FIA Race Discussion [Archive]

• Thread starter adstomko
  • 24,947 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
So for nations top 16 i was in 2 minds about which car to use but went with the aston since i am more familiar with it, once again ran my own race, picked my battles, let the others die of death at the bustop (i don't like calling it the chicane of death) and other dubious penalties and came home in 6th

I lucked my way into manu top 16 by way of no shows and "A+"s, i didn't practice a whole lot because it's a sprint race and didn't need to test different tyre compounds, however my lack of pace showed, qualified poorly, had a fun battle with maca while it lasted, i did a pretty poor defensive move into the hairpin, he bumped me, no penalties, karma got me as i went wide at t1 on my own, we messaged after and he said he missed his brake marker, i apologised for a bad move, it's racing, if i didn't make those mistakes i may have scraped a few more spots because of inevitable battling and dodgy penalties which would've helped my chances at scraping into the final top 16 race

When I first practiced for this race, I tried both the Focus and the RCZ and at first the Focus was several tenths quicker for exactly the reasons you described. I then did a practice race with @watto79 and in the practice before the actual race, the Focus felt way more understeery due to the physics change that comes with tire wear being turned on, so I opted to try the RCZ again, and it felt way better. In race physics, with tire wear (and especially with fuel weight), the RCZ feels almost neutral. You might find it more manageable in those conditions.

I went back to free practice afterwards and tried to get the RCZ to cooperate and I was finally able to go faster than the Focus, by less than 0.2s.
Now this is making me curious. I have a season long standing plan against practice, and only knocked a few laps out to hit my daily workout. But now I am keen to give it some sort of test. So does anyone remember if we were able to mess with the power distribution like you can in normal races or is it locked in? I cant seem to find info from last season.

Now this is making me curious. I have a season long standing plan against practice, and only knocked a few laps out to hit my daily workout. But now I am keen to give it some sort of test. So does anyone remember if we were able to mess with the power distribution like you can in normal races or is it locked in? I cant seem to find info from last season.

In FP you can move the power around.

I’m going in blind with this. Can’t recall last time I’ve driven these cars. But might go with the Lancer as I gave it about 3 laps tonight to at least set a time. But might go and buy the Peugeot and give it a chance. Though the Mitsubishi is a big car and might have a strategic advantage, especially as I feel this will be a session of bumper cars.

Or knowing this will be a bad event, just focus on the Gr. 4 @ the Ring. The 458 loves these short sprints.

Ahhh of course, mph/kmh that makes sense me being a bit dopey haha!

Haha, ye gran turismo 1 I played so much as a child, but having never played GT2, my word what an upgrade it was from GT1!! Glad you're liking them though, although my thumbs were killing after the last one haha!

Haha I just caught up with your IC license attempts. That Camaro blind corner test was also a killer for me. I remember that and the Alfa around the Colloseum were among the last 3 tests I golded (the last one being Altezza A-4). It's definitely a humbling experience going back to the older games compared to how easy most of the tests are since GT6 onwards. Though I'm sure the lack of fine control with the d-pad/old analogs played a part too.

I know it's early days, but once you build up enough credits I'd love for you to try out the Espace F1 and Wiegert Vector. Probably the 2 craziest cars in the game. Also, try Race Modding the Ford Taurus and Dodge Intrepid. Not gonna spoil the surprise ;)

The GTO LM you just won can be used to win the Special Event>GT All Stars race at Red Rock Valley. Best money spinner since you can sell the TVR Speed 12 for 500k credits with just ~6 mins racing. Ok, I should stop before I take this thread totally off track :lol:

I just did a few laps around Tsukuba in the group B cars as I have pretty much no experience in them. Cam anyone give me any indication as to why people are all over the RCZ? I felt fine lapping in the genesis, better than the pug even. Is there something I am missing about the cars that would cost me?

As I will be in a mid to low B lobby I dont think it is a real worry, but just thinking about tire wear or something as there is only 1 real straight there.

The RCZ has the best tyre life out of all the Gr.B cars. Even though the numbers don't show it in the settings screen, it's got slightly more downforce than all the other cars (it better be with that big ass splitter and wang). The only problem is as someone pointed out, it can get quite twitchy under braking.

The other alternatives are GT86 (lightest car so decent tyre wear and more stable than RCZ) and Focus (generally fastest over one lap, but front tyres suffer bad in the race). All the others are just not competitive unfortunately unless you just want to have a bit of a laugh.

You can change the power split in the race. Usually I'd start with 40:60 and then progressively move it back as the fronts wear in the race. I wouldn't go beyond 30:70 though as the power oversteer can get quite bad and you end up burning the rears instead. Though previous races are using Sports tyres and this one is with Racing so it might not be as bad. We'll see ;)

Haha I just caught up with your IC license attempts. That Camaro blind corner test was also a killer for me. I remember that and the Alfa around the Colloseum were among the last 3 tests I golded (the last one being Altezza A-4). It's definitely a humbling experience going back to the older games compared to how easy most of the tests are since GT6 onwards. Though I'm sure the lack of fine control with the d-pad/old analogs played a part too.

I know it's early days, but once you build up enough credits I'd love for you to try out the Espace F1 and Wiegert Vector. Probably the 2 craziest cars in the game. Also, try Race Modding the Ford Taurus and Dodge Intrepid. Not gonna spoil the surprise ;)

The GTO LM you just won can be used to win the Special Event>GT All Stars race at Red Rock Valley. Best money spinner since you can sell the TVR Speed 12 for 500k credits with just ~6 mins racing. Ok, I should stop before I take this thread totally off track :lol:

The RCZ has the best tyre life out of all the Gr.B cars. Even though the numbers don't show it in the settings screen, it's got slightly more downforce than all the other cars (it better be with that big ass splitter and wang). The only problem is as someone pointed out, it can get quite twitchy under braking.

The other alternatives are GT86 (lightest car so decent tyre wear and more stable than RCZ) and Focus (generally fastest over one lap, but front tyres suffer bad in the race). All the others are just not competitive unfortunately unless you just want to have a bit of a laugh.

You can change the power split in the race. Usually I'd start with 40:60 and then progressively move it back as the fronts wear in the race. I wouldn't go beyond 30:70 though as the power oversteer can get quite bad and you end up burning the rears instead. Though previous races are using Sports tyres and this one is with Racing so it might not be as bad. We'll see ;)
Thanks, this is the hidden issue I was looking out for with something like tire wear. Especially driving a crazy twitchy car around that track it will make a big difference. After trying to thrash the Pantera around there for a time trial I feel like I will be able to manage, but probably facing SR destruction as people dont brake, or I slide. Time to see.

Thanks, this is the hidden issue I was looking out for with something like tire wear. Especially driving a crazy twitchy car around that track it will make a big difference. After trying to thrash the Pantera around there for a time trial I feel like I will be able to manage, but probably facing SR destruction as people dont brake, or I slide. Time to see.

Yeah Gr.B races are always a huge lottery given how slidey these cars are. Lots of power, not a lot of grip and wobbly suspension don't mix well :P Especially around a tight track like Tsukuba and the current penalty system :scared: I would just slap Hards and not bother with pits because overtaking is impossible around here.

Tsukuba isn't in the radar. PD have been making fresh races the past month. Group C, Econo hatches/super minis, N800, Cayman vs Corvette. We've just got 993 vs 997 in Race A!

Rally cars at Tsukuba, is nearly going back to their old ways. Just bring back the awesome '65 Mini tuned race.

No stop is definitely the way to go tomorrow. I went from 9th out of 11 to 7th in a lobby mostly made up of A ranks with me at mid-B rank. It should have been 6th, but I cracked under the pressure from one of the one-stoppers at turn 10/11 hairpin and lost 2 places, only for one of them to accidentally take out the other at the same hairpin later on. My overtakes were all done in the pits, as overtaking on track is near-impossible barring a major mistake or incident.

I'm super excited for Gr.B on Tuesday as I really like taking cars that aren't Gr.3 or Gr.4 for a spin. Is the Audi usable? I know they hit its power hard in BoP but I do quite like driving it. Also, what do y'all expect to be the optimal strategy for someone starting from the back half (i.e. me)?

I’m looking forward to the Nurb event. The gr4 Chevy suddenly seems like it can compete.
My 2 best championship scores in Manufacturer's (2nd best coming at Suzuka) have been with the Gr 4 car. It's been a solid machine since it got a buff with the last BoP update. Funnily enough, all 5 of my remaining points scoring rounds have been with the Gr. 3 car though. I'm not sure I'll do the Nurb sprint though, as I hate the feel of that track, but I did have some decent pace from the practice and mock race I did yesterday.

I’m looking forward to the Nurb event. The gr4 Chevy suddenly seems like it can compete.

I had big issues with a few Vette's @ Suzuka this weekend. Think PD has them dialed in very well from the last update. I'm not worried about the chicane, but turn 1 and 4. T1 from the simple braking point. I'm not sold everyone will figure that one out before the start of the race. And T4 from the simple fact that the game has no idea that track limit penalties should be applied to running wide there.

I had big issues with a few Vette's @ Suzuka this weekend. Think PD has them dialed in very well from the last update. I'm not worried about the chicane, but turn 1 and 4. T1 from the simple braking point. I'm not sold everyone will figure that one out before the start of the race. And T4 from the simple fact that the game has no idea that track limit penalties should be applied to running wide there.
I really dislike that "cheat". I've always "obeyed"my own limit of at least two tyres over the lines. Everyone else just blazes into no man's land.

Doing the FP and seeing how players make time without tracks limits, is so bad. I couldn't believe I didn't get penalties from doing it.

Turn 1 and 4, hmmm.
I know turn 1 people don’t really drive it well. Two wide is really not a prob with not much time lost but what happens is Porsche’s bomb the inside then follow through waaay through it effectively blocking the whole track. Better braking grip in the daily wasn’t near the curb on the left either. In race imo best to brake mid track then turn it tight and stomp it.
It’s faster to enter wide, you can carry more speed if you sweep it but that’s not useful unless you’re way out front.
I like to practice it tighter.
Turn 4 doesn’t bother me. Same for all...
Edit group b Tsukuba?
...can’t do it.

Last edited:
The final chicane as well. Many think, "Oh, the car ahead is far right. That means they are giving me the entry to pass them. Okay, cool! I'll stick me car up their inside and they'll just back off for moi to claim victory. Easy peasie. Thank you, sucker..I mean, kind racer.".

I'm curious about strategy for tomorrow's Nation's race. Using the RCZ, I started getting a drop in performance on Mediums by around Lap 7, and by Lap 11 the were pretty much useless compared to the pace on fresh Hards, while I didn't get a drop in performance on the Hards until Lap 15, and they only started getting bad, but not falling-off-a-cliff bad, by around Lap 20 - with proper management, they still weren't too much slower. I was around 0.6s-1s faster on the Mediums before they dropped off, which for a short track like this is significant, but traffic will definitely be an issue, and if you want all-out raw pace, you'd need to do a 2 stop. I'm betting on the no-stop since I doubt it's going to be easy to pass people/pass people without getting a penalty for contact.

I'm curious about strategy for tomorrow's Nation's race. Using the RCZ, I started getting a drop in performance on Mediums by around Lap 7, and by Lap 11 the were pretty much useless compared to the pace on fresh Hards, while I didn't get a drop in performance on the Hards until Lap 15, and they only started getting bad, but not falling-off-a-cliff bad, by around Lap 20 - with proper management, they still weren't too much slower. I was around 0.6s-1s faster on the Mediums before they dropped off, which for a short track like this is significant, but traffic will definitely be an issue, and if you want all-out raw pace, you'd need to do a 2 stop. I'm betting on the no-stop since I doubt it's going to be easy to pass people/pass people without getting a penalty for contact.
That mirrors my results in a practice race yesterday. I'm thinking a 1-stop is the best option. As much as I'd love to do a 2-stop and use the Mediums as much as possible, the pit stop sequence is too long, and the pace difference between tires too small to make it work, at least when I tested it.

Last edited:
I'm super excited for Gr.B on Tuesday as I really like taking cars that aren't Gr.3 or Gr.4 for a spin. Is the Audi usable? I know they hit its power hard in BoP but I do quite like driving it. Also, what do y'all expect to be the optimal strategy for someone starting from the back half (i.e. me)?

I think a 1 stop, using mediums until the pace drops almost a second, than hards for the duration. A no stop on hards is viable also since the pit stop is long and passing is hard, many will one stop.

I'm thinking if I start like 7th-9th or below, I'll start on Hards to give myself the option of 1 stopping or no-stopping since I'm not too keen on trying to fight and pass on this track, especially in the opening stages where everyone is bunched up. Plus, regardless of which I choose, I'll be able to jump everyone who chooses Mediums in the beginning, and hopefully I'll have clean air to run some good laps / the people who pit earlier will be too busy fighting each other.

So if you are able to engage the moses effect Nations is for you.

I had an ugly qualifying session as it seemed the car was suddenly full of fuel. Start p12. Oh well. Doesn't matter. In the ensuing carnage I end up p5 once we hit the penalty zone lap 2.:eek:

I try to drive a smooth race from there since I started on hards. End up letting a few cars on mediums through, although 2 of those was when I spun wide trying to let through just 1. Ended up after pit stops trying to run down and pass p7 and p6. Laps are winding down, they are on hards, I have mediums. I simply cant get through, either they are battling, taking the whole track, or it would be a dive bomb.

Finally lap 24 they both go wide at the middle hairpin so I get past 1. Closing fast on p6 I brake where I thought was early, but they had to.brake earlier. I tap them wide, pull over and wait. Back to p8 again as p6 drives past us. :banghead::banghead:

Last lap I get beside on the first turn and stick my nose to the outside, waiting to brake early while they go late and cut back on the hairpin. But on that little right hand kink they turn into me and spin. I dont wait, just go. I know it was kind of aggressive, but still think that if they are expecting people to brake and leave them.room they could leave me.room as well.

I dunno. They were mad, and rightly so after the wreck, but I still feel it was iffy. In viewing the replay they are also the person I was.letting past when I spun myself.

Scored points, but not sure about the finish.

@ShiftingGears had a good recovery after the lap 1 carnage.

Here is the offending clip, starting with my pass to p7 and the redress. Then my view of the spin. I did only have up to front wheels beside them.

And @ShiftingGears I see you ran into on of our B/S lobby bad boys. He punted me to death in Manu and had a Nations lobby where everyone was trying to rip him a new one. Very short fuse for him. Great line for him in post-race as well.:lol::cheers:

Last edited:
Blew my only chance at good points in slot 2 and finished P5. Didn't do a race practice beforehand so probably deserved that.

Did top split slot 3 and won by 11 seconds. Unfortunately there were only 5-6 A+ drivers so it was only worth 220 points, so is of no use to me in the championship.

Can't make it into Nations T16 unless an Australian above me in the standings withdraws, so will just be hoping for a good slot 1 in the X2019 on Saturday.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back