FIA Race Discussion [Archive]

• Thread starter adstomko
  • 24,947 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well this just happened. Unfortunately my door number was 1 so I guess PD thought I should do better. :lol: But I'll take it for the first race of the season.

View attachment 900949

I was right behind you!

I tried to catch you on that last lap but just couldn’t get there....good race!

I started 13th and finished 5th with a CRB. There was only one idiot in the race racking up penalties that I saw. I was able to avoid him and pass when he starting serving his 12+ seconds and never saw him again.

Overall the racing was clean.
Gran Turismo®SPORT_20200318184442.jpg
Gran Turismo®SPORT_20200318184430.jpg

Last edited:
I was right behind you! (I’ll edit with pic tonight).

I tried to catch you on that last lap but just couldn’t get there....good race!

It was a great race. I know a lot of people, including myself, are complaining about the penalty system. But we managed to keep it clean. At least the guys up front. I can't think of the guy's name who came in 3rd, but we had some really close and clean racing going there for a while. No matter the position gained or lost, that's the type of racing I like. It was great sharing the track with you.

Keith.

Sometimes I question myself why I still try to participate in these races!

I had just one shot last night. #10 on the door. Qualified 14th after a slow car blocked my way and I had to brake to avoid a collision.

T1 was a disaster. Soon I was in P19 with a long gap to cover. Made progress until a blue Aston started to ram me on my left side. I tried to keep my line and maintain distance from the McLaren on the right, but the Aston kept on hitting until he made me lose the rear and spin like crazy. For that I was handsomely rewarded with a 7 sec penalty. Finished 15th.

I have so many curse words after last night I, my future children and my future grandchildren would be permanently ban hammered from GTPlanet if I let them out.

On what logic do I get divebombed and I get a 2 second penalty and not them?!?!?!? I eventually got some decent points and my rating is still S but only just.

Last edited:
This could actually be the solution to all the penalty problems. No need for any "ai" technology or complex codings. Give people penalties for any contact. So at least we know what's coming. Not great but better than being overtaken rudely and getting 3-4-5 seconds worth of penalties.

That’s how it was at the games release if you remember, and pretty much everyone in the online community flamed PD and so now here we are.
The problem people had was if someone missed a brakepoint like turn 1 Nurb GP any car touched got affected.
People cried like babies about that.
Once you understand the current system it’s no problem FOR THE MOST PART LOL
but you can’t race hard, if someone’s up your inside yield that’s all.
I’m for any system that can reduce contact.
If that means pens for all contact let’s do it.
At least under that you can race.
One big problem I saw in the little league lobbies was people don’t accept being overtaken.
People in lower lobbies have ZERO awareness,
and every corner is a battle to the death, they don’t think long game, they don’t think ahead.
So many times I’m passing people losing time because of refusal to yield.
I don’t mind being overtaken by a faster car, I look at it like I immediately become the pressure giver attacker.
It seems people view being overtaken as the end of the world sometimes in lower lobbies.
If you’re smart about it you can often force a mistake shortly after.
I dunno

Last edited:
Please don't bite my head off but it looks like you turned into him. Yes he was aggressive. But there was plenty of room on the right to get away. Of course we can't see your steering inputs so.................

I do cockpit view and below was my race view. In retrospect, sure, there were things I could’ve done differently but I was feeling the hits and I tried to keep my line. The McLaren was right next to me and I had no room at that point. It appears that I was closing on him but that was not the case. I could feel my car being pushed and the rest is history. On to next one I guess.

Season 2020 Round 1 Race 1
I have not caught up with all the messages here after last night but I assume that there is plenty of commentary regarding the penalty system that is now basically no-touch. A guy passed and hit me on the inside in a turn (video below) and I got 1s. Another guy in my race got a violent punt into the wall in turn 1 and got a 5s penalty. I watched the replay and I could not see he touched anyone that would have warranted that!

Anyway, my 1s penalty on the out lap of qualifying was ruining everything and I started from last. (Why that guy had to squeeze by in turn 3 on the out lap I will never understand...)
I did great gains after being very very careful practicing "social distancing" in T1 and T2 and gained but after a few laps I hit someone and in turn tog hit in the rear and off into the sand trap. Regained positions after tire change but then did a horrible mistake, totally unforced.
Note that this was my second race, so I knew that I had to be super careful.

So anyway, here is a short edit with the best parts of the race that I actually enjoyed.

Video is set to private.

Oh sorry ! Now that is corrected !

Last edited by a moderator:
I might be the only one that actually had a good race. Grant you, I had the perspective that my physical state wasn't letting me drive to my potential and Maggiore was a poor track for me. Also had a bit of luck. I'll be sharing that video.

But not just yet. I tried to catch a few races out there to update my spreadsheet and it became clear that people are at their limits with both slipstream and penalties. Worst part is that a lot of us saw it coming a mile away with all the clamor for a patch to address both items.

Instead, straight into Round 1 we went. To paraphrase: everyone went FIA try-harding. Those penalties were fast as lightning.

LOL - That video is great !

I saw lots of penalties for just rear-end contact in that video, as well as penalties given to the car on the inside of a turn. I definitely bump-drafted a few people yesterday, but didn't get a penalty for any of them. Also, gotta love the game giving a 10s penalty because it put them inside of another car when leaving the pits...
I had shots of bump drafting penalties but the software I used limited how many clips I could use. PD got lucky there.

The last clip was a bit of cheeky editing, to be fair. Driver bumped the ahead driver right before going into the pits and that triggered the 10 seconds. I trimmed all that off to make it fit.

Not sure if I had just missed it in the news or it was a glitch, but is there a reason why only two races are scheduled in this first round so far? I was checking Manufacturer stats this morning and only last night's race and Suzuka were showing in the schedule.

Not sure if I had just missed it in the news or it was a glitch, but is there a reason why only two races are scheduled in this first round so far? I was checking Manufacturer stats this morning and only last night's race and Suzuka were showing in the schedule.
It's because of the new Mazda I think

The GR.4 race at Suzuka, seems like it's a flim flam. Did a Custom Race, starting on RM. Ran to lap 6. Tyres weren't worn. Almost like they were just coming up to temperature.

Switched to RH and they were still fresh at the finish.

No doubt Suzuka is hard to pass. The AWD will help(barely) coming out of the hairpin and some corner exits, but a Slophy will eat me alive in the twisties/braking/tyre wear. I guess anything else MR and the SLS will check out.

As with any other race, patience will be the key. Just stay in a pack and don't try to pass until the last third of the race.
Best thing to do in my opinion is find out how fast you can go on hards and if/when it gets below that pace in the race it's time to think of pitting. All well and good being able to do 10 laps in the 2:10 range on mediums but if you're in the midfield or something going around at 2:12 you may as well put the hards on, push, and pass people when they pit

Both upcoming races tyre wear is negligible. Looking forward to seeing what strategies people employ in the Nations though, and seeing if I can be a bit different and make it work. Although looks like it'll be full of VGT cars and I try to avoid those like the plague if I can

Best thing to do in my opinion is find out how fast you can go on hards and if/when it gets below that pace in the race it's time to think of pitting. All well and good being able to do 10 laps in the 2:10 range on mediums but if you're in the midfield or something going around at 2:12 you may as well put the hards on, push, and pass people when they pit

Both upcoming races tyre wear is negligible. Looking forward to seeing what strategies people employ in the Nations though, and seeing if I can be a bit different and make it work. Although looks like it'll be full of VGT cars and I try to avoid those like the plague if I can
My FP time versus the Pug VGT times, isn't bad.

As for Suzuka, oh I'll pass if an opportunity comes about. I'm thinking more of a fast battle pack. I don't believe in slowing each other down, to allow others to catch up. IF "we" can break away, then it creates options. We'll see. Might be that I just can't hang using the Atenza.

Wonder what this will actually do:
https://www.gran-turismo.com/gb/gtsport/news/00_4535649.html
On 20 March, adjustments have been made to the system issuing penalties in the 'Sport' mode and Lobbies of Gran Turismo Sport. The details are as follows:
[PENALTIES]
 - The penalty judgement algorithm in regards to light contacts and collisions between cars during online races has been adjusted.
We apologise for any inconvenience this may have caused and want to reassure that we are constantly making improvements to the penalty system.
Thank you for your continued support and please continue to enjoy Gran Turismo Sport!

and unsurprisingly the Nurburgring Live event is cancelled
https://www.gran-turismo.com/gb/gtsport/news/00_8152754.html

[PENALTIES]
 - The penalty judgement algorithm in regards to light contacts and collisions between cars during online races has been adjusted.
We apologise for any inconvenience this may have caused and want to reassure that we are constantly making improvements to the penalty system.
Thank you for your continued support and please continue to enjoy Gran Turismo Sport!

Oh oh! I don't like the wording of this! Sounds like we're back to punter heaven and they'll turn it off. I very much hope I'm dead wrong heheh

Last edited:
This should bring the Mazda RX-VISION GT3 forward.

If the New Stage 1 runs to May 25th or 24th for that matter, players are going to switch to Mazda and/or buy the RX-V anyway. May as well make an effort to bring it a month ahead.

Considering the current Manufacturers Season won't last long (I'm still a little confused as to what their plans are), I figured I'd share my official team picture here:
5989814999265051660_0.jpg

As you can see, crew, mechanics and engineers and, worst of all, fans, weren't able to attend because of the whole social distancing thing...

5836697007296610308_0.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back