For those that object to GTS or GT7 having Std Cars, what is your reason?

• Thread starter syntex123
  • 758 comments

For those that object to GTS or GT7 having Std Cars, what is your reason?

• I am offended that PD is going to sell a game that includes assets they created 10 years ago

Votes: 205 49.5%
  • PD needs to focus their resources on other areas of GT7 that have been lacking in prior releases

Votes: 111 26.8%
  • STD. Cars will lower the overall content quality of other parts of GT7.

Votes: 200 48.3%
  • I like to race using in-cockpit view mode, a black silhouette dilutes the immersive experience.

Votes: 138 33.3%
  • They will take up space in my garage for the cars I personally want.

Votes: 14 3.4%
  • I don't have a good reason, I just don't want them.

Votes: 19 4.6%
  • Other

Votes: 39 9.4%

• Total voters
After spending much of a day with GT6, I've raced mostly Standard cars - and on Standard tracks I might add. While the Standard tracks do tend to stick out like sore thumbs, I usually couldn't notice the Standardization of the cars. Vehicles like the Renault Clio, TVRs, 350Z, 240SX, 300ZX, Supras, S2000, and race cars like the Ford GT and Lamborghini Diablo. Most of them haven't been Premiumized like the Opel Calibra and 240Z, and it was still not easy to see any ugliness. Check that, I didn't see any ugliness. I really think that some of you are making up the nature of your outrage. Not from the visuals, a handful of ugly cars aside, but the idea that you have a game with occasionally 15 year old models. How many of you have refused to race on the Standard tracks with fold out trees and faceted hillsides?

I thought I'd do a quick edit and remind you guys that no one knows what's going to be happening with these lesser cars. Like the Calibra, 240Z and RUF, the models might be improved considerably, to the point that the models might even look good in Photo Mode. They might have interiors. They may suffer substantial damage. The technology is in place to do quite a bit of uprezing of assets and cut development time. Perhaps PD will be giving us the option to install the whole enchilada, while others might choose to install only the Premium content. We just don't know what's going to happen. But I'm going to repeat a "standard" refrain from me, that having those cars and tracks gives me a much bigger game to enjoy lacking these cars and tracks. I would rather have my bigger game, while you can ignore them, and enjoy your much smaller game.

Last edited:
After spending much of a day with GT6, I've raced mostly Standard cars - and on Standard tracks I might add. While the Standard tracks do tend to stick out like sore thumbs, I usually couldn't notice the Standardization of the cars. Vehicles like the Renault Clio, TVRs, 350Z, 240SX, 300ZX, Supras, S2000, and race cars like the Ford GT and Lamborghini Diablo. Most of them haven't been Premiumized like the Opel Calibra and 240Z, and it was still not easy to see any ugliness. Check that, I didn't see any ugliness. I really think that some of you are making up the nature of your outrage. Not from the visuals, a handful of ugly cars aside, but the idea that you have a game with occasionally 15 year old models. How many of you have refused to race on the Standard tracks with fold out trees and faceted hillsides?

I thought I'd do a quick edit and remind you guys that no one knows what's going to be happening with these lesser cars. Like the Calibra, 240Z and RUF, the models might be improved considerably, to the point that the models might even look good in Photo Mode. They might have interiors. They may suffer substantial damage. The technology is in place to do quite a bit of uprezing of assets and cut development time. Perhaps PD will be giving us the option to install the whole enchilada, while others might choose to install only the Premium content. We just don't know what's going to happen. But I'm going to repeat a "standard" refrain from me, that having those cars and tracks gives me a much bigger game to enjoy lacking these cars and tracks. I would rather have my bigger game, while you can ignore them, and enjoy your much smaller game.
Still getting a lot of use out of that color 19" Magnavox I see:lol:.

Pretty sure the Twitter or Facebook guy has stated that all cars will be "super premium" in GT Sport.

Still getting a lot of use out of that color 19" Magnavox I see:lol:.

Pretty sure the Twitter or Facebook guy has stated that all cars will be "super premium" in GT Sport.
Where did he say this? Not saying he didn't, just want to have a look at your source.

91013620160219180426.jpg

I really think that some of you are making up the nature of your outrage.

:lol:

Ah, the old "people don't like what I like, they must be making things up" song. Almost as old as the Standards themselves!

Like the Calibra, 240Z and RUF, the models might be improved considerably, to the point that the models might even look good in Photo Mode. They might have interiors. They may suffer substantial damage. The technology is in place to do quite a bit of uprezing of assets and cut development time.

As @Tornado said, nope. The basic makeup of Standards is incompatible with serious damage rendering. Building Premium-quality interiors into them would create a very strange hybrid, and an interior built to the PS2-era levels of the cars themselves would stand out like a sore thumb in an age of across-the-board HD graphics.

Want more extensive visual mods? A livery editor? Extensive damage? Keeping the Standards decreases the chances of seeing those applied across the lineup. They are the opposite of progress.

I get it: it's hard to let go. The hoarder mentality is a safe one. More cars may mean more to play with (even if large chunks of players don't even see a triple-digit garage count), but that means putting quantity above all else.

Personally, what has me excited about GT Sport is that this is a chance for PD to step out in the current generation with nothing but the best. No apologetic, last-gen carryover assets. Just the kind of high quality stuff you'd expect of a PS4 title in 2016. If a 13-year old Honda Odyssey or Element has to fall by the wayside, so be it. There's nothing wrong with PD picking the most popular Standards to be replaced by Premium counterparts: it doesn't mean a car is gone forever, it's just gone for now, until it comes back at a level of quality that befits the generation.

While the Standard tracks do tend to stick out like sore thumbs, I usually couldn't notice the Standardization of the cars. Vehicles like the Renault Clio, TVRs, 350Z, 240SX, 300ZX, Supras, S2000, and race cars like the Ford GT and Lamborghini Diablo.

Dude I know you like the cars, that's fine, but the models are poor, whether your eyes want to glaze over it or not.

latest

The car looks like junk, there is no way around it. If you want to say you don't see it or you don't mind it, fine, but don't claim those of us who do see it are making it up. It is simply fact that the model is poor quality.

Oh and also once again you're focusing only on the visual as you drive it. Did you notice the Standardization when you went to drive these cars in cockpit view? Did you notice it when you went to add custom parts to it? Did you notice when you raced in the wet that the wiper didn't work?

No. Just NO. Effort spend prettying up standards is wasted effort that could be spent more profitably in other areas. GT7 with any form of standard two generation old tat will not be acceptable.

Completely wrong way to view an opposing opinion.

When you strictly stick to interior view and all you have is a blackened cardboard box cut out, its not only distracting becuase of how odd it is, but also very much kills the immersion for me. I'm to the point to where I'll be absolutely horrible with any other view choice, and it's much easier to judge a turn when you can see the vehicle surrounding you, rather than just being in something that looks almost completely 2d. I think you're making up the nature of your acceptance.

Last edited:
I really think that some of you are making up the nature of your outrage. Not from the visuals, a handful of ugly cars aside, but the idea that you have a game with occasionally 15 year old models. How many of you have refused to race on the Standard tracks with fold out trees and faceted hillsides?

But I'm going to repeat a "standard" refrain from me, that having those cars and tracks gives me a much bigger game to enjoy lacking these cars and tracks. I would rather have my bigger game, while you can ignore them, and enjoy your much smaller game.

I am just going to address these two sections of your post because I used to be like you.

When GT5 came out I accepted the Standard car models and in fact, I mostly used them. Oh, the fact that I couldn't do anything to me drove me crazy, but I moved on and enjoyed the game.

When GT6 came around, my nostalgia for the older cars came and went. I was quickly annoyed by the limited customization of the vehicles, and the unfinished look that lack of interiors projected.

I love a majority of the cars in that come from the GT4 era, but time moves on. The PS4 is a powerful machine. Let's see what PDI can do with cars now.

Standard cars DO reduce the overall quality of the game.
Standard cars are commonly driven by AI, online players, and are cluttered in with the premium cars in the dealership.
Most standard cars are not relevant anymore, and are, in most cases, are a waste of space (duplicates, slow cars no one cares about, old models of newer cars already made premium).

If I was Sony I would not allow PD to make another game with ps2 cars.

I can't see how anyone could watch the beautiful environments and car models of GTSport and still think that standard cars would even be a remote possibility in the mind of Kaz at this point. The very thought of it is ludicrous to me. I'd like to think that Kaz has come to his senses and put them in the PD Museum where they belong.

I can't see how anyone could watch the beautiful environments and car models of GTSport and still think that standard cars would even be a remote possibility in the mind of Kaz at this point. The very thought of it is ludicrous to me. I'd like to think that Kaz has come to his senses and put them in the PD Museum where they belong.
Imagine using photomode to make 4K photos with standard cars in it :lol:

Gran Turismo is supposed to be a racing simulation and therefore people who search for maximum immersion will not play it using "Need For Speed View" but cockpit view instead. Now try to feel immersion in a racing game where cars are rendered with a black cardboard as interior! How realistic is that?

In GT5 I bought all cars, in GT6 I bought only premiums and that's it. Now I don't even consider buying a PS4 + GT7 if it brings back standards. Meanwhile I bought an Xbox One, Forza 6 and PCars, so that I have something to play with while I wait to see what happens.

Gran Turismo is supposed to be a racing simulation and therefore people who search for maximum immersion will not play it using "Need For Speed View" but cockpit view instead. Now try to feel immersion in a racing game where cars are rendered with a black cardboard as interior! How realistic is that?

In GT5 I bought all cars, in GT6 I bought only premiums and that's it. Now I don't even consider buying a PS4 + GT7 if it brings back standards. Meanwhile I bought an Xbox One, Forza 6 and PCars, so that I have something to play with while I wait to see what happens.

Sorry, but how is the cockpit view in any way realistic? Unless you have 3 screens, a properly positioned wheel and pedals, there's really no realistic feel to it. In your living room on a TV with or without a wheel, it simulates sitting in the back seat, or heck, even the trunk. Not to say the other views are realistic either, but cockpit view isn't any closer.

Standards are gone for GTS and given the quality of the new "Super Premium" and that the premiums weren't able to be used I think it's rather safe to say they're gone for good.

...Well, is it safe to say "Thread Closed" now? :P

I wonder how many "Standard" cars PDI are in the process of converting into proper Premiums...

Sorry, but how is the cockpit view in any way realistic? Unless you have 3 screens, a properly positioned wheel and pedals, there's really no realistic feel to it. In your living room on a TV with or without a wheel, it simulates sitting in the back seat, or heck, even the trunk. Not to say the other views are realistic either, but cockpit view isn't any closer.
Funny. I play on a single screen tv exclusively in cockpit view with a field of view setting that is 1:1 in multiple games. I can place my steering wheel in front of the absent virtual wheel and it fits perfectly and to scale (relatively, my wheel is smaller than most real steering wheels). And I'm right in front of the dash and not in the back seat. Go figure.

Why did they remove all standard many of standards were my favorite (toyota gt one Honda Castrol Mugen and nissan r89c) why pd just leave the cars there I don't care if there standard at least make the popular standard cars into prenium or super pruning or whatever it is. I don't want to lose the gems of the standard cars. Toyota GT-One please become prenium:nervous:

This is the only way I'll buy GT Sport.

View attachment 548227
That actually looks pretty good :D

I'll give the guys at PD 6 months to add at least 400 more cars or 300 or 200 or 100 maybe one just add more cars dam it.

:sly: Am so smug guys right? :sly:

Last edited by a moderator:
They couldn't even make the Supra into a premium for GT5 and 6 and I'd wager that's one of the most popular cars requested for the premium treatment. So to see race cars with high licensing costs fall by the wayside is no surprise.

On the topic of premiums, weren't we all speculating years ago how future proof their master models were (as seen in photo mode) and how they'd be able to reuse them on the PS4? Now it appears they've built their cars from scratch for GT Sport. The idea that they considered the premium models of the PS3 games as insufficient but would still include the standards is pretty laughable, so common sense would indicate that they're gone. On the other hand, this is still PD we're talking about...

I have a feeling that if Kaz gave us the option to install the Standard content from the game - tracks too, faceted hillsides, foldout trees and all, some of you would go into conniptions over the thought that someone, somewhere in the Playstationverse had those awful Standards in their game. And LIKED them! The OPTION to have that awful stuff... who would dare! Oh, the humanity... :lol:

My main concern with the inclusion of standard cars is that we'll be partially running the same lumpy physics engine of 10yrs ago. I don't care about the looks so much but I don't want compromised physics, I'm tired of the constant understeer and lack of effect in relation body roll (not to mention the ever quirky tuning system), I just want the same physics applied to everything so that everything can be fun and competitive

Latest Posts

Back