Formula E Bans Pro Driver After He Hires a Sim Racer to Impersonate Him

Discussion in 'Console & PC Gaming' started by GTPNewsWire, May 24, 2020.

1. GTPNewsWire

GTPNewsWire Contributing Writer

AlexDB9 and AgentBlackDog like this.
  2. MisterWaffles

MisterWaffles Premium

This whole season of sim racing this year has been chalk-full of wacky incidents and occurrences. 2020 sure is something.

3. daan

daan Moderator

This is hilarious.

4. Kevstah2004

Kevstah2004

Wait is his name denial adapt now :confused:

Last edited: May 24, 2020
  5. Famine

Famine Administrator

And yet not the oddest thing to happen in Formula E...

6. roamer2629

roamer2629

I'd pay to know what his thought process was, unbeliavable.
    Pandemic keeps showing the best and the worst of humanity.

7. KepleroGT

KepleroGT

In comparison to the other "real drivers in sims" news, that's kinda hilarious :lol:

Last edited: May 26, 2020
    AgentBlackDog and davidt33 like this.
  8. FT-1

FT-1

Out of all the eSports scandals, this is the funniest yet. Perhaps he watched the episode of Top Gear where The Stig stepped in for James May for a race and hatched the idea! :p

Benny44, I-Runner, MrCrynox and 4 others like this.
  9. Cerebral303

Cerebral303

It's so cheeky I don't know how he thought he would get away with it, but it is so amusing that he was busted because the sim racer was so much better. It also got me thinking - we don't follow drivers just for the points they score, it's the way they drive. To think that no one would notice!

10. Obelisk

Obelisk Premium

What's next, the Stig showing up at one of the GTS events?

11. Mr Fahrenheit

Mr Fahrenheit

He's NOT the Stig, he's the Stig's eSport cousin!

12. Kevstah2004

Kevstah2004

13. Rustyhole

Rustyhole

Shouldn't he be donating to UNICEF? Funny also how he makes it sound like it's his choice to do it.

14. davidt33

davidt33

Well that certainly didn't end very well. What a stupid thing to do. I doubt he'll be able to live that down anytime soon.

15. Famine

Famine Administrator

Spare a thought for the 18-year old sim racer. He's clearly not thought it through, but a racing driver has contacted him and said something like "Hey, do you want to race against the other racing drivers in my place", and he's jumped at the opportunity...

... and it's got him banned too.

MUSC4EVER, KepleroGT, Imari and 12 others like this.
  16. 05XR8

05XR8

That's ironic, yet there is a kid's character named Captain Underpants. :lol:

The main story is funny though. I mean, it's kind of cool too. Hire a B-spec real Bob, while being the engineer or team owner. :tup:

curtis 1-8-7 and AgentBlackDog like this.
  17. Corsa

Corsa Premium

“I am aware that my offense has a bitter aftertaste, but it was never meant with any bad intention.”

Uh huh.
    It was just meant to cheat by hiring a driver that’s, ironically, faster than you Mr E PRO.

Even with two wins last year he’s a 7th or 8th place driver.
    Audi has better options.

AgentBlackDog likes this.
  18. Northstar

Northstar Premium

They all have the wrong name though.

AgentBlackDog and bloodyboyblue like this.
  19. Bloodytears

Bloodytears

Who wouldn't, really? This is a great experience and show off. Now everyone knows his name and his great skills. This is the best promotion. Ban is nothing to compare to gain.

20. B.O.B

B.O.B

I'm guessing (that) from some of the pro drivers perspective (in regards to esports) they have nothing to gain and everything to lose (hello Lewis).
    Nobody wants to look like a hack.
    As an example, todays virtual F1 race at Monaco ...
    Bottas' first esports race was ruined on the first lap (he eventually finished in the points) but when asked if he'll compete again he seemed indifferent.
    The pro drivers complain that all the esports games are so different and that they need time (which they obviously don't have) to adapt.
    I watched Charles Leclerc and Coach David battle for the lead in a very entertaining race at Dragon's Trail (with the chicane of death) where Charles eventually met his demise on the last lap. When interviewed, David Perel said that within 5 laps, Charles was up to speed.

Last edited: May 24, 2020
  21. Famine

Famine Administrator

:odd:

AgentBlackDog and MaxAttack like this.
  22. zeptrans

zeptrans

oooooooooh !!! The good idea... if any sim racer wants to make some of my GT Sport races... contact me (joke) :boggled:

During these "home" races, some of pro racers show bad spirit... and so different throught each categories.
    Exemple:
    - GT3 pro drivers were clean and serious, at GT World races in AssettoCorsa.
    - F1 drivers were stupid and non fairplay, at F1 2019 charity races (some rage quits in charity race events, maturity is not everywhere...)
    Yes, 1st one had official rules, and 2nd was more free, but...

Dan Hill and I-Runner like this.
  23. davidt33

davidt33

Saw it. That was a great race.

24. B.O.B

B.O.B

Ya, not like the **** show at Monaco today.
    It seemed like everyone was bouncing off the Armco railing to gain an advantage.

25. RustyCitroen

RustyCitroen

Daniel is abt to change his game :p

Regarding the virtual GP, I had the chance to talk very briefly on Discord with Filip Presnajder and Nicolas Longuet (both drivers in the eSports race) and they were both indifferent. I guess it's not a serious race for them, which I can understand... Longuet causing a crash in the last two corners with Kiefer and Haddad among other was something I dared not touch upon for fear of being unceremoniously booted from the Discord server... fun to see how their minds work.

26. tunaphis

tunaphis

Monkey see,Monkey do.The youth watch how business,government,individuals operate without accountability and adjust their morals accordingly to how best reach their goals.
    Best ringer award goes to Fine Cotton,A race horse that got painted,won and then almost bought down the racing industry.

Last edited: May 25, 2020
    TamasToth likes this.
  27. TheGeologist

TheGeologist

This is pretty funny. In all seriousness though, does anyone feel like the ban from Formula E is a bit extreme? Is it permanent? That driver can never return to Formula E?

28. Touring Mars

Touring Mars Moderator

Yeh, this was a really, really stupid thing to do. Esports is already a very lucrative business... but just like any professional sport, integrity is absolutely fundamental.

Whether one is just starting out or one is an experienced professional, this kind of conduct is potentially career ending. It demonstrates a fundamental disregard for the integrity of the competition, for the other competitors and, most importantly, for the audience... no-one likes to think that the sport they are watching is dishonest and/or tainted, and no would-be professional sportman, whether esports or not, should ever forget that - perhaps some people need to learn this in the first place.

sar593, ASH32 and Famine like this.
  29. davidt33

davidt33

The ban is just for the remaining e-racing series.

KepleroGT and TheGeologist like this.
  30. MSiAventador

MSiAventador

Stig-Abt it's a shame for Audi .