Favorite quotes

He said this specifically talking about the professional wrestling industry but I think this is a great quote that applies to many walks of life.

Lou Albano
There's only two things real in this business, kid; the money and the miles.

"It's always about you next move innit, really?"
"Isn't it just."

- Ronnie O'Sullivan
- Victoria "Vicki" Jemma Butler-Henderson

"You don't seem to understand. I'm not locked in here with you. You're locked in here with me!"

rorschach___watchmen_by_liquid_skin-d1x1s26.jpg

The moral of “The Three Bears,” for instance, is “Never break into someone else’s house.” The moral of “Snow White” is “Never eat apples.” The moral of World War One is “Never assassinate Arch-duke Ferdinand.”

Lemony Snicket - The Wide Window

"I do not believe in honors. The prize is the pleasure of finding the thing out, the kick in the discovery, the observation that other people use it."

- Richard P Feynman

"I do not believe in honors. The prize is the pleasure of finding the thing out, the kick in the discovery, the observation that other people use it."

- Richard P Feynman

Here is another profound quip from Feynman, on Calculus: "It’s the language God talks."

Here is another profound quip from Feynman, on Calculus: "It’s the language God talks."
Not quite, but it's a decent enough approximation for most practical purposes :D

Edit: God does not care about our mathematical difficulties. He integrates empirically. - Albert Einstein

Last edited:
"If you can create Heaven for yourself without creating Hell for somebody else, fine."

--Andy Partridge

" Every soul is like a rainfrop that falls from the sky into one vast ocean of consciousness. Most raindrops hit the surface and make a small ripple that fades away, but some ripples become waves."
Unknown (at least to me)

General U.S. Grant on meeting Robert E. Lee to accept surrender of the Confederate army. I want you to drink in the range that this sentence covers:

"I felt like anything rather than rejoicing at the downfall of a foe who had fought so long and valiantly, and had suffered so much for a cause, though that cause was, I believe, one of the worst for which a people ever fought, and one for which there was the least excuse."

Basically encapsulates the civil war.

"Every time I think he can't go any lower, he makes a fool of me" - Christopher Hitchens

I don't know if he was quoting someone else, but that's the first time I'd heard it said.

"For happily the Government of the United States gives to bigotry no sanction, to persecution no assistance, requires only that they who live under its protection should demean themselves as good citizens, in giving it on all occasions their effectual support."

--George Washington

I've known of the "...to bigotry no sanction..." bit for ages and I'm certain I've learned of the greater context at some point, so I should say that I was recently reminded of that greater context.

It's a pity...not only has the former apparently been forgotten, but in some cases it would seem that the latter has as well.

“I suppose we’re all the heroes of our own story. There are no heroes or villains, just people trying to do the best they can”

Harold Finch (Played by Michael Emerson) - Person of Interest Season 5

I often see a single part of this quote, but the whole is really much better.

"All that is gold does not glitter
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.
From the ashes, a fire shall be woken,
A light from the shadows shall spring;
Renewed shall be blade that was broken,
The crownless again shall be king."

J.R.R Tolkien

I know this is actually a poem, and not necessarily a quote, but the second line is oft quoted. The first 4 lines really tie the room together though

Back