FH3 Hot Wheels Expansion - Now Available

• Thread starter Justuxful
  • 549 comments
Well, I like it. Why not? It's fresh, it's unexpected, it packs some very nice cars, and let's be honest, it's gonna be FUN.

Over the top maybe, but...just look at GTA Online. Their kind of HW races are a blast, and I can't wait to try the official "real" deal here!

Dang. I may be accused of being boring, but this isn't my cup of tea. Sure, Forza Horizon's never been realistic (it's not tried to be), but this is too over the top and silly for me. I like good old fashioned cruising around on normal roads with cars I'll never even see in real life. Passing on this one.
I think the problem for me is still lack of memorable roads. With everything being so open like it is, I don't get the urge to go and just drive, really. It's super silly, but that is what's drawing me in.

I think the problem for me is still lack of memorable roads. With everything being so open like it is, I don't get the urge to go and just drive, really. It's super silly, but that is what's drawing me in.

Memorable roads... that`s what keeps me going back to FH1 and FH2 sometimes.

Ah, this sums it up in a way I haven't been able to express yet.

The concept of FH3 is a huge draw, but the execution has left me a little cold. Many of the roads are too straight or too wide, so I just don't get the same enjoyment out of cruising that I do in something like GTAV.

This expansion is so far into arcade racer territory that it turns this into a whole new game. I actually had a lot of fun with the stunt arenas in The Crew for example, but they were silly and didn't jive with the rest of the game. I feel the same way about this: I want to play it, just as a change of pace from the super-serious sims that are everywhere these days, but it still feels incongruous.

It's a bit like Lego Batman and the Nolan-era Batman films: they're both about the same basic character, but are so far removed from one another in how they treat him. I like both, but for different reasons.

Exactly how I feel. I think the first two Horizon's we're better with memorable roads. I have a hard time picking up Horizon 3 for this reason myself. Come to think of it, I got more time out of Test Drive Unlimited than I do FH3, but that was in part due to the houses/ garages. FH3 is lacking the things I was hoping for in a free roam open world car game. I certainly wasn't hoping for loops and toy cars.

I love it.

I love it. I love it. I love it.

Fun with cars. That's what this is all about. Let's have some fun with cars.

Hit the nail right on the head there. Thing is, with so many stern and sterile driving games in recent years and so many terrible ones as well, I think everyone's forgetting what's the meaning of fun.

Yes, I think I'll second Fred's sentiment here. You'd think most ideas of thinking of Horizon 3 being a realistic game would be dashed by conjuring the image of a Reliant Regal with a motorbike engine and training wheels jumping around in the Outback, but I guess not.

Why are there such serious remarks about Forza's entire franchise vision being in danger? It is one single, OPTIONAL expansion that is not required to experience the full game, not to mention if it is done again it'll be done as a DLC anyways, since Porsche Expansions are a thing of the past and there's a free slot for any DLC idea to stretch its legs.

This entire expansion is about awakening the "inner car child", plain and simple. It's such a shame some people are being so stiff about that idea due to their obssession with "keeping Horizon photo-realistic". When such is Motorsport's job in the very first place...

I suppose you could say the Forza Horizon series is having its "Fast & Furious Franchise" moment - it's going from delivering a somewhat realistic and believable experience to executing concepts which are completely over the top...

Like the F&F camp, this expansion has split the Forza Horizon user base and that shouldn't come as a surprise. Personally, I welcome Playground Games trying something new and hope this is a sign of things to come in future Horizon games. Why? Because it's different and keeps the series from going stale.

Memorable roads... that`s what keeps me going back to FH1 and FH2 sometimes.
I think the fact that there was restrictions on the FH1 map, that made you drive on the road for the majority of the time, is the reason that I prefer the map from 1 over the others. It's the only game that I actually have a memorable road from :lol:

The concept of FH3 is a huge draw, but the execution has left me a little cold. Many of the roads are too straight or too wide, so I just don't get the same enjoyment out of cruising that I do in something like GTAV.
This has been a problem for me, since the beginning. I definitely loved Red Rock Canyon from FH1, but it could have been shortened in width, and it would have been the perfect road. The issue only got worse with each iteration, with how free the maps got.

This expansion is so far into arcade racer territory that it turns this into a whole new game. I actually had a lot of fun with the stunt arenas in The Crew for example, but they were silly and didn't jive with the rest of the game. I feel the same way about this: I want to play it, just as a change of pace from the super-serious sims that are everywhere these days, but it still feels incongruous.
While FH3 has been great, the driving has been relatively boring for me. This pack flows well with me, but it all depends on how big of an expansion it is. I'm wondering how customizable these are going to be, as it would be great if you can make your own from scratch, although I'm not holding my breath.

While I didn't like to see the Bone Shaker and modified Mustang added to FM6, these two cars seemed so well received by nearly every comment I read back then. Now we have this light hearted game with its over the top and purpose built Hot Wheels map, and many opinions seem to be on the fence about it. I'm not calling anyone hypocrites or anything, I'm just surprised that people are so divided on the announcement.

I love it.

I love it. I love it. I love it.

Fun with cars. That's what this is all about. Let's have some fun with cars.
bca89b3f5c01d4f198075145d4f1f9a8_amen-to-that-dicaprio-gatsby-amen-to-that-meme_601-340.jpeg

:cheers:
Looks great fun and add additional variety 👍
My feelings excatly. 👍

I'm not calling anyone hypocrites or anything, I'm just surprised that people are so divided on the announcement..

I guess no-one expected the Horizon series to go so deep into the arcade racing spectrum. But that's what makes it a surprise, and a good one at that.

Seeing that next expansion is hot wheels... I'm interested in checking it out. If we do get a barn find I am hoping it's the leaked 32 ford. If not, at least a forzathon event prize. Just seems to make sense for this ford to be added alongside or in the expansion.

While I didn't like to see the Bone Shaker and modified Mustang added to FM6, these two cars seemed so well received by nearly every comment I read back then. Now we have this light hearted game with its over the top and purpose built Hot Wheels map, and many opinions seem to be on the fence about it. I'm not calling anyone hypocrites or anything, I'm just surprised that people are so divided on the announcement.

I believe people are so divided is because the Hot Wheels vibe with the over the top stunt tracks is so far from the car culture festival atmosphere we've grown accustomed to that some people (myself included) are just not sure it fits into the Horizon ethos that the series is known for.

I guess no-one expected the Horizon series to go so deep into the arcade racing spectrum. But that's what makes it a surprise, and a good one at that.

I guess this could explain the mixed reception. Maybe part of my optimism about it comes from the fact that I actually expected something like this. Here's a comment I posted on the subject a couple of weeks ago:

I don't think or hope we'll see another mountain expansion. It's something they should consider as for the next game. I cannot imagine how they will expand FH3 again, but maybe it will be something bizarre.

It's basically that ad for a well known racing game...

But turned into an actual game. And while GTA5 sort of has the same tricks, it's not really accessible for the younger kids that are still playing with those Hot Wheels sets in their bedroom. They're the same cars, only now they don't have to make the engine noises with their mouth. :lol:

I believe people are so divided is because the Hot Wheels vibe with the over the top stunt tracks is so far from the car culture festival atmosphere we've grown accustomed to that some people (myself included) are just not sure it fits into the Horizon ethos that the series is known for.

That's a very good point, but on the other hand, for most of us Hot Wheels were our first experiences with cars and likely where the passion came from, so it's a bit of a full circle to include it in a game that's so adamant about car culture.

Wow!, I can't say I was expecting this.

But as a 32 Year old who still collects Hot Wheels cars.. Bring it on!, It looks silly and over the top but I can see myself having loads of fun on this.

I can see why this wont be for everyone but honestly, I don't care about the realism part, I already got Project Cars and Assetto Corsa for that.

I'm really looking forward to this, good to see the likes of the Boneshaker back to.

I look forward to seeing what the likes of Failrace will do with this series to..

Can't wait :)

The crux of the issue for me.

I've been playing a lot of the first Horizon lately (Which I should probably put my thoughts into a thread, but a lot of it has been already voiced especially road composition) and what strikes me, and what makes it so far my favorite entry in the Horizon series still, is that it truly feels like a festival. Getting wristbands and seeing it on your player model, the low key and relaxed vibe of the various outposts and the main stage, hell, even the characters for the most part, for as basically written and voiced as they are, give you a reason to believe that it is actually a mixture of a car and music festival. Looking at Horizon 3 objectively, it doesn't feel like that anymore, though I guess that comes with becoming the boss.

Well, it's strange... this thing fits well with NFS or Burnout franchise.
It's not my taste, but like some people in the old Roman Empire i will say... "de gustibus non disputandum est"

Anyway... happy to see the return of the Zonda R in the series.

Well, it's strange... this thing fits well with NFS or Burnout franchise.
It's not my taste, but like some people in the old Roman Empire i will say... "de gustibus non disputandum est"

Anyway... happy to see the return of the Zonda R in the series.
I can see burnout, but NFS is very much grounded in reality(enough :lol:) that its in a similar vein as Horizon.

Wow - I certainly wasn't expecting this at all and I can't wait to give it a try. Lots of folks were expecting either a Porsche Expansion (been there, done that) or a Hoonigan Expansion (I'm horrible at drifting and nothing can help me :)) so I'm glad it wasn't either of those.

I know there are players who look at this Hot Wheels Expansion and say "It ruins the realism for the Forza Horizon franchise!!!" Well, for me anyways, realism was out the door within the first 15 minutes of playing the original Horizon when I realized I was being rewarded for knocking down street signs.

Well, thank god I didn't waste money on the expansion deal they did. Not my thing at all.

I can see that it's a view that isn't shared by the majority, which is fair enough. Hopefully it's as good as you're all expecting!

Usually I wouldn't be excited for this, but some of my friends are going to download FH3 again just for this so I'm looking forward to playing with them again, hopefully it provides some laughs as that's the main thing I enjoy about this kind of racing.

Back