FIA Race Discussion [Archive]

• Thread starter adstomko
  • 24,947 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
I use the custom races all the time to practice for the FIA races. I have found that my tire wear and fuel usage are the same in the custom races as they are in the FIA races. So they have been useful to pick my pit strategy for FIA. Keep in mind, though, that I am a low DR B driver, so I'm not really going to notice if my lap times are few tenths different per lap between the two races :).

The only race that was really different was the Spa race in the rain. I had a ton of grip and much faster lap times in the custom race than the FIA race. The custom race was kind of fun, the FIA version was a slippery disaster for me!

You need to change the off track grip to 'real' to match FIA in the settings. It has 'low' as a preset.

Honda is a very solid all-round bet for those considering a switch for next season. Both Gr.3 and 4 NSX's are consistent on tyre's and very decent on fuel. Whilst the Gr.3 NSX can be a bit tricky to learn at first (similarly to the 458 and Huracan), with a bit of practice it becomes a really nice, smooth car to drive, just got to be careful of over-zealous curb usage. Otherwise both are very competitive runners, and as shown can certainly be front runners in the right hands, though I'm nowhere near quick enough or reliable to unlock all it's potential :lol:.

Thanks for the suggestion, i might actually go for Honda. the cars look awesome and i think i can make a livery suitable for both gr 3 en gr 4. (and even gr 2)

so it might be Honda then...... will test how they handle tomorrow after my nightshift.

now hoping the next BoP update will not target them.....

Here's why I'm especially happy about my Q1/P3 at SSRX:
1. It's my highest point finish for the entire season of the Nations Cup.
2. By the time eight scores are counted at the very end of the season, this high score will also eliminate my lowest score, which was about 50 points, whereas most of the other scores that will be counted will be worth 80 or more.
3. I've skyrocketed to being 5th in my state (Connecticut), within the top 300 for USA, and top 350 for USA/Canada.

Anyway, like I said, I don't really plan to enter the last three Nations Cup rounds, and I was too tired for the Manufacturers Series round at RBR on Wednesday, so I'm gonna try to enter these last three rounds of the Manufacturers Series, and see how I end up.

It seems like Lamborghini is getting a bit more shine these days in FIA. I wanna say they are like in the top 10 global Manu rankings. I almost never saw the Huracan in past Manu's or exhibition seasons but now they seem to making a few more "special guest appearances". I know I probably need my head examined for this one... I'm thinking of going with Lamborghini for whenever the next season starts. Any words of wisdom from folks that have chosen them in the past?

It seems like Lamborghini is getting a bit more shine these days in FIA. I wanna say they are like in the top 10 global Manu rankings. I almost never saw the Huracan in past Manu's or exhibition seasons but now they seem to making a few more "special guest appearances". I know I probably need my head examined for this one... I'm thinking of going with Lamborghini for whenever the next season starts. Any words of wisdom from folks that have chosen them in the past?

The Huracáns are definitely both quick but are a bit harder to master, worth it of you're up for more of a challenge.

I like my race car to sound good from hood view. That's the view I use most. In-car is important as well. As for the type of car, I prefer a sedan over the look of an MR.

My ideal Gr.4 would be my avatar. M4, and Atenza come close. The M4 would be my choice, as it has the 6-cylinder and three-box style. If the Atenza and also the WRX, were RWD like their GR.3 bigger sisters, I'd definitely use them more.

McLaren F1 is bad on fuel and tyres isn't it? Or have I been living under a rock for these past days? I'd like to pick them next to be honest. Either that or Peugeot / Audi.

McLaren F1 is bad on fuel and tyres isn't it? Or have I been living under a rock for these past days? I'd like to pick them next to be honest. Either that or Peugeot / Audi.
Tyre wear isn't the issue.
Its downforce is much lower than the modern GT3 cars. So, it doesn't corner as well. It does have top end though.

About the Chevy. I do love the GR.4 C7. INcar sound and hood view. My Dad was a GM mainly Chevy Man. I could go for the C7 too.

...now hoping the next BoP update will not target them.....

You probably won't need to worry about that, both Gr.3 and 4 Hondas seem to go under the radar when it comes to BoP changes (perhaps a good thing :lol:), and often seem forgotten. The Gr.4's 1% weight reduction; which helped, was the first time in a long while I can remember either NSX getting a notable BoP change, though I could be wrong there. If I was to be really picky, a 1% power increase for the Gr.3 NSX wouldn't hurt, though considering its handling advantages, not a necessity right now.

Hopefully I haven't jinxed it saying all that now!

Had a real weird and good nations race this week. Started on pole for the Route X race. First pole for me in the worst race to get it in, hah. Almost immediately overtaken by slipstream, down to 5th, 6th, but staying with the pack. On lap 2 I got bumped off the top of the track in a turn, sparks everywhere, down to 10th. Thanks to another crash up ahead got back to 6th and the rest of the pack dropped off. Used slip to take the lead in last turn. Crossed the line very close and got win by something like .002 seconds. I did not get credit for leading a lap. Watching the replay, I was listed in p2, slightly behind when the checkered flag came up on my car before the car listed in p1. Looked like he crossed first but after the line I jumped to p1. I wonder if it was some kind of lag in the replay or I got credit for a win I didn't get? Anyway, first pole, first FIA win ever. woo-hoo.

I’m no expert when it comes to analyzing a car’s strengths and weaknesses, but because Lamborghini is my “main”, I think I can make a few comments based on my experience with the Huracans.

The Gr. 4 is a pretty balanced car. Fun to drive too. It's 4WD though, so it's a given that understeer can be a bit of an issue sometimes.

The Gr. 3 can definitely be a handful. It shines the most on high speed tracks like Fuji and the Tokyo Expressway courses. However, I'd say its biggest weakness are low speed turns. It has a tendency to start rotating when tackling those types of corners, which can lose you time or positions if you're not prepared to deal with it. Also, beware of worn tires when driving it. The car becomes a nightmare if they wear out too much. It will start to slide, almost like you’re driving on ice. This happened to me at the Blue Moon race.

On a side note, I'm probably going to try Mazda next season, mainly because of the RX Vison car.

I’m no expert when it comes to analyzing a car’s strengths and weaknesses, but because Lamborghini is my “main”, I think I can make a few comments based on my experience with the Huracans.

The Gr. 4 is a pretty balanced car. Fun to drive too. It's 4WD though, so it's a given that understeer can be a bit of an issue sometimes.

The Gr. 3 can definitely be a handful. It shines the most on high speed tracks like Fuji and the Tokyo Expressway courses. However, I'd say its biggest weakness are low speed turns. It has a tendency to start rotating when tackling those types of corners, which can lose you time or positions if you're not prepared to deal with it. Also, beware of worn tires when driving it. The car becomes a nightmare if they wear out too much. It will start to slide, almost like you’re driving on ice. This happened to me at the Blue Moon race.

On a side note, I'm probably going to try Mazda next season, mainly because of the RX Vison car.
I might also go with Mazda, basically because I've owned them for 12 years and have been waiting for them to produce this RX Vision for however long it is! Screenshot of a Facebook share from four years ago - pretty similar...

Screenshot_20200731-203714_Facebook.jpg

Tyre wear isn't the issue.
Its downforce is much lower than the modern GT3 cars. So, it doesn't corner as well. It does have top end though.

About the Chevy. I do love the GR.4 C7. INcar sound and hood view. My Dad was a GM mainly Chevy Man. I could go for the C7 too.
My Dad worked for GMC, and I'm from the Detroit area, so they're very much my "home team". Ford is also obviously a home team, but I have a slight preference for GM.

The Corvettes have always been very stable, manageable machines in this game. They're definitely not amazing at any one thing, and as far as I know have NEVER been a META at any track, but I'd say their greatest strength is low-speed acceleration. I can often get away with running 1 gear higher than other cars when accelerating and launch out of corners without even thinking about throttle control.

My ideal Gr.4 would be my avatar.

Shame they switched to the Supra for this year. Was a awesome car.

Has PD said anything about whether there will be a next season? Unless something changes physics wise from PS4 to 5, then it’s Mazda.

Thanks a lot for this info! I've been using it to practice for tomorrows Nations race and that last "S" before the final sweeping left hander is very tricky to navigate once the tires start to go, and when it starts to spin it seems nearly impossible to catch. I've tried partial throttle and no throttle and so far i've not been able to save it. Thinking about Bathurst, it must be a handful as you start to descend the mountain.

Oh yeah, which curve caught you out at Blue Moon?

What's everyone's choice for car for this Nation's round at Dragon Trail? At least from the NA Top 10 leaderboards, it doesn't look like there's a super-meta car. 3 Supras, 3 V12 Vantages, 2 Beetles, a 650S, and a GTR make up the leaderboard. I just finished watching @Mistah_MCA 's guide (thank you for the super amount of detail) where he goes over the Supra, GTR, and V12 Vantage, and it seems like any of those 3 could work depending on your driving style. I hope I have enough time to test all of the options :scared: I'm not sure about the Supra due to tire wear, since I'm not the best at conserving my tires/I tend to get flustered on worn tires, and I don't know if the 3 stop would work due to traffic.

Nations looking like a two or three stop tomorrow? My initial thoughts are a two stop 7-7-6 or 6-7-7 (in the Supra). Delta from mediums to hards is quite high but so is tyre wear and dragging out mediums for too long is detrimental

Seems like it could be either, depending on how good you are with your tires, so this should make for a pretty interesting race due to the difference in strategies.

Red Bull Ring was likely the last best shot for Nissan. Didn't work out. Even with soft tires available, the car lost too much pace trying to fuel save so I didn't bother.

On the flip side, that made for some fun moments. A drag down the straight going three wide? Yes, please.

Eventually took a win in a late slot because I wanted to get a final one for Nissan this season.

Won't Tokyo be a good chance for Nissan?

What's everyone's choice for car for this Nation's round at Dragon Trail? At least from the NA Top 10 leaderboards, it doesn't look like there's a super-meta car. 3 Supras, 3 V12 Vantages, 2 Beetles, a 650S, and a GTR make up the leaderboard. I just finished watching @Mistah_MCA 's guide (thank you for the super amount of detail) where he goes over the Supra, GTR, and V12 Vantage, and it seems like any of those 3 could work depending on your driving style. I hope I have enough time to test all of the options :scared: I'm not sure about the Supra due to tire wear, since I'm not the best at conserving my tires/I tend to get flustered on worn tires, and I don't know if the 3 stop would work due to traffic.

Seems like it could be either, depending on how good you are with your tires, so this should make for a pretty interesting race due to the difference in strategies.
My attempt at condensing all of my findings into a quick summary didn't work out too well. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Posts

Back