FITT Ford Challenges by MCH

Up to you really, personally I think it shows ingenuity in the interpretation of the rules and tuning techniques and doesn't break any fixed rules, the caveat being that the reset is a courtesy on the behalf of the tuners to make testers lives easier and this sort of goes against that. I thought about it briefly during tuning but didn't really have the time or the transmission know how to test the effects so I can't say what those effects may be and whether they will be noticeable under testing conditions.

Certainly an interesting idea though and could be worth looking into in the future if left as an allowed option, might only make a few hundredths difference but who knows. As long as the methodology was easy repeatable and easy to follow without incurring too much extra expenditure then it might just add another level to a contest 👍

So now its a written rule. "Six Speed Transmission non-adjustable (must be fitted last, after all power upgrades)." This isn't my first time running events. I ran a remote controlled racing series for a few years called The Carpet Racing League. We had 100 of the top racers in the Midwest and the rules were pushed all of the time.

The intent of the Focus class was to have fewer options to make things easier on the test drivers. With this new written rule, test drivers can now do the exact same thing with each and every car; reset the trans after applying the power parts.

So now its a written rule. "Six Speed Transmission non-adjustable (must be fitted last, after all power upgrades)." This isn't my first time running events. I ran a remote controlled racing series for a few years called The Carpet Racing League. We had 100 of the top racers in the Midwest and the rules were pushed all of the time.

The intent of the Focus class was to have fewer options to make things easier on the test drivers. With this new written rule, test drivers can now do the exact same thing with each and every car; reset the trans after applying the power parts.
There will always be little hiccups along the way, I had a similar issue in the last contest regarding unstated rules about being able to correct tunes after the deadline. In my case the vote went in favour of letting the rule be broken, in this case it has gone against, the important thing is that it was a group decision that pleases the majority and was handled in an open and fair fashion. 👍

Hopefully it won't get like Formula 1 where people keep using the "You didn't say we couldn't" clause :lol:

Do these transmission settings look better for my 2013?

Top Speed 168
1st gear 2.896
2nd gear 1.999
3rd gear 1.481
4th gear 1.149
5th gear 0.933
6th gear 0.793
Final gear 4.062

I removed the transmission and re-installed the six speed. Let me know if you can get to these numbers.

JGtfOTgm.jpgs

Speaking of Green...Anyway I installed the proper transmission and tweaked some settings to accommodate it. Improved lap-time down to 1:00.058. Decided to stick with the same power upgrade combo cause it seemed to provide with the best balance of hp vs torque. Testers have at it.

Do these transmission settings look better for my 2013?

Top Speed 168
1st gear 2.896
2nd gear 1.999
3rd gear 1.481
4th gear 1.149
5th gear 0.933
6th gear 0.793
Final gear 4.062

I removed the transmission and re-installed the six speed. Let me know if you can get to these numbers.
The match up to what I had gotten when i put the power train together on your car.

These are high curbs. The cars can bounce a little after hitting them causing wheel spin.
The lack of grip when hitting the strips became more noticeable to me at the Viper challenge back at Trial Mountain. Don't really remember noticing it before then. I put the loss of grip down to the racing surface rather than the height.:confused:

I did something fun. I put all of the tunes side by side in a Google Doc (link here)
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/138anhbLAEjTe4IaFDNzGVUfkEBJqAKvFQbJrcdSPyuw/edit?usp=sharing

I then averaged each setting across the 2006, the 2013 and finally all tunes. So essentially, the three settings on the right hand side of the page are the collective "best tune" from 16 of the best tuners on GT Planet. Pretty cool. :cool:
Brilliant idea and looks far less complicated than the one I have. Needs some color to help read, perhaps orange and green columns?:dopey:

I did something fun. I put all of the tunes side by side in a Google Doc (link here)
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/138anhbLAEjTe4IaFDNzGVUfkEBJqAKvFQbJrcdSPyuw/edit?usp=sharing

I then averaged each setting across the 2006, the 2013 and finally all tunes. So essentially, the three settings on the right hand side of the page are the collective "best tune" from 16 of the best tuners on GT Planet. Pretty cool. :cool:
Its interesting to look at the results. I wonder if those numbers would add up to a 450pp car. It's also interesting that the front and rear toe came out the same too.

A lot of my tuning sheets look like this, I tend to record changes to my tunes in columns and have an 'average' column at the end. My Audi/VW cars in GT5 ended up being the average result of the various ways I'd tried to tune them, if that makes sense. I've yet to do it in GT6, but I'll wager good money that the average tunes you have in the spreadsheet actually drive ok...

{Cy}

Nice work there Hami but I'm confused.

How does a given tune at 450pp compare to another tune that had more power & less weight still end up at 450pp?
It looks like some tunes are starting behind before the light goes green on the testing process.

How does a given tune at 450pp compare to another tune that had more power & less weight still end up at 450pp?
It looks like some tunes are starting behind before the light goes green on the testing process.
It depends witch Engine Parts you are use. Engine Standart gives more HP and less Torque so Engine Stage 3 gives less HP and higher Torque :)

As @chrisspeed281 said, it depends upon the engine parts that are installed. We should also add a row for torque. The tunes with lower hp will have more torque. In my experience with both GT5 and GT6, hp most often wins. If you add lots of engine tuning then use a lot of power limiting you can get very high torque numbers. I did not test that on this track, but if any track could have benefited from more torque it would be London.

@Motor City Hami brilliant never thought to do that. I wonder how that average tune would drive. I might just have to find out.
@Bowtie-muscle looks like you where not far off on the tune, shows you how much a little makes in racing.
Amazing how my settings were close to the average for the '06 with the exception of rear compression. Does this mean my tune is an average tune and will finish right in the middle or lower?

Amazing how my settings were close to the average for the '06 with the exception of rear compression. Does this mean my tune is an average tune and will finish right in the middle or lower?

No. It means that you built the optimum tune. Guys like me probably went too aggressive and the newer tuners probably went to conservative. So potential congratulations on your future win. 👍

No. It means that you built the optimum tune. Guys like me probably went too aggressive and the newer tuners probably went to conservative. So potential congratulations on your future win. 👍
Its going to be really interesting to see how this plays out, none of the tunes are looking dramatically different so its impossible to guess who might have cracked it.

What Hami said. In theory the average tune will be the fastest tune for the car for the track as it should be the most balanced.
The way I look at torque and HP is
Torque=giddyup
HP=Speed
So for most tracks I try and balance them, short tracks I over torque, long tracks I go for HP.
Torquing a car is only as good as the tires can handle so with CS tires about 260 ft/lb is all the more they can take in a FF car.
But the same is also true for HP'ing a car it's only as effective as the tires can take. CS tires with good throttle control can use upto about 400 HP *in my experience i'm sure a better driver can get more power to the ground than that*
So theoretically 260 ft/lb and 400 hp on CS tires in a FF would be all the more the tires can take and than it comes down to tune. Would be interesting to test the maximum capability of tires, and drive train sometime.
Argg too many ideas to test not enough time.

What Hami said. In theory the average tune will be the fastest tune for the car for the track as it should be the most balanced.
Torque=giddyup
HP=Speed
So for most tracks I try and balance them, short tracks I over torque, long tracks I go for HP.
Torquing a car is only as good as the tires can handle so with CS tires about 260 ft/lb is all the more they can take in a FF car.
But the same is also true for HP'ing a car it's only as effective as the tires can take. CS tires with good throttle control can use upto about 400 HP *in my experience i'm sure a better driver can get more power to the ground than that*
So theoretically 260 ft/lb and 400 hp on CS tires in a FF would be all the more the tires can take and than it comes down to tune. Would be interesting to test the maximum capability of tires, and drive train sometime.
In the real world this may be true for an average tune, but this is virtual! Not feeling better than 8th right now, wait and see. When Hami throws the kitchen sink at it, the masses should be afraid, very afraid :scared:

My approach was to stop when it was fast and comfortable so as to not over tune, seeing the times guys are posting and knowing the competition.......8th sounds about right:dopey:

In the real world this may be true for an average tune, but this is virtual! Not feeling better than 8th right now, wait and see. When Hami throws the kitchen sink at it, the masses should be afraid, very afraid :scared:

My approach was to stop when it was fast and comfortable so as to not over tune, seeing the times guys are posting and knowing the competition.......8th sounds about right:dopey:
Yeah I hear ya, I'm wondering my placement, after seeing the tunes side by side I may have gone too soft, which allows for good turn turn but reduces overall grip of the car due to loading effects, I just couldn't hang on to it when I went stiffer than what I was at, that may be due to the toe and dampers settings i had on the car. I will find out soon enough. Just finished my testers results set up, on to testing!!! If I'm not totally burned out on London by the time I'm done gonna give the 3 average tunes 5 laps each see how they fair.

Torque=giddyup
HP=Speed
Its a complicated balance with horsepower and torque on low grip tyres using an FF, while the description of torque and HP are true a lifetime of driving FFs tells me that there is always a finite amount that you can get onto the tarmac. Torque is rotational force and this can easily cause excess wheel spin when the tyre is struggling to deal with both acceleration forces and cornering load. Finding the balance is always key, more is not always better :lol:

Its a complicated balance with horsepower and torque on low grip tyres using an FF, while the description of torque and HP are true a lifetime of driving FFs tells me that there is always a finite amount that you can get onto the tarmac. Torque is rotational force and this can easily cause excess wheel spin when the tyre is struggling to deal with both acceleration forces and cornering load. Finding the balance is always key, more is not always better :lol:
Agreed, if you have more power and torque than the car/tire combo can manage than it's wasted. I did say that just not in those words.

Back