Formula 1 in GT6

• Thread starter TheRaikko
  • 357 comments
GT already has a Formula GT. IF there is gonna be a livery editor, we could just recreate the liveries of F1 teams which would be a more realistic choice.

That is the biggest Fictional F1 car though, and due to PD's lack of aero physics in the last games, the car is not very F1 like in nature compared to those that are F1 cars or those that simulate F1 cars. I would even accept having all current F1 cars in the game and just real time trials with a leader board and just race each other for the fastest lap.

Borrowed from another thread.

Not to be that guy, but those are all Lotus, I see a 78 or 79 the one that has Olympus on the side. You have the Lotus 25 (green and yellow) there is the 99t drove by Senna (yellow one). The fourth lotus looks like a 49 but it could be a Ferrari 312B. However, I think it is more likely a 49 since the other three are Lotus cars and the 49 did have the vents in the nose like the 312 if memory serves me right, the lighting is off though so not sure which it is.

It just seems inconceivable and/or pathetic to me that PD can't strike up a deal to attain the rights to mold and apply both classic and modern Formula 1 cars into the Gran Turismo series.

We're talking about the world's largest scale Motorsport game and the world's largest Motorsport series. I find it hard to believe a business deal in terms of sponsorship cannot be met between the two. The F2007 car was a blast to drive in GT5, and a fully supported series would be huge for the PD and F1 markets alike.

If memory serves, the FOM only retains licencing rights for three years. Anything older than that is fair game for individual licencing from the teams.

The FOM has no hold over the rights to the cars, the officially licensed McLaren MP4-28 was released last month in SimRaceway, and Marussia licensed their 2012 car to rFactor 2.

If you're willing to pay up these car are available. Sony need to dig into their pockets.

It just seems inconceivable and/or pathetic to me that PD can't strike up a deal to attain the rights to mold and apply both classic and modern Formula 1 cars into the Gran Turismo series.

We're talking about the world's largest scale Motorsport game and the world's largest Motorsport series. I find it hard to believe a business deal in terms of sponsorship cannot be met between the two. The F2007 car was a blast to drive in GT5, and a fully supported series would be huge for the PD and F1 markets alike.

Take it easy young padawan, it's all about money and feasibility. Modern F1 cars means a good bit of cash to acquire a license and Sony won't do that just to include them in GT since GT isn't a solely F1 game(too much money for a game that only features the license and doesn't use every venue and race series the license allows). Maybe if PD can get use of the license should Sony acquire the license to make F1 games again then sure that would be great but licenses like that are special and would require all sorts of legal crap. Not worth it!
They got use of Ferrari F1 because Ferrari allowed it and notice you cannot race the different year car together, see that licensing at work. Games can't even be fantasy anymore. I'll take more F1 GT's that come in up to date F1 design and power any day over wasting money on licenses that would end up being under used anyway.

Just going to say, Classic Team Lotus are separate from Lotus Cars if I am right.

Just out of curiosity, what guy owns (the rights to) Classic Team Lotus nowadays? :confused: I am sure the guys who developed F1 06/CE asked them right? (the latter question is primarily intended for Samus)

OT: Real, premium version of this, if PD manages to get the Classic Team Lotus license, anyone? :D

F687S.jpg

Take it easy young padawan, it's all about money and feasibility. Modern F1 cars means a good bit of cash to acquire a license and Sony won't do that just to include them in GT since GT isn't a solely F1 game(too much money for a game that only features the license and doesn't use every venue and race series the license allows). Maybe if PD can get use of the license should Sony acquire the license to make F1 games again then sure that would be great but licenses like that are special and would require all sorts of legal crap. Not worth it!
They got use of Ferrari F1 because Ferrari allowed it and notice you cannot race the different year car together, see that licensing at work. Games can't even be fantasy anymore. I'll take more F1 GT's that come in up to date F1 design and power any day over wasting money on licenses that would end up being under used anyway.

News to me, I guess I imagined all the times I did exactly that. :rolleyes:

I agree partially with the rest of it, but it's possible Sony would decide to pour more money into Gran Turismo.

If memory serves, the FOM only retains licencing rights for three years. Anything older than that is fair game for individual licencing from the teams.

Correct, but I suspect the game rights may become vacant pretty soon as Codemasters are in big trouble.

The FOM has no hold over the rights to the cars, the officially licensed McLaren MP4-28 was released last month in SimRaceway, and Marussia licensed their 2012 car to rFactor 2.

If you're willing to pay up these car are available. Sony need to dig into their pockets.

If you read what Samus, me and Tired was getting at you'd see that's not the issue. The issue is the FOM hold the right to allowing a simulation of their likeness, thus you can't race teams against each other. We quickly forget about the Ferrari F1 cars in GT5

What annoys me about GT is that it tries to spread itself over to big of a playing surface. They give us a few cars of many different series/classes i wish they'd trim it down I love F1 cars but dont waste time on just one licensed team, same with Nascar just concentrate on GT cars Lmp1 etc

That...what?....I.....HUH?!

That's the silliest post I've ever read on this site..

If you read what Samus, me and Tired was getting at you'd see that's not the issue. The issue is the FOM hold the right to allowing a simulation of their likeness, thus you can't race teams against each other. We quickly forget about the Ferrari F1 cars in GT5

This is known 100%?

And what about the Ferrari cars in GT5? Slightly Mad Studios with Ferrari Legends showed us that racing with these F1 cars isn't forbidden, they allowed us to race against 06, 07, 08, 11 Ferrari F1 cars, Polyphony could have done the same with 07 and 10 but chose not to.

What about Forza 5? The 76 Ferrari and McLaren will square off in a race.

This is known 100%?

And what about the Ferrari cars in GT5? Slightly Mad Studios with Ferrari Legends showed us that racing with these F1 cars isn't forbidden, they allowed us to race against 06, 07, 08, 11 Ferrari F1 cars, Polyphony could have done the same with 07 and 10 but chose not to.

What about Forza 5? The 76 Ferrari and McLaren will square off in a race.

facepalm.gif

Once again , FOM controls the rights for current racing year and previous year to show or simulate F1 cars racing each other of different teams. Who cares if you can race a F2012 against a 312B and current F138, they are all Ferrari and show no real measure against cars of the same generation from other constructors.

So let's recap, I just showed why all three can do this

SMS is allowed due to it being the same make, though the FOM may vary on who they allow and PD might have been told not to let cars be raced against one another even if both Ferrari.

FM5 may have gotten rights extended to it due to Rush and only allowed those two cars. There were far more teams than just McLaren and Ferrari in 1976. Also it may have to do with it being almost 40 years ago and only needing to consult teams and not the FOM. It still stands however, that when getting a License for F1 cars people are limited. Sony had to pay $75 million a decade ago for FOM F1 license rights, and when it came time to renew supposedly the price jumped a lot. To get a full grid of current cars and be able to user their sponsor, driver or any other likeness would cost tons and some of the tracks are under FOM license as well if I'm not mistaken so that hurts things.

Yes, basically:

- The teams owns the rights to the cars. They built them, they own them.
- FOM own the rights to "Formula 1 Racing".

That means quite simply you can license F1 cars as much as you like but if you want to depict something that looks like "Formula 1 Racing" you need to deal with FOM in some capacity.

The Ferrari F1 cars can race each other because that doesn't count as F1 Racing, as it's only one team and F1 racing as owned by FOM is defined as a team sport, races against different cars and so on.

Can't PD just do Formula GT generation 2 ,comparable specs to the current F1 cars and let us add our own livery

If the Ferrari F1 2013 can't appear in GT6, I'd like to see the FGT put into retirement and replace it with a 3rd attempt at making an F1 car. The FGT has run its course, something akin to the P001/ P002 would be nice. Or Indy Cars, that would get me hyped!

Personally I don't care what era they were to come from but I'd like to see some old ones. How about classic 50's or 60's f1 cars. Surely Bernie doesn't have control over all those?

The Formula Gran Turismo would be fine if a livery editor is in GT6.

Formula Ford type cars would be great too.

I've been saying that for a long time. GT really needs more open wheeled cars but not just F1s. It should some lower level stuff too like Formula Ford, F3, maybe an Indy car, skip barber, etc.

Plus, I really hope that they put in the Lotus 49 at least. I'd like to see a lot of classic F1s and it seems Lotus F1 classic has been licensing their cars to a ton of games/sims, so I really hope PD doesn't drop the ball because all of those cars are a ton of fun to drive. Would like to see the Lotus 49, Lotus 79, Lotus 98t (Senna's car), a F1 from the 90s and 50s, plus I really think they should bring back all the faux F1 cars from GT3.

I've been saying that for a long time. GT really needs more open wheeled cars but not just F1s. It should some lower level stuff too like Formula Ford, F3, maybe an Indy car, skip barber, etc.

Plus, I really hope that they put in the Lotus 49 at least. I'd like to see a lot of classic F1s and it seems Lotus F1 classic has been licensing their cars to a ton of games/sims, so I really hope PD doesn't drop the ball because all of those cars are a ton of fun to drive. Would like to see the Lotus 49, Lotus 79, Lotus 98t (Senna's car), a F1 from the 90s and 50s, plus I really think they should bring back all the faux F1 cars from GT3.

The Lotus cars do seem to be getting licenced to games companies in recent years (Project cars has 2 or 3). PD have already modelled one Lotus F1 (in GT3) so they could use that model rather than have to access the car.
Also PD have visited the region around the Ascari Race resort (which I believe houses a few classic F1 cars) and now Goodwood. They've had plenty of opportunity to model the cars, they just need the licences.

If they model the E21, I vote for the Monaco livery.thats a huge if, even with the Ferraris. But id welcome more variants of the Formula GT, such as a junior car, a cup car and the full blown F1 experience.

The Lotus cars do seem to be getting licenced to games companies in recent years (Project cars has 2 or 3). PD have already modelled one Lotus F1 (in GT3) so they could use that model rather than have to access the car.
Also PD have visited the region around the Ascari Race resort (which I believe houses a few classic F1 cars) and now Goodwood. They've had plenty of opportunity to model the cars, they just need the licences.
Which is not a problem if you consider SMS ISI and Kunos with a much lower budget managed to license them.

PD could have easily emulated the 3.5 WSR and to some capacity they don't even need to do that since it isn't an FOM series. In fact it would probably and should be easy to obtain due to the fact that Nissan and PD are such buddy buddy. Seeing and Renault owns a almost 50% shares and is in alliance. GP2 could easily be emulated. I think the best way to do F1 would be have Newey draw up several cars for PD with various aero parts and have us go to town. We can set them up and everything...

Back