Fast and Furious Crossroads Announced: Coming to PC, PS4, and Xbox One May 2020

This is a company that offered an olive branch to Rushy and Evolution, offered them the ability to make any game they wanted...then did absolutely no advertising for said game, didn't explain to the general racing game populace what the idea for said racing game was, let the game die, and then subsequently shuttered Evolution, arguably only to get a hold on Evolution's weather tech.

Considering we are dealing with the modern Codemasters here, a company as craven and as unfeeling as people like to accuse EA of, it's certainly not out of the realm of possibility to have SMS' as a studio's future on the line over an F&F game.

I really liked Onrush personally (although it took a few hours with the trial to convince me), but the whole project was a disaster. The only hype came when the game was first announced and since then most racing fans were asking why wasn't there traditional racing in the game.

I'm not into conspiracy theories so I won't say that Codemasters allowed the game to flop on purpose. Maybe it was caused by a very limited budget, maybe some people from Codemasters didn't step up in time when the gameplay core was still being discussed...

This is a company that offered an olive branch to Rushy and Evolution, offered them the ability to make any game they wanted...then did absolutely no advertising for said game, didn't explain to the general racing game populace what the idea for said racing game was, let the game die, and then subsequently shuttered Evolution, arguably only to get a hold on Evolution's weather tech.

Considering we are dealing with the modern Codemasters here, a company as craven and as unfeeling as people like to accuse EA of, it's certainly not out of the realm of possibility to have SMS' as a studio's future on the line over an F&F game.

Wait, what? The guys from Evolution Studios aren't with Codemasters anymore? So you're telling me that after one game (OnRush), Codemasters pulled the plug, no different than Activision pulling the plug on Bizarre Creations after having made Blur?

...Do you see where I'm going with this? That's now two publishing/development studios that I couldn't care less for moving forward.

Codemaster spent a significant amount of money to hire the entire Evolution to make a game and it failed, they shut Evolution down by decapitating the heads of that branch (seniors and executives). Rushy left Codemasters then went to SMS but he is back with the publisher that fired him now. Fast and Furious Crossroads is in a different situation with Codemasters since the game has been made without Codemasters resource, I don't think the failure of this will kill off SMS but if pCARS 3/Revolution fail is more likely.

What a pathetic Trailer.

Yes, SMS is not a Big Budget Studio, i get that. But this is not a excuse for how terrible this Trailer looks on so many

Hey, @IanBell ! :lol:
https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/thre...xbox-one-may-2020.391307/page-2#post-12956755

firefly.gif

Ubisoft called they want their Wheelman Vin Diesel back. Those graphics looked good about 10 years ago, Hell wasn't Fast and Furious popular like 20 years ago back when Underground 2 was a thing?

The release of the video game was supposed to coincide with the movie, so I wouldn't be surprised if Crossroads has been delayed by a year. Releasing this game based on the previews we've seen on current-gen platforms in 2021 is a sales bomb waiting to happen, I'm not sure where SMS plans to go from here.

How suspiciously convienient for them to release the first gameplay after months of radio silence.

And damn it looks awful.

Yeah, this ain't it chief.

On the bright side, this hasn't been delayed too much so the SMS Studio can focus their attention on Project CARS Revolution sooner! ;)

Are they using their Madness Engine? There's always something off about the look of Project Cars. And this game pretty much demonstrates all of the flaws of their engine. It looks flat and it feels like the game belongs in early PS3 era.

Last edited:
Are they using their Madness Engine? There's always something off about the look of Project Cars. And this game pretty much demonstrates all of the flaws of their engine. It looks flat and it feels like the game belongs in early PS3 era.

Yeah, that's the first thing I also thought. That kind of soft glow with haze on everything is very PS3 era. It looks really dated, not even late PS3 dated.

suspiciously convenient what lmao

Also... it just looks on par visually to most racing gmaes out there once you actually play them.

It's put up or shut up time for Slightly Mad. If they're going on about how their pad handling model has changed for the better in PCARS Revolution or whatever, then they had better have put it in this game, otherwise, you're going to see whatever interest people might have in F&F Crossroads evaporate quicker then you can blink, and have it trickle down to PCARS Revolution too.
Buy a wheel. Why do studios have to make a game for pad users?

Buy a wheel. Why do studios have to make a game for pad users?

Considering the vast majority of racing game fans, sim or otherwise, that don't spend their time on racing game forums like this site, don't have the space, or more importantly, the money to blow on a $300 plus wheel at minimum alongside pedals - it would be nice to have a developer at least make pad controls that are decent enough for people to enjoy out of the box, instead of having to fiddle with settings that they do not understand (nor should they!) in order to get somewhat decent settings out of it. Especially prevalent when the developer in question has had problems with this exact same issue, going back years by this point! This isn't even an issue of 'making a game for pad users', it's offering actually decent pad controls for those that don't have sim racing equipment out of the box - and not simply just paying lip service and forcing people to fiddle with settings they don't understand in order to get something that doesn't feel like bars of soap on ice.

Or you could just get onto a high horse and show off that gate keeping complex that is oh so typical for sim racing fans, that demand that people buck up the cash for enthusiast equipment in order to have a voice at the table.

I understand that SMS being bought and Covid-19 will obviously affect things.

I also think one or two of the missions in that trailer kinda look fun.

However, this just looks ..... really low budget.

somehow it looks worse than SHIFT visually and I'm not too sure do people even like game like this in racing games. The scripted missions in NFS back then was annoying as hell to me.

You would have thought given its a billion dollar franchise more money could have been put into making it something more polished. You usually see this kind of work with individual movie specific tie in's, the ones that are usually terrible that exist purely as a marketing tool. I guess it might be fun to play at least, that's if anyone actually buys it first!

Back