Fanatec Podium Direct Drive Wheel Bases Thread

• Thread starter super_gt
  • 3,718 comments
Simlab will crossover with fanatec
Podium bracket on 40120 profile
2E57431B-5B27-4880-826C-00A4E5081304.jpeg

Yes, we'll be adding a few more games to the list soon.

Actually F1 2019 already has some optimisations for direct drive, they have been using Podium wheel bases for development for some time. (This is not indicated as a specific preset - there are improvements to the FFB output in general.) It is also one of the first games to implement FlagLED functionality on the new-gen Fanatec formula wheels.
thanks i learned something here.
Grid 2 is free on steam. i wonder if it supports wheels

Hey @DomB_Fanatec I tried to run the Fanatec wheel control panel and I received the following message: "there is a problem setting up the wheel control panel - please reconnect the device and try again" - really weird since everything is connected and working perfectly in game.

So after having to wait 2 weeks to get my replacement DD1 (power button issue RMA), today I finally received my package.
When I saw the box and noticed how small it was I immediatly realized they sent me the wrong package.

I didn't even bother to open it, I've noticed someones handwriting with an RMA number on the box so I guess they switched packages somehow.

Really really frustrating, I probably won't have it before the weekend now. :(:(:(

@DomB_Fanatec FYI

Hey @DomB_Fanatec I tried to run the Fanatec wheel control panel and I received the following message: "there is a problem setting up the wheel control panel - please reconnect the device and try again" - really weird since everything is connected and working perfectly in game.
Please check that Windows updates are installed, then try a clean install of the driver (uninstalling the old driver first). You could also try a different USB port or different USB cable. If you are still having this issue please contact support.

@Dev Nibor I've sent you a PM.

@DomB_Fanatec I'll try re-installing the driver ... what is the procedure for uninstalling the current driver from windows 10? Also will any USB cable work or does it use a proprietary cable?

@DomB_Fanatec I'll try re-installing the driver ... what is the procedure for uninstalling the current driver from windows 10? Also will any USB cable work or does it use a proprietary cable?
Start menu > Settings > System > Apps & Features > find Fanatec driver > uninstall. Or you can bring up the original Control Panel and find it under Add/Remove Programs as with previous Windows versions.

The USB cable is standard, but the one provided is of a high quality with ferrite cores and it should be replaced with something similar. If your cable needs replacing, then we can send you one. This is highly unlikely, as you say everything is working in game. It sounds like your issue is Windows related.

Thanks @DomB_Fanatec ! I'll try that tonight. I'm also getting a really high pitched noise being emitted from the motor after I turn it off and I essentially have to unplug the unit to make the sound go away - I'm addressing with Fanatec tech support and will take a video of it tonight .. not sure if this is a common issue... otherwise I love the unit so I'm hoping it does not need to be exchanged.

Is it coming from the motor or the PSU?

Hey Shinu I'm going to figure this out tonight - it's actually not clear but I know I'm not crazy because it annoyed the **** out of my girlfriend to the point that she asked where the annoying noise was coming from. I addressed it with Dom but if it's the power supply I'll get a new one.

Thanks @DomB_Fanatec ! I'll try that tonight. I'm also getting a really high pitched noise being emitted from the motor after I turn it off and I essentially have to unplug the unit to make the sound go away - I'm addressing with Fanatec tech support and will take a video of it tonight .. not sure if this is a common issue... otherwise I love the unit so I'm hoping it does not need to be exchanged.
I've heard other reports of it coming from the PSU.

I've heard other reports of it coming from the PSU.

My PSU definitely whines at a high pitch. Does disappear though when I power everything down.

Is it not suppose to make a sound?

Side question, anyone know where I can set the LED on my formula 2018 to show gears only in F1 2018?

My PSU also does this, but it goes away once I start using the wheel, so I haven't bothered to do anything about it yet. But if it means it might eventually fail then maybe I should replace it. Does anyone know whether that's the case?

My PSU also does this, but it goes away once I start using the wheel, so I haven't bothered to do anything about it yet. But if it means it might eventually fail then maybe I should replace it. Does anyone know whether that's the case?

No it shouldn't be anything to worry about. It's known as coil whine, when you pass an electrical current through electromagnetic coils it can make them resonate(vibrate) producing a high pitch whining noise in the process. Often it's outside humans audible range but can drive your dog mad.....

GPU's (graphics cards) are big culprits of producing coil whine but any domestic electrical appliance can suffer from noisy coils..... I wouldn't worry unless it's driving you up the wall...……… then seek help lol.

The Podium PS4 Edition must be selling well. The second batch seems to have sold out. I just tried to order one for the May 31 ship date in the US, and the ship date now says AUGUST 16. DOH!

Hi, I'll be soon a Podium owner as I'm waiting for the next batch.
I have a question I couldn't find an answer for.

As a "rally games" player, I enjoy experimenting with the 2.5 drift setting.
The setting is gone in the Podium.
Why? Will I be still able to adjust the feeling as I do on the 2.5 using different settings?

Any comment on how the Podium feels compared to the 2.5 on RBR and Dirt Rally games?
Thanks in advance.

Why? Will I be still able to adjust the feeling as I do on the 2.5 using different settings?

Any comment on how the Podium feels compared to the 2.5 on RBR and Dirt Rally games?
Thanks in advance.
Hi Maximino, there is no drift mode on the Podium Series Tuning Menu, as there is no need for it. The positive drift settings on the V2.5 adds artificial acceleration, which is not necessary on the Podium base as it is already extremely fast. You will only want to slow it down, not speed it up, which is why we added Natural Damper and Natural Friction settings instead. The Natural Damper acts similarly to the negative values of the V2.5 drift mode, but over a much finer range, and Natural Friction acts more like a constant 'brake' on the shaft. There is more adjustability on the Podium Series than the ClubSport Series.

I haven't found a single game that doesn't benefit from the Podium Series performance, so I think you will be happy! :)

Thanks in advance.
This thread may interest you - check out the posts made by Winston Ang

The new wheel mount option for Fanatec DD1/2 is now available for SimLab P1-X Chassis so it is very likely that it will be possible in the future to buy as a stand-alone product.

P1-X-sim-racing-cockpit-6-edit.jpg
Seems like a good solution for mounting button boxes etc.

Wow the Sim Labs chassis is a work of art - love it.

Has anyone been able to map all of the buttons on an F1 wheel for Assetto Corsa Compezione? The game developers really need to make the process easier for getting the DD1 set up correctly - it's so easy in iRacing - all the other devs need to catch up.

I hope I am not speaking too soon , but it would seem that any teething issues with the DD have been sorted out, it seems the power button issues was the worst one and I have only read of maybe a dozen cases of it. Hopefully it is smooth sailing for everyone, including fanatec from here on in

Is there any solution for the sensitive braking with the CSL LC's plugged into the DD1? I really don't want to have to remove my pedals and take up another USB port on my computer to fix the problem. Been racing for awhile now with little not no brake control due to how sensitive it is even at 100% BFR.

Also I have random issues where the brake will stay engaged at a small percentage. Literally cost me a race yesterday. The issue started during use (was fine until mid race) and went away when I restarted the wheel. Is there an auto calibration issue with the LC and the base or do I just have a defective load cell or something? The wheel has been great but these pedals issues are very frustrating. Glad I have some Sprints on the way...

I hope I am not speaking too soon , but it would seem that any teething issues with the DD have been sorted out, it seems the power button issues was the worst one and I have only read of maybe a dozen cases of it. Hopefully it is smooth sailing for everyone, including fanatec from here on in
Yeah that seemed to be the biggest issue, although I did see a pair of guys over a Reddit saying their USBs on the DD base dying all of a sudden.

Back