FITT Ford Challenges by MCH

:lol:

Just a thought regarding testing, might it be worth staggering which car the testers start with?
I know some people randomise their testing order but others are just gong to start at the top of the list and work downwards and this could lead to a car/track learning pattern that might be unfair on those at the top of the list.

Up to you if you think it might be an issue worth considering though 👍

FITT has never formalized this. Maybe we should. I always just list the tunes in alphabetical order. I have seen some list them in the order of who signed up first. We could assign a starting point for the test drivers. Thoughts?

FITT has never formalized this. Maybe we should. I always just list the tunes in alphabetical order. I have seen some list them in the order of who signed up first. We could assign a starting point for the test drivers. Thoughts?
For me and how I tested in the last challenge was to revisit the early tunes giving them a few extra laps against their saved ghost. Most of the times did get better, so maybe it is not the order but giving the early tunes extra time at the end. After several tunes, you may learn to attack a particular corner differently which has an effect on time. Just a thought.

Perhaps if we used my method it won't matter what order we run in. I do a couple laps at like 70% to get a feel for the car and then set a hot lap. Then I give myself 5 laps to beat it. Everytime i beat the hotlap the 5 lap limit resets. If I can't beat it in 5 laps then I know I'm done. That way if there is a mistake on the hot lap, it will get ironed out within the next 5 laps. I always feel comfortable that I got the most out of a car with this method.

Have the order start with the typically better tuner's tunes so they are used as the learning curve, thus giving the other tuners a better chance. :P

I have heard a few good ideas over the FITT challenges. One is drive all of the cars for maybe 5 laps each, then randomize again and go for another 5 laps. @Bowtie-muscle and @ImToLegitToQuit have good ideas above me. Motor City Hami also had a good idea for the Beginner Class Miata challenge with the test driver tunes a quick tune for the track and use that for learning also, then testing. That would only work for testers who didn't tune though I guess.

For me and how I tested in the last challenge was to revisit the early tunes giving them a few extra laps against their saved ghost. Most of the times did get better, so maybe it is not the order but giving the early tunes extra time at the end. After several tunes, you may learn to attack a particular corner differently which has an effect on time. Just a thought.
I like Bowtie come back to the first three-five cars during testing to make sure I didn't leave anything on the track.
Or If I find a much better way through a turn set on the track I will go back and give all cars I tested prior another 5 laps. comparing to them against their ghost check sector times if it's a noticeable gain for the car I'll run it till I get a good lap in with the improved line.

Perhaps if we used my method it won't matter what order we run in. I do a couple laps at like 70% to get a feel for the car and then set a hot lap. Then I give myself 5 laps to beat it. Everytime i beat the hotlap the 5 lap limit resets. If I can't beat it in 5 laps then I know I'm done. That way if there is a mistake on the hot lap, it will get ironed out within the next 5 laps. I always feel comfortable that I got the most out of a car with this method.
That's an interesting method to the testing I'll give it a go with the focus see how it works.

Just a side thought, is it could add fair bit of time to testing so larger events we would need a longer testing time or a different method as not everyone will have the time to invest to test say 15 cars at 10-30 laps per car.

Ultametily this all comes down to time, how much time can the tester give to the tests, the more time they can give the closer each car will be to maxed out for the testers skill.

(Focus ST group)

15 tuners, 9 testers

15/9 = 1.66666 (rounded up to 2)

Tester 1 starts with Tune 1 and works down through the listed order
Tester 2 starts with Tune 3 and works down through the listed order
Tester 3 starts with Tune 5 and works down through the listed order

etc.

Simple and fair, I don't think it needs to be any more complicated than that to balance out 👍

Looking at the times you guys are posting, I don't think my times are going to be featured in the top half of the tuners. Heres for hoping that my car feels good and stable.. :)

Edit: Also, @Motor City Hami - I am still down as a tentative tuner for the Ford GT '05. I have submitted my tune now which can be added to the tuner list. Thanks.

Your doing a grade A job with managing this.

This is pretty much what I do. If I know a tune will go faster I keep going until I nail a better lap. Generally the longer it takes, the lower the DC score will be.

Tester 1 starts with Tune 1 and works down through the listed order
Tester 2 starts with Tune 3 and works down through the listed order
Tester 3 starts with Tune 5 and works down through the listed order

etc.

Simple and fair, I don't think it needs to be any more complicated than that to balance out 👍

Great idea mate! Gets my vote. 👍

I generally test as listed in the tuners list post, but as I try not to buy multiple cars, i've started to test depending on parts fitted. Cars with rigidity improvement get done last, cars with aero get done in the middle and cars with general tuning parts only, get done 1st. Not sure how it'll affect this comp as i've not really paid too much attention to the tunes posted so far, but with front aero an option i'm sure the list will get mixed up a bit. Will have a proper look tomorrow when the deadline has passed for submissions.

I`ve agreed with every idea so far on this subject! Maybe all we can do is have a "Test Drivers Guidelines" section in the OP of every event, listing not just the usual arcade mode, grip real, abs1. But, various authorised testing methods to ensure that testing is a level playing field?

Well after working on a test car for the Mustangs I will be entering one, have taken 5 seconds off stock tune (pp adjusted). Need to shelve it for a day and then come back to it. But am hitting 1:19 with it, evening it's not the fastest car I just like it. I have a feeling there is more time on the track I'm not the best I. The upper complex of the track.

Well after working on a test car for the Mustangs I will be entering one, have taken 5 seconds off stock tune (pp adjusted). Need to shelve it for a day and then come back to it. But am hitting 1:19 with it, evening it's not the fastest car I just like it. I have a feeling there is more time on the track I'm not the best I. The upper complex of the track.
Its a tricky circuit for sure, very easy to get carried away and fall off.

I quite like the Boss Mustang though, its much more capable than its specs would suggest, tons of grip but has a bit of a temper at the limit.

(Where does the Boss name come from? I know there was an older mustang with the same title but I don't know what it relates to?)

Its a tricky circuit for sure, very easy to get carried away and fall off.

I quite like the Boss Mustang though, its much more capable than its specs would suggest, tons of grip but has a bit of a temper at the limit.

(Where does the Boss name come from? I know there was an older mustang with the same title but I don't know what it relates to?)
Because Ford wanted to have a top of the line Mustang that didn't have someone else's name on it. Cough...shelby...cough. The the lead designer built the original 302ci. Engine so the boss could have the best Mustang in house again and the name kinda stuck. The lead designer didn't call the ceo by name, he just called him boss.

I'm not on the tuners list for the Mustang so wondering if I could still enter? I have a tune ready, could probably eek a couple more tenths out of it and perfect the balance, but I'm satisfied it feels fast and it's down to the mid 15's, plus I feel like I'm running out of talent.
Eek out the tenths, the podium as of late is normally less than a 3 tenths apart.

Side note after 9 months of FITT challenges I realize just how slow of a driver I am, yet on my FR list for my PSN i'm like 3rd most of the time :odd: I must have slow friends. :lol:

Eek out the tenths, the podium as of late is normally less than a 3 tenths apart.

Side note after 9 months of FITT challenges I realize just how slow of a driver I am, yet on my FR list for my PSN i'm like 3rd most of the time :odd: I must have slow friends. :lol:
I'm in the same boat, my Mustang tuning is at about 1:21 right now but that feels pretty good. I have a lot of things I want to fiddle with on that tune before I call it though, some odd settings in my opinion right now.

When we first found FITT it was to make it fair for all. Novice, experts, and idiots all could enter(thank God for the last one :dopey: ) and we kinda had two (I guess they're unwritten rules), they were

1. Tune posted = no more changes (this was to help testers that needed to start early to make the deadline...and for some tuners that found a secret some other tuner was using)
2. A lot of testers (that weren't tuners) wound take a car stock to know the course and then begin testing.

If we are all worried about who is tested first (and I'm serious about this) take any entry I have. I enter for the feed back and the enjoyment. I have three FITT wins, and even though those were awesome, I enjoyed the times I was near last with tons of feedback to make me better.

I have faith in our testers to be fair and test all the entries to there best...

Just my two brain cells :dopey:

@krenkme your two brains cells get a lot work around here. :lol: Your tunes are always fun to drive only one was a pita and not the kind you eat.

I don't like to mod my tunes after posting and only do so if I figure out a problem on a new car and the solution works on the submitted car or I am posting what I have in case I might not make the deadline and I get a little more time to test and work out a bug.

I personaly don't care where my car gets tested in the line up by the testers as, all the regular testers either drive it till they have everything they can get out of them or they come back if they discover a new line that is faster to retest the cars to be fair to all tuners. Even when I did my first test drive for FITT I did go back and retest the first couple due to new line discovery and track learning, all four cars got an addional half second off their times.

I've never once been worried about testers being unfair. I wanted to get that out immediately. I did have an idea though when you brought up Chrysler vs super cars. I'll have to do some testing and ask some fitt lords about running a contest.

Anyone that wants to help with the testing phase, let me know. It should be fun.

15393658931_6484c42524_z.jpg

This will be my entry, am down to a 1:17.115, but can the testers get that? I am testing this class and the last time I tested my own tune I lost 4 tenths:banghead:. Not sure I can find any more speed, gonna sit on it for a few days.

She does look absolutely sweet don't she? :D
And black stripes for @brian wolf :lol:

15393658931_6484c42524_z.jpg

This will be my entry, am down to a 1:17.115, but can the testers get that? I am testing this class and the last time I tested my own tune I lost 4 tenths:banghead:. Not sure I can find any more speed, gonna sit on it for a few days.

She does look absolutely sweet don't she? :D
And black stripes for @brian wolf :lol:

What color is that? It is beautiful. My second choice of color beyond obnoxiously bright green.

The reason I bring up the testing order is not about anyone being intentionally unfair, I could never accuse anyone here of that, its just that people naturally get faster as they spend more time focussed on a track. Even the most consistent driver has a peak and a trough in lap times throughout a session, whether it be a tenth or a second there is always a difference. The change to the running order simply balances that small variable which could prove costly these ever tightening competitions. 👍

My guess is Bayside Blue? :lol:

It's not wr blue mica is it ?! If so, I'll be awaiting my royalty check ;)
The reason I bring up the testing order is not about anyone being intentionally unfair, I could never accuse anyone here of that, its just that people naturally get faster as they spend more time focussed on a track. Even the most consistent driver has a peak and a trough in lap times throughout a session, whether it be a tenth or a second there is always a difference. The change to the running order simply balances that small variable which could prove costly these ever tightening competitions. 👍

My guess is Bayside Blue? :lol:
What color is that? It is beautiful. My second choice of color beyond obnoxiously bright green.
It is blasphemy, I painted my Mustang a GM color:dunce:. but it is my favorite in GT6.....Laguna Blue Tintcoat from the C7. Changes color according to light/time of day. And I think it looks sexy. Thanks for putting this challenge together Hami, I am loving my time in this car:embarrassed:. Do not tell anyone at Chevy please:lol:

Back