favorite drummer and best drummerMusic 

• Thread starter Bam
  • 171 comments
Feels surreal to even type this, but RIP Nick Menza.
Gone much too soon. That ain't no age to die.

Here's one of my favorite quotes by Nick. Towards the end when he shares his "fast food wisdom" with us.

"I'll tell ya the trick to ordering at McDonald's is ordering with extra or without something. So you get fresh food."

No truer words were ever spoken.
I ate a Big Mac today in honor of Nick and I have Rust playing in the car.

May favourite drummer is Travis Barker from Blink 182, he might not be the best in the world but his magic is what made some of the most loved songs of the late 90's and early 00's memorable.

Language warning...

One of my all-time favorite studio performances by a drummer is by Dave Holland
on Heading Out to the Highway on the Judas Priest album Point of Entry.
I was pretty shocked to learn about his imprisonment and the crime he did
time for (I just read it on Wikipedia), but I can still enjoy Highway because Dave
just simply kills it on that track.

Another favorite drummer is Cozy Powell. Once you hear that ending to
Kill The King for the first time you'll never forget it.

Favourite: Travis Barker. His drumming on Letters To God by Box Car Racer is one of his many gems. Check out this guy's cover of the piece:

There's no video of Travis actually playing the song on YouTube but you can see the talent in the video above, even if it is someone else playing Travis' part.

Best: Buddy Rich. Born to play from a young age, drumming was in his very DNA. This guy never lost speed and talent, even just before he died. Timeless.

A video of Buddy playing a solo in his later years:

Favorite: Bonzo
Best: Bonzo

I still remember seeing this version of Moby Dick for the first time and being absolutely amazed. The whole thing is worth watching in my opinion, but watching him at 14:02 still gives me goosebumps to this day.

Honorable mentions to Keith Moon, Ginger Baker, Neil Peart and Buddy Rich.

Well, Buddy Rich is definitely not my cup of tea.
I'd recommend Hamid Drake, Michael Zerang, Charles Hayward, Joey Baron, Yoshigaki Yasuhiro, Horacio Hernandez, and a recent favorite Nate Smith. And allow me to advertise the drumming skills of my dear wife Maki999 from HB and other units as well... again.

Tommy Lee..Motley Crue. Maybe not the best, but he's my favorite. 👍 Even named my son after him. Frankie Banali of Quiet Riot fame is my second.

Tommy Lee..Motley Crue. Maybe not the best, but he's my favorite. 👍 Even named my son after him. Frankie Banali of Quiet Riot fame is my second.
people underestimate tommys drumming.he is one solid cat behind the kit , him and mick were the talented ones ...the other two well not so much old vince struggles to put 3 words together but at least he is still out there doing his own shows having fun.nikki sixx on the other hand.... hmmm well lol.
and Frankie can pound them skins

Super happy to see a lot of well educated drummers and drum fans out there!! :)

Most of my favourites have been mentioned: Peart, Moon, Bonham, Rich etc...

Being an active drummer i am always on the hunt for new material to learn and styles to view! My latest favourite is Reuben Gingrich specifically with the band The Main Squeeze, not my usual genre but variety is the spice of life!!

I love Keith Moon, Bonham, Neil Peart(he's great, but I think he's a little overrated), Vinnie Paul, and others..

...but my favorite, and who I think is the best, is Daney Carey of Tool. The stuff he does, his rhythm and his timing signatures are insane. Just an all around bad ass on the drums.

He's like Zeus playing the drums. :)

I can easily say my favorite is Andy Sturmer, drummer and lead singer of Jellyfish. Best is considerably more difficult--perhaps:

Niel-_Playing-_His-_Black-_Slingerland.jpg

Antarctica doesn't have many Drummers, but Brad Roberts is my favourite.

Best drummer, (Outside of Antarctica) maybe,, Doktor Avalanche - the guy never misses a beat. Relentless.

I've always loved this particular drum lick (better than the original):

Kicks in around 20s... comes back to that the whole song. Around 1:40 is another good example. I also love how this song just turns on its head in the end.

So the best drummer I have ever seen (and I've watched some of the videos in here) was seeing Maynard Ferguson live in concert. I'll never find it, but this will give you a feel for Maynard's music with some decent drumming:

The guy I saw in concert was doing a ton of polyrhythmic stuff in his solos which just blew my mind. He would drop an elbow here and there to change pitch. None of it was just earth shattering, but it was all done so seamlessly and professionally. I was more impressed with that than I have been with any other drumming.

Last edited:
I've just been through the thread from the beginning--some may notice likes to very old posts, I had no idea how far back this thread went--and I'm a little bummed to not see Alan White of Yes mentioned. Sure, I didn't mention him either, but still...

:P

I'm not very educated about drumming. Copeland is my favourite drummer. Not sure about the best but Billy Cobham and Dave Lombardo seem pretty good.

There's no doubt that Neil Peart is my absolute favourite... just look at my username. I also like Mike Portnoy (old drummer of Dream Theater), and Danny Carey (Tool) from a skill standpoint. In terms of who can really feel the music, I think Carter Beauford of Dave Matthews Band is one drummer who can really put a lot of feel and emotion into a song.

I'm always a sucker for polyrhythmic drumming. Here's a tutorial for the uninitiated:

Starting at 14 min he builds up the last polyrhythm.

My favourite drummer as Matt Cameron from Soundgarden. Think he's in Pearl Jam too?

From a technical standpoint the best drummer I've heard anything of is probably Joey Jordison of Slipknot.

Back