Flight Simulator

• Thread starter PzR Slim
  • 956 comments
Glad at least the standard edition is in the Game Pass. It'll at least give me a chance to try it before dropping $120 plus whatever a joystick costs, probably $100.

I think there are but these are apparently those that have been given special treatment.
The others are probably just scanned and nothing more.

Yeah, there's 37000 airports in there. These extra ones have just been handcrafted. So Heathrow will be in the normal version, it just won't look as spectacular as the handcrafted version.

I'd love to see what the standard scanned airports look like at ground level, probably like what Google 3D maps looks like :lol:

upload_2020-7-14_14-46-22.png

As much as I had hoped this wouldn't become freemium/DLC central I fear it certainly is going to be. Lots of omissions of key airports and aircraft likely to come later, get your wallets ready!

Do PCs even have disc drives any more? I haven't had a laptop with a disc drive in probably 6-7 years and I think I had one in my desktop like 10 years ago. Still, it's a nice option for people who have data caps/slow internet. 90GB isn't too bad though and I'll just download it.

Reckon this will be a launch title on the series x. Still eagerly awaiting the flight control hardware, hopefully it will be logitech as i hate giving Thrustmaster my money due to the amount of returns claims i have had with them.

Do PCs even have disc drives any more?
I did a quick search on my country's biggest webshop. Out of 339 laptops only 11 had a DVD±RW drive. So it's definitely getting rare. I'm not sure if it will go away completely anytime soon though. Will probably be sold only separately, like blu-ray drives.
Btw, 337 out of 339 PCs had an SSD.

Buying an external USB DVD drive is cheap as chips these days so I can imagine anyone who was interested in the retail version who doesn't have an optical drive ready to go wouldn't mind that additional cost.

I'm glad to see there is a physical option for those with poor internet or those who just like boxed stuff.

Surely this will run awful on the xbox?
Even on the new series X I cant see it running half as well as the footage we have seen, will be very impressed if it looks anywhere near that.

Wish i had a PC, this looks amazing.

The initial release only applies to PC systems with access via Xbox Game Pass as an option. Known fact by now.

For me (and probably many others) Xbox is largely synonymous with consoles, so it just feels misleading to see a PC game marketed in this way when there’s no clear roadmap for the Xbox One and/or Series X version.

Least they could do then was to communicate clearly regarding their plans for this title on consoles. Either that or scrap the Xbox name for use in PC contexts. Annoying strategy.

Last edited:
I realise the words "photo realistic" get thrown around a lot, but this actually is.
Serious jaw drop at 05:47, just sayin'.

That's my home. I was hoping to see it in this video but didn't expect to see it. Looks just like dr9 e footage.

Barcelona and Florence are perfect :drool:

(Probably the other cities too, but I don’t know them well enough to be able to tell)
Make that 3 cities that are perfect at least.

I managed to get this downloaded last night, it was just over 90GB and that region lock is laughable. I was literally able to get the download started by changing my region to new zeland no vpn or anything lol. Trying to get the update started was a bit of a headache, all the menus were slow, it crashed more than once but I'm doing initial settings stuff now.

I managed to get this downloaded last night, it was just over 90GB and that region lock is laughable. I was literally able to get the download started by changing my region to new zeland no vpn or anything lol. Trying to get the update started was a bit of a headache, all the menus were slow, it crashed more than once but I'm doing initial settings stuff now.

There has been bunch of reports of it won't even load with the black screen with press any key loop.
Some say it's an insider's build that was released and it's not a "finished" product.

I want to try it but I don't want to sit and wait for like 5 hours to get nothing.

I also wonder how the Xbox controller would work too?
Or PS controller that is mapped?

There has been bunch of reports of it won't even load with the black screen with press any key loop.
Some say it's an insider's build that was released and it's not a "finished" product.

I want to try it but I don't want to sit and wait for like 5 hours to get nothing.

I also wonder how the Xbox controller would work too?
Or PS controller that is mapped?
It is very buggy, I can get past the launch screen and get flying but it has crashed multiple times. It crashed twice shortly after take off from a runway near my house, it crashed once on loading the world and it has crashed twice while attempting to do a training mission. I'm hoping it might just be due to very heavy traffic from 1000's of people downloading the game straining the servers.

I can't help with how controllers work sorry, an Xbox controller will work since it's coming out on Xbox but on my pc I'm using a cheap Logitech extreme 3d pro. It was detect by the game and even had all the buttons mapped which was nice.

I have just had a small update that seemed to unlock the market place and some of the prices £25 for 1 aircraft! Also I have had better stability by disabling the multiplayer and live air traffic options.
Microsoft Flight Simulator 18_08_2020 12_39_48.png

Last edited:
Actually going to try it using the Game pass.
And with a PS4 controller. :lol:

Just to see how well or not it works.

I was wondering if you could play it with the ds4, do you just plug it into the pc usb, set it up and away to go?

I was wondering if you could play it with the ds4, do you just plug it into the pc usb, set it up and away to go?

You'll need DS4Windows to get it to get the controller to work initially but if you have bluetooth you can just sync up with that.
After these updates of 90GB worth I will try it. (Unless it crashes)

You'll need DS4Windows to get it to get the controller to work initially but if you have bluetooth you can just sync up with that.
After these updates of 90GB worth I will try it. (Unless it crashes)

Thanks, I'll have to try that. 👍

Back