Ford Mustang Mach-E

• Thread starter RocZX
  • 286 comments

RocZX

Premium
United States
New York
but it's not a Mustang but a electric high performance SUV.

It is not the official name of it

Edit: not sure why Twitter is not working
Here a screenshot of Twitter
Screenshot_20180115-104449.jpg

Last edited:
Considering Ford & Mustang history, it's a bad name for an electric SUV.

Considering what 'Mach 1' actually means, it's a bad name for an electric SUV.

Can't they come up with something new? Or if they are determined to raid the intellectual property office, isn't LIGHTNING a much more suitable name?

d30abd9bd591a3ebd7cc5c6ea8b33aa14f81dc9bbe0f0ad468433aee969622f5.jpg

---
Something tells me it's going to be ugly like the rest of Ford's SUV & Truck lineup. I hope it isn't, but Ford hasn't had the best styling ideas in the recent years when it comes to their bigger vehicles. Also yes, I think they're using that nameplate for the wrong vehicle. Once again, I would have rather see the Mustang Mach 1 come back, not another performance SUV. I know why they're doing it, but I still am not too happy about this.

I probably should give it a chance though. I agree with the above comment about it better being named "Lightning".

The Lightning is what the Ford F-150 SVT Raptor should've been called.
No. Two completely different markets and points of the vehicle.

If anything, the F150 Tremor from a few years ago could have potentially wore that nameplate.

I'm actually not surprised. I thought it was rather suspicious that the Mach 1 nameplate hasnt been used since the SN-95. I figured it'd be resurrected as a Hybrid Mustang though.

Mach 1, for me, hearkens back to the days of humanity pushing the limits and finding new ways to go fast, so for me it works. In the hierarchy of Ford nameplates, it doesnt hold the same weight as Cobra, GT, Shelby, BOSS and GT350/500 do. Mach 1 was always more show than go. Sure it's a bummer that it's not on a Mustang, but it'll make an awesome standalone vehicle name.

Do you hear me Ford? STAND-ALONE VEHICLE *grumbles incoherently about disowning the brand if this is a gussied up Explorer or Edge*

I also think thay given the popularity of SUV's right now, it makes tragic sense.

The Lightning does need a comeback, but not like this.

Honestly, Lightning is just begging to be a high performance Electric Tesla-killing F-150. The name is just too perfect, I care not for the heritage. Lets look forward!

I love it when car companies do this just so I can watch salty tears flow from all the loyalists. :lol:

Reusing nameplates does not phase me though. Plus chances are the types of people interested in buying an electric SUV aren't the same as those looking to buy a showy V8 sports car.

I love it when car companies do this just so I can watch salty tears flow from all the loyalists. :lol:

Reusing nameplates does not phase me though. Plus chances are the types of people interested in buying an electric SUV aren't the same as those looking to buy a showy V8 sports car.
While I certainly dont take any pleasure in it, we spent a whole decade and a half being nostalgic in terms of car design. The New Beetle, PT Cruiser, Thunderbird, SSR, etc.

The Lightning made sense at the time, but now that electric propulsion is a growing and legitimate powertrain option, it would only make sense to see something like that revived for an electric truck.

The Mach 1 and Thunderbird lend themselves well to an electric future.

Last edited:
Why not use the SVT ? WHY DOES IT NEED TO BE MACH 1 ???
Because how many Mustang variants does that model really need? How many can it even support?

GT, Bullitt, BOSS 302, GT500, GT350, Cobra, California Special, SVO, etc. That's also assuming Ford doesnt want to make any new trims/variants. That model doesn't need Mach 1.

And we all know what "SVT" means and understand why it would be a terrible standalone model name when those that don't understand ask.

"So what's SVT mean?"
"Special Vehicle Teams"
"That's a lousy name, I don't get it."

Not to mention that the whole sub-brand/operation is gone. The first Raptor was the last vehicle to bear the acronym.

I feel Mach-I should be reserved for the Mustang. Sure, the Mustang doesn't need a next "trim" name, but it'd be like IROC-Z on a Trailblazer or ZR1 on a Colorado. Just not right to put iconic names on completely different models. However, it is just to get people talking, but that's just wrong in my eyes.. edit: heart strings...

Wait we're not going to talk about how craptastic that promotion for it was? I didn't know if I was watching a Ford advert or student remake of The Wraith.

I'm more annoyed that the nameplate is being revived at all than what it's being revived for. Not that the vehicle that originally bore the nameplate is so far wide legendary that the name deserves to be retired for all eternity--it's just another Mustang--but that it's being done to tug at heart strings in an effort to bolster interest and potential sales. Frankly I'm tickled that so many are being thrown into a tizzy over this "atrocity" because it may very well undermine the effort.

I'm more annoyed that the nameplate is being revived at all than what it's being revived for. Not that the vehicle that originally bore the nameplate is so far wide legendary that the name deserves to be retired for all eternity--it's just another Mustang--but that it's being done to tug at heart strings in an effort to bolster interest and potential sales. Frankly I'm tickled that so many are being thrown into a tizzy over this "atrocity" because it may very well undermine the effort.
They already own the rights to the name, and making a new vehicle with a new nameplate could be weighed as a considerable risk.

All in all, I think its a savvy move. All the lip service it will get because of its name is valuable. The controversy of it being a wholly different vehicle might give it more attention than it otherwise would have gotten.

If it's successful, I can only imagine that Thunderbird and Lightning will make a comeback as well.

Last edited:
A history lesson you say? Gladly!

1959_Ford_Levacar_Mach-1_01.jpg

^ That is the 1959 Ford Levacar Mach I. It debuted during the Spring of 1959 at the Ford Rotunda and is most certainly not a Mustang.

Love it. Ford should make this a production vehicle instead. I'd buy it. Have my own personal Jetsons car. :dopey:

Back