FIA Race Discussion [Archive]

• Thread starter adstomko
  • 24,947 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, that's the end of my seasons, as my SR grinding attempt ended with a chode in an Audi brake-checking me for an entire lap around Laguna.

Oh well, that just means more time for PC sims.

EDIT: thanks autocorrect!

Last edited:
Nation's

Qualifying went well and dispite the fact I didn't have any slipstream on my fast lap lined up in 10th with the V12 Vantage.

The start went well as the Supra ahead nearly span at the exit of T1 giving me 9th. 3 cars ahead got it wrong at the chicane of death promoting me to 6th at the end of sector 1. The Aston ahead of me touched the barriers on the exit of the chicane of death giving me 5th. The Porsche went wide at the exit of the esses and gave me 4th. By lap 5 the Aston and the Porsche had caught back up as they didn't lose to much time in there incidents and both just got ahead on the end of the lap.

Lap 6 and I got the second barrier at the chicane of death and somehow don't lose any positions. I pitted for fresh mediums on lap 9 and had good pace overall and was looking good for a 6th place finish at least. As I was catching the Porsche ahead I made a mistake on lap 14 at the exit of the last corner and spin as I went wide and dropped from 4th as others ahead had pitted again and rejoined in 10th crucially losing about 10 seconds.

Undeterred I carried on and gained back 9th as a car ahead crashed at T1. I pitted again for hard tyres on lap 18 from 9th and rejoined in 11th. Last lap and still in 11th I managed to get 2 cars at the hairpin after the chicane of death to claim 9th. I just managed to hold of the cars behind to finish 9th.

Good race overall with the Aston Martin and fairly happy with 9th as I still moved forwards dispite the spin. Without it probably top 5 with some good luck but can't complain as that was 100% my fault. Not bothering with manufacturers as a few laps after and the Ferrari oddly just felt really heavy at Suzuka so on to Tsukuba, maybe.

My 1st run in Nations was a total disaster as I could not get a good qualifying lap together and had to start from the back. I tried to take advantage of the bad situation by starting on Hards, but I got caught up in the Chicane of Death mayhem and rear-ended a CoD victim that made a slow rejoin onto the fast right/left before the slope hairpin. The CoD pretty much ruined any chance of catching up to the top 10 and I finished a very distant 14th. I considered doing Manufacturers, but my attempt at wrangling the slow and unstable Alfa left me with a time a good 3 seconds behind my B ranked friend. Yeah, no. This abysmal result is making me consider a switch to Honda to get a Gr.4 car that can actually compete.

After practicing in a lobby, I went into my 2nd Nations race and notched up a respectable 10th in qualifying. I elected to start on Mediums to push up the order.
e5oz0Ta.jpg

The Chicane of Death strikes again on the opening lap, as a Vantage (MKAP1) slips past a blue Supra (bibayan) into CoD, only for the former to grind the exit wall and the latter to eat a 2 second penalty for grazing the stricken Vantage. The penalty system really does not like side on side contact. A Lancer botches the Slope Hairpin, promoting me to 8th, which became 7th when bibiyan served his penalty. The CoD isn't done, as it claims the polesitting Lambo and a RCZ on lap 2, bumping me up to 5th.

I then screw up Slope Hairpin on lap 4 by getting my right rear onto the grass on entry, sending me into a slide. I was able to keep the Supra pointed in the right direction, but I lost time to the charging polesitter Lambo making a comeback. The Bull catches up to me at the final chicane on lap 4 and we spent the entire lap 5 fighting, with the Bull prevailing down the start/finish straight into lap 6. I let the Bull go in the hopes he can disrupt the top 4.

I boxed on lap 8 for new Mediums, dropping from 6th to 8th. I immediately take back 7th by covering off the apex of turn 1, forcing the John Player Special RCZ behind me. The RCZ tries to make a pass through the tunnel, but backs out on approach to CoD. The McLaren 650S in 6th messes up the final chicane on exit, and I retake 6th, which became 5th with a successful undercut on someone still in the pits. The Slope Hairpin sees more action in lap 9, as the Corvette in 3rd goes wide on exit, forcing the following white/blue RCZ to swerve to the far left and gift me 4th. The Corvette pits in at the end of lap 9, handing me 3rd.

I managed to pull a 5 second gap to 4th until disaster struck on lap 14. I take too much curb on the final right in the esses and I flick left in reflex to countersteer. My flick ends up putting me in the barriers and erasing my gap to 4th.

The Corvette catches up to me and I hold him off until the end of lap 16, where he overtakes me just before I make my final stop for Hards and a splash of fuel. I drop from 4th to 6th with a large gap to 5th. As it turned out, the white/blue RCZ in 5th was on worn Hards, allowing me to catch up to him on lap 18 and begin the battle for 5th.

The battle finally swings in my favour on the final lap, as I try the inside into Larini Hairpin. The RCZ initially moves to block, but suddenly swerves to the outside as if he was expecting me to outbrake myself and spear off into the gravel. I take advantage of the space and managed to get the car past the RCZ and around Larini safely.

Into Larini:
M19Mzjw.jpg

Larini Exit:
fwGCzAK.jpg

The RCZ tries to retake 5th, but his compromised exit meant he did not have the speed to beat me to the left kink and final chicane. He makes one final attempt to pass me with slipstream before the finish line, but it fails and I stay 5th.

Ppg8r2G.jpg

YqlSr4w.jpg

NPE730l.jpg

My blunder at the esses definitely costed me 4th, as the Corvette in 3rd was going to the end when I pitted. Nevertheless, it was a good result. Onto the Tsukuba Rally!

More race photos:

cLxc8s4.jpg
OOKqsyx.jpg
UDWGJLq.jpg

Last edited:
Probably my last outing in the Mustang for the season since I don't fancy its chances much at the Nurburgring. In a way, my Manufacturers campaign has come full circle, having also done test lobbies for Round 1 which showed the Gr.4 version's promise on mixed compounds.

15:20 Manufacturers
Generally wasn't expecting much, to be honest, especially upon receiving the sixth seed and spotting a McLaren which dipped under 2:08 in Free Practice. In total, the lobby included:
  • 1 458
  • 2 650Ss
  • 1 86
  • 1 4C ('Wifi password')
  • 4 Caymans
  • 1 Genesis
  • 1 NSX
  • 2 TT Cups
  • 2 Vipers
  • 2 V8 Vantages
  • 2 WRXs
Qualifying has been especially tight in the lobbies I've been in lately, and today's was no exception. First lap was a 2:10.219 with a few mistakes, followed by a 2:09.890 with 38 seconds on the clock. Went round again, managing to eke out another 0.132 seconds by the final sector. Had I not fluffed up my entry into the Casio Triangle, this would have given me a chance of gaining a couple of grid spots, but as things were the Mustang would start 15th, just 0.715 seconds off the pole-sitting Hyundai.

Early on, the Mustang struggled on cold tyres and lost touch with the Dutch TT up front. Not helping matters was the Italian Cayman behind who was gaining ground and actually picked up my slipstream within a couple of laps. Meanwhile, the Ferrari starting in 14th is passed and picks up a 1-second penalty for lightly tapping the TT from behind. I breeze past on the way to 130R, only to see the Ferrari regain ground and try to pass me through the Casio Triangle. I give him as much room as I can, he pulls it off cleanly, but in the process cuts the apex of Turn 16 as I'm already committed to the regular racing line. Cue another 0.5 penalty for the Ferrari.

Lost enough momentum to receive a minor tap from the Porsche on exit; he receives a 1-second penalty before proceeding to slide past me up the inside of Turn 2. Next time the Ferrari attempts the Triangle pass, I take to the inside of Turn 16 and we make it through with nothing but a slight tap. This allowed me to follow his slipstream for a while until he cuts Turn 17, receives another penalty and quits. No more slipstream, but I gain another place on Lap 8 when 'Wifi password' spins out at Turn 2. Finally started to get some consistency with a few mid-to-high 2:10s, gradually getting close to the Dutch TT as he was being pressured by a recovering green McLaren. Unfortunately, the Porsche was eroding away the advantage I had built up for 14th, and a tentative run through Degner 1 and 2 on Lap 11 cost me nearly half a second on my fastest lap, a 2:10.524.

Up ahead, the TT's tyre wear took its toll; on Lap 13, it loses 11th and falls into my slipstream range. Tried to slingshot past a few times, but the TT's straight-line speed was more than a match for my own. Queue for 12th grew to four cars. Briefly had to give up 13th to the Porsche following an aborted pass before 130R, only to regain it after he taps the TT at the hairpin. Finally squeaked past the TT on the inside of Dunlop Curve, only to be squeezed into the gravel after trying to go side-by-side with him through Degner 1. I was half a car length in front, but he held the inside; afterwards, he admitted that he had understeered at that point as we exchanged apologies. Ultimately, I did gain track position on the TT as he pulled over onto the marbles at Degner 2, but by then 'Wifi password' and the Porsche had already slipped past. Nearly lost it coming out of the hairpin, in more or less where I had started.

Gran Turismo™SPORT_20200801161750.png

It surprised me while watching the replay afterwards that the Mustang's tyre wear was almost identical to that of the Italian Porsche. For much of the race, especially in the early stages, it felt like it was wallowing through corners, which cost me a lot of time to the more agile MR cars in my vicinity. My main positive to take from this is that my lap times in qualifying and the race were not far off the times I had achieved in test lobbies, despite not concentrating as well due to the recent heatwave. The Mustang might not be the most ideal car to take around Suzuka, but at least it remained consistent between test lobbies and the real thing.

Should also say that the race wasn't a complete FF-fest, either. Top five positions were taken by entries for Hyundai, McLaren, Porsche, Honda and Aston Martin respectively.

Wow, Nations was a mess. I got a bad qualifying time and had to start in 16th, so I threw on Hard tires to get them out of the way. There was a glitch at the start though because the pole-sitter had a bad internet connection, which caused the top 8-10 cars to come to a halt at the line, and with that extra bunched-up-ness, the Chicane of Death was absolute chaos. I finished 8th, and my pace seems to be good enough for the top positions if I qualify better, but man I don't know if I want to go again because of how bad that was. Through collisions from the messes I got 3 SR downs and am only at 95 SR for the Manufacturer's race in 5 mins.

Just did the first Manufacturers slot with the McLaren. Door #9, sharing lobby with @Jwptexas and @wedjim. In qualifying, I didn't manage to put any good laps in, so I was surprised my time was good enough for P4, one and a half tenths off. Pole was definitely possible if I nailed a good lap.

I made a mistake going wide in 130R in the first lap, had to brake earlier due to dirty tyres and was on the back foot. @wedjim took the opportunity to make a move. Maybe a little aggressive, with a bit of door banging, but we both survived. I was then an spectator when another driver lost it on the inside kerb in T1 and collected him, quite unlucky incident.

Back in P4, I put some pressure on the guy in P3, twice tried to make a move, but he defended really hard, costing us 2 seconds each time. I decided to tuck into his slipstream for a while and think about a move towards the end of the race, because we were going to invite a big pack of cars behind into the mix...

The guy in 2nd then picked up a track limits penalty, when he served it, P3 passed and I also got the run into 130R, managed to be fully alongside before turning in and even braked a little bit so that I wouldn't push him wide. Unfortunately, he went for the apex as if I wasn't there and cut across completely, so we made side contact. I backed off and let him reenter the track ahead as I wasn't sure whether that was my fault. Having now seen the replay, I don't think it was. Luckily, no penalties and we both survived.

Moved up to P3 as the guy ahead outbraked himself. I lost touch with the guy in 2nd after the incident, although we were both catching the leader who I guess was struggling with the fronts on his Audi TT. Finished 3rd, 4 secs off the winner. 185 points which are the best of the season for me. :)

20200801_192313.jpg

There's been talk about the Huracan. I haven't seen a Gr.4 all season, but this one pops to the top. Cleared me by 1 second. Might load the ghost to see where it's making it's time. Or me losing time.
IMG_20200802_100541.jpg

Edit: I can see. Where that player makes the time. Running all the way out exiting T4. I did that and made up .122 on my previous time. Everything else was me being tidier with my braking. RC F has the top end over that Huracan.
Overall, I dropped my time by .4.
IMG_20200802_101646.jpg

IMG_20200802_101635.jpg

Last edited:
This Nations combo was far from my strongest suit, and I logged on half hour before the race to set a few laps in the Merc before plumping for a car, the five laps were all slow so Supra it was.

Entered the first slot alongside @watto79 and @T_revisio and put in what was a decent qualy time for me, think it was 1:38.5, second run got abandoned after making a mess of the final turn and the third run was 0.2 up but ended badly, so 15th on the grid. Hards on to start.

Long story short, ran a 4-8-8 strategy, crunched into the barrier at Death Chicane on L1, giving me damage, a 1s penalty and a couple of positions lost, had a harsh 2s penalty when trying to let someone through while on hard tyres (knowing they were on mediums). Came out after my second stop dead level with a Brit but he was able to take the place into T1 and that ended up costing me quite badly as it took me four or five laps to get past, finished 14th, third in a train of four cars separated by around 1.5s.

A clean run would have seen the top ten threatened, the guy I tried to let through did a 1-9-10 and his tyres were beyond dead at the end (he headed the train of four).

A race decided by very small margins at decisive moments, when they go for you, you get a good result, and when they don't, you get a crap result! Not too displeased with my drive though

3 laps! 3 laps before someone started to get antsy and hit someone. Which happened to be me. I braked at the 100 mark for the chicane. Pretty certain nobody could brake much earlier than that. Plus, when you’re nearly a second behind. IDK. Managed an 11th, but don’t think I’m going to try again. Lost all faith today.

And they where the one who shouted, “take it easy. Be careful.”

Though, to be fair, the Ferrari was a bit lacking today. Shouldn’t have been midpack.

Both races today were one-and-dones for me.

Nations

I had a (mostly) good race at Dragon Trail. Qualified 10th and went with the 9M/9M/2H pit strategy. Right off the bat, the death chicane claimed its first victim, a Peugeot, and I climbed up to 9th. Another Aston behind me braked too late coming into the first hairpin shortly afterward, but thankfully missed me. On to lap 2, another death chicane accident occurred, this time a Corvette that was in 2nd. Up to 8th now. From that point, I was held up by a Supra that was taking the death chicane and the S-curves slower than they had to (they were on Mediums), which was a bit frustrating as I didn't want 6th and up to start pulling away. However, I was able to pass the Supra towards the end of lap 4.

Nothing really major happened again until lap 14, where I take 5th after yet another person crashed on the death chicane. I soon catch up to a GT-R on lap 16. But after clearing turn 1, this happens and I get engine damage. :banghead:

The GT-R receives a 4 second penalty and I'm just lucky enough that the racers behind were too far away to capitalize on my crippled car. I recover, and stay in 4th until my final pit stop on lap 18. I come out in 7th and pass a Peugeot with 0.5 second penalty. I finish the race in 6th.

full

If it weren't for that incident with the GT-R, a top 5 finish would have been mine potentially. Dragon Trail reverse was feeling like a strong track for me the more I practiced it as well. But still, a good result at the end of the day.

Manufacturers

There wasn't really anything to write home about for this one. This combination was a uphill battle for the Huracan for sure though. I qualified 12th. I could have finished at least 7th but a mistake in braking at the Spoon Curve and hitting the back of a NSX while going through turn 1, giving me a 1 second penalty, meant I had to settle for 9th. Elsewhere, FF unfortunately dominated this race in the form of an Audi TT starting on pole. An Aston Martin driver was keeping up with it, but they spun out on 130R, allowing the TT to win by a country mile.

full

Anyway, looking forward to the final round of both series next weekend. :)

Last edited:
Think that vacation did me good, even if I did miss a great (IMO) week of dailies. 2 races, 2 victories!

Enjoyed Nations, love the track and absolutly love the Aston Martin. Was in with @Master Weasel with number 1 on the door. Qualified 4th and slipped back a place after a poor first lap. After that I was just very consistant, the 4 guys in front of me from that point made mistakes and I was able to take advantage. It helped that I nailed the chicane a good 15 or 16 times, scraping the wall and dropping a gear for the rest.

For the Manu's I was in with @wedjim and qualified 2nd with door #10. Plan was to take advantage of the stupid power the TT has and try break away in the first few laps. Managed to do just that and spent half the race tire saving. In the chat afterwards it was going down so I'm glad I left that mess behind, it was probably the reason I had such a comfortable gap.

2 races, 3k in DR and broke the 40K barrier. Good end to a good week.
IMG_0666.jpg
IMG_0665.jpg

Think that vacation did me good, even if I did miss a great (IMO) week of dailies. 2 races, 2 victories!

Enjoyed Nations, love the track and absolutly love the Aston Martin. Was in with @Master Weasel with number 1 on the door. Qualified 4th and slipped back a place after a poor first lap. After that I was just very consistant, the 4 guys in front of me from that point made mistakes and I was able to take advantage. It helped that I nailed the chicane a good 15 or 16 times, scraping the wall and dropping a gear for the rest.

For the Manu's I was in with @wedjim and qualified 2nd with door #10. Plan was to take advantage of the stupid power the TT has and try break away in the first few laps. Managed to do just that and spent half the race tire saving. In the chat afterwards it was going down so I'm glad I left that mess behind, it was probably the reason I had such a comfortable gap.

2 races, 3k in DR and broke the 40K barrier. Good end to a good week.

Man, I'm no good at noticing people from here being in the same lobby as me. :lol:

Congrats on the double win. :cheers:

I hate hards in this game. Feels like I'm on shopping cart wheels with I try to trail brake in the turns. Started 14th thinking I was going to be impossible to gain spots unless I run a smooth race and hope other ahead would mess up. That pretty much worked out in my favor as drivers were making mistakes and my car was doing better on wear. Was still stressful trying to keep good momentum as well as fighting off drivers behind me. The Aston was fast here as he spun out ahead of me but a couple laps later he was somehow right back with me. A lot of close racing which I didn't like with the new penalty system change but lucky no taps resulted in me getting hit with any. Had a three car battle for 6th on the last couple of laps and squeeze out ahead as the two cars got tangled up in the chicane. Wrapped up the first slot in 6th and finished ahead of GTHondapround who he and I are the top 2 Honda drivers in our area which I was happy about. The close racing may seem entertaining but had me sweating haha.

And I dont know what it is with the bright little friend in Oceania but there seem to be a few people they can race well with and everyone else gets run out of the way. I just let them through last time I ran against them as it played into my tire strat and minimized the chance I would get launched.

Who, me? :lol:

Managed to qualify 6th with a door number of 9 in the first timeslot, ahead of 4 other Aston drivers. Clearly not everyone share’s 05XR8’s views on that car, personally I find the Jaguar too light at the front end when driven with a wheel.
7134296659169641488_0.jpg

As the lights went out though things went backwards, literally. The slipstream meant I’d lost about 4 places by the third lap as I was mobbed by the other Aston drivers. But as is so often true, it was a race and not a sprint, and most of those same drivers either hit a wall or crashed into each other. I made it as high as 4th place by lap 6 as some drivers ducked in for an early pit, although an RC-F shot past me as if I were standing still - clearly someone was on a mission for first place (they did end up winning too). Credit to the driver of the green Viper who got me on the sharp left at the top of the hill - that was a brave manoeuvre!
7133733708681446416_0.jpg

I pitted for Hards on Lap 7 and fell back to 9th, but the change in tires didn’t seem to have too much of an effect on lap times, in fact I set some of my best times as the fuel load lightened, and I became more comfortable with the corner entry points. That is until I clipped the exit of the downhill S onto the home straight, bouncing over to the grass and doing a full 180 degree spin. The fight to get the car back on the track and pointing in the right direction took so much time that it left me in 16th, and thinking the race was over.
7134296661185003536_0.jpg

But as the race progressed, more and more drivers found themselves running wide into the sand as they pushed beyond the limits of their tires, or fighting amongst themselves and sending one or both off the track. I was back in 9th by Lap 15 having run Hards for as long as possible, I pitted for Mediums and a dash of fuel to get me over the line. I crossed the line in 6th place - a top effort given the mistakes I made, but with only 75 points awarded, the result won't count towards my total.

Last edited:
Well that was an entertaining evening of racing. My 1 and done rule got broken pretty hard tonight, for good reason. First manu I as in with @csmirnoff who had qualified ahead of me. I qualified 5th, which surprised me Since I literally only got 12 minutes of practice in the warm up for this race. The start of the race was a bit sketchy, I was still sorting out optimum braking points, trying not to make a mess. We were all bunched up pretty well, so it felt super easy with the draft To hang with the other cars. I noticed the leader making a little bit of a gap and that @csmirnoff and his McLaren were getting a little lose under braking with a slide here and there, at the end of the straight he got a little crossed up, so I put her in there and gave him a couple bumps in the process. Felt crappy, it wasn’t nasty, just not clean. I honestly didn’t think he’d gather it up so well, expecting him not to be there when I got there, but in hindsight I should have been more patient, my apologies....in any event the next Few laps we had built a gap back to 5th, but the 2nd and 3rd place cars were battling hard. I kept having to check up far more than usual, Trying to avoid contact. Of course the gap was now gone. Finally they made contact enough to go off line and when 3rd checked up I went around the outside to stay on 2nds bumper. He must not have known I was there. I got shoved off track. As I came back on now in 14th, a Mustang pushed me back into the grass again, 20th. All in a matter of 8 seconds. I fought back to 11th, with some aggressive drivers making it SUPER hard to get any clean laps in the process. 118 pts

...went again. Qualified 5th again. Got up to 2nd briefly behind @CJam Thinking we would be 1-2. But the car I passed for second had a track limit penalty. I went wide on the High speed left hander, trying to avoid contact, Gained 2nd but caught the curb too much and spun in circles for what seemed like hours. 7th place, where the bumping and grinding was going on. When a racer, lets call him “B” tried to out brake me into the final chicane I shut the door. He didn’t like that and two laps later when I was held up by a Viper that was going a bit slow, he caught up and slammed me and 3 other cars off track at the hairpin. I made his next couple turns miserable and sent him packing for the beach and he had a big penalty of course. He told me after that it was for blocking the turn and I was using poor etiquette. Interesting perspective about manners. I finished 9th. 128pts.

...I went a 3rd time, Qualified 3rd, everything stayed clean This time for us up front. And the Scirocco from pole used up his tires and I passed him for 2nd on the final lap. 199 pts.

Nations was uneventful, clean, used the Aston. Door 15, Q6 and finished 4th using a 10M/1H/9M strategy. 173 pts.

Well, this evening was rather eventful in Nations. Pretty straightforward in Manufacturers.

Nations Slot 1: Got placed into 2nd or 1st split with @Winnie847 and some other drivers I didn't have a hope of keeping up with. Unsurprisingly I qualified 14th, so I went with a 2H/6M/6M/6M strategy and finished 9th. Points weren't enough to count, so I had to go again.

Manufacturers Slot 1: Once again was with @Winnie847, and also this time @Razgriz2118 joined us. I qualified 7th and finished 5th after taking advantage of some mistakes and a disconnect, and in spite of running wide between Turns 1 and 2 twice. I got 195 points, which was enough to count towards my final score, but it barely improved my score so I decided to go again.

Nations Slot 2: I was hoping that the Top 16 race would take all of the faster drivers I ran into in the 1st slot, and it appears that it worked. I qualified 2nd, and led the first 3 laps...until I spun myself when I ran wide on the final corner. :banghead:. I also got bitten by the Chicane of Death later. I was looking at at least a podium finish before I took myself out. Running 8th and far from any meaningful points on the last lap, I threw the car at some walls in frustration and finished 16th.

Manufacturers Slot 2: Ran into @Winnie847 yet again, as well at @Granadier. This time I qualified 4th and finished 3rd. I ran as high as 2nd after @Winnie847 got a stupid 0.5s in the very first turn of the race and one of the other front-runners spun in the same spot a little bit later. Eventually I let @Winnie847 by going into Turn 1 after he had a look inside, and I knew I wouldn't be able to keep him behind. The 3 of us at the front had built a nice gap back to 4th place, and I didn't want to risk fighting and having them catch up, plus I was hoping @Winnie847 could run down the leader, they'd get into a battle, and I'd be able to pass at least one of them. :lol:. In spite of running wide at both Turn 1 and 130R, I held on to 3rd for 210 points, which is my 2nd best score. The effect of the buff the Gr. 4 Corvette got at the first BoP update is very obvious; at the first Manufacturers Championship round at Suzuka, I had to drive the wheels off of the car just to get 9th for 144 points. Of course this meant I was done with Manufacturer's for the evening.

Nations Slot 3: Once again got put into Top Split with @Winnie847, and this time @SpecMiata-JSW also joined us. I was determined to get points after stupidly ruining my own race last time (as well as last weekend's Nation's race, where I put the car on pole and jumped the start...). I qualified 8th and opted for a 2-stop race when previously I'd been doing 3 stops. I finished 7th for 193 points, which was short of my 200 point goal, but still improved my points total by 18. Unfortunately the game gave @SpecMiata-JSW a stupid penalty after I lightly tapped them in the rear on the run to the 2nd hairpin. Nothing happened to either of us, but the game decided they deserved a 2s penalty. Thankfully they didn't lose anymore spots due to the 2s penalty other than to me. There was also this incident during the race:

Earlier this person tried to run me off the track on the exit of the 1st hairpin after the Chicane of Death, then at the incident in the video they had just served a penalty and nudged me off the track as I overtook them. I was worried the game would give me a penalty after they spun off track due to contact with me, but I got away with it! :lol: Also, yes I chose to use the Corvette. In my practice sessions, none of the commonly used cars were appreciably faster than the Corvette, so I decided to stick with it.

Last edited:
Well, this evening was rather eventful in Nations. Pretty straightforward in Manufacturers.

Nations Slot 1: Got placed into 2nd or 1st split with @Winnie847 and some other drivers I didn't have a hope of keeping up with. Unsurprisingly I qualified 14th, so I went with a 2H/6M/6M/6M strategy and finished 9th. Points weren't enough to count, so I had to go again.

Manufacturers Slot 1: Once again was with @Winnie847, and also this time @Razgriz2118 joined us. I qualified 7th and finished 5th after taking advantage of some mistakes and a disconnect, and in spite of running wide between Turns 1 and 2 twice. I got 195 points, which was enough to count towards my final score, but it barely improved my score so I decided to go again.

Nations Slot 2: I was hoping that the Top 16 race would take all of the faster drivers I ran into in the 1st slot, and it appears that it worked. I qualified 2nd, and led the first 3 laps...until I spun myself when I ran wide on the final corner. :banghead:. I also got bitten by the Chicane of Death later. I was looking at at least a podium finish before I took myself out. Running 8th and far from any meaningful points on the last lap, I threw the car at some walls in frustration and finished 16th.

Manufacturers Slot 2: Ran into @Winnie847 yet again, as well at @Granadier. This time I qualified 4th and finished 3rd. I ran as high as 2nd after @Winnie847 got a stupid 0.5s in the very first turn of the race and one of the other front-runners spun in the same spot a little bit later. Eventually I let @Winnie847 by going into Turn 1 after he had a look inside, and I knew I wouldn't be able to keep him behind. The 3 of us at the front had built a nice gap back to 4th place, and I didn't want to risk fighting and having them catch up, plus I was hoping @Winnie847 could run down the leader, they'd get into a battle, and I'd be able to pass at least one of them. :lol:. In spite of running wide at both Turn 1 and 130R, I held on to 3rd for 210 points, which is my 2nd best score. The effect of the buff the Gr. 4 Corvette got at the first BoP update is very obvious; at the first Manufacturers Championship round at Suzuka, I had to drive the wheels off of the car just to get 9th for 144 points. Of course this meant I was done with Manufacturer's for the evening.

Nations Slot 3: Once again got put into Top Split with @Winnie847, and this time @SpecMiata-JSW also joined us. I was determined to get points after stupidly ruining my own race last time (as well as last weekend's Nation's race, where I put the car on pole and jumped the start...). I qualified 8th and opted for a 2-stop race when previously I'd been doing 3 stops. I finished 7th for 193 points, which was short of my 200 point goal, but still improved my points total by 18. Unfortunately the game gave @SpecMiata-JSW a stupid penalty after I lightly tapped them in the rear on the run to the 2nd hairpin. Nothing happened to either of us, but the game decided they deserved a 2s penalty. Thankfully they didn't lose anymore spots due to the 2s penalty other than to me. There was also this incident during the race:

Earlier this tried to run me off the track on the exit of the 1st hairpin after the Chicane of Death, then at the incident in the video they had just served a penalty and nudged me off the track as I overtook them. I was worried the game would give me a penalty after they spun off track due to contact with me, but I got away with it! :lol: Also, yes I chose to use the Corvette. In my practice sessions, none of the commonly used cars were appreciably faster than the Corvette, so I decided to stick with it.

Oh my god, that is pure and unadultered, natural karma. Beautiful. I'm glad it all went well for ya! I couldn't run FIA today as I was busy with studies. :grumpy:

I
My Nation's went, well OK. No great, not bad. I was door #8, I was q8 and ended up p8
I unfortunately murdered a McLaren in the COD on lap 3. On lap two he brakes early for COD as he is right behind another car and I anticipate this and keep my distance. But on lap 3 he is clear ahead, brakes at 100 as I do, but then brake a second time in the kink itself. I was right behind and really had nowhere to go so he got plowed pretty bad. I felt sorry bit didn't think it was really my fault so I went on.
It was rather uneventful after that,I ran two stints on medium then went hards in l18 and took it really careful through COD. Then on l19 I clipped the second wall hard and no reset even though I was facing the wrong way.
Only lost one position though.
PS_Messages_20200802_085029.jpg

Manu well.. same. OK.
I was aware that I was in for a rough run, the Mustang is not really a handling car. So I was going to race a Tortoise-Hare race and just do as Clint Eastwood in Heartbreak Ridge.
Door #19, qualified 19 and finished as 14.
I was slowest in the lobby, no doubt, but on lap 3 I was on p12 all due to people running off left and right.
Unfortunately this also meant a lot of rough overtakes on me. One Italian passed me on the inside in T1 by bumping into me and moving me out of the way while giving me a 2 sec penalty. Then in Degner II he spun out in front of me soI tapped him into the sand, purely by accident, and got 4 seconds..
Well he did pass me again, I lifted on the straight to avoid another accident with him.
I simply kept to my own pace, let people by and ran consistently 2:14, 2:13 the whole race with my fastest lap a 2:13:2 on lap 14.
PS_Messages_20200802_092054.jpg

Last edited:
A bit late, but just want to share my testing results for the meme SSRX race to make a point. Done in custom race and N900 AI so they stay in front of me for the whole first straight. Even so, the draft top speed is probably still lower than what you get in the actual race because the AI doesn't really draft each other and you pass them too quickly.

Car / Draft Top Speed / Normal Top Speed / Minimum Corner Speed (all in km/h)
458 Italia / 432 / 406 / 404
NSX 2017 / 427 / 406 / 403
Aventador / 431 / 408 / 410*
MP4-12C / 424 / 406 / 404
SLS AMG / 429 / 407 / 407
R33 GTR / 427 / 407 / 407
R34 GTR / 428 / 408 / 407
Huayra / 425 / 407 / 406

*A bit odd that the Lambo maintains a higher corner speed than its normal top speed - I probably had a little residual draft going into the corner so discount this result. Shouldn't affect the rest of the analysis though.

As you can see, all of the cars are actually very well balanced in terms of non-draft speed (within 2 km/h). It's when drafting is taken into account that the 458 Italia becomes OP. The reason for this is because of the powerband - all of the other cars are either at the limiter or past their peak power at top speed. Whereas the Italia still has over half rev bar left to spare and because it makes full power at redline, the faster you go, the more power it has and as a result it can still maintain acceleration. The Aventador is the closest (which I used for the first race), but it accelerates wayyy to slowly (I dropped from 9th to 15th before the first turn alone, and got involved in the classic T1 pileup as a result). All the others are pretty useless really.

So back to the point I'm trying to make: PD handpicked 8 cars and tuned the gearbox specifically for this race. They only had 1 parameter (top speed) to balance all the cars around, and they couldn't avoid making one car the META because they didn't think of the draft effect. How can we expect them to balance 20-30 Gr.3/4 cars, of varying different drivetrain and handling, across all the game tracks and various tyre/fuel wear combos?

It's impossible ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Last edited:
A bit late, but just want to share my testing results for the meme SSRX race to make a point. Done in custom race and N900 AI so they stay in front of me for the whole first straight. Even so, the draft top speed is probably still lower than what you get in the actual race because the AI doesn't really draft each other and you pass them too quickly.

Car / Draft Top Speed / Normal Top Speed / Minimum Corner Speed (all in km/h)
458 Italia / 432 / 406 / 404
NSX 2017 / 427 / 406 / 403
Aventador / 431 / 408 / 410*
MP4-12C / 424 / 406 / 404
SLS AMG / 429 / 407 / 407
R33 GTR / 427 / 407 / 407
R34 GTR / 428 / 408 / 407
Huayra / 425 / 407 / 406

*A bit odd that the Lambo maintains a higher corner speed than its normal top speed - I probably had a little residual draft in the corner so discount this result. Shouldn't affect the rest of the analysis though.

As you can see, all of the cars are actually very well balanced in terms of non-draft speed (within 2 km/h). It's when drafting is taken into account that the 458 Italia becomes OP. The reason for this is because of the powerband - all of the other cars are either at the limiter or past their peak power at top speed. Whereas the Italia still has over half rev bar left to spare and because it makes full power at redline, the faster you go, the more power it has and the quicker it accelerates! The Aventador is the closest (which I used for the first race), but it accelerates wayyy to slowly (I dropped from 9th to 15th before the first turn alone, and got involved in the classic T1 pileup as a result). All the others are pretty useless really.

So back to the point I'm trying to make: PD handpicked 8 cars and tuned the gearbox specifically for this race. They only had 1 parameter (top speed) to balance all the cars around, and they couldn't avoid making one car the META because they didn't think of the draft effect. How can we expect them to balance 20-30 Gr.3/4 cars, of varying different drivetrain and handling, across all the game tracks and various tyre/fuel wear combos?

It's impossible ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I actually think the simplest problem was that they allowed bump drafting. Any of those cars against each other in a two car race and it could have gone either way, get a bunch of 458s bump drafting and they push and pull each other away, which people figured out pretty quickly and so the races became trains with there being no benefit to pulling out of the train. No bump drafting/contact (or at least limited) would have made all cars competitive in a race of twenty.

It would be interesting to see what the Huayra - which got dropped if it wasn't pushed - would do with 1% more power, whether it suddenly became OP

Last edited:
I actually think the simplest problem was that they allowed bump drafting. Any of those cars against each other in a two car race and it could have gone either way, get a bunch of 458s bump drafting and they push and pull each other away, which people figured out pretty quickly and so the races became trains with there being no benefit to pulling out of the train. No bump drafting/contact (or at least limited) would have made all cars competitive in a race of twenty.

It would be interesting to see what the Huayra - which got dropped if it wasn't pushed - would do with 1% more power, whether it suddenly became OP

It's an oval race though, so bump drafting is totally on the cards as a legit tactic, just like in real life and they absolutely did the right thing allowing it by disabling penalties.

Even if they did not allow any form of car-to-car contact, just by drafting and slingshotting past one another the 458 would still be OP because it won't lose speed as quickly as the other cars out of the slip. On my second race I used the MP4-12C and I was in a drafting train (getting pulled AND pushed) and I was still losing ground. Eventually the 458 pushing me realized the futility, passed me and joined the front pack. I was left for dead immediately. It's no contest.

Again, I don't really mind the idea of a car being META in its class, because it's nigh impossible to balance the wide variety of cars in the game with all the permutations. But if PD are letting free choice of several cars, then I expect them to do their homework properly. Otherwise why give the choice? Just make it one make and we'd be none the wiser :lol:

It's an oval race though, so bump drafting is totally on the cards as a legit tactic, just like in real life and they absolutely did the right thing allowing it by disabling penalties.

Even if they did not allow any form of car-to-car contact, just by drafting and slingshotting past one another the 458 would still be OP because it won't lose speed as quickly as the other cars out of the slip. On my second race I used the MP4-12C and I was in a drafting train (getting pulled AND pushed) and I was still losing ground. Eventually the 458 pushing me realized the futility, passed me and joined the front pack. I was left for dead immediately. It's no contest.

Again, I don't really mind the idea of a car being META in its class, because it's nigh impossible to balance the wide variety of cars in the game with all the permutations. But if PD are letting free choice of several cars, then I expect them to do their homework properly. Otherwise why give the choice? Just make it one make and we'd be none the wiser :lol:

I actually think it's amazing that with the information you've given there the normal top speeds without drafts aren't identical (Because they should be I think?)! Like that has me more confused than the draft top speed!

My theory was the 458 has higher downforce(maybe ground effects?). It helps in the banking by holding speed longer than the other cars. The final drive is what kept it quick when exiting the banking. However, "low" top speed. Scratching my head with the draft speed though.

Alrighty then... I was curious how P1 made time in the WRX. Crazy to see how the fast players use every bit of the track. Loaded the ghost:

That's ridiculous.:eek:
IMG_20200802_210717.jpg

I actually think it's amazing that with the information you've given there the normal top speeds without drafts aren't identical (Because they should be I think?)! Like that has me more confused than the draft top speed!

They should in an ideal world. But this is PD we're talking about so I'm willing to tolerate 1-2 km/h margin. Also if you use mph as the speed measure they all probably are within <1 mph so whoever testing it probably thought it was good enough.

Slightly OT but I love your throwback youtube streams with GT1/2. As someone who grew up with these games and know them back to front, I love seeing your fresh reactions to discovering all the quirky and awesome cars in the first 2 games. GT2 especially has heaps of awesome prize cars and I can't wait to see you discovering them :D

My theory was the 458 has higher downforce(maybe ground effects?). It helps in the banking by holding speed longer than the other cars. The final drive is what kept it quick when exiting the banking. However, "low" top speed. Scratching my head with the draft speed though.

I thought of this as well but it doesn't explain it. The 458 has 0/100 downforce. Aventador 50/100. MP4-12C 0/80. NSX 0/0. The Huayra has the highest, something like 100/200. The SLS/R33/R34 only has small amount on the rear (less than 50 IIRC).

So if anything, the 458 would actually lose more speed in the turns because the car's aero balance tends towards understeer and you have to turn the wheel more to maintain the same radius, and hence increased tyre scrub (and the result shows - it has one of the lowest min corner speed).

Inversely the Aventador's high corner maintenance speed could be due to it holding its line better thanks to the more balanced F/R downforce (but not too much as in the case of Huayra that it's actually actively slowing the car down). The NSX is totally rubbish because its hybrid battery doesn't kick in at all at those speeds so it's actual power is even less than the shown BOP power.

In the draft (especially Weak draft as used here), air resistance is pretty much gone so the effects of downforce/drag can be ignored. Imagine you're driving in a vacuum so your top speed is pretty much determined by your engine power at whatever RPM you're sitting at. And I can assure you, the 458's power graph is still climbing when others are plateauing or going downhill. The MP4 for example makes peak power at quarter rev bar so it has no more oomph at top speed.

Last edited:

It wasn't really an oval race so much as a drag race, no easing off anywhere!

I agree in the main, all I'm saying is they expected bump drafting because they turned the penalties off, but bump drafting rendered at least two cars useless and when you couple it with pinball physics it made the 'race' a complete non-event that was punctuated by the odd massive smash. Not allowing it would have made it a race, rather than the processional train it required.

I'm probably in the minority, but it was a total waste of time to me. You either got in the train or you lost out - but you couldn't actually gain by being in the train

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back