Floats Gallery

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice set. The middle one works as a great stand alone shot as well but they are all great in a set like that. What focal length were you at? It can be hard getting a good bird shot but you did really well. 👍

Also I like the slight motion blur in the wings. It works really well, especially since the trend usually seems to be that most bird shots are entirely static for god knows what reason.

Nice shots Bill Oddie SSU 👍! I've tried shooting birds before and was very unsuccessful.

Haha Thankyou!

Nice set. The middle one works as a great stand alone shot as well but they are all great in a set like that. What focal length were you at? It can be hard getting a good bird shot but you did really well. 👍

Also I like the slight motion blur in the wings. It works really well, especially since the trend usually seems to be that most bird shots are entirely static for god knows what reason.

Thanks. The focal length is 300mm, looking though a window. I really like the blur too, probably my favourite bird images I've done so far.

Shot through glass as well? Impressive 👍

Cheers, I'm going to send them in to my local news show, they always have photos on before the weather, and judging by some off the stuff they've show, it shouldn't be difficult to get one broadcast.

Here are some images taken today, which was extremely overcast and foggy, so I decided to test out ISO3200 and see how it felt. All of these are directly from the camera.

The first three were taken using my X-Fujinon 55mm Prime held infront of my sensor, I personally love the DoF and tones in these.

4295981926_72154192c3.jpg

4295239573_d6de0e2002.jpg

4295988352_7b002ce927.jpg

My favourite thing about these last three is an almost painted quality to them, not a bad effort considering they were shot out of a car windscreen I don't think... but I'll let you be the judge of that.

4295245347_724908a1ea.jpg

4295993674_1cb6093a6f.jpg

4295996388_9a9e9cee1c.jpg

My new Minolta 50mm F1.7 af came in the post today, here's a quick shot I took in a lit room.

4313642561_f5ca985d64_b.jpg

First impressions are great, it's fast, quiet and very lightweight making for a very balanced camera to hold. I would definitely recommend any Sony user to pick one up over the Sony 50mm F1.4, which might I also add costs over twice as much.​

Congrats on the purchase. Very nice 👍

Looking forward to seeing more shots with it.

I really like both sets in the previous post as well. The misty shots are every moody. The lack of detail is what makes these great.

With the car interior shots, I really dig the tones & DOF. Great work as usual.

Not been in this section of the forum a while but clearly I've been missing out! Great shots of the Mercedes, I actually prefer the "reject" to the entry. Do you perhaps have it in bigger? I'd quite like it as a desktop :)

Sure thing. The reject has been getting more views on Flickr too, maybe because the Final Entry is darker people aren't as interested, personally I think it's nicer that way, which I suppose is why I choose it for the comp.

Here are some images taken today, which was extremely overcast and foggy, so I decided to test out ISO3200 and see how it felt. All of these are directly from the camera.

I love all of these photos. They're not perfect, they're covered in noise and the DOF and bokeh look really odd in places but that's what makes them interesting to me. I'd love to see more shots taken like this. 👍

Thanks Mog, I also really like those images even though they are technically speaking, hideous.
Here's another shot I took just after doing the cars, it pretty much sums up why I love this 50mm f1.7

4319181729_9285d3a484_b.jpg

I can see why people are drawn to the front benz shot. It showcases one of the most recognizable attributes of the car which is the badging. Plus it's considerably brighter. I would be hard pressed to pick a favourite from the two shots as I can see why you like the first one more, but at the end of the day I think I would vote for the second shot if the two were in a poll together.

*flower shot snipped

homerdrool.jpg

Loving all of your work SSU, especially the MacBook shot, great DoF and a superb machine taken :). Lovin' it!

Thanks for the kind comments everyone! I'm still ranting on to anyone that listens how good the 50mm f1.7 is, it's been on my camera permanently since I got it.

Also I learnt a few days ago I'm going to be attending the Focus On Imaging Show at the NEC in March, looking forward to that immensely. Can't wait to set off all the lighting rigs with a sneaky on camera flash action.

This first image I meant to upload ages ago alongside the rest of my Great Yorkshire Show set, silly me forgot to edit it though and I've only just got round to uploading it.

4342309532_c3d76dec88.jpg

Also, I took this in the local park the other day.

4341565477_c827b76067.jpg

Original 3800 something plus pixel versions on my Flickr page if anyone wishes to use as a Desktop image.

Both of these are sweet. The bird shot is amazing though 👍

Both shots look great, but that bird shot is astonishing! :drool:

👍

Wow, that bird shot is superb. Love it 👍

Thanks guys, I don't know how I missed it when I was editing first time round :dunce:. Also......200th reply! I'd like to thank everyone for the comments and contributions you've made, here's to another 200. 👍

Last edited:
It snowed like mad overnight so I wanted to get out and take some shots today, unfortunately my mates weren't as enthusiastic as me so I had a visit from two dogs.

4375297143_915b372bf6.jpg

4376057718_c4c57922c8.jpg

Overall though it's been a very slow week, can't wait to be back at college working on my next assignment.​

The first picture is just gorgeous! I like how the focus is on the dog only, whereas the background is completely blurred. The dog looks clean and sharp. Very nice. 👍

Thankyou! I love the first picture myself, it's something about the focus and tones that draw me in. Very pleased with how it came out.

Also I have 2 more Great Yorkshire Show Photos I've edited recently.

4382855057_9768fb5470.jpg

4383611516_379697a8a4.jpg

Heavy inspiration from all the high contrast Black and White photography I've been studying recently. I have a bad case of:

batman-was-at-first-like.jpg

To start with I thought I hadn't taken many nice photos from the show and sort-of brushed them aside but now I'm coming back to them I'm seeing more potential in the images.​

Last edited:
I'm really impressed. It's hard to get a good shot of the caped crusader, I believe he only comes out at night yet there is no noise... did you use Noise Ninja? :lol:

The dog ones are nice. The tones are especially cool on the white dog.

The high contrast b&w is great as well. The first of the two bird photos works better for me on a composition standpoint but I love the details of the feathers in the second shot so it's a win as well 👍

Gorgeous shots Sweetshop. Birds of prey are beautiful creatures and you've captured them wonderfully.

I've missed the GYS for the past couple of years but I really want to get along to it this year.

I agree, they're all spectacular. The detail is incredible.

The first of the "dog shots", is very crisp and I find it has a lot of...feeling.

All the birds photographs are stunning, including the colour one on the previous page. Very well done. ^^

Thankyou very much guys.

I've been at Focus On Imaging today, it's basically a big photography expo at the NEC in Birmingham. Had a quick mess around with the different Canon 1D models today, serious business indeed. I absolutely love them! They are so balanced and fit just right in your hand. One guy came up to me and said:

Him: "Is that the 1D MKIV?"
Me: Yeah....
Him: "It's like a Machine Gun TAKA TAKA TAKA!"
Me : *In tears laughing*

My jealousy towards Syntax has doubled now!

Also asked a Sony rep if they were ever going to make a film body to prop up their pro line-up, apparently not, although he recommended to me the Minolta Dynax 7 or 9 which is what I was planning on anyway.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back