Fanatec Podium Direct Drive Wheel Bases Thread

• Thread starter super_gt
  • 3,718 comments
On console I've tried AC and GT Sport, I also have PC2 but haven't gotten that far yet. In my experience it's a nice step up from the T500 I had before, but the way people have talked up DDs on the Internet made me expect perhaps a tiny bit more (anyone else seen that Youtube vid which asks whether DDs are the same as "cheating"?).

Its faster to react, has less mechanical resistance that interfere with FFB, it's stronger, which gives you more feel and it doesn't seem to oscillate on the straights as the T500 did. But it doesn't feel revolutionary to me. As relates to performance in a race, it does allow me to catch slides easier and in most cases it also allows me to stay closer to the edge thanks to it's faster reaction speeds and increased feel, although this is something which I need more training for in order to be able to fully exploit, something I haven't had the time to do yet (been busy).

All in all I'm happy with my purchase and have no regrets. It's a good solid step, but no great leap. But apparently we still haven't seen everything these bases can do as they will continue to improve with firmware and software.

The best experiences I've had regarding FFB is with PC sims though, especially iRacing. That's the only sim where I so far have been able to actually compare lap times and I've managed to improve by almost a second at some tracks. I'm usually less than a second off Martin Krönke now.

And I have to say, I'm still in the process of dialing in the FFB fully to my liking. I expect it get even better once I'm done with that. I'd fully recommend the buy if you can afford it.

Thanks for the well thought out answer. It's kind of what I had expected. A noticeable good difference, but not revolutionary yet is what I seem to keep hearing elsewhere too.
I can definitely afford the purchase, but even with that, I hate to spend, if what you're spending it on, is premature to give you the WOW factor. I would like to get away from the "adapter" eco-system and have a true plug and play solution with FANATEC. That alone seems worth it to me =)

Thanks again guys for the feedback! =)

Podium DD1 with Mclaren GT3 wheel getting "Torque is reduced to prevent damage on the simplified quick release adapter" when I am using the metal Clubsport Quick release adapter on the wheel?? Anyone else had this issue or suggestions on what to check (just got my Mclaren wheel back from service and it was not getting this error previously - just had intermittent shift issues)

Podium DD1 with Mclaren GT3 wheel getting "Torque is reduced to prevent damage on the simplified quick release adapter" when I am using the metal Clubsport Quick release adapter on the wheel?? Anyone else had this issue or suggestions on what to check (just got my Mclaren wheel back from service and it was not getting this error previously - just had intermittent shift issues)
When you open the fanatec wheel property page does it show a picture of the clubsport quick release to the right of the picture of the Mclaren Rim? If not then I don't think the clubsport quick release is being recognised by the wheel.

Do we know if F1 2019 will have native DD1 support or will we need to keep using CSW 2.5 compatibility mode? Also is ACC running in PC mode?

Also I've noticed that if I forget to turn the wheelbase on before starting a game or if I have it in the wrong mode (PC mode for F1 2018 for example) I have to put the DD1 in the appropriate mode (PC vs CSW 2.5 compatibility mode) and close the software down and restart the game in order for the wheel to be recognized. Not sure if this will be fixed with future firmware updates.

Do we know if F1 2019 will have native DD1 support or will we need to keep using CSW 2.5 compatibility mode? Also is ACC running in PC mode?

Also I've noticed that if I forget to turn the wheelbase on before starting a game or if I have it in the wrong mode (PC mode for F1 2018 for example) I have to put the DD1 in the appropriate mode (PC vs CSW 2.5 compatibility mode) and close the software down and restart the game in order for the wheel to be recognized. Not sure if this will be fixed with future firmware updates.
I would think all future release will have native support. And ACC can be run in PC mode but any multidirection switches on a wheel base wont work.

Don't think it will be fixed in a future firmware update. What you are doing is effectively unplugging one steering wheel and plugging a completely different steering wheel. I can't think of any games that would like that.

When you open the fanatec wheel property page does it show a picture of the clubsport quick release to the right of the picture of the Mclaren Rim? If not then I don't think the clubsport quick release is being recognised by the wheel.

No, the Clubsport QRA image is not there on my wheel property page - not being recognized for some reason. what triggers it being recognized - any way to override?

No, the Clubsport QRA image is not there on my wheel property page - not being recognized for some reason. what triggers it being recognized - any way to override?
It just shows up if a clubsport quick release is connected. At least that's what happened with mine. Maybe remove it, refit it and see it if appears. If not I guess you'll need to contact support again unfortunately.

There is a switch behind the Clubport QRA, take off the Clubport QRA and make sure the QRA activates it

Or vice versa, the tab is on CSL QRA then make sure that the switch is not activated

Last edited:
I see on the back of the wheel rim where the standard adapter would depress a switch in a recessed hole when it is installed but not the clubsport QRA. I depressed the "flap" multiple times to make sure it was not stuck open but no change....smh guess I need to RMA again.

In terms of the Fanatec recommended settings for F1 2018/2019 it says that ABS & BRF are user preference based - does anyone know what these settings are / do they make a big difference / are there recommended settings?

@DomB_Fanatec are there any plans to post recommended settings for Kart Kraft?

In terms of the Fanatec recommended settings for F1 2018/2019 it says that ABS & BRF are user preference based - does anyone know what these settings are / do they make a big difference / are there recommended settings?

ABS activates vibration motors in brake pedal and steering wheel if you have this in your steering wheel / pedals
BRF is how hard you have to step on the brake pedal to reach the max brake

I would think all future release will have native support. And ACC can be run in PC mode but any multidirection switches on a wheel base wont work.

Don't think it will be fixed in a future firmware update. What you are doing is effectively unplugging one steering wheel and plugging a completely different steering wheel. I can't think of any games that would like that.
F1 2019 beta does NOT have native DD support so I highly doubt they patch them correctly into the game. That's Codemasters, sigh. Not even the MPS work at this moment or the upper Advanced Paddle Module Paddles .... It's incredible what Codemasters delivers.

Strange I also have this combo and its still working also with high torque. I'm afraid you have to indeed contact support again.

Strange I also have this combo and its still working also with high torque. I'm afraid you have to indeed contact support again.
no, he just have to detach the QR and push the pin contact plate a few times in. Seems it got stuck somehow and therefore the Base still thinks the Wheel is equipped with the plastik QR which pushes down this pin.

On console I've tried AC and GT Sport, I also have PC2 but haven't gotten that far yet. In my experience it's a nice step up from the T500 I had before, but the way people have talked up DDs on the Internet made me expect perhaps a tiny bit more (anyone else seen that Youtube vid which asks whether DDs are the same as "cheating"?).

Its faster to react, has less mechanical resistance that interfere with FFB, it's stronger, which gives you more feel and it doesn't seem to oscillate on the straights as the T500 did. But it doesn't feel revolutionary to me. As relates to performance in a race, it does allow me to catch slides easier and in most cases it also allows me to stay closer to the edge thanks to it's faster reaction speeds and increased feel, although this is something which I need more training for in order to be able to fully exploit, something I haven't had the time to do yet (been busy).

All in all I'm happy with my purchase and have no regrets. It's a good solid step, but no great leap. But apparently we still haven't seen everything these bases can do as they will continue to improve with firmware and software.

The best experiences I've had regarding FFB is with PC sims though, especially iRacing. That's the only sim where I so far have been able to actually compare lap times and I've managed to improve by almost a second at some tracks. I'm usually less than a second off Martin Krönke now.

And I have to say, I'm still in the process of dialing in the FFB fully to my liking. I expect it get even better once I'm done with that. I'd fully recommend the buy if you can afford it.

That sounds about right to me. Certainly I don't think anything will feel as revolutionary as changing from a controller to a wheel in terms of immersion and control. When I upgraded from my G25 to T-GT I didn't notice that much laptime improvements. Probably helped me more consistent and reach the limit of grip quicker, so I could spend more time on seeking the perfect lap. But if you give me enough time in the G25 the ultimate laptime will be the same. In terms of drifting, it actually made me worse because of the higher internal resistance.

IMO, if you want to upgrade to DD, do it because you have the spare cash and are really dedicated to this hobby, or your old wheel dies and you're looking for the next step. Don't do it because you're looking for that magic bullet that will make you an esports champion, because you'll be disappointed.

The official Fanatec answer at the moment is: „We‘ve given the developers all the SDK one could wish for, now it‘s up to them to properly implement those in their game.“ :indiff: Hope dies last... :lol:

The official Fanatec answer at the moment is: „We‘ve given the developers all the SDK one could wish for, now it‘s up to them to properly implement those in their game.“ :indiff: Hope dies last... :lol:
They will natually prioritize wheels that have the biggest market share. Considering that, Fanatec will have to do more than just give them the SDK. Podium market share is so marginal, that developer is not interested to invest time to please maybe a few hundred users, when it can use that time working on things that matter to the much much bigger percentage of the playerbase.

@DomB_Fanatec are there any plans to post recommended settings for Kart Kraft?
Yes, we'll be adding a few more games to the list soon.

F1 2019 beta does NOT have native DD support so I highly doubt they patch them correctly into the game. That's Codemasters, sigh. Not even the MPS work at this moment or the upper Advanced Paddle Module Paddles .... It's incredible what Codemasters delivers.
Actually F1 2019 already has some optimisations for direct drive, they have been using Podium wheel bases for development for some time. (This is not indicated as a specific preset - there are improvements to the FFB output in general.) It is also one of the first games to implement FlagLED functionality on the new-gen Fanatec formula wheels.

Yes, we'll be adding a few more games to the list soon.

Actually F1 2019 already has some optimisations for direct drive, they have been using Podium wheel bases for development for some time. (This is not indicated as a specific preset - there are improvements to the FFB output in general.) It is also one of the first games to implement FlagLED functionality on the new-gen Fanatec formula wheels.
Unfortunately F1 2019 beta, at least for now, still has to be used with CSW v2.5 compatibility mode because PC Mode has no Preset and when trying to create a custom controller then the Pedals will always be pressed 50% so it's impossible to use. I hope you can put some pressure on them to force them to implement the Podium DD Device IDs for official Presets so the pc mode can be used...
FlagLEDs however are pretty cool with white pitlane leds, yellow leds for yellow flag and blue leds for blue flag. But other than that they didn't implemented anything new, MPS are still not working (at least the right one has no function, left one can be used in Encoder mode), APM upper Paddles are not working... So other than FlagLEDs (which are nice) nothing new in F1 2019 for now :(

Unfortunately F1 2019 beta, at least for now, still has to be used with CSW v2.5 compatibility mode because PC Mode has no Preset
This is true, but there is also no performance penalty in using V2.5 mode. It is purely an ID detection, the wheel is not operating 'like a V2.5' in this mode, it is running at identical fidelity to 'PC Mode'. The DD optimisations are already in place. In terms of full MPS and APM support, we are in regular contact with Codemasters to try to make this happen.

@DomB_Fanatec
Do you know if the podium hub being announced on May 28 has bigger magnets?

I miss the feeling the Ascher Racing paddle shifters gave me in my last wheel I was using, the magnets are bigger and therefore give you a nice strong feeling along with a very satisfying snap every time you change gears (almost as satisfying as beating Thanos with a snap, lol) and I was hopping for the same with the PS4 DD F1 wheel that came in the package with magnets included but they are a little smaller and don’t feel close to the Ascher Racing ones.

@DomB_Fanatec

I miss the feeling the Ascher Racing paddle shifters gave me in my last wheel I was using, the magnets are bigger and therefore give you a nice strong feeling along with a very satisfying snap every time you change gears (almost as satisfying as beating Thanos with a snap, lol) and I was hopping for the same with the PS4 DD F1 wheel that came in the package with magnets included but they are a little smaller and don’t feel close to the Ascher Racing ones.
The Hub ist just the Hub where you can attach the Podium Advanced Paddle Module (and ClubSport Quick Release Adapter and Button Plates etc) - so no, there wont be any magnet in the Hub because it does not include any Shifter Paddles.

As SimRacer925 says, the Podium Hub is the central modular component. The Podium Advanced Paddle Module is a separate component.

I see, I was hoping it would be like a button plate with buttons and bigger magnets in the shifters where all you would need would be a wheel rim, oh well I doubt the advanced paddle module will be changed in the near future to include bigger magnets

Random question but when you're navigating through a challenging turn and you're meeting resistance is this technically simulating the tire grip? It's super realistic on the DD1 and I feel like it's one of the main reasons why my laps have become far more consistent... just wasn't sure on the right terminology. I could use a primer on all of the different types of force feedback that the DD1 offers... I plan on doing a detailed review at some point and it's hard to put into words all of the detailed physical forces that you feel when driving.

@DomB_Fanatec

Can't you replace the magnets with others that are the same diameter but to be thicker?
That should give a stronger feeling.

Can't you replace the magnets with others that are the same diameter but to be thicker?
That should give a stronger feeling.
Maybe?
I don’t know, the current ones are not bad so I will keep them like that since it would bother me if the magnets were sticking out in the back of the wheel

Last edited:
Random question but when you're navigating through a challenging turn and you're meeting resistance is this technically simulating the tire grip? It's super realistic on the DD1 and I feel like it's one of the main reasons why my laps have become far more consistent... just wasn't sure on the right terminology. I could use a primer on all of the different types of force feedback that the DD1 offers... I plan on doing a detailed review at some point and it's hard to put into words all of the detailed physical forces that you feel when driving.
It depends on the sim (several factors contribute to the final signal), but yes, it all boils down to tyre grip. A car travelling at speed naturally wants to continue in a straight line, and by applying a steering input you will be met with some resistance as you create a 'slip angle' where the rubber meets the road. The grip of the contact patch of the front tyres wants to pull them straight - this is aligning torque. The reason why the Podium bases are very good at this is due to the high holding torque performance - meaning that when the car 'loads up' in a long corner, you feel a very strong, consistent resistance.

If you apply too much slip angle, you create understeer, which results in less aligning torque and less resistance against your steering effort. With less powerful wheels, the initial resistance is not strong enough, and the drop in resistance during understeer is less obvious, so drivers tend to apply too much steering angle in corners without realising it, which typically results is slower lap times.

Back