Ford USA - Ranger and Bronco Return?

• Thread starter Slash
  • 560 comments
A tough market to just jump into without a lot of patience - the Jeep name has tons of cache.
Competitors have come and go and some of them (Xterra) were quite good. Unfortunately because Jeep has been around longer and as you said people associate the name with being the go-to off road vehicle, I doubt there will ever be much competition in that segment.

Somehow, with Ford's push into aluminum bodies for most of its body on frame trucks and SUV's, I dont see the Bronco getting any special retro styling. Of course, I'm burnt out on retro so that may have something to do with it.

With the Ranger announced I could see the two sharing most of the body from the b pillar forward. I would prefer to see the Bronco and F-150 share more, especially if it meant seeing the possibility of a Raptor-Bronco hybrod.

Somehow, with Ford's push into aluminum bodies for most of its body on frame trucks and SUV's, I dont see the Bronco getting any special retro styling. Of course, I'm burnt out on retro so that may have something to do with it.

With the Ranger announced I could see the two sharing most of the body from the b pillar forward. I would prefer to see the Bronco and F-150 share more, especially if it meant seeing the possibility of a Raptor-Bronco hybrod.
I have heard rumors of it being Raptor based for higher trim models.

I'm surprised it wasn't sold there. The Ranger sells pretty well here.
It sells here (Australia) because we don't have F-150's and Raptors:(

I have heard rumors of it being Raptor based for higher trim models.
2017-ford-raptor-in-oxford-white.jpg

:P

Last edited:
On an unrelated note, I didn't see a Raptor thread, but the configurator is live in case you wanted to play around with one.

http://shop.ford.com/build/f150/?intcmp=show-bp#/chooseyourpath/

I went simple and business-only with mine, only picking performance related options (with the exception of the kicker subwoofer). All of the fancy luxury business only dampens the off road fun.

UregqM7.jpg

Kind of stupid of that writer to credit Trump for this. You can credit him possibly for Ford moving up the announcement, but these decisions are made months to years in advance.

He's crediting Trump for the news breaking, not for the decision of the Ranger/Bronco to be made anywhere or for any reason.

Last edited:
The Bronco in a perfect world would be aimed squarely at eating the Wrangler's lunch. That is, it's a short-wheelbased basic 4x4 with a removable top and live axles front and rear. With a V8 option, and a 6 speed manual. And locking diffs. And a retro body designed to look like a modern take on the original 1966 design.

In the real world, it'll be an F150 or Ranger with a bed-cap.

The problem nowadays is the removable roof has such a low chance of coming to market due to modern rollover standards. Jeep has its integrated rollbar system which allows it to have a removable roof, though it's possible its days are numbered as well. It's possible that they could reinforce the attached roof structure enough to mitigate needing a rollbar, but there's still the rear shoulder belts that need an attachment point.

The problem nowadays is the removable roof has such a low chance of coming to market due to modern rollover standards. Jeep has its integrated rollbar system which allows it to have a removable roof, though it's possible its days are numbered as well. It's possible that they could reinforce the attached roof structure enough to mitigate needing a rollbar, but there's still the rear shoulder belts that need an attachment point.
You answered your own question.
Jeep-style roll bar. Safer than any modern car roof, and looks rather nifty as well. Plus you can always unbolt it if you absolutely must.

The roll bar on the Wrangler is welded on, you can't just unbolt it.
Is it? The last Wranger I've been in was a YJ, which was bolted in. Granted, that was 2 generations prior.

Even without being removable, my point stands. The cage works perfect at getting around the rollover safety.

Do you guys think a Bronco re-release would raise the going rate on old Broncos?

The Bronco in a perfect world would be aimed squarely at eating the Wrangler's lunch. That is, it's a short-wheelbased basic 4x4 with a removable top and live axles front and rear. With a V8 option, and a 6 speed manual. And locking diffs. And a retro body designed to look like a modern take on the original 1966 design.

In the real world, it'll be an F150 or Ranger with a bed-cap.

I think the Bronco would work better if it filled the hole left by the FJ Cruiser (and the languishing Xterra). Use the Supercab F150 (or Ranger) doors to give it a short wheel base but access to a rear seat. Fixed roof to offer something different than the Jeep to those that want it.

Base model essentially has the F150's FX4 suspension, top end model goes Raptor-lite and give it the option of 2.7 Ecoboost for the base, 3.5 Ecoboost HO for the top end.

All of this scaled down to Ranger-equivalent in case those two share bits.

Depends how old are you wondering? 60s Bronco's already have some cool history and value so I'm sure it could go up.

It's an OJ special. Looks just like this:

6DG5lCB.jpg

96 top trim with the 351 V8. Factory stock and in mint condition beyond some paint issues from being parked in the sun for 10 years.

I wouldn't count on the values raising. There's no demand in the market for them because they made so many, and I don't think a new one will create the sort of hype to affect the older models. They're just not that special of a vehicle unless you own a mint 1st or 2nd generation, & those are valued more on being an old, well maintained classic than the model family they're in.

It's an OJ special. Looks just like this:

6DG5lCB.jpg

96 top trim with the 351 V8. Factory stock and in mint condition beyond some paint issues from being parked in the sun for 10 years.

Yeah...I think not. Especially when these were highly mass produced, You can easily find them...and no one wants to drive around like a murderer (yeah yeah he got acquitted)

Xterra is officially dead.
Which only furthers the point. I do recall reading it being killed off somewhere, though.

On that note, while it wasnt a particularly rugged off roader, I think the Honda Element buyers could be interested in a Bronco is it gets some lifestyle interior quirkiness.

I think the Bronco would work better if it filled the hole left by the FJ Cruiser (and the languishing Xterra). Use the Supercab F150 (or Ranger) doors to give it a short wheel base but access to a rear seat. Fixed roof to offer something different than the Jeep to those that want it.

Base model essentially has the F150's FX4 suspension, top end model goes Raptor-lite and give it the option of 2.7 Ecoboost for the base, 3.5 Ecoboost HO for the top end.

All of this scaled down to Ranger-equivalent in case those two share bits.
Of course that's exactly what they're going to do, shared platform and parts. I was saying that in a just and perfect world, the new Bronco would go head-to-head with what it was originally designed to compete with: Jeep.

A generic SUV version that would essentially be a 2 door Expedition will be boring, and people probably won't buy it. (Who buys 2 door SUVs anymore? Who even sells them?) but people do want fun convertible 4x4s. As the sales of the Wrangler definitely show. Also contributed to by the massive brand appeal.
The Bronco also has nameplate appeal too. At least with older people. And it's also a rather evocative name for those not familiar with it. The problem is, what killed it in the first place (the mainstream appearance of 4 door SUVs) will probably kill it again.
That's why I said it'd be better to compete in its original market. Small dedicated 4x4s.

The concept they released about 10 years ago was practically perfect. If they toned it down a bit, gave it a proper driveline (V8, live axles at both ends), and slightly modernised the interior (touchscreens, touchscreens everywhere), and played up the heritage in advertising, it'd probably sell like hotcakes.

Last edited:
Back