FITT Miata Tuning Challenge

Don't say its Pink Color ?! :sly:
My lap time on ApricotHill by my 200hp 1:35.860 . I don't know is it fast time or not .
The fastest I got mine so far was 1:36.418, so I say your time is very competitive. Of coarse, there are better drivers out there, but they should also be near ours by at least a second or two.
I still have some refining to do on mine, but your time is still awesome for 200hp, I use this track to tune everything and I've seen everything from 1:45.000's to 1:15.000's while tuning. The teens were the gt500's and my RX7TC.

I will be tuning the following two cars;

Spec-miata class = MX-5 J-Limited II (NA, J) '93 (Hemi°-Orange body/Hemi°-Orange rims)

Improved Touring class = MX-5 Miata 1600 NR-A (NB, J) '04 (Nero Nemesis body/Nero Nemesis rims)

I'm only stating this so noone else does the exact same thing. Not that anyone would have thought to paint them in Dodge and Lamborghini colors besides me, lol, but just in case)
I'm painting my MX-5 '89 Garnet Red and my Miata 1600 is Matte Pink, to combat all the lime green on the track and all. Lol
And, @NEWDRIVER2, my time without suspension or LSD tuning around Apricot Hill currently has been 1:39.578 so I agree that your time will probably be very competitive.

Apricot Hill 1:33.8 is my best with average in the low 1:34's. There is plenty more time to be taken off as I'm not 100% happy with my line on the first turn. Post tune tomorrow after I re-paint my car and a quick transmission comparison. Thanks for color suggestions demonchilde.:cheers:

I'm in for SCCA Improved Touring and Street Touring classes as a tuner.

I'd also like to be a "standby tester" for all classes, that way I'm not changing my mind at the last minute.

Sorry I didn't sign up earlier (check CoTHO if you really want to know why), but I think I'll try to tune for the ITC and RTC classes.... I still think the fix is in though. There is no way I had a podium finish in GT5, I always finish last :sly::dopey:

9qsj.jpg

This is my car picture and the tune coming soon hope it will be ready by today to post , I need to fine my tune more .

Last edited:
hgbj.jpg

This is my car picture and the tune coming soon hope it will be ready by today to post , I need to fine my tune more .

I would suggest going to the replay and getting the photo, that way you don't get the lines from the TV. You can also use the camera settings to get better lines and curves.

Hey @Motor City Hami thanks for signing me up for the SCCA Spec Miata class as a tester. That's exactly the class I wanted to test! :D

I would sign-up for the others, but I just started my university degree on Mechanical Engineering, so that will cut my playing time drastically, so I don't want to say I'm gonna take part of something then close to the deadline say that I can't because other things got in the way.

Last edited:
Where have I been? Completely missed this thread. I'll be submitting a tune for SCCA Spec Miata and i'll test drive for Street Touring and Roadster touring for sure.

Don't say its Pink Color ?! :sly:
My lap time on ApricotHill by my 200hp 1:35.860 . I don't know is it fast time or not .
DING DING DING!!! Well, probably. Pink is a lovely colour. :lol: My time on Apricot Hill is around the 33-35 region, I think…need to check. But yea, I think that's probably a competitive time.

I would suggest going to the replay and getting the photo, that way you don't get the lines from the TV. You can also use the camera settings to get better lines and curves.
I just take the picture from my Mobil so I will try to copy it to USB and upload it . Thank you for your suggestion . 👍

Got 1:34s on Apricot Hill, still with 190+HP and stock transmission :) Using my NB Turbo MX5 replica as a base and suspension from Spec Miata replica, feels great with no ABS ( still on replica 52/48 weight distribution )

Last edited:
The new Mazda MX-5 Miata BLACK Edition....limited time only!!!

Syracuse.jpg

Syracuse_1.jpg

Don't get too excited. Just a temporary glitch in photo mode @ Syracuse when I pushed the car up against the stairs in front of the building. When I tried to turn on the lights and turn the tires, it went away...but still able to get a couple of shots....

-MAZDA ROADSTER TOURING CAR & MAZDA ROADSTER (NC) '07
IMG_0005_1_.JPG

MAZDA ROADSTER RS (NC) '07 new tune
- INSTALLED PARTS

. AERO PARTS (aero kits type B) ok
. WHEELS (OZ racing ult...) ok

. WEIGHT REDUTION STAGE 3 ok
. CARBON HOOD (BODY COLOR) ok
. WINDOW WEIGHT REDUTION ok

. RACING EXHAUST ok
. intake tuning ok

. HIGH RPM RANGE TURBO KIT ok

. TRIPLE-PLATE CLUTCH KIT ok

. CARBON DRIVE SHAFT ok

. TRANSMISSION (FULLY CUSTOMIZABLE DOG-CLUTCH) ok

. SUSPENSION KIT ok

. RACING BRAKES ok

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

- PERFORMANCE POINTS .............................. 450 PP

- DISPLACEMENT ........................................ 1,998 cc

- MAX.POWER ............................................ 227 HP

- MAX. TORQUE .......................................... 198 ft-lb
- WEIGHT ................................................. 920 Kg

- POWER-TO-WEIGHT RATIO ........................ 4,05 Kg / HP

- FRONT / REAR WEIGHT DISTRIBUTION .......... 52 : 48

. ballast weight .......................................... kg

. ballast position ......................................... %

- DRIVETRAIN ............................................. FR

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

- SUSPENSION / / Brake Discs & Calipers

. 105 (F) ride height (R) 98 / / 7 (F) / (R) 6

. 5,27 (F) spring rate (R) 6,48

. 4 (F) Dampers (comp:) (R) 4

. 5 (F) Dampers (ext:) (R) 6

. 6 (F) Anti-roll bars (R) 7

- CAMBER ANGLE(-)

. 1.0 (F) / (R) 0,7

- TOE ANGLE

. -0,11 (F) / (R) -0,03

- TRANSMISSION (Max. speed (AutoSet)

. 180 km/h
. final gear= 4,100

. 1ª3,900

. 2ª2,750

. 3ª2,264

. 4ª1,792

. 5ª1,479

. 6ª1,241
- final gear = 2,926

- LSD

. 00 / 13

. 00 / 30

. 00 / 28

- POWER LIMITER = 88,4 %

IMG_0004_4.JPG

-ps: would rather be photographing models but with another machine:tup:👍

Last edited:
It will based on this replica, easy low 1:34 at Apricot Hill.

Mazda MX-5 Miata 1.8 RS ( NB,J ) '98 Turbo ( FITT MIATA Challenge version )

Tuned for Sports Hard

CAR : Mazda MX-5 Miata 1.8 RS ( NB,J ) '98
Tire : Sports Hard

Specs
Horsepower: 200 HP at 7200 RPM
Torque : 209.6 ft-lb at 4400 RPM
Power Limiter at : 91.5%
Weight: 925 kg
Ballast : 50 kg
Ballast Position : 19
Weight Distribution : 52 / 48 - corrected weight distribution as in real life.
Performance Points: 431

GT AUTO
NO Oil change
Improve Body Rigidity ( NOT INSTALLED )
Wheels : +1 Inch Up, RAYS TE37SL in Matte Dark Silver
Car Paint : Matte Light Red

Tuning Parts Installed :
Engine Tuning Stage 1
Racing Exhaust
Isometric Exhaust Manifold
Intake Tuning
Mid RPM Range Turbo Kit
Adjustable LSD
Triple Plate Clutch Kit
Carbon Drive Shaft
Fully Customizable Suspension
Weight Reduction Stage 3

Suspension - SPEC MIATA Spring + BILSTEIN Damper
Front, Rear

Ride Height: 100 101
Spring Rate: 12.50 5.80
Dampers (Compression): 2 3
Dampers (Extension): 5 6
Anti-Roll Bars: 7 7
Camber Angle: 0.0 0.0
Toe Angle: -0.15 0.15

LSD - 1.5 way
Initial Torque : 15
Acceleration Sensitivity: 20
Braking Sensitivity: 5

Brake Balance:
9/9 ( personal BB) or for ABS 0 wheel : 9/9, for ABS 1 - 9/9 or feel free to use your preferred brake balance.

Recommended setting for DS3 user :

Steering sensitivity at +1 or +2 and up to +5, all aids off, except ABS 1 ( if not comfortable with ABS 0 ) with 9/9 brake balance as starting point.

Notes :

This is a rare NB Miata with 6.5K redline :) I chose this NB Turbo replica as a base for FITT Miata Challenge Improved Touring Class. Tuned to 200HP and 925kg, the car still retains replica weight distribution and almost the same LSD setup. Suspension however has been overhauled, using SPEC MIATA spring and Bilstein SM Damper replica, while ARB has been tweaked for maximum strength for high speed cornering. Ride height kept at 100mm to avoid bottom out on the last uphill chicane.

Transmission is still stock, I chose this as I felt the ratios are fine for Apricot Hill. For power, I used mid range RPM Turbo. Intake Tuning and Isometric Exhaust Manifold to boost torque as high as possible within 200HP and 90% power limit ( 29kgfm at 4400rpm :eek: ). Racing Exhaust also chosen for increasing rev range and improve high rpm acceleration. Shift point should be just before 7000 RPM ( redline ).

Brakes also standard issue, with increased brake balance at 9/9 to maintain braking ability at this high speed track.

My not so quick Co driver who uses ABS 1 :P, easily managed consistent 1:34s lap. My aim for this tune is not outright lap time, but to give the car certain character :D A great lap with the car will see 1:33s, 30s or maybe less 1st sector and 1:04s or less last sector.

The Co Driver notes :embarrassed: :
The car can brake very late on the 1st long left corner, this will be the deciding section whether the lap will be quick or not, nail this with good exit speed and maintain 130+kmh onto the next right, over 140kmh at middle of the big esses, exiting at 130+kmh. Enter the long left curve reaching 165+kmh to 170kmh, maintain speed above 145+kmh on the apex and full throttle till exit before hitting close to 200kmh on the long straight ready to brake into the right hairpin. The hairpin can be hit with good speed at around 80+kmh, exiting on full gas to the uphill right, reaching close to 170kmh before braking smoothly to the last uphill chicane, a good entry and exit will see a high speed entry to the final left before final straight to the finish ( can be had on full throttle )

EDIT : Corrected weight reduction part.

Last edited:
SCCA Improved Touring Class

Car of Choice:
Mazda MX-5 Miata 1800RS (NB,J) '04

200hp Max
925kg Min

Driving Options
Driving Line: OFF
Blind Spot Indicator: OFF
Active Steering: OFF
Traction Control: 0
Active Stability Management (ASM): OFF
Anti-Lock Brake System (ABS): 1
Skid Recovery Force (SRF): OFF
Controller Sensitivity: 5

NOTE:
Tuned using DS3 controller, dpads, "X" throttle, square brake, and automatic transmission.
Tuned for Apricot Hill
Best Lap Time: 1:33.440

Color: Lava Orange Pearlescent
Rims: Inch UP: 1 (OZ Racing Italia 150)

image.jpg

image.jpg

I'm torn between 2 transmission setups. The one I have on the tune sheet is great for downshift braking (key for auto transmissions) and it has great low gear torque. The other...well let's just say that Krenkme would be proud!! Not sure my controller can handle anymore of it, it's still recovering from his 300 tune from GT5. I'm wondering how it handles for those of you that use wheels/manual.

Transmission option (just for fun)
Set Final to 75% of slider
Set Max Speed to Min
Set 6th Gear to Max
Set Final Gear to 3.500
Spread Gears....
1st gear - 3.275 (40%)
2nd gear - 2.450 (52%)
3rd gear - 1.900 (64%)
4th gear - 1.535 (76%)
5th gear - 1.280 (88%)
6th gear - 1.110 (100%)
Take to the track and hold on!!!

PS: to FITT Admins... If there is a standard way of posting tunes, I would be more than happy to change my layout to match any template so it's easier for everyone. If I've forgotten anything, please let me know. I have about a week before I'm back to China. Thanks everyone, take care, and have fun!

Last edited:
mx5City of Arts and Sciences - Night.jpg

SCAA Improved Touring Class

Car: Mazda MX-5 Miata 1800 RS (NB, J) '00
Track: Apricot Hill
Wheel / Joypad: PS3 controller
Power: 200 BHP @ 6400 Rpm / 26.6 kgfm @ 5000 Rpm
Weight: 925 kg
Performance Points: 430 PP
Tires: SH
Weight Distribution: 50:50
Custom Parts: Inch +1 Wheels

Suspension) :
Height-Adjustable, Fully-Customisable Suspension)

Ride Height:
Front: 90 Rear: 90
Spring Rate: Front: 8.18 kg Rear: 8.18 kg
Dampers (Compression):Front: 6 Rear: 6
Dampers (Extension): Front: 7 Rear: 6
Anti-Roll Bars: Front: 3 Rear: 3
Camber Angle (-): Front: 0.0° Rear: 0.0°
Toe Angle: Front: 0.00° Rear: 0.10°
Brakes:Racing Upgrade F: 9 R: 9
Drivetrain: (Fully Customisable Transmission)

Notes:

Set final to 5.200
Set max to 112
Set 6th to 1.051
Set final to 3.870
Set in sequence (1-2-3-4-5-6)

Speed: 112 mph
1: 3.104
2: 2.330
3: 1.821
4: 1.473
5: 1.216
6: 1.051
Final: 3.870

Differential Gear:Fully Customisable Mechanical Limited-Slip Diff
Initial Torque: R= 10
Acceleration Sensitivity: R= 26
Braking Sensitivity: R= 11
Clutch & Flywheel: Triple plate
Propeller Shaft: Carbon
Power

Oil Change: No
Power Limiter: 90%
Engine Tuning: Standard
Computer: Standard
Exhaust: Racing
Exhaust Manifold: Standard
Catalytic Converter: Sports
Intake Tuning: Yes
Turbo Kit: Stage: Mid-RPM
Nitrous Oxide (N2O): No
Body

Body Rigidity Improvement: No
Weight Reduction: Stage 3
Bonnet: Standard
Windows: Standard
Ballast: 16kg
Ballast position: - 20

Last edited:
This is going to be awesome, when I was tuning the improved class, I battled between turbo and charger back and forth. I managed to beat my current time almost every time, so I couldnt decide which was better. I ended up deciding on the supercharger over the 3 turbos, but this is odd as every time ive faced the choice so far I did the opposite. From what I see above, this battle went on in others heads as well, as I see multiple choices submitted.
im really going to be watching this class close, just to see which performs better in different drive styles.
I chose the supercharger, mainly because I saw the final gear like 15% of the entire run every time. So I put emphasis on the mid gears. I hope that thinking doesnt backfire on me, lol.

My wife is watching the Walking Dead, so ill post my tune when I can get on in the morning.

The spec class im not done yet.

I had that same fight on my tc as well, the turbo or the super I went with the turbo my self as I could tune the gears to stay in the torque band easier.
Power is nothing with out torque, torque is nothing with out power.

This is going to be awesome, when I was tuning the improved class, I battled between turbo and charger back and forth. I managed to beat my current time almost every time, so I couldnt decide which was better. I ended up deciding on the supercharger over the 3 turbos, but this is odd as every time ive faced the choice so far I did the opposite. From what I see above, this battle went on in others heads as well, as I see multiple choices submitted.
im really going to be watching this class close, just to see which performs better in different drive styles.
I chose the supercharger, mainly because I saw the final gear like 15% of the entire run every time. So I put emphasis on the mid gears. I hope that thinking doesnt backfire on me, lol.

My wife is watching the Walking Dead, so ill post my tune when I can get on in the morning.

The spec class im not done yet.
its certainly going to be interesting to see the differences between NA/SC/Turbo cars if there are indeed any, personally I believe there are advantages to be found

With turbo mid and high, I gained time in 2 spots on the track, but lost it on the s curves. With the charger, I blew through the s' s, but couldnt match the turbos on those 2 spots.
but BOTH ended up within 0:05.00 of each other when all was said and done.
I think this one is ENTIRELY motivated by how each of us set up our transmission.

I'm stumped.

I am considering entering the newby class, because that's what I am.

I bought a Miata, tuned the LSD per Hami's tutorial, and the brakes per Praiano's tutorial. That much is easy.

But the suspension confounded me. I used to be a pro motocross racer before college, and I designed suspensions in the dark ages when long travel in the rear was evolving (1973-4ish). But video game suspensions on four-wheeled vehicles is still a challenge for me.

In the few hours I spent on the Streets of Willow, I was able to make progress with ballast, LSD and brakes. But everything I tried with the suspension backfired.

So I bought the two versions Hami published specs for, and detuned for weight, HP, and tires. Both those cars are about two seconds slower than my car with the stock suspension.

This can't be right since I usually drop 5-10 seconds from my stock seasonal times when I use a Hami or Praiano tune.

Granted, my Streets of Willow times are not perfectly consistent, and Hami tuned his suspensions for different power, weight, and tires, but I've been around long enough to expect significant improvements after adapting to power/weight/tire parameters.

Surely it's not possible that PD's suspension tune in my version of the car is best. Right?

Pulling my hair out.

Surely it's not possible that PD's suspension tune in my version of the car is best. Right?

You never know. PD does like the Miata. They seem to have an advantage over every European or US car at the same PP level. I noticed similar things to your findings that the big gains are coming from LSD and ballast. There are some gains to be had with dampers, springs, toe and ARBs, but they will take some trial and error to find. I also have not tuned a Miata for Willow Springs yet so you are a bit on your own there.

I would encourage to keep at it and post a tune. The driver feedback can be really insightful.

Pulling my hair out.

I think MCH is right about this.....
https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/fitt-miata-tuning-challenge-by-mch.303511/page-3#post-9374238

And you may have found the same car or another car that acts in the same way. There are a few examples of cars in GT5 that never seemed to behave like everyone thought they would, so I'm sure the same can be said for GT6. Don't stress out too much or you'll end up with grey hairs like I did trying to figure out transmissions setups. If the car is comfortable for you and you feel as if your lap time is competitive...then be proud of it! Happy tuning!

So far, I'm happy with both Miata I'm tuning, and I'm using spring rate from spec miata, LSD works quite well, and both running close to real life weight distribution. I always try to fine tune suspension and LSD before resorting to putting ballast and alter weight distribution ( alter chassis balance ). I'm updating my Improved Touring tune now.

EDIT : TUNE UPDATED on post #108 this page.

Last edited:
Back