First Impressions

• Thread starter IsmokeGT
  • 296 comments
My apologies if this has been mentioned before but I personally love the way the car shakes quite a bit when you brake hard into the first corner. And changing from 3rd to 4th has a great feeling. I also get a great sense of inertia when I throw my car's weight around. ;) Only having purchased my DFGT 4 days ago...I'm still struggling with countering my oversteer and end up in the grass quite often! The Brickyard is a great course though, I look forward to trying it out in a Ford GT or perhaps an M5. Good job Yamauchi-san! 👍👍👍

Guys.. Watch this video..

How do I get this Inside cockpit view for replay?

I am playing Japanese version, I did 6 laps, then quit, view replay for 6 laps and not a single view from the inside!

Holy Mother of all that is great has just given birth to greatest thing since the parting of the seas.

I can't believe what I just experienced. Gone are the days of powersliding effortlessly through turns. Start the days of a real challenge! A slight tremble now resides in my hands and arms from the "feeling",as Kaz would say, this game has given ME.

Big 👍 from me, not a complaint ever crossed my mind.

Takes some getting used to, I have only done a couple laps with the default DS3 setup.

Anyone know if you can move gas/brake to the triggers?

Takes some getting used to, I have only done a couple laps with the default DS3 setup.

Anyone know if you can move gas/brake to the triggers?

Absolutely, in the options menu under controller setup.

The physics are nothing short of amazing!!

Any way to turn the ghost off coz its bloody annoying having it pop up as you are trying to come into a corner.

If you are using the wheel, press the UP button, I dont know about controller.. Go under Controlls options and see what button works for Ghost on and off.

I can assure you I'm plenty fast (Division 1 in GTP for Prologue), yet I still find unrealistic grass physics annoying. If you don't push hard enough to go off the track once in a while, you're not pushing hard enough.

I'm guessing the grass was made that way to stop people from cutting corners by going off track. While you should hug the corners, one of the rules in most races is that "at all times, at least 2 tires must remain on the racing surface. A curb, is not considered racing surface." And I would say, neither is grass.

Yep, this game seems to have an issue with tire behavior at high slip angles.

I have a lot of experience in all other sims, am currently a pretty dedicated iRacer with an iRating of over 4700 on the road side (if that means anything to anybody... my youtube channel is /chrismodiano for some onboard laps I've capped), and I do track days with my car and my bike, and I've done a few drift events as well, so I know enough to have a decent idea of what a car feels like when it's sliding. The car has a decent behavior while everything is under control, and if the car slides out a tiny bit it's okay, but things just get out of hand from there, and there's really no saving the snap fast spin that happens once you get past a few degrees. I have to drive the car like I'm walking on egg shells, and for a road car, that's just not realistic. I'm guna buy GT5 of course, but this is why I just can't take it that seriously.

For the record, I'm 3rd in the overall rank right now at 11pm EST, so it's not like I'm complaining because I'm slow. Although I need to complain for a moment..... I could go much faster, but daaaaaaaaaaamn is that ghost car annoying!!! If you're a tenth off in the first corner, you're donzo for the lap, cuz that damn friggen ghost car is blocking all of your reference points! It totally ruins the concentration, and it's why I've hit a wall in speed after really not much time playing. I probably only did 10-15 laps with both cars... can you turn that thing off and I just haven't found it yet?

Yep, this game seems to have an issue with tire behavior at high slip angles.

I have a lot of experience in all other sims, am currently a pretty dedicated iRacer with an iRating of over 4700 on the road side (if that means anything to anybody... my youtube channel is /chrismodiano for some onboard laps I've capped), and I do track days with my car and my bike, and I've done a few drift events as well, so I know enough to have a decent idea of what a car feels like when it's sliding. The car has a decent behavior while everything is under control, and if the car slides out a tiny bit it's okay, but things just get out of hand from there, and there's really no saving the snap fast spin that happens once you get past a few degrees. I have to drive the car like I'm walking on egg shells, and for a road car, that's just not realistic. I'm guna buy GT5 of course, but this is why I just can't take it that seriously.

For the record, I'm 3rd in the overall rank right now at 11pm EST, so it's not like I'm complaining because I'm slow. Although I need to complain for a moment..... I could go much faster, but daaaaaaaaaaamn is that ghost car annoying!!! If you're a tenth off in the first corner, you're donzo for the lap, cuz that damn friggen ghost car is blocking all of your reference points! It totally ruins the concentration, and it's why I've hit a wall in speed after really not much time playing. I probably only did 10-15 laps with both cars... can you turn that thing off and I just haven't found it yet?

I've gotta agree 100% with cjmodiano. Even at slow speeds it's tough to react fast enough to bring the rear back in line. And the ghost car is too opaque when it's close to you. Like someone threw a blanket over the windshield.
Great graphics and sound though, but little sense of speed even at 160mph. Still GT5 should be interesting.:)

The time trial looks really stripped back, kinda crappy so I don't think the full GT5 is gonna look like this, but the replays of the Black car looks awesome! Some parts look damn near photo real, along with the sounds

The normal car doesn't sound as good off course

I have replay of me trying to drift the tuned car and it looks and I did ok, and then spun into the grass, but the part where I get back onto the track and rev away sounds sweet! If I had a vid cap card I would youtube it for you guys, but maybe I can video cam it instead :)

The physics are so different, probably because it isn't tuned for a control pad. Still waiting on my steering wheel. But you definitely can't go past 3/4 of full throttle after a turn and not loose control of the rear end. Needs some control lag and smoothing for a control pad for sure.

It feels totally different from any other sim I've played. Nothing like LFS, and even twitchier than my short go at iRacing. LFS is quite drivable even with a control pad and you can mash the pedal down coming out of a turn fairly early, but not so here!
GTR Evo and RFactor feel kinda even more arcadey :)

I have managed to do some long drifts even so. Just missing the smoke....

I am using a G25 but for some reason on the stock Z I cannot disable TC yet somehow people on the leaderboards have figured out how. Does anyone know how to get rid of this nuisance?

Right now I am 8th for the tuned car with a 1'38.129. I am actually faster than GTP_timeattack through turns 1-4 (you guys can cut T1 more than you think) but entering turn 5 and then the exit of 6 I loose a ton of time. Then I loose even more time on tight section. After that there is nothing I can do. What is the secret to that tight section because its killing me? I loose about a whole second.

Looks like GT5p - Plays like GT5p

The stupid forced traction control on the (badly textured) grass
is still there. Sorry but I don't see the big deal. Sure it's mostly
for the Academy competition but this is not a good demo for
non-Turismo fans. They would be better off with the GT5p demo.

In my opinion, after driving the tuned car, it just seems too unforgiving. Maybe its me but it seems that as soon as you start to "lose it" it appears nigh impossibe to regain control... I have lost count of the times I have spun out.It could be that I am Just not good enough but, I'll carry on and try to improve....

If they fix that one irregularity with the handling at high slip angles, GT5 will be solid, very solid. Gripes with the ghost car and the twitchy physics aside, GT5 will be soo much fun!

I am using a G25 but for some reason on the stock Z I cannot disable TC yet somehow people on the leaderboards have figured out how. Does anyone know how to get rid of this nuisance?

Right now I am 8th for the tuned car with a 1'38.129. I am actually faster than GTP_timeattack through turns 1-4 (you guys can cut T1 more than you think) but entering turn 5 and then the exit of 6 I loose a ton of time. Then I loose even more time on tight section. After that there is nothing I can do. What is the secret to that tight section because its killing me? I loose about a whole second.

If you're using wheel- it's OFF by default and if you're using DS3, it's ON (by default). If you click on your name while looking at the leaderboard, it will give all the pertinent info (wheel or pad, TCS ON or OFF etc.).

If you're using wheel- it's OFF by default and if you're using DS3, it's ON (by default). If you click on your name while looking at the leaderboard, it will give all the pertinent info (wheel or pad, TCS ON or OFF etc.).

yeah but I have my wheel plugged in and it won't let me change...

In my opinion, after driving the tuned car, it just seems too unforgiving. Maybe its me but it seems that as soon as you start to "lose it" it appears nigh impossibe to regain control... I have lost count of the times I have spun out.It could be that I am Just not good enough but, I'll carry on and try to improve....
I love the tuned car! Did 2 laps in it, got 36st place :D
Did a lap or 6-7 in the stock car first.

I must say I'm using a wheel, and you're constantly expecting it to slide its rear end. But on those 2 laps it only slided twice, and I recovered quite nicely (looked cool in replay too :sly: ) Maybe if I really start to push it, I'll experience something else.

Btw, imagine what it'll be like to drive a 500+ bhp car with these physics. Awesome :D

My first impression:

Bloody hard cars to drive without ASM for a begginer in a hard, technical, track. AWESOME AND IMPRESSIVE FUN!!! :dopey:.

N3s feel a lot more composed than the N3s from 4, at long last the N-series tyres aren't useless strips of rubbish. Steering seems a bit lighter than Prologue, but it's still too heavy with the Sixaxis imo; GT4 steering is too light, but is still closer to what I consider a comfortable weighting than this demo and Prologue are (in Prologue, the R35 GT-R feels like a tank on turn-in). This could be down to the Sixaxis settings, but I dunno - anyone else got an opinion on this?

For GT5 itself, I'd greatly like the ability to turn up/down individual bits of SE, I've always wished GT games toned down the tyre squeal and wind noise a bit, while boosting exhaust note...

It may be subtly different from GT5P, but broadly speaking it's the same experience. The physics are quite nice & detailed in that GT way, but after Shift the sound is bland & sense of speed is under-whelming & after SCC the FFB feels flat & undescriptive. The braking is still just too easy - even under heavy braking the cars remain completely stable. The replays are, as ever, very impressive.

Would be so nice if we could get the best of all these games in one package, but it seems pretty clear that GT5, while very good in some areas, is going to continue to disappoint in others ...

I gotta say it works great with the driving force GT..I use the paddle shifters so idc if they took clutch off. Get those clutch cheaters away from our game!!!!!

I really have to get away from Forza Motorsport 3, the demo is something challenging. It's awesome and it feels like a real thing.

Back