Flyin' Miata Super Cup | *Congrats to World Champion Aderrrm!*

  • Thread starter Thread starter CodeRedR51
  • 4,456 comments
  • 227,764 views
Status
Not open for further replies.
My reasoning for putting up the poll is that it would give everyone the chance to qualify for the race on Sunday. Yes, the slower drivers probably wouldn't make it into the race, but that shouldn't deter them from trying. My only problem with the knock-out format is that I don't get home until almost 7pm Pacific, so I would need one of the Euro guys to help with that.

But judging by the poll so far, we likely won't go that route...

Am I correctly understanding your post as saying that qualifying will be open to everyone and only the top x number of drivers will qualify for the race?
 
Am I correctly understanding your post as saying that qualifying will be open to everyone and only the top x number of drivers will qualify for the race?

I think that's one of the ideas, but so far with the poll, its not the most favourable. My understanding of so far is that the lap times set 15 minutes before the race, will determine grid position.
 
Am I correctly understanding your post as saying that qualifying will be open to everyone and only the top x number of drivers will qualify for the race?

If we went that route, yes. But looking at the voting results, doesn't look like everyone wants to do that.
 
If we went that route, yes. But looking at the voting results, doesn't look like everyone wants to do that.

Crap. I was being dumb. Of course what I asked is not possible if qualifying is done 15 minutes before the race since only 16 people can be in a room at a time. :ouch:

I meant to vote Knockout style qualifying. I like the idea of having to earn your spot each week. With the way the driver and reserve lists are set up now, missing a single race isn't an option; as soon as you miss one race your spot is forfeit to a reserve driver, meaning you miss the next week as well and can't get back into the series until someone else misses a race. Correct?

The advantage of last minute qualifying is that the series takes up less of peoples time throughout the week. Last minute flying lap qualifying, right before the race, combines the advantages of the two styles, I think. This was done in the first Integra season, for example. Just throwing this idea out there.

Or, isn't it also possible to have several rooms with open qualifying for 15 minutes about half an hour before the race, and the qualifying times from all these rooms put into a single google doc to see who qualified for the race and who did not? Again, just an idea.
 
Last edited:
I voted for the Knock-out sessions. I think that would work better for the reasons you have said. :)
 
Last minute flying lap qualifying, right before the race, combines the advantages of the two styles, I think. This was done in the first Integra season, for example. Just throwing this idea out there.

Or, isn't it also possible to have several rooms with open qualifying for 15 minutes about half an hour before the race, and the qualifying times from all these rooms put into a single google doc to see who qualified for the race and who did not? Again, just an idea.

I don't like doing complicated things like both examples above at the last minute. Just too much to keep track of in such a short time. If we did knock-out qualifying all week long, that gives everyone a chance to qualify when their schedule allows, then by Saturday night everyone knows where they stand.
 
If we went that route, yes. But looking at the voting results, doesn't look like everyone wants to do that.

Wait, hold on.

If we do live 4-lap quali, it doesn't mean that we shouldn't have guaranteed spots, when you already made a "reserve" list.
 
Not quite sure I understand.

Edit: @ LongbowX - what's the status on the driver photos? Was really looking forward to knocking a few of them out this weekend. Remember they don't have to be perfect. ;)
 
Last edited:
When I voted, I was under the impression that those of us who registered and are on the drivers list would be guaranteed to race every week regardless of the quali format. Probably a misunderstanding on my part.
 
Since I'm in the business of making stuff up, I predict this series will be turning into live-quali format, no matter what the pole says :)
With Turbo delegating watching the quali to a number of people, so that he does not have to stage them all, but gets to race with the quickest drivers ;)
 
But I like my guaranteed spot on the grid, though. I actually want to race every week. :nervous:
 
MÜLE_9242;6089468
But I like my guaranteed spot on the grid, though. I actually want to race every week. :nervous:
I do too, just as much as making random predictions.
Seriously though, maybe run a one-time qualifier or smth. Since I'd hate to be one of those quick guys on the reserve list.
 
MÜLE_9242;6089394
When I voted, I was under the impression that those of us who registered and are on the drivers list would be guaranteed to race every week regardless of the quali format. Probably a misunderstanding on my part.
I had actually assumed that as well.

General - I'm in no rush to snatch spots off the grid from people who signed up sooner, so no worries on my end, I'll wait my turn.👍
 
MÜLE_9242;6089394
When I voted, I was under the impression that those of us who registered and are on the drivers list would be guaranteed to race every week regardless of the quali format. Probably a misunderstanding on my part.

Right now that's how it's going to be.

Since I'm in the business of making stuff up, I predict this series will be turning into live-quali format, no matter what the pole says :)
With Turbo delegating watching the quali to a number of people, so that he does not have to stage them all, but gets to race with the quickest drivers ;)

Think I smell a hint of sarcasm here or something, not quite sure I like it....

I'm not going to put up a poll then just decide to make whatever choice I want, I'm not heartless like you make me out to be.

The poll shows the results, and that's the way it'll be. If I wanted to make a sure change to anything, I'd just do it without asking anyone's opinion.
 
He wasn't being sarcastic, don't know where you could've pulled that from.

The only alternative I can think of is doing a pre-season qualifier again. But all this should've been considered before we opened sign-ups. 'cause the integrity of the series will be hurt against if changes are made after so many people have signed up with the original format.
 
I don't know, just seems like he's had an attitude with any changes for the last couple seasons and it's getting old.
 
Nothing sarcastic. I'm not against changes when I think they are beneficial for the large majority of participants. And I'm not shy to speak-up when I'm not convinced they are.
 
Anyway, qualifying is staying the same even though I know there are a few sitting in reserves that should be racing.
 
This is a series that I have been interested in since I got into GT5 in February. Now with the new DLC Miata, I am really excited. I have raced with some of these guys (dsg, brosif, wardez, just to name a few) in the Capp Cup series. I have had some competitive runs this season, but also some tough nights. In all honesty the 3 I mentioned I have not had many opportunities to actually race with as they are dam fast. I am looking for series/leagues that interest me and will push me to grow as a driver. I dont mind doing a couple pre-runs with some of you guys to see if I belong here with the new car. If my times and quality of driving are that much lower than say 75% of the drivers in the division, than perhaps I will be more of a problem and should considering giving my spot up to someone else.
 
That's really admirable of you to say that Trackbound but I believe that what you described is the type of driver we're always looking for so you're good man I'd say. Get comfortable.
 
wish i could race the miats again, but i dont think ill have time. might pop in for some practices or something.
 
Edit: @ LongbowX - what's the status on the driver photos? Was really looking forward to knocking a few of them out this weekend. Remember they don't have to be perfect. ;)

Ahhh. Sorry. I just was busier than I thought today, sorry. I'm going to have to re-shoot one, it didn't turn out useable. But you can have these three:

Moieman/Andil -
msn9y9.jpg


joshua1994 -
2s01p21.jpghttp:


paulmac2k9 -
2qa6xsm.jpg



Aaaaand. As a "bonus", I guess. I also worked on these that I took earlier:



wgrbdv.jpg


2zizyi8.jpg


volldz.jpg


2prz5dy.jpg


dczn6r.jpg


jj1fgl.jpg


333yag8.jpg





​
 
MÜLE_9242;6089394
When I voted, I was under the impression that those of us who registered and are on the drivers list would be guaranteed to race every week regardless of the quali format. Probably a misunderstanding on my part.

MÜLE_9242;6089468
But I like my guaranteed spot on the grid, though. I actually want to race every week. :nervous:

Right now that's how it's going to be.

I just want to make sure I'm not misunderstanding how the driver/reserve lists are going to work.

For whatever reason, maybe I misinterpreted an earlier post, I thought that if someone misses a week they are bumped from the drivers list and replaced with a reserve driver. I assumed the reserve driver's promotion into the series was permanent, and that the regular driver would lose their spot in the series, but now I think I see that I was wrong.

Is this how it actually works:
So, all the drivers on the "drivers list" have a permanent spot and are able to miss a few races if they need to. If a regular driver from the drivers list is going to be absent from a race then a reserve driver will have the opportunity to take the regular drivers place until the regular driver returns, at which point the substituting reserve driver will be placed back onto the reserve list.

By the way, I do think the above way is fair to the drivers on the drivers list. Us on the reserve list need to keep "you snooze you lose" in mind.
 
That's sort of right. What I said earlier was, if someone misses a week without telling me that they will be gone, they will lose their spot. What it comes down to is, I would really like everyone that is on the current list to try and be there for the whole schedule. Because I am allowing you to drop your lowest scoring round from the points, missing one race is fine. If you know you're going to miss more than one race, then it's probably best that you give up your spot to someone on the reserves list that can participate 100%.

@ LongbowX - DUDE! Everything looks great. I'll have to work on those driver graphics tomorrow as it's too late to do them tonight. I might just add a couple more of those racing photos to the first post. ;)
 
Wow Longbow those are some pretty neat pics. Great stuff, cant wait to get the DLC, and get my Miata. :)
 
That's sort of right. What I said earlier was, if someone misses a week without telling me that they will be gone, they will lose their spot. What it comes down to is, I would really like everyone that is on the current list to try and be there for the whole schedule. Because I am allowing you to drop your lowest scoring round from the points, missing one race is fine. If you know you're going to miss more than one race, then it's probably best that you give up your spot to someone on the reserves list that can participate 100%.

@ LongbowX - DUDE! Everything looks great. I'll have to work on those driver graphics tomorrow as it's too late to do them tonight. I might just add a couple more of those racing photos to the first post. ;)

:(
Dang. No one is going to be foolish enough to give up their position in a great series like this. The reserve drivers will likely never see the light of day. It's a shame a third division can't be scraped together. Oh well, that's life I guess. Thanks for answering my questions.

Super awesome pics btw.
 
:(
Dang. No one is going to be foolish enough to give up their position in a great series like this. The reserve drivers will likely never see the light of day. It's a shame a third division can't be scraped together. Oh well, that's life I guess. Thanks for answering my questions.

Which is why live, knock-out qualifying is better. :)

The reason I went with the current format, is because for the last season we were having trouble bringing in registrations. Races ended up not being full, so there was no point for knock-out qualifying because everyone would make the race no matter what. We just needed to determine starting positions.

This time around it's quite the opposite, and now we have drivers sitting in the reserves that are quite fast, capable drivers, and as you said will probably never see the light of day. 👎
 
How about we use the first race as a qualifier of sorts.

Top seven get locked in and the other half have to do a qualifer that includes the reserves to make up the last seven spots.

I think this is awesome.
 
We'd have to do that for both divisions though, and it would also have to be a separate race since this season is only 5 races, that would knock it down to 4 actual races.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back