FIA Race Discussion [Archive]

• Thread starter adstomko
  • 24,947 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
So... I wonder if we'll get any heads up at all on the specifics of next season or if we'll have to play it by ear on a race-by-race basis.

Would be nice to know things like multipliers, number of laps, etc. And which layout of each track we'll be using, since that could seriously influence car selection for Manu.
Would have been nice to have been told early to get some practice in and choose a car properly. No doubt be told the day before the first race :lol:

So... I wonder if we'll get any heads up at all on the specifics of next season or if we'll have to play it by ear on a race-by-race basis.

Would be nice to know things like multipliers, number of laps, etc. And which layout of each track we'll be using, since that could seriously influence car selection for Manu.

Seriously. The new season starts next week, doesn't it?

Would only be worth doing if either there was only one slot (as those able to enter later/more slots would have a huge advantage) or if they randomised the multipliers and conditions for each slot - which to be honest I'd quite like!

Jump in slot one and find it the same set up as last time at RBR short (Fuel x6, Tyres x6, 21 laps, sunny), slot two turns out to be 35 laps in the wet with Fuel x3 and Tyres x8

Can't see them doing that though so I'd imagine we'll get the full schedule by the weekend

They're never going to switch settings up between slots, I bet you anything on that. But they might also not tell us anything in advance of the session going up the week of the race.

21 laps seems like a short race based on the previous exhibition season. With similar-ish laptimes we ran 37 laps on Tsukuba for example.

But the last stage of the official season had shorter races than the exhibition season, so they might be throwing stuff at the wall to see what sticks in preparation for the next round of official seasons.

Honestly I am hoping for going in cold to the races, maybe only finding out on the day. I felt like jumping in without days and days of practice put me behind (obviously) a few people I normally thrash in regular dailies. Personally I just want to race and I think just going in without the months or weeks of preparation events the field a bit more and really tests how well you can drive and adapt.

Now watch me bin it every race.:D:dunce:

@Redneckchef, I feel the opposite. I think I’m a bit better than many by just jumping in. I’ve only done more than maybe 20 laps of practice for a FIA race, and that was the silly Rallycross race we ran on this site.

One thing about sim racing in general that annoys me is that ability of unlimited testing. And while this series isn’t about setups, you still gain a bunch by putting in the practice.

Last edited:
@Redneckchef, I feel the opposite. I think I’m a bit better than many by just jumping in. I’ve only done more than maybe 20 laps of practice for a FIA race, and that was the silly Rallycross race we ran on this site.
What I meant is that I dont do practice, and end up racing people who have spent 3 days practicing. I like the challenge of going in cold. I also just like to race more. That does result in being spectacularly outgunned or screwed up some times though.👍

What I meant is that I dont do practice, and end up racing people who have spent 3 days practicing. I like the challenge of going in cold. I also just like to race more. That does result in being spectacularly outgunned or screwed up some times though.👍

For me it is the opposite; i really like the days before the race and practicing in time trail, lobbys etc.
It is not so much about getting to know the track more or improving my driving; it is the fact that you have days of practicing and just spending the time on it.....

I’d like to see one thing on the races with more tire wear.
Please, allow us to choose, many time the m plus h or h plus m plus s races, you are forced to stop unnecessarily.
Or, the softer tires with the wear multiplier render hards useless.
Please higher tire multipliers!
I’d like to be able to no stop not get forced to stop just to use a compound I don’t need.
I only run FIA on combos I really like, so usually only fun a few laps practice, and run the race.

Edit I’d also like it if the multipliers were not shown until race start. THAT would be racing.
You could change by region too so no advanced knowledge possible or copying other regions aliens.
One reason I don’t enter these much is I know darn well people have the strategy down beforehand and have test run the race 10 or more times before running.
That doesn’t interest me much, too much disadvantage for mez

Last edited:
I don't know what to feel about this season in Manufacturer's.

It's quite clearly a sprint cup with race lengths around 20-25 minutes, and qualifying sessions only 5 minutes long. Yet they put tyre wear through the roof and several races have multiple required compounds forcing at least one stop (though with the wear it might very well be two stops in some races! Crazy in 20 minute sprints...)

I reiterate my point before about them trying stuff out in preparation for the next official season. This smells like experimentation.

Wow, almost every race is Fuel x1 or x2. Opens up those v8 gas guzzlers for consideration! :lol:

Don't think i've ever raced on Monza no chicane. Is that good or bad regarding carnage at T1? Feels like it will be just as 'punty' having T1 at the next chicane.

Yeah, I was all set to drop the Vette for this season given its problems with fuel, but it's looking more appealing now especially considering I rarely have tyre wear issues with it. Going to have to test some more before calling it.

T1 at any track is always going to be a crapshoot, but Roggia is slightly more forgiving than Rettifilo on corner entry and you can actually cut it and suffer only a time penalty so there's somewhere to go if you blow it. Curva Grande might actually catch some people out too and have them scrub enough speed to space the grid out.

Immediate gut reactions to those lists...

Nations
  • Not surprised the new Yaris is round 1.
  • Round 2 will give me PTSD. Get those Gr.4 Evos away from me!!!
  • Super Formula at Bathurst? EEP.
  • Ooh, Minis.

Manufacturers
  • They've really brought the race lengths down again. :(
  • Blue Moon Bay - oval time?
  • NORDSCHLEIFE!!
  • Lago Maggiore Centre? Uhoh... (I don't have a good history with that layout...)

Hey! PD took my ideas! The Lancer vs Evo were my Car(S) of The Week picks, in that thread.
We all know about the age old rivalry between Mitsubishi Lancer Evo and Subaru WRX on the dirt but what will happen when they take it to the streets in COTW. This week we are testing out the Grade 4 Evo and WRX. This weeks cars were chosen by @05XR8
I also suggested, a while back( and just recently, a photo shoot), the MINI Clubman be used in a One Make. 👍:cheers:
On a different subject, gotta say I'm having fun using the MINI VGT. Done nearly all the road courses. ONE MAKE Custom Race, 2 Laps, starting 11th, Grid Start, TCS default. Spa in the rain, Le Sarthe, Tokyo, Miyabi+, it's a fun car.

So far, I felt the best track for it was Laguna Seca. Only won twice. BMB tri-oval and Le Sarthe. TCS On is giving the AI a bit of an acceleration advantage. My car not as quick to apply power, makes it a challenge to keep up with AI.

It's changing the whole feel of the game for me today.

I think my 86 has a shot at good results this season. :)

Last edited:
Wow, almost every race is Fuel x1 or x2. Opens up those v8 gas guzzlers for consideration! :lol:

Don't think i've ever raced on Monza no chicane. Is that good or bad regarding carnage at T1? Feels like it will be just as 'punty' having T1 at the next chicane.
I got a DR reset last time I raced this configuration, but it was a Daily Race with a standing start in the RB Jr, not a rolling start, so it shouldn't be AS bad. Honestly I'm actually looking forward to it as long as I can avoid torpedoes...

Going back to check the previous exhibition season the fuel multipliers aren't actually much lower this season. Last time it was x2 for six races, x3 for three races, and x5 for one race. This season it's 1x for three races, x2 for one race, x3 for one, x4 for one, x5 for one, and x6 for one. If you average it out it's actually higher this season.

The races are much shorter though, which makes for less total fuel used even if the multiplier is higher. I think gas guzzlers will still have a hard time this around too, but not as much as cars who are hard on tyres :lol:

I think finally we'll see a slightly more even playing field with FFs in Gr4 :P

Anyone else notice we only have 5 mins of qualifying now?

Also, the first round of Manufacturer's might be a little harder for those of us with gas guzzlers with 4x fuel consumption. Tire wear honestly doesn't look bad at most tracks. Since BMB is an oval, tires last a really long time there (and always wear the rears first, no matter the car). It could make the final race at Maggiore Center interesting though. I'm looking forward to blasting around that track in Gr. 3. I have a feeling the Corvette will actually be good there, given how well it drove at Tsukuba.

Last edited:
Going back to check the previous exhibition season the fuel multipliers aren't actually much lower this season. Last time it was x2 for six races, x3 for three races, and x5 for one race. This season it's 1x for three races, x2 for one race, x3 for one, x4 for one, x5 for one, and x6 for one. If you average it out it's actually higher this season.

The races are much shorter though, which makes for less total fuel used even if the multiplier is higher. I think gas guzzlers will still have a hard time this around too, but not as much as cars who are hard on tyres :lol:

I think finally we'll see a slightly more even playing field with FFs in Gr4 :P
Would be nice if noone chose FF or AWD at all. ;) Got spoiled in my last Gr.4 race at Suzuka. Only had RWD cars in that one. :)

Feeling a bit relieved I may not have top speed, but not fretting over tyre wear lowers my pulse. That Nordschliefe race though. I'll be left for dead.

The Bathurst race is going to be epic. I bet some players still won't have mapped the Boost button.

Not too fussed about all the GR.3 races. I'll see if I can keep the rear of the Supra in check. Should be a fun Exhibition.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Posts

Back