrustmaster "reads" for the T-GT "shaker". I was also sad that this feature wasn't part of the new DD Pro.

But I think this is not a reason why they should not do a FFB profile adapted to those many wheels that doesn't have trueforce or T-DFB. In the list of wheels supported in GT7, only two have trueforce and one has T-DFB.

Anyhow, many commented, like me, their impression of the FFB when version 1.15 came out and this was proof that they could transmit more subtle information into the DD Pro, like the ones you get in trueforce.
One more option in GT7 would do it (with a slider)... road feel, like ACC has. Then let it be up to the user whether they want to run it or not.

And yes, when 1.15 came it out it was better for my T-GT too.

I have a DDpro 8. They have made changes in 1.27. Strength is up, damping seems lowered. Road texture is much more noticeable, but only when you turn the wheel off dead center (which as @Greycap notes would be expected IRL). Not back to the nuance of 1.15 tho. What‘s missing from that version is feedback from the tire behavior which is still pretty numb on the slicks.

Last edited:
FFB v1.15 was very good. And PD made the decision to change it back. Not Fanatic. So the PD is the one who is responsible. But at the end, I can thank them, because I quit sim racing on PS5 and started on PC which is much more better, more detailed, bigger communities, more games, better gear like rumble kits, bass shakers etc.

Then again, who is giving money to whom for that licensing? Fanatec is giving Sony money for that playstation compatibility but is it Fanatec giving money to PD for that GT branding or PD giving money to Fanatec?
The person who owns the intellectual property gets the money - so it's Sony in this case. Fanatec are sucking up the cost of a PS4/5 access licence for the wheelbase and a licence for the GT branding as it will sell them more hardware in the long run and that is their core business.

Any problems with force feedback in GT7 (in comparison to other racing titles) is 100% the responsibility of Polyphony.

I don't know if it is the new update or my new wheel stand that I got a few days ago. A "gt omega apex" that replaced a "wheel stand pro v2", which is sturdier and would technically prevent somme ffb from being lost in the not so stable wheel stand pro.

I didn't play with the new GT omega before the update so I can't say.
Do some of you use a buttkicker with GT7? I know it is not a easy setup to have with a console but in my case I think I be would able to install one since my console is connected to a integrated amplifier, which have a line out that could be connected to the buttkicker amp. (Need to research that though to be sure)

Wondering if that would give the feedback that the DD Pro can't provide.

Back