First Impressions

• Thread starter IsmokeGT
  • 296 comments
Unbelievable!! Best 200mb demo so far!

TBH, its really a significant improvement over GT5P. I expected less than this but wow! I did over 10 laps without feeling.

Oh and the car feels twitchy like Shift but I like that! (Can't wait to try with G25)

I wonder why the roofcam is cut off in the gameplay.

but in the replay it has a beautyful roomfam that I really would love have into the gameplay :(

anyone else agree?

I played it, A few months ago I thought Shift was the best thing since sliced bread, Then I thought Forza 3 really had everything owned. I couldn't see how GT5 would be able to match it. But I was wrong, the Physics engine on GT5 demo is pure genius, It's really in your face on those N3 tyres (playing on 900 degree wheel)

Oh wait, I have one really big issue....... The grass is WRONG so wrong it could not be more wrong. Feels like ice.... wrong ice lol. They really need to fix that. Apart from that, it's all good :), seems the cameras in the replay have magical focal length goodness too

Last edited:
Oh my............pd have fixed alot. Tires are connected to the road like never before. No more floatiness especially when coming to a halt. Low speed physics seem FIXED, hand brake works like it should. You can do real donuts in the tuned z. It's hard to get it going but once you've got the momentum you just keep going around. I almost cried. The demo has shown me what I needed to know. Thank you pd, GT has entered a realm where it can stand with pc sims.

Oh wait, I have one really big issue....... The grass is WRONG so wrong it could not be more wrong. Feels like ice.... wrong ice lol. They really need to fix that. Apart from that, it's all good :), seems the cameras in the replay have magical focal length goodness too

The grass is indeed WRONG and feels like ice, but what bugs me more is they limit your revs on the grass. I should be able to spin my tires much easily on the grass, yet it is absolutely impossible to spin your tires until you get back onto the pavement. Not realistic at all.

The only complaint I have is the grass. It's like friggin ICE or something. Maybe it's covered in tiny buttons that say "ACTIVATE SPIN MODE NOW". Even at slow speed on N3s, which I understand to be approximately equivalent to a good set of road tires, it's all over the place. As a result, one wheel on the grass and it's all over baby.

I'm SO glad to hear that because it is ridiculous to let cars hit grass and NOT spin out when pushing the limit of the car. It lets too many amateur drivers take advantage of driving lines, you should never be able to recover from hitting grass, that is why the rumble strip is the limit :) I'll take a momentary break from my 'no more GT until GT5' break.

Jerome

The grass is indeed WRONG and feels like ice, but what bugs me more is they limit your revs on the grass. I should be able to spin my tires much easily on the grass, yet it is absolutely impossible to spin your tires until you get back onto the pavement. Not realistic at all.

I always thought real life was worse. But then again I never raced at a track so what do I know...

BTW this demo is freaking awesome. I can't get over how awesome it is. March is just too far away.

Last edited:
I always thought real life was worse. But then again I never raced at a track so what do I know...

No, if you ever watch a car go off into the grass at a race, you will see that the rear wheels spin like crazy until he gets back on the track where there's grip. It's the exact opposite in this demo.

No, if you ever watch a car go off into the grass at a race, you will see that the rear wheels spin like crazy until he gets back on the track where there's grip. It's the exact opposite in this demo.

Oh I was referring to the grass feeling like ice, not how they limit your throttle on the grass :sly:

BTW this demo is freaking awesome. I can't get over how awesome it is. March is just too far away.

I used to work in a vineyard and have spent hours and hours and days and weeks and months driving on mowed grass. Grass is slippery yes but it doesn't feel anything at all like the grass in the demo, grass is not grease! :P. Doesn't even feel like they are from the same Galaxy. It's very wrong indeed, made me just feel sick when I was on the grass :) not that I intend to be on the grass much but just because it's so wrong

The grass is indeed WRONG and feels like ice, but what bugs me more is they limit your revs on the grass.
- Not realistic at all.

How you'll stop from cutting corners then? It's rather annoying in any game - both the handling of penalties and the off-limits and the damn baskets who seem just too familiar with every shortcut.

But for gameplay's sake? Just think to yourself it serves a higher cause ;) Won't help, will it?

The demo is great, but why no hood view??

Its actually a roof view in prologue, that is missing here, but I agree completely. The roof view gives great visibility for driving. Visibility is limited enough being its a video game and all, and then they force you to use a reduced visibility view... Seems like a step backwards. Kind of a big let down, was really looking forward to trying the new physics with the roof view.
The physics seem quite improved, love the new tire sounds on the N3's, much better than prologue:tup:

Wow, lots of talk about the grass. Why would anyone want to drive on the grass, try staying on the pavement then see how the demo feels :lol:

Jerome

How you'll stop from cutting corners then? It's rather annoying in any game - both the handling of penalties and the off-limits and the damn baskets who seem just too familiar with every shortcut.

But for gameplay's sake? Just think to yourself it serves a higher cause ;) Won't help, will it?

If they did it realistically, you wouldn't be able to gain an advantage on the grass anyways. I actually like how easy it is to spin off if you drop a wheel on the grass, but then driving back onto the course is incredibly unrealistic for the "ultimate driving simulator".

I've seen a fair few people complain about twitchiness of the steering wheel so..

IF YOU'RE USING A STEERING WHEEL AND FIND STEERING TOO TWITCHY GO INTO THE OPTIONS AND CHANGE THE STEERING TO "SIMULATION"

Seriously, it works wonders.

If they did it realistically, you wouldn't be able to gain an advantage on the grass anyways. I actually like how easy it is to spin off if you drop a wheel on the grass, but then driving back onto the course is incredibly unrealistic for the "ultimate driving simulator".

Realistic or unrealistic this is the last thing that I want on a driving simulator.

Whay are some of you guys defending the dodgy grass? :) How do you stop cutting corners? penalty?? what's wrong with that?. Better than the crazy velcro strips they stuck across the tracks on Forza haha that was even worse then greased grass. Only problem is they ment to do it on Forza I think the grass in GT is just an error in judgement. Still don't get me wrong everything else is spot on. I just don't want to see such a potentially perfect game have unfinished flaws like it allways seems to have in the previous versions. So I vote for some grass fixing

It still suffers from Slow Spin Syndrome (SSS). By this I mean that your tires seem to have the same friction coefficient regardless of speed, so that your spins seem to come to a halt very slowly. When you are sliding there should be a certain point when the tires decide to 'bite' and stop the slide, no matter what surface you are on. They still haven't figured this out properly, leading to that "on ice" feel when your spin comes to a stop. This is exaggerate when you're on grass as you get that floaty feel.

The tire squeel sounds samples are much better, but as someone else said they seem to squeel too much now.

Force Feedback issues: Although much improved over GT5p, the little things are still missing, like tire chatter when you are understeering. In GTR2 on the PC you could actually feel the understeer, from exactly when your tires broke traction, to when they regained traction. This feeling is still completely missing and is a critical omission IMHO.

Those negatives aside, which i'm sure i'll get used to eventually, I think it is a general improvement over GT5p. The way the world outside your cockpit "jitters" as you drive is much better. And despite the floaty feel when you lose traction (again possibly a force feedback issue) the cars do feel quite "connected" when you do have traction.

I've seen a fair few people complain about twitchiness of the steering wheel so..

IF YOU'RE USING A STEERING WHEEL AND FIND STEERING TOO TWITCHY GO INTO THE OPTIONS AND CHANGE THE STEERING TO "SIMULATION"
That option is only for the GT FORCE, Driving Force and Driving Force EX.
It does NOTHING for the Driving Force PRO or Driving Force GT.

I thought it was good for such a small demo. Yeh the grass has definitely changed, its much more scary now, best to avoid it and stay on track. Also physics feel more responsive to me, all in all I like, and the track is a nice challenge.

My impression is that the physics are definitely spot on. However, there are a lot of things missing. Skidmarks? Smoke? The grass is also definitely unrealistic, the way they limit the revs or whatever it is that's going on. I'm hoping these things are not present in the final game, but they probably will.

Don't get me wrong, I will buy the game. I was just expecting more from the demo.

Lol no. It's there for all wheels.

I don't think so. When you select that option you can see that the driving force pro and the driving force GT are grayed out. The others are grayed out when you hover to "active steering". Since the G25 is driving force pro compatible and uses it's settings, I believe changing to simulation has no effect on it.

My impression is that the physics are definitely spot on. However, there are a lot of things missing. Skidmarks? Smoke? The grass is also definitely unrealistic, the way they limit the revs or whatever it is that's going on. I'm hoping these things are not present in the final game, but they probably will.

Don't get me wrong, I will buy the game. I was just expecting more from the demo.

the grass dynamic is quite odd, the point seems to be to prevent corner cutting by making the grass slick, okay fine. But why the heck is there an automatic traction control or rev limiters for grass, just let me have control.

Graphics have been dumbed down to make the download size smaller. I guarantee it. ;)

Latest Posts

Back