FIA considering closed cockpit F1 in the future?

• Thread starter Hun200kmh
  • 664 comments
As smart as the teams and FIA are I don't think a canopy would slow the driver extraction process much. You still can't get out of an open wheel car today if it lands on it's roll hoop

As smart as the teams and FIA are I don't think a canopy would slow the driver extraction process much. You still can't get out of an open wheel car today if it lands on it's roll hoop

Alonso seemed to manage, even if it was just to calm his mother.

Again, what does this have to do with built-in head protection in F1 cars?
I was running on from @Samus' comment about peoples' views of change in motorsport in the past. A little off-topic, but it was in reply to someone.

Regarding the staggering amount of people, I didn't mean to insinuate a majority - more the fact that I'm surprised anyone at all would think like that. Perhaps I made it a little ambiguous, but it's just my personal feeling towards what I've come across.
Who has used tradition as an excuse? I've not read anything like that.
There's an example in this very thread:
Formula 1 cars always have been (and hopefully always will be) open cockpit cars.
Granted it specifies F1, but the general sentiment is still there.

Again, I don't think you're going to understand the amount of such comments that go on until you really delve into all forums and social media platforms. GTP is a rather sane place, which can't be said for a lot of other places.

Ah, but for the days when Martin Brundle got out of the car, went back to the pits, climbed into the spare chassis and made the restart, all in the spacd of half an hour ...

That looks much better than the halo design. Only problem is what happens when it rains? Drivers can tear off visor strips, how're they gonna do it on that?

More photos

http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/red-bull-will-run-canopy-system-in-russian-gp-practice-702534/

f1-russian-gp-2016-red-bull-racing-rb12-with-the-aeroscreen.jpg

Would they be allowed to participate in the race with the canopy or do the regulations have to change? Also, how much of an aerodynamic advantage or disadvantage would the canopy be?

Would they be allowed to participate in the race with the canopy or do the regulations have to change? Also, how much of an aerodynamic advantage or disadvantage would the canopy be?
Depending on how aerodynamic a drivers helmet is, it could make things better aero wise. As far as I know, the new closed cockpit LMp2 cars are much more aero efficient than their open cockpit equivalents

It looks better than that halo boomerang. But I wonder if the air intake is not to much out of the airflow now?

This might be an option, which looks not to bad, if the car is designed from the beginning with this "windscreen".

That screen looks to be deflecting airflow away from the intake, which makes me wonder if the screen design could be altered to improve/force airflow directly into the air intake, like the alterations made to drivers' helmets around 2001 (I think that was the year a little shelf appeared at the back of the helmet).

I'm sure if you stuck your fingers above that lip you'd still feel a ton of airflow, it could be that RB are quite happy with what the aeroscreen can do for the untidy flow that normally comes off those inconveniently-shaped drivers.

The helmet alterations were, if I recall correctly, as much to do with negating the drag behind the helmet that could cause them to be pulled upwards and to seal some of the gap between the rear of the helmet and the flat headrest area?

I'm sure if you stuck your fingers above that lip you'd still feel a ton of airflow, it could be that RB are quite happy with what the aeroscreen can do for the untidy flow that normally comes off those inconveniently-shaped drivers.

The helmet alterations were, if I recall correctly, as much to do with negating the drag behind the helmet that could cause them to be pulled upwards and to seal some of the gap between the rear of the helmet and the flat headrest area?

I wouldnt want to stick anything more than a couple of fingers above that screen at racing speed...

I've just been having a look at some 2000 onwards pictures of F1 and the rear helmet section seems to be a perfect fit to the shape of the headrest, so your recollections make sense. You learn something new everyday :P

Jack Brabham tested a bubble canopy windscreen at Monza, 1967. Note slot cut into front center of screen. Black Jack still didn't like it. Parallax distorted vision. But the test was run concurrently with matching aerodynamic rollover hoop/engine/gearbox bodywork which caused the gearbox oil to overheat.

is

Last edited:
I really need to find myself someone with Foxtel so I can watch these races.
I've not watched a Race this year yet!!!

Only a matter of time before F1 gets the Fighter jet cockpit and then is basically an LMP1 with open wheels :lol:

Back