Final Fantasy VII - PC version coming to PS4 Spring '15

• Thread starter Earth
  • 62 comments
The japanese got an extended version with maps and some other extras that was never translated or brought to the americas. Nothing groundbreaking or anything that alters the actual gameplay.

The PSOne classics let you download unmodified versions of the original PlayStation games, that's why you can't expect the visual upgrade the PC got (And shouldn't expect it, since you never got any indication of visual upgrade for this particular game or any other PSOne classic release on the PSN for that matter).

I've never really been a fan of the Final Fantasy franchise, but I've heard tons of good stuff about VII. I think I might give it a try.

You should if you like RPGs

You'll enjoy it if you can overlook the dated graphics

And another point..the game gets better and better as it goes on. The first 10 hours is very different from the next 10 hours, and the last 20 hours are different from the first 20 hours

I've seen too many guys play through the first 5 hours then say it doesnt live up to the hype and they put it up. I won't spoil anything but I will tell you the game becomes epic. I would at least play through disc 1 before quitting on it

And if its your first play through expect 100+ hours of gameplay to do everything, especially if you dont have a strategy guide. So worth $10

Boy are you fortunate, having never played FFVII

Last edited:
And if its your first play through expect 100+ hours of gameplay to do everything, especially if you dont have a strategy guide.
Isn't it 99:59+ since it can't actually go to 100? :P

Oh, and... found it! :D

It's exacly the same game. I have a disc copy as well, but due to the limited space in my game room, it's a pain to set up the old PS1 every time I want to play it (The controller cord isn't long enough to reach my sitting spot as well). Amazing how having a game on my PS3 (with the comodity of the wireless controller) can get me to play it a lot more. It's certainly convenient.

Hmm are you aware that the PS3 is perfectly capable of playing any PS1 game ?

There is no reason to setup your PS1 to play it. As you can play your disc based version on your PS3

There is no reason to setup your PS1 to play it. As you can play your disc based version on your PS3

pardon? they lost my interest when they removed PS2 back compatability. why leave a PSX in there?

Coxis: I've never UN setup my PSX. the only slot I need is for the power plug. I simply swap the AV connector and the controller. I have a PSX, PS2, and a Cube running connections all at the same time. all i do is swap the vid cable. even my NES can be set up at short notice. i keep all the connections out where there's easy access to them.

It's a good reason to keep the old games. This game got me into the RPG's. I never did go past disc 1 but I loved how the music went with the game. I should really play some more.

pardon? they lost my interest when they removed PS2 back compatability. why leave a PSX in there?

I was under the impression the the non-BC PS3s will still play PSX games. It was only the EE chip/software that they removed. I think I read somewhere that they left it in exactly for this reason; PS One classics via the PSN.

Coxis: I've never UN setup my PSX. the only slot I need is for the power plug. I simply swap the AV connector and the controller. I have a PSX, PS2, and a Cube running connections all at the same time. all i do is swap the vid cable. even my NES can be set up at short notice. i keep all the connections out where there's easy access to them.

👍 I still have all my consoles hooked up too. I'm running them all through an A/V switch and a switchable power strip. I love being able to flip a couple switches and then play anything from my 2600 to the PS3.

Let's just say that my PSOne and its library aren't exactly what you'd call "legit". Yes, I made that mistake but what can I do? I was friggin' 9 when the PS came out. From then on, my PS2 and all its games I bought original. I have a 60 GB PS3 so I can play all my PS2 games on it.

@ Sniffs: Due to my current situation, I had to move out of my apartment and move back to my parents'... Which leaves me in a tiny room with barely enough space for the Bravia, receiver and my computer/wheel setup. This economic crisis left me unemployed. :banghead: (I'm lucky I can fit the bed in to be honest)

By the way I can also set up my NES too, still works! (Though not in such a short-notice as yourself).

Also Sniffs, all PS3s can play original PS games, regardless of whether they can play PS2 games or not.

This is just about as best as a "non announcement" can get....

Can just imagine all the FF7 fans getting so excited watching this live thinking it's a remake and then they say it's just another port of a 20 year old game.

Amazing game back in the day, needs a full remake not another port.

This is just about as best as a "non announcement" can get....

Can just imagine all the FF7 fans getting so excited watching this live thinking it's a remake and then they say it's just another port of a 20 year old game.

Amazing game back in the day, needs a full remake not another port.

To be a bit fair, part of the charm is the game art. Keep in mind that I think that Final Fantasy VII is a overrated pos, but I do think that the game has aged quite well.

With all that said, charging $16 for what amounts to a port is simply unacceptable.

PC version coming to PS4 Spring '15
:bowdown:

Best game ever for me. I've had the original discs since 97/98 and purchased the PSN copy for the PS3 a couple years back.
I have also kept a November '97 issue of a PS1 mag with Cloud/Tifa on the cover. Still in mint condish.
Frequently listen to the OST but it's been a while now since I actually played the game.
I would love to live in Wutai or Rocket Town. Or Kalm. :dopey:

Well, it's official, guys. Believe it or not, a remake of Final Fantasy 7 is coming to PS4 in 2016. Square is going to be real busy these next 2 years, what with FF5, FF7 Remake, the next Dissidia game, and quite possibly, Kingdom Hearts 3. I think Square is on the road to redeem itself, but it's not a bad idea to tone down our hype. :D

Final Fantasy VII with awesome graphics?! Me likey! Me likey a LOT!:dopey: I wonder how much of the gameplay they'll change, will certain scenes change much? So many questions! Like, will I even have time to play it with so many kick 🤬 games coming out?

I would have creamed my pants if, right after the song, the classic "DUUUUUUUUN DU DU DUN DUN DUUUUN DUN DUUUUUUUUN" played.

Am I the only person who thinks that this is the beginning of the end? This was always what Squeenix were going to do when they ran out of other decent ideas. Apparently they're out of other decent ideas, so they're going back to the one thing that will sell purely based on the name on the box.

I love FFVII, but I have a hard time believing that any game can simultaneously stay true to what FFVII was as well as be awesome in the current generation of roleplaying games. There are so many iconic moments in FFVII that I think it would be hard to avoid making basically a whole game of fan service.

I hope I'm wrong, and I'll end up buying it anyway, but I'm skeptical of the idea.

Am I the only person who thinks that this is the beginning of the end? This was always what Squeenix were going to do when they ran out of other decent ideas. Apparently they're out of other decent ideas, so they're going back to the one thing that will sell purely based on the name on the box.

I love FFVII, but I have a hard time believing that any game can simultaneously stay true to what FFVII was as well as be awesome in the current generation of roleplaying games. There are so many iconic moments in FFVII that I think it would be hard to avoid making basically a whole game of fan service.

I hope I'm wrong, and I'll end up buying it anyway, but I'm skeptical of the idea.

The trailer itself says it: "The reunion at hand may bring joy. It may bring fear. But let us embrace whatever it brings."

Now my opinion is it should actually be EASY to make this better then the original. I think they need to only stay true to key elements, like the story, the materia system, and atmosphere. They can mix it up with everything else.

Great reaction videos

I could see them totally messing up the gameplay, so I'll still hold my breath.
Damned if they do, damned if they don't.

Change the gameplay and there's going to be a lot of hardcore FF7 fans begrudging them that. Leave the gameplay as is and people will realise how bad a 90's RPG plays compared to what's out there these days.

I agree with @Imari, though. Expected them to pull the FF7 remake out of the closet once their financial situation calls for it...

Change the gameplay and there's going to be a lot of hardcore FF7 fans begrudging them that. Leave the gameplay as is and people will realise how bad a 90's RPG plays compared to what's out there these days.

It can't be worse than FF XIII.

It can't be worse than FF XIII.

Meh, I reckon it would be a tough call between the FF XIII combat system and the FF VII one if they were both put into a modern game. Materia and stuff was cool, but it was quite grindy at times. Grinding isn't as well accepted in single player games as it used to be, and a purely turn based system would probably need to be spruced up quite a lot to make it appealing.

Look at things like Child of Light for a good recent take on a turn based system, it offers significantly more opportunity for strategic play than "grind until I have full limit breaks, then blow limits and summons as fast as possible".

FF VII is still my favourite Final Fantasy (although I have a soft spot for X* as well), but it was very much a product of it's time. Just like Gran Turismo 1 was. There has been nearly 20 years of game devs learning what works and what doesn't since then, and what was spectacular in 1997 would be merely mediocre now if released as a new game.

This is why I think they've got their work cut out for them. With a new title they have more or less a blank canvas to do whatever works best for the game, bar shoehorning a few staples like mogs and chocobos in. With a remake, they're a lot more restricted if they want to retain the nostalgia factor.

It all depends how much of the original they keep and how much they make fresh.

*I actually played through FFX again not that long ago. It holds up remarkably well, especially compared to FF VII which I have on Steam. FFX has one of the better combat systems and stories that they've written, and the HD Remaster graphics are acceptable enough that they don't detract from the gameplay. Good game. I would say the last great game that they made, although I haven't played Lightning Returns.

I have to agree with @Imari, I didn't think Squenix was going to touch FFVII (properly) until they were almost down the drain.

Could this be a swan song? Perhaps..

Latest Posts

Back